Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #121
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Charski, I never have constipation, so that kills that theory. All my life I have always has very easy bowel movements, actually leaning toward the other way. And since I have always eaten such a wide variety of foods, I've never been able to pin-point a trigger. One thing I've always eaten is a lot of popcorn. You know how were were always told that popcorn was such a good snack for dieters.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #122
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Yeah, I'm avoiding popcorn like the plague, LOL!

We got some deli sandwiches, sub-type, yesterday to take up to my Dad's while we dealt with some of the trust stuff. After the first big bite, I realized that roll was COVERED in sesame seeds! Been avoiding all seeds since my attack - so I pulled out the innards and ate those, as well as the fluffy inside bread. No point tempting fate!

I do think constipation was the trigger for my attack. I know that the week prior I was having some "problems" in that area and I think straining to go was probably the reason I had a blowout. Who knows. I just know I'm gonna be REAL careful NOT to get back there again!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #123
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Charski, I never have constipation, so that kills that theory. All my life I have always has very easy bowel movements, actually leaning toward the other way. And since I have always eaten such a wide variety of foods, I've never been able to pin-point a trigger. One thing I've always eaten is a lot of popcorn. You know how were were always told that popcorn was such a good snack for dieters.
I've never had a problem with constipation either, no matter what kind of diet I have followed. It has been years since I ate grains but, if I did, I would be concerned about popcorn.

Both of my known trigger foods are high in fiber & rather hard; I can see how bits & pieces of them would easily get stuck in pockets. When I eat nuts now, I tend to select kinds that are softer than almonds. I eat raw nuts to avoid unhealthy oils used in most roasted ones. I do occasionally eat seeds and have had no problems with them.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
King James Version (KJV), Ecclesiastes 3:1
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #124
Charski
Gadget Gal

So I have to tell on myself!

DH and I sit every morning and many evenings at our bar in the big window that overlooks our courtyard. The window screens come out easily, so I pull the one next to my barstool out so that I can toss peanuts to the jays and the California thrashers.

I pulled some peanuts out of the little cup I keep at the bar and a few were already partially opened, which means if I do toss them into the courtyard, they open on impact and scatter the nuts - so I absent-mindedly cracked it open, blew the skins off the nuts, popped them in my mouth and started to chew - when my brain suddenly screamed, "NOOOO NUUUTTTTSSSS!!!!" and I spat those bad boys out into the courtyard - LOL!

Not worth finding out if they bother me or not.

Popcorn is completely off my radar too!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #125
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

After posting that I NEVER have constipation, I ended up with it for a couple days last week. The past two weeks, including today, I have been having some lower left groin pain that is very familiar to me. I had that off and on for a while before my bowel perforated. This is really scaring me. It's in the area where they removed the damaged portion of my colon and reattached it. The pain is not severe, but like a pinch now and then, enough to let me know it's there. I have been eating a lot of tomatoes, as ours are ripening right and left, but I guess I have to stop that in case the seeds are bothering me. I'm hoping that bout of constipation I had didn't do any damage. I'm deathly afraid of needing another colostomy.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #126
Charski
Gadget Gal

Carol, did your MD give you a prescription for the antibiotics in case you needed them? Might be time for a visit!

I sure hope it's nothing serious. Keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #127
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I did not receive an RX for antibiotics. I did not even see my doctor about this. I went to the ER and right up for emergency colostomy surgery. They removed the portion of my colon that had the diverticuli but said I could get it again since I am susceptible. So really, I don't know if the pain I'm having is from diverticulitis or something else, but it's right in the area where they did the removal and reconnection....very low in my groin on the left side. I remember this pain. I had it off and on for a while, and then one day I had severe pain all over my abdominal area, which was peritonitis from my bowel perforating. I will go to the doctor if it continues or gets worse. I'm hoping it goes away. I took Tylenol and am just resting. All I ate today was scrambled eggs, and might not eat the rest of the day. I could do with a good fast! LOL

Dr Jason Fung
Old 08-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #128
Charski
Gadget Gal

Yeah, my surgeon told me if I started to have symptoms to go on a clear liquids diet for a few days and let it rest, and start the antibiotics, and check in with him or my PCP. I'm not a doctor so not saying that's what you should do though!

