Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLi
Stats: 196/162/160
WOE: eating less of what I want/walking
Start Date: 5/1/15
Pinched nerve in neck

Does/did anyone everhave a pinched nerve in your neck? What did you do about it? How was it treated? So far a steroid pack and half hearted attempts at a few neck exercises has not helped. It has been two weeks since I saw the doctor

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
LeanLioness
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
Chiropractic Care and decompression