Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
A message for Scott123

Scott-
I just wanted to say thank you for all your help with the PolyD. Using your advise I've been playing around with it in several recipes and I think I have a pretty good idea how it works now.

By the way the Chocolate Mousse recipe was a resounding success, the base of which has given me some really good ideas. I think we will be able to make some outstanding fudge with this.

Thank you so much!!

Here's the recipe if anyone wants it.

Chocolate Mousse

Step #1
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee (you could sub instant)
1/4 cup water
1 cup PolyD
2-1/2 teaspoons Trish's liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons SteviaPlus
1/4 cup Erythritol
4 ounces Hershey's unsweetened baking chocolate

In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue whisking and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stirring occasionally, cool mixture enough that it won't scramble your eggs.

Step #2
3eggs

Place 3 eggs in a blender and turn blender on. While blender is running pour chocolate mixture into blender and blend well. Pour into a medium size bowl; cover with plastic wrap and chill.

Step #3
2 cups heavy cream

Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then fold the lightened chocolate mixture into the remainder of the whipped cream. Place in a covered container or individual dessert dishes. Cover and chill overnight before serving.
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
BettyR, what was the sugar amount before it was lowcarbed? I do not have your 3 sweeteners, but do have the polyd. I have a super concentrated sucralose, I have stevia, and I have xylitol. I will need to figure how much of what I have to use.
This recipe sounds great. I plan to do some cooking tomorrow, since I have the day off, and this sounds like a great recipe. Also, how many servings?
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Bfranke-
This is the original recipe.

Edited to add:
It makes about 8 cups, so it would be about 16 - 1/2 cup servings.
If my numbers are right I figure that would make it 3.62g carbs per serving.

Chocolate Mousse

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. coffee-flavored liqueur
1/4 c. water
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 c. heavy cream

In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, liqueur, and water to a boil over
medium heat, stirring frequently.

Remove the mixture from the heat, and add the chocolate chips, stirring
until melted. Immediately pour the chocolate mixture into a blender, and
add the eggs one at a time, blending after each addition. Pour into a
large bowl and chill until cool.

Meanwhile, in another large bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks
form. Slowly fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture then spoon
into a serving bowl or individual dessert dishes. Cover and chill
overnight before serving.

Last edited by BettyR; 01-16-2005 at 03:39 PM..
Old 01-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Betty, I'm happy to be of help.

I like your addition of butter to compensate for the milkfat in the chips. Very nice

I'm curious, how was the level of sweetness in this?
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Scott-
To my taste it tastes a lot like the full sugar filling in a French Silk Pie. I thought it was perfect.

My youngest daughter on the other hand thought it was a little too sweet.

The first born of my twins is my toughest critic, she can taste Splenda in stuff that also has real sugar in it. She hates the taste of Splenda. She said, "wow you can't even tell this is fake."

My son said it tasted like chocolate frosting when he first tasted it, but when I suggested that I thought it tasted like French Silk Pie he said yea, that too.

I think the base has a lot of possibilities. A frosting for cake, a good flavoring for a chocolate cheesecake, a base for ice cream, and with a little more cooking I think it would make a very good fudge.

Have you made any progress with the corn syrup sub? I'm supposed to be receiving my order of Carbquik tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to some good pancakes. It would be wonderful if I could also have some decent syrup to go with them.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
is there any way to use unflavored gelatin/ poly + sug sub?+?
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
I have had more bad taste from Stevia than other sweetners. Is it better in a combo or are you using it for more of a health reason or?????
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

griffin-
I don't know the answer to that question, maybe Scott will see it and know.

chickiemom-
The more different types of sweeteners you put together the better things seem to turn out. They seem to amplify the sweetness of one another and cancel out the artificial taste of each other. They have a term for this but I can't for the life of me remember what it is right now.

I use two packets of Splenda and one packet of SteviaPlus in my coffee in the mornings (I have a very large mug I drink my coffee in). I'm very picky about my coffee and I wouldn't drink it if it tasted bad to me.

Also there's a big difference between SteviaPlus and just plain Stevia. You always know exactly what your getting with the SteviaPlus, not so with other brands. I buy mine at Kroger.

Last edited by BettyR; 01-17-2005 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-18-2005, 02:51 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Bette, I did another round of corn syrup experiments and this is what I came up with (all parts are by volume):

2 parts PD:1 part water - thinner than corn syrup
3:1 - thicker than corn syrup

Based upon observation, I'd gauge 2.6 PD:1 water to be about right.

So...

1 C. PD (about 145 g)
1/3 C. + 1 T. water

equals the texture of corn syrup (nuke until boiling)

As far as adding sweetness to this...

I omitted erythritol as I wasn't sure about the recrystallizing aspect. I'll probably play with that later. Other than E, the only thing I had on hand was liquid splenda (concentrated version), so I gave that a shot.

1 C. PD (about 145 g)
1/3 C. + 1 T. water
5 drops liquid splenda (concentrated version)

should be close to the texture and sweetness of corn syrup. I haven't played around with vanilla or salt, though, nor have I gotten into molasses for the darker version.

I still have some tweaking to do, but if you want to give this a try, it should be close (+/- 2 t. water and +/- drop of splenda).

As far as pancake syrup is concerned... I've been looking, unsuccessfully, for real maple flavoring. If you want to give the imitation stuff a shot, I think it will work well with these proportions. It might be a tiny bit thicker than the real thing, but should be a perfect consistency when warmed. You also might want to add a tiny amount of stevia to improve the quality of the sweetness. Or, for those that have it, a tiny amount of ace k.

The one potential barrier to pancake syrup, which I'm not sure is a large one, is that polydextrose has a slight cotton candy like taste that can be a little noticeable at this ratio. I think the maple extract should cover this quite easily. Still, though, if a cotton candy note is noticeable in the end product - that's the PD.

