View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #31
cf1275
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cf1275
Stats: 235/210/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01-10-05
Thank you for sharing here, TeeKaylo. If it helps no one else, it helped me.

I, too, had over 100 pounds to lose when I began in January this year. It seemed impossible to do, but, hey; the time goes by anyway, doesn't it? Might as well spend some of it trying again. So, I bought Dr. Atkins' book--really just to see what all the "hype" was about (I had given up on losing weight; just wanted to see why Atkins was so popular).

I have lost about 23 lbs now; I haven't eaten "right" for the past 10 days or so, and I feel it. But--I know that it works for me--and how amazing is that?! It isn't something I'm going to fail at. I've felt that from the beginning.

Like almost everyone here, I tried many diets. I was a fat 50s baby--and I have the pictures to prove it! I spent a couple of years being angry that I was MADE FAT by the very person who used to criticize my obesity most; my mother. I think I've gone beyond that now to realize that it doesn't matter how I got fat; it matters how I STAY fat!

I developed arthritis in the early 90s, and the medications the doctors gave me for it ruined my gut. I was able to eat fewer and fewer things, but my weight stayed about the same.

About the middle of last year, I reached a point of no return. I was so miserable, I wanted to just die so I didn't have to suffer any more. Then I took a class at the local university in alternative health. The instructor is a wonderful doctor; a naturopathic physician. I began working with her on repairing my colon (I was heading for a colonectomy and was told by my regular doctor I was high-risk for colon cancer--of course, he only had drugs as a "solution"). I also knew that Type II diabetes was almost inevitable if I kept on that way.

After a few months with my naturopath (and 15 colon irrigations with another health care giver), I began to feel better. The only problem was that, now that I was actually beginning to absorb food, I was gaining weight! (Food goes through me in 7 or 8 hours--not normal, and not good. It means that even though I ate better than most of the people I know, I wasn't getting any value from the food. Hard to believe I could weigh 230 lbs and yet be malnourished!)

I HAD to do something. So, I bought the Atkins book. I can't tell you what a relief it was to FINALLY learn that my lifelong problem had a name: carbohydrate addiction. I've spent years seeing therapists off an on and spent a small fortune on self-help books trying to understand why I couldn't get past that glass ceiling that kept me craving chips, gravy, chocolate, and all the other high-carb foods that seemed to hold me enslaved.

It is so wonderful--reading posts here from others like me, and knowing that they DID it! I'm so grateful. It feels like my life has changed from heading towards defeat and death to heading for life!

Failure is not an option.

Christy