I can understand your apprehension. It's something I never ever care to revisit.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #129
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

If I still have this pain tomorrow I think I will try just liquids for the day and see if that helps. It's not severe pain, just there and nagging. I have myself worried sick today, reading things all over the internet. I just read this thread from the beginning. I didn't realize it was an old thread. There were so many other horror stories before you brought the thread back to life!! One woman had the same surgery I had.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #130
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

The pain is gone! Someone on this thread mentioned Greek Yogurt and that was something I had on hand so I ate some. By bedtime the pain was gone. I ate a little more yogurt then for good measure, and I'm still fine. I will try to remember to have some yogurt every day and stay away from the tomatoes, which I think caused my problem this time! I'm sad. I wait all summer for our tomatoes to ripen. My only option is to try deseeding them if I really want them, and right now, I'm gun shy.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #131
Charski
Gadget Gal

Yeah, I've avoided tomatoes pretty much too - I did have some diced up on a tostada but man I squeezed every seed out first!

Glad you're feeling better. Do you take probiotics? I've been taking one in the morning and a different one at night. Not sure if it helps or not but it hasn't hurt anyway.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #132
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I used to take probiotics, but I stopped for some reason. I take so many pills..RX...I just hate taking extras, but probiotics might be something I really need.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 08-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #133
Charski
Gadget Gal

They actually started giving them to me when I was hospitalized for 8 days, on two kinds of IV antibiotics. Even at that, when I got home, my tongue was white! Took more than a week to get that straightened out; I do think the probiotics helped.

I asked the surgeon about continuing to take them and he sort of shrugged and said, "If it makes you feel better to take them, it won't hurt anything!" LOL!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #134
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
I use probiotics and digestive enzymes every day. Occasionally, I'll use aloe, too. I'd skip the antibiotics if you start to feel off unless you know there is a diagnosed problem they are needed for. Antibiotics are way over used and kill the good stuff, thereby creating another problem that needs to be addressed to avoid more problems. Usually, antibiotics are not needed.

Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic that does not have the negative side effects of prescription antibiotics. It is a better option. I actually take a bit every day to support my immune system; I haven't been sick since I started using it. It has been a couple years, I think.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
King James Version (KJV), Ecclesiastes 3:1

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 08-23-2017 at 06:55 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #135
Charski
Gadget Gal

The antibiotics are the "last line of defense" for me, haven't had to use them thankfully - but I know the "warning signs" and if it appeared that I was having/potentially having another blowout, I'd be on them pretty quickly! It's what saved my life, literally, back in May - of course it took getting so bad that I ended up in the ER, but I wouldn't let it go that long next time - if there ever IS a next time - fervently hoping there will not be one!

I THOUGHT I was having an attack a month or so ago and contacted my MD about starting on the antibiotics - she said, wait a little longer. Thankfully the symptoms abated. She told me I would have to determine what MY signs were, to know when it was prudent to get on the antibiotics. Scary stuff.

And yes, I HATE to take them unless I absolutely NEED to, but I do find some comfort in knowing I have them on hand if needed. I certainly do NOT want to end up back in the hospital. Eight days of THAT was so miserable!

Old 08-24-2017, 04:48 AM   #136
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still OK, eating a bit of yogurt each day. I haven't had any tomatoes since. I can't say for sure that my pain was from divers, but it was in the area of my Sigmoid, which is where my issue was before. It could have been gas, but it felt the same.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #137
Charski
Gadget Gal

It's definitely a challenge to try to figure out if you're actually having a problem that warrants intervention, or if it's just gas or a bit of constipation or who knows what!

We ate dinner out last night with my sister and her DBF. I was very careful about my menu choices, I can tell you. Had a few stomach grumbles last night but nothing alarming and this morning all seems well.

We're getting ready for a little road trip next month and I'm gonna be sure I take my antibiotics with me just in case of a problem! I REALLY do not want to end up in an ER in a place not close to home!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #138
Charski
Gadget Gal

Carol, how are you doing?

Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #139
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I've been fine....no pain since...thanks for asking. I have had a few small slices of tomato, trying to avoid the tomatoes that have a lot of seeds. My step-daughter said her husband planted some of the tomatoes that have very few seeds. I will find out the name of them and maybe DH can plant them next year. I'm still having a bit of yogurt at least a few days a week.

I hope you enjoy your trip and don't have any problems!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #140
Charski
Gadget Gal

Thank you, I hope so too!

Glad you're back to normal. It's hard to give up foods we love. So far though I'm doing just fine without tomato seeds, sesame seeds, peanuts, or almonds! LOL!