Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Wishitaway
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishitaway
Stats: 260/253/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 9/12/16
Is this normal?

Hello there,

I am on day 6 of my first week of LCHF. Things have been going well overall. Day 3 was the worst by far and Day 4 I seemed to turn the corner on the headache/flu feelings. I am using urine Keto sticks since I do not have the money to go the blood route right now. They indicate large amounts of ketones.

My question is I am feeling a good deal of weakness at times. I guess I am wondering if this is normal and will work itself out with time? By weakness I mean my muscles feel weak and fatigues and it becomes more difficult to do daily activities. As if I have to will myself to keep on.

I have read a ton about LCHF so I am drinking salty broth and taking a vitamin that contains potassium/mag as well as extra mag. I am also much higher on fat than any other macro. Working hard to keep carbs under 20g and protein under 50g. I also feel like I am well hydrated at this point.

I am struggling to eat 3 meals, but my calories are plenty high around 1700 or so. I started at 260 and am 5'4" and age 44.

I guess I was thinking that maybe my body is not totally adapted to this and that is the cause. Just looking for some reassurance that others had this or if not what it could be. When it comes on I feel so bad for a little while.

I have lost 7 pounds so I am hoping with how things are going.

Thank you for your answers!
Wishitaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sounds like you have things well in control. The lack of energy is likely due to the body not being good at using fat for energy. Most of us come to this in as a primarily glucose burner. It takes time to adapt to burning fat in an efficient way.

The ketostix are indicating that you are making ketones (great) but that you are also spilling (or wasting) them. Your cells will become more adept at using them and you will feel much more energetic. This transition is highly individual. Hang in there. It will be worth it!

In the meantime, be sure to keep up fluids, consume at least 2 cups of salty broth per day and post and read here as often as you can.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
Wishitaway
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishitaway
Stats: 260/253/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 9/12/16
Thank you! Just to hear this can be normal is reassuring. I will keep at it. I think today was slightly better.

I am having trouble eating more than twice a day or being near what calories I probably should be for my weight. Is this something I should be concerned about? Will it cause my weight loss to stall in the long run?

I honestly find it so hard to eat that third meal. I assumed if I was satisfied it was most likely alright, especially when I read and hear so much about IF. I am not really trying to do that so early on. It just seems to be working out that way.

Thank you again!
Wishitaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
You dont need to be concerned with not eating 3 meals a day. If you dont feel hungry, dont eat. I got consumed with following rules about calorie numbers, net carbs, fiber, sugar etc. From hindsight now, when you are in weight loss mode, the focus needs to be on the proportions of fat, carbs and protein, and as long as you limit the non-veg carbs, everything else will fall into place, and just remember you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. As long as you feel healthy, energetic, getting through the day etc, then don't worry about being under a calorie intake.

You will get to a point where you will stop losing weight before your goal, and you can just keep tweaking your program, but right now your losing weight so just enjoy that experience.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #5
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I agree that you would be wise to not focus on 3 meals or calories. The nice thing about keto is that your diminished appetite is what is very normal and you are to eat to satisfaction and that means don't eat if you are not hungry.

The idea that you might thwart your weight loss by not eating much is true but only in a higher carb diet. With keto, it doesn't happen because you are training your body to use fat as it's main fuel. This means that you have a large, store of 'calories' in the form of body fat, to which you want your body to access.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
I agree with the others regarding your symptoms, but under 50 g protein a day sounds extremely low to me. I am a 46 year old female and I aim for 70-75 g protein/day at least when I am tracking. There is an NK faction out there that says protein should be even higher, and that works for some. You might try upping your protein to around 75 g/day and see how you feel.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

I agree with Mistizoom. According to your goal weight (150) you should plan .5 grams of protein be lb. and that would be 75g or protein. I don't think it is a problem to eat under that amount generally but everyone is different and if you are not feeling well, I would think this might be a good place to start.

We are butter together!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I agree with Mistizoom. According to your goal weight (150) you should plan .5 grams of protein be lb. and that would be 75g or protein. I don't think it is a problem to eat under that amount generally but everyone is different and if you are not feeling well, I would think this might be a good place to start.
Cathy, the recommendations I have read for protein are .5 grams of protein per lean body mass not total pounds.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Yes, I have read that too. I tend towards the simplistic calculation just for ease but almost certainly is too high for most people.

We are butter together!
Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 12/ Size 10
WOE: (75/20/5) 50g protein
Start Date: Restart: 1st November 2015
Hey, wishitaway! It's normal to feel a bit weak in the first few weeks days and even weeks as your body becomes fat adapted. It takes me about 6 weeks to feel 'normal', but the 'new normal' when I'm fat adapted is far more energetic than when I'm using glucose for fuel. I'm sure your body will settle into it over the next few days and weeks.

Regarding calories and eating enough - I wouldn't worry about it. I was a bit concerned myself about going into 'starvation mode' because my appetite went the right down, but after watching a presentation Dr Jason Fung did about it I was reassured that on low carb that would not happen.

Essentially if your insulin is low (which it probably will be if you're low carb and not eating much), the pathways to your stored fat are not blocked, hence your metabolic rate will not reduce in line with your reduced calorie intake and you will not go into starvation mode (i. e. your body has unimpeded access to all the fuel it needs in your fat stores because your insulin is low so it has no need to reduce energy expenditure to accommodate reduced energy intake).

Good luck, you're doing great by the sounds of it!
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Kimmikamketo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmikamketo
Stats: 309/234/170
WOE: LCHF/NUTRI KETOSIS
Start Date: OCT 2016
Question on Ketone sticks.

[QUOTE=clackley;17521011]
The ketostix are indicating that you are making ketones (great) but that you are also spilling (or wasting) them. Your cells will become more adept at using them and you will feel much more energetic. This transition is highly individual. Hang in there. It will be worth it!

Do you think after 7 or 8 weeks on the LCHF lifestyle that the Ketone sticks may not give you the information you need because your body is getting better at using fat for fuel?? I am considering purchasing a glucose monitor. Thank you for any help on this!
Kimmikamketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Absolutely!

We are butter together!