Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #31
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 233/152/125-130
WOE: Weight Watchers, IF and knowledgeable
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014 nov 2017
I'm out of out flour. I forget oatmeal So I can't even grind any. I'm making something today either "magic rolls" or low carb amazing bread in roll form. I need to declutter and clean the kitchen first.
Thank you for posting this for us Barb!
I'm up a couple of pounds even after a "not the greatest" DD. Was worth it though, we had super fun and if now got that out of my system for awhile.
So today the goal is to eat much cleaner. (Other than the roll I want with dinner) and drink 130oz of water with just lemon not sweetener. I need to flush out the inflammation.

I'm keeping my 129 jumpy man though! He'll be in my rearview soon enough!
This time is forever Thanks to JUDDD!!!!(and Fung)and low carb friends!
1st mini goal 134.9 Done!
2nd major goal 124.9. 10/25
3rd ultimate and final goal 120ish 11/18
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #32
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Ooh lemon water is a good idea. Leanne I too am still full of inflammation from over-indulging but for me (as usual) it was wine. This weekend I made the unfortunate observation that I ALWAYS over indulge when i am hosting at my house. I guess because I don't have to think about driving? maybe. Plus honestly one of my great pleasures is to entertain and share good wine and food with my friends so I do have a tendency to think things like "ooh- you have to try this wine, its a good one!!" and pop goes the next bottle...

So I didn't manage to do a MD on my weekend and I realized I have plans every weekend in October and then there are the holidays so I think I have to just remove that from my goal for the Fall.

I am thinking of trying a little experiment with my rotations though... I know there are mixed ideas of what fasting truly is, but I am wondering if you would all share your thoughts - I think Dr. J's thought was calories under 500 for the day is almost as good as fasting and you would still get the benefit from it (SIRT activation, etc) and yet other people feel you can't have ANY food for a true fast for the benefits. I do read Jason Fung's blogs and I think he is more of the "no food" variety so what do you all think? I know a true fast is no food but what is really the limit?
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #33
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think the lower the better, but even Fung says to do what you can. He also likes low carb but has said he has patients who eat noodles and rice. Lol I always skip breakfast so I fast 15 hours but on my DD I do feel the benefits if I stay within my low calorie limits for me that 320. Even if that was pure carbs I would burn it and end up in a fasted state as my metabolic rate is higher than that.

The studies that Krista Varady did was on 500 calories and I believe that is how the number came about on the 5:2 diet. Hers was for weight loss but Mosley also did it for health.

It is all very confusing I know. So do what you feel comfortably with you can always try for longer and if you want to. That's the joy of fasting it's cheap and you can do it whenever. And if you want to stop all you have to do is eat. Even Fung says he eats with his family every night.

I went out and got some oats! All ground and sifted my flour bake mix is ready.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #34
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
On the fasting thing- I feel like fasting gets thrown around a lot. For me- fasting is nothing but water. When I was growing up and fasted for religious reasons- water was all one could have.

I actually think the 500 calories is a bit arbitrary and probably depends on many factors including weight, height, age, gender. I know some people think it may depend on what the calories are made up of, but I don't know. Again, it probably depends on your body.

I know I feel my absolute best when my DDs are really low. During my weight loss I kept them around 150, but these days they are around 300. My bedtime snack is the same size as it always was, but I drink more coffee during the day.

It's become a bit of a pet peeve of mine to hear things like "fat fast" thrown around. I don't really think consuming 1000 calories worth of mostly fat is even in the category of fasting, but that is just my 2 cents.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #35
DanaC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DanaC
Sorry, could you explain what JUDDD is?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #36
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Leanne and Carly and I tend to agree with you on the zero calories = fasting. I was wondering because I am thinking of trying a little experiment where my rotations are M-Th low cal, Fr-Su as UD - just thru the holiday season. I also know that I don't think I could go for up to 4 days on 350 cal/day (my usual DD limit) so figured I may need to increase that to maybe 800 cal/day (picked that number from the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet). But then I wondered if that is losing the fasting benefits. So I thought - what about 600 cal? I think 600-800 is do-able and that is what had me thinking about the thoughts on where you lose that benefit from intermittent fasting. I'm sure everyone is different but I wonder, how many calories does it take to throw you out of what I am calling, for lack of a better term, the metabolic fasting state? (I don't want to call this ketosis because I am not strictly low carb).

I don't know if I am going to do this but thinking ahead about the holiday season and I am trying to find a way to balance because I must 'fess up- willpower in a party situation is NOT my strength! I have been doing M-W-F DDs but noticed in the last couple of weeks my Fridays have a tendency to turn in to MD after I get home from work...

Anyway-just thoughts rambling around the brain at the moment.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #37
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
its the Johnson Up Day Down Day diet. You can google it, or you can go to the JUDDD forum here and read up! its essentially alternating days of fasting. The JUDDD diet webpage has a calculator you can use to figure out your limits and on Up Days (UD) you eat more, and on Down Days (DD) you tend to eat less than 500 calories.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #38
DanaC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DanaC
Thank you phoenix17.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #39
TBipp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I am seeing the acronym "MD" used several times. I know UD and DD; however, I am perplexed by MD?
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #40
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
I am seeing the acronym "MD" used several times. I know UD and DD; however, I am perplexed by MD?
Mid Day. You can get your MD number by going to Dr. Johnson's calculator and using the 60% maintenance level.

MDs are a YMMV kind of thing. Some people do really well with them, but for others they usually wind up being UDs.

The most common reason for a MD is to switch your rotation. Then you would do DD, MD, UD, DD, UD, etc...

Some people have fixed DDs. Such as M,W,F DD and one weekend day is a MD and another an UD.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #41
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Way to go on reaching a goal, Barbo!!!!
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #42
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

so I'm back down to the lowest weight I've seen (when I was doing the potato hack) - it took me about 2 months to get back here. geesh. But I suppose in there was Labor Day long weekend away, the 6 day conference trip, and a few other events. But it made me realize that in the last two months I've bounced the same 6-8 pounds over and over. I really need to get my head on straight and focus. The holiday season is basically upon us (I consider Halloween the beginning! especially since I am having a party) and if I don't find a way to reign in this habit of mine to allow myself to not pay attention then January will have me STILL battling these same pounds!!!

So I am renewing my autumn commitment. My stretch goal (considering how slowly I lose) is 10 more lbs down by Winter (21 December).That is allowing for a few bounce weeks.
Short term goal right now: 3 down by the 22nd (weekend of party) if I can. and keep that for October. then 4 in November (net loss including Thanksgiving) and the last 3 in December.

how is everyone else doing?
Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #43
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Phoenix it makes no difference how long it took you have made it back and done lots of mini eating vacations while doing it.
It looks like you have a solid plan for dealing with the holidays and that is awesome.
I'm still thinking I might hit 125 by Halloween (High end goal) and think if I can just keep it together I will be at 120 for Christmas and in maintenance land. The only thing that will change is that I'll stop counting up days as carefully.

Today a DD, I've had my 320 calories in salty fried pork and a 16oz pumpkin pudding. I'm stuffed!

Tomorrow I hope to make some gluc fried rice. I'll make sure to report how it comes out.

Prayers for all who have to deal with Matthew.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #44
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Leanne - can you share your pumpkin pudding recipe? I LOVE pumpkin anything!! and Yay You for 125 by Halloween!! Wow that number is such an extreme stretch goal for me I can't even imagine when I would see that . (Last I saw it was... hmm... 15 years ago I think).

Thanks for the encouragement - these boards really do help me to stay on track, I'm very thankful I have this place to come talk out my issues, questions, thoughts, ramblings, and hear that I'm not the only one that goes thru the struggle and the bounce. Even though I lose so slowly, this morning I put on a skirt i haven't worn since the beginning of last year - and at that time I was only partially zipping it up and wearing a long shirt to cover the top part that was unzipped (can't believe I just 'fessed up to that) so if I had not stuck with my glacially slow losing pace I would STILL be in that same place.

Today's a DD, fasting til dinner and I just realized I hadn't planned out a dinner so I better get thinking on that or I'll get derailed!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #45
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here goes, not a real recipe as I wing it, but here's what I do. 1/4 to a half cup of pumpkin, 8 oz of 30 calorie unsweetened almond milk. A teaspoon or two of glucomannan powder a tablespoon of swerve or sweetener of your choice. You will need a little extra as the gulf seems to hide it. A teaspoon of pumpkin spice maybe a little less I just kinda dump it in. And fill the rest of the cup up with water. I have a ninja. Blend blend blend then let it sit to about 5 to 10 minutes in the fridge.
Today I made cocoa and coffee...

I also made noodles! Thanks to Peggy at Bottoni's low carb recipes!

Tweaks for pan sauteed rice/pasta:

2 eggs
6T oat fiber
6T glucomannan powder
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2t coconut flour
1 1/2C water
dash of garlic powder
1/2T oil

mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients, combine dry and wet, let sit for a couple of minutes, extrude through pasta machine

I cut in 1/2" pieces or smaller to use as rice substitute or desired length for specific dishes. I like the texture a lot better for all dishes if the noodles/rice are sauteed in a nonstick pan with a little butter for 30 secs. to about a min.
This is from the pasta thread under low carb recipes. So thankful that these wonderful people created this.

I was at goal a year ago I think. I was also there about 8 years ago and about 5 years ago

This time I know I can't ever go back to a "normal way of eating" JUDDD and fasting will forever be part of my life.

Last edited by Leanne21071; 10-07-2016 at 05:48 PM..
Old 10-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #46
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/145/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
SusieQ Hopefully you will try the bake mix. It's a very good one and I did
post the recipe. If you decide to work with it, I shall post you some recipes.

BTW you mentioned Dana Carpender and did you know that I wrote some recipes
for one of her books? You may see the name Barbo come up in several publications.
Have been low carbing for years, writing recipes and coming up with ideas.
Mostly I have shared my things with other authors. It's taken me many years to
come down from 225 to today's 147 and it's mainly been done the LC way.
It's been an interesting journey.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #47
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Barbo I used the bake mix you posted to make magic rolls. (I had to run out and get oat flour) They came out a little flat, no fault of the mix, but very tasty. I'm looking forward to trying waffles on Sunday.
Today I had a roll and pasta! Not bad for low carb.

So many great recipes out there thanks to wonderful experimenting bakers like you!!

Thank you Barbo!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #48
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

mmm I'm totally trying the pudding. I LOVE pumpkin and can be a low carb/cal choice and I don't know why I don't remember that until fall!!

I've done great with my step goal all week and weekend but I have yet to work in those other exercises. Its like I forget to think of it, if that makes sense!! I have to find a way to work it in to my routine. some sort of upper body exercises during my walks or something.

Nice work with the noodles. that is too much work for me plus not a fan of the miracle noodles so not sure I'd like them. Too bad because what a nice substitution for rice and pasta.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #49
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Phoenix they are so much better than miracle noodles..

I carb loaded last night. I did stay on JUDDD plan but I have been doing more low carb medium fat on UDs so I'm up 3 pounds this morning. I feel amazingly good about this. How very strange for me.
I'm trying to fast today with just water and black coffee. All is well for now when I cook dinner for the family it gets harder to just Not taste stuff. I'm excited to see what I'll weigh next week. Silly huh? I'm just getting so flipping close to goal.
Nothing will really change, I'm still going to eat the same way and I'm still going to keep alcohol to a minimum. I'll still weigh in every day.
I'm still excited.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #50
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Barbo is famous! Love you Barb x

Ye Leanne, t is hard to be patient when you can 'smell' goal. As you say, we go on much the same afterwards, but we are all so focused on the number, lol.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:53 AM   #51
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Barbo - many congratulations! Your journey and culinary skills are an inspiration to so many people. Well Done!

As for do-overs - I can't get behind them as I know they wouldn't suit me. We don't get to Groundhog Day, we live our lives as best we can.

Every day is a new day and an opportunity to do what is in line with what is best for us - and learning from mis-steps is part of that.

We can't erase a DD that didn't go to plan so it can be easier to stay with a schedule* and maybe workout why it went awry. (Not enough food the day before? Retrospectively unhelpful food choices? Stress? Unhelpful meal times? Just a day when everything started going wrong from before getting out of bed?)

*This might just be me but my food is pretty much scheduled for the week so changing days would throw me and probably not fit in with the Anti-Gravity Yoga, gym, kayaking etc.

Last edited by SlowSure; 10-13-2016 at 04:57 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 AM   #52
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I second the recommendation to read through the sticky posts you'll find on this JUDDD sub-forum page.

Also, there's an excellent collection of links put together by Ahna: https://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showt...ighlight=JUDDD
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #53
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YOU GALS!

Are so fabulous.

Slow the wisdom plus humor maven.
Carly: The example for us all
Kissa: Beautiful and filled with excitement of life and the
generosity of spirit to keep urging us all onward.
All of you are included. Each one has illuminated me is some way.
You all make me want to 'keep coming back'.

Everyone I have met here works to maintain their JUDDD status
and has helped,informed, and educated me.
You keep me going on when I
just feel like a fish flip/flopping on a wet deck

All returning JUDDD'ers have been welcomed back and given respect
for coming back and giving it another GO. (I am one)

This is my home and I am so thankful to have been blessed
by you all.

Last edited by Barbo; 10-13-2016 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: err
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #54
Barbo
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leanne

Happy that you made the bake mix.
Would you like the crepe recipe that I make with it?

Your 'pasta' sounds interesting. I use the Miracle rice and pasta and
have worked with it now and can enjoy it. I make zuke zoodles and
add them to my Miracle pasta and sauce it with a bit of my marina
sauce and top with Parm/Regg on top for a filling down day meal.

Congrats on your weight losses and looking forward to celebrating
your goal...
Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #55
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Barbo I have joined your site and and have found the crepes! So many things I want to try! I'm looking forward to trying the "Big old fluffy biscuit" I'm looking at the easy eggwich maker on Amazon as I type this!

My daughter wanted a Mac and cheese last night. I made up the spaghetti noodles and pork rind meatballs and I dumped cheese sauce over all of it and baked it. The whole family enjoyed it.
I'm up a little today but as its a DD today all is well!

I hope your feeling better. It is hard to stay with an eating plan when your body doesn't want to cooperate.