Lastly, the PD 'corn' syrup is yellow. To obtain the right color for pancake syrup, I'd try a drop of red, yellow and blue coloring. This should make brown.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:52 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Griffin, I'm not sure what you mean by your question.

Are you asking if PolyD can be used in gelatin to give it a more sugary mouthfeel? If that's your question, I would most definitely say yes.

It is perfectly suited for warm liquid applications such as gelatin.

If you're asking about making a gelatin/polyd based mousse, as long as you melt the polyd in the warm gelatin first, yes, I think that's possible.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
scott, i have been playing around with the syrup ratio you listed and it has been turning out great. I use DaVinci or Torani syrup instead of the water and it's almost sweet enough and I don't add any other sweeteners. I used the 2 cups polyd to 3/4 DaVinci and it makes a syrup not quite as thick as corn syrup. I've made mostly berry flavors for waffles etc. I boil the poly & syrup to a temperture of about 210 degrees. The lumpy things dissolve at 160-180 degrees I've found. I also made a vanilla syrup and thought this might be a way to add polyd in a recipe that has liquid where you wouldn't get the lumps-because the polyd is aready dissovled and doesn't reclump-I'm thinking maybe the frozen yogurt recipe? Thanks again for your help with the syrup ratio
Now to go make this mousse!
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaideyes
Stats: 140/110 44 y.o. 5'4"
WOE: Moderate Carbs / Maintenance
Start Date: 1998
Scott123 said:
"As far as pancake syrup is concerned... I've been looking, unsuccessfully, for real maple flavoring."

Me too, and I just found some, give it a google! I can't wait to do your Polyd syrup, thanks for the ratios.

Pure Maple Flavor Extract
All Natural Flavors/Flavorings from KCJ
Use to make your own Homemade Maple Syrup
Add to Bake Beans or to any foods a maple flavor is desired.
NF-051 Natural Maple 2x Flavor Extract -Natural Maple Flavoring
2 oz. glass $3.75 (1/3 lb)__ 8 oz. glass $11.50 (1 lb)__ 16 oz. plastic $19.00 (1 lb)
Jaideyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Bassetmom, yes, polyD will definitely turn a davinci or torani into a thick syrup, which can then, in turn, be used in recipes. That's a good idea. For those that are cooking with Davinci, that could be a good way of adding the PD (melting it in the davinci first)

Davinci, is just water, flavoring, and liquid splenda with a little cellulose gum for thickening. I haven't tried it yet, but eventually I'd like to try making my own using polyd as the thickener.

Jaideyes, thanks, great website! Have you tried it? Do you like it? Any idea what the carb count is?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
When locarbman left the board we lost our resident expert on LC'ing. Luckily scott123 has taken over the position! How nice it is to have people so dedicated to learning all the new products and how to use them. Thanks to all of you!

JL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

JL, we are a community of experts. Every person that posts contributes towards the collective wisdom. It's that collective wisdom that helps us become better chefs, lift our quality of life and help us become better people, not one person's contribution in particular.

As much as I am flattered by your very kind words, I think everyone deserves to have the label 'resident expert,' because we all are
Old 01-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Scott: I agree completely with you - I learn every day from so many of our posters - “Chefs” - and I usually wait until several of our "experts" have tried a new product and reported on it before I buy it. But it's time consuming to look into the minutiae of all the questions that come up and you, and several others, should accept the praise and thanks from those of us who don't have the time (or patience) to be so diligent and dedicated to the cause. Anyway, like it or not, I sure appreciate all of you!

JL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Scott123, are you going to put your syrup, corn syrup recipe on the PolyD recipe thread? I haven't had time to play around with the corn syrup yet, that is something I would use alot.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Parrotchic, I haven't had the time to play with it either.

So far, I've got the polyd/water ratio down, but the sweetener needs a little tweaking, as does the vanilla salt. I'd really like to get it absolutely perfect before I put it on the recipe thread.

Speaking of corn syrup... light corn syrup, with a little tweaking, is definitely a reality. But dark... I smelled/tasted the dark corn syrup next to the blackstrap molasses, and although I think a bs molasses/PDX syrup will be close... for something like pecan pie where the dark corn syrup plays such a central role, I don't think a molasses based syrup is going to cut it. I know I'm being a perfectionist here, but hey, this is pecan pie we're talking about I noticed caramel flavoring in the ingredients for dark corn syrup. I think I might have to track some down.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Reviving this thread to ask a question of those who have made this mousse...

Is the coffee necessary? I ask because I'm not a coffee drinker, I like the smell of roasted coffee, but don't like the taste of brewed coffee. Does it just enhance the chocolate flavor or does this taste like coffee? Also because I don't drink coffee I don't have any in the house and would hate to have to go out and buy it just for a recipe.

Thanks
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I haven't made the mousse, and I don't like coffee flavor either. But I bought a small bottle of instant coffee just to use in chocolate recipes. It does enhance the chocolate flavor. I would try using 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of instant coffee. Taste the mixture. I think you will find that you can't taste the coffee. I usually increase the coffee until I can taste it, and then dial back. I am pretty sure you would be safe with 1/4 tsp.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If you want a REALLY easy, really delicious mousse (aka pots de creme in this case) - try stephdray's pots de creme. I just made them again for about the 6th time today. You throw all the ingredients except the cream/water into the blender, blend til smooth, then pour in the liquids which have been brought to a boil. It is SUPER easy and SUPER good stuff!

Here is the link if you want to check it out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-creme-2.html

Last edited by Charski; 03-31-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Thanks for the tip Soobee.

Thanks for the Link Charski. I'll look into both.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote