Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cholesterol Code results

Some of you may know about Dave Feldman who has been experimenting with several 'hacks' for those trying to lower cholesterol numbers for things like insurance. I don't have any concern, but my doctors have been 'making noises' about increasing LDL (too much Kerrygold?), despite the fact that I have high HDL and low trigs, which is positive for heart health.

Dave's latest experiment involved carbs for those of us who regularly eat very low carb. He added about 100g of carbs for 3 days prior to testing and lowered his LDL significantly. I get labs every 4 months, so I decided to try it myself.

I recall that when I took a GTT, the rule was at least 150g of carbs for 3 days prior to testing, so I thought that might be some metabolic 'switch' that would work on LDL. So I did that, drastically reducing fat as I increased carbs. Dave also advises only 12-14 hours fasting before the blood draw, so that meant eating later in the evening than I usually do.

I got the results today and was astounded--my excellent HDL and trigs stayed at their levels, but my LDL dropped 45 points! I was not trying to 'fool' my doctors, so when my endo remarked on the excellent drop in LDL, I explained what I'd done and how I thought it might be similar to the GTT--i.e., this might actually be a more accurate assessment of my LDL than if I'd remained in ketosis. He agreed that it was a reasonable assumption and saw no problem with my doing this at all.

By the way, I went happily back to my VLC eating right after the blood draw and had no cravings, etc. from my 'experiment.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
That's very interesting.

Not that I would recommend this, but a friend of DH's (52 years old) likes to tell the story of his "best" cholesterol numbers ever.... the day he ate a red velvet cupcake for breakfast before he had blood drawn. He has decided fasting before was the real problem with all of his other tests. I'm not quite sure how serious he is.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Wow, interesting stuff. I'm not experimenting but I had been eating low carb because of a prediabetic A1c. Unfortunately, eating low carb did nothing to lower my A1c so my doctor prescribed Metformin as a preventative. But I digress. My doctor told me that I'm not diabetic and that I should relax my diet with the carbs so I did. To my surprise, my subsequent blood tests showed lower LDL and lower A1c. I didn't specifically make any changes to my fat intake. Like Leo, I also have high HDL (98) and low Trigs (around 90), but that is with a statin. Not sure what my numbers are without a statin as I've been on it for 15 years. Leo, what carbs did you add? Did you enjoy eating them again?
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Ronnie-

I tried to eat 'healthy' carbs (and I avoid gluten because of my Hashi's), so I ate gluten-free bread, brown rice, beans, and brussels sprouts. I kept fat very low and ate my normal amount of protein.

This is one of three 'hacks' that Dave has on his website, and it seems to have worked for me.

At day 3, I felt a surge of appetite (from leaving ketosis, I'm sure), but after the blood draw I was able to get back into ketosis easily with no lingering 'cravings.'

Last edited by Leo41; 07-06-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Ronnie-

I tried to eat 'healthy' carbs (and I avoid gluten because of my Hashi's), so I ate gluten-free bread, brown rice, beans, and brussels sprouts. I kept fat very low and ate my normal amount of protein.

This is one of three 'hacks' that Dave has on his website, and it seems to have worked for me.

At day 3, I felt a surge of appetite (from leaving ketosis, I'm sure), but after the blood draw I was able to get back into ketosis easily with no lingering 'cravings.'
I admire your commitment to healthy eating, Leo. I was never taught how to eat healthy and, as a result, I didn't develop a healthier diet until I was an adult and became interested in exercise and a healthy lifestyle. But I fear by then the damage had already been done, especially my emotional attitude towards food. I still struggle today to eat healthy and crave foods I eliminated from my diet years ago. But that's another story. I appreciate your sharing.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #6
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Ronnie-
I was raised with 'accidentally' heathy eating--Italian-American family that ate pretty much what is now known as the Mediterranean diet. We never had desserts (except at holidays), and I'm so old that fast food places didn't exist when I was growing up. My stay-at-home mother cooked from scratch, and when I was young, I remember her shopping for fresh vegetables daily.

Alas, my carb sensitivity (which no one knew about in those days) got me obese on that healthy diet because of all that pasta and delicious breads, but I suspect that's why I never developed any obesity-related illnesses--and why I thrive eating healthily (sans carbs) these days.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
How interesting Leo. Thanks for the share. I know for our family, we have to do annual physicals to get the insurance discount and this hack conversation has come up.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Stevie Renee-

You might want to check out Dave's website Cholesterol Code because he has various 'hacks,' along with results--his own and others. What he's showing is how variable and fluid cholesterol 'numbers' can be--which is why it's so annoying that doctors will respond to a single result and prescribe Rx.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #9
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Thanks Leo. Will do.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I have a sincere question about this cholesterol topic.

If you are eating as healthfully as you can, and you have no intention of taking statin drugs, why listen to these doctors' BS about various cholesterol numbers and issues? Why even see a doctor for this reason?

I really don't understand the constant going to doctors for these tests and then having to argue with them about what the results mean. Especially since many on here know more than most doctors about the intricacies of the data, and the doctors are just following their computer-generated protocols.

I'm in my 70's and I don't care what my cholesterol is; I eat LC so my triglycerides should be as good as possible right now, although they should improve as I continue to lose weight.

If I wanted these tests done, I would probably go to an independent lab, where my results would be given directly to me.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

To answer your question, susan, my doctor makes me come in every three months or he will not renew my other meds for blood pressure and thyroid. I must take those meds. And he takes blood tests every time I'm there. I guess I can always switch doctors, but I've been going to him for a very long time and it's not easy to switch doctors in my opinion. Edited to add that I am on a statin drug, have been for around 15 years. I have a fraternal twin sister who has coronary artery disease and a brother with diabetes, so I'm actually nervous about making any changes now to rock the boat. Also, statins do help with inflammation, so that's another reason I stay on it.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 07-15-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
Thank you for your reply, Ronnie. I guess I would be furious if I felt a doctor was holding me "hostage" in that manner.

We all have to do what we have to do. I refuse to take Big Pharma drugs except for acute situations. Maybe I'll die sooner because of my beliefs, IDK.

But I hate what our medical system has become and I am doing the best I can on my own. It is what it is.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Susan-
When a person takes Rx (as I do for my thyroid and Ronnie does for other issues), the doctor must make sure that the Rx is working properly and that the person remains healthy. That's a professional responsibility that I respect. And that's why I have regular labs. I take supplemental thyroid hormones (Rx) because without them, I'd be dead--and I will need them for life.

Quite frankly, at age 76, I like the fact that I have regular labs because there are illnesses that present no symptoms but show early in lab work. It's nice to catch things early OR (as I've been fortunate) to know that I remain healthy. My thyroid hormones are technically not 'meds,' and at my age taking NO other Rx is significant. Like you, I don't believe in taking anything unless it's necessary for my health, and my doctors all agree with that.

My doctors do not 'hound' me about cholesterol numbers; but they do remind me that a lower LDL is preferable--although because my HDL is so high, it's not a pressing issue.

The real villains are not physicians but some health insurance companies that 'demand' certain lab values. That's one of the reasons Dave Feldman experimented with protocols that can lower cholesterol numbers for those whose insurance might be jeopardized.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Susan-
When a person takes Rx (as I do for my thyroid and Ronnie does for other issues), the doctor must make sure that the Rx is working properly and that the person remains healthy. That's a professional responsibility that I respect. And that's why I have regular labs. I take supplemental thyroid hormones (Rx) because without them, I'd be dead--and I will need them for life.

Quite frankly, at age 76, I like the fact that I have regular labs because there are illnesses that present no symptoms but show early in lab work. It's nice to catch things early OR (as I've been fortunate) to know that I remain healthy. My thyroid hormones are technically not 'meds,' and at my age taking NO other Rx is significant. Like you, I don't believe in taking anything unless it's necessary for my health, and my doctors all agree with that.

My doctors do not 'hound' me about cholesterol numbers; but they do remind me that a lower LDL is preferable--although because my HDL is so high, it's not a pressing issue.

The real villains are not physicians but some health insurance companies that 'demand' certain lab values. That's one of the reasons Dave Feldman experimented with protocols that can lower cholesterol numbers for those whose insurance might be jeopardized.
Leo, I agree with you about illnesses showing early in lab work. My Mom's routine blood test showed she was quite anemic and had never had that issue before. Her hemoglobin was so low, the doctor immediately sent her to the hospital for a transfusion. She hadn't had symptoms except for some light headedness which wasn't really new. Turns out she had stomach cancer and was bleeding from her stomach. That was six years ago and after major surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, she is doing quite well now at age 88. I hate to think what would have happened had she not had that blood test.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
kcjc7878
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kcjc7878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Wow, interesting stuff. I'm not experimenting but I had been eating low carb because of a prediabetic A1c. Unfortunately, eating low carb did nothing to lower my A1c so my doctor prescribed Metformin as a preventative. But I digress. My doctor told me that I'm not diabetic and that I should relax my diet with the carbs so I did. To my surprise, my subsequent blood tests showed lower LDL and lower A1c. I didn't specifically make any changes to my fat intake. Like Leo, I also have high HDL (98) and low Trigs (around 90), but that is with a statin. Not sure what my numbers are without a statin as I've been on it for 15 years. Leo, what carbs did you add? Did you enjoy eating them again?
Results may vary across the board for each individual. I think being open to self-experimentation is key. Many people assume low carb will fix everything, but it's just not that simple! Thank you for sharing your own experience.

One point to mention is that statins can lower CoQ10 levels in the body. CoQ10 is really important for heart health so you definitely want to correct low levels with a supplement if you aren't already.

Here's a research article on statins and CoQ10 is you want to read more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8463436
kcjc7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #16
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
I don't have any problem with having lab work done. I like knowing where I stand. I don't believe we have to take a med that is recommended by the doctor. It's our choice, especially with statins. They can write a prescription, but can't make us take it.

I also have to keep my regular appointments with my doctor in order to get renewals for my meds. I think most doctors do that. I agree that it's their job to know how your meds are working for you.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote