BonnyLass
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
First of all I'm very sorry about your DH, that is tragic. My heart goes out to you both.

I had RnY 5 years ago. Prior to that I had been on aciphex, nexium, all manner of medications for GERD along with OTC stuff like Tagamet, etc. I have never had a problem with it since my WLS.

However, bypass does not affect everyone the same. What causes some people to dump doesn't cause others to dump. I can eat sugar till the cows come home (mooo!) but I cannot eat fat anymore, or dairy.

I had severe vitamin deficiencies before WLS because my diet was mainly crap with no nutritional value. I don't currently have any vitamin deficiencies even though I don't take any of the supplements you are supposed to take. I have them sitting on my medicine shelf, just in case? I think I had a B deficiency after surgery but increasing low-fat protein resolved that.

I was not a WLS success story. I am still trying to get to my goal weight. I found ways to get around the limitations of the surgery. I was very unhealthy, mentally and physically.
I had RNY in 1999 so I can give you some long term information. I am 5'4" , my pre RNY weight was 285. I had the surgery when I was 40. I lost most of my weight in the first few years. Like the above poster I had no reflux or vitamin issues, and like her, I was, and still am the healthiest I've ever been. I maintain a fairly low carb diet, I don't ever, nor did I ever force myself to eat. I take an over the counter multiple, a hair, skin and nail supplement, and in the winter I add Zinc and vit D. My current weight is 133, it has been stable for about 8 months.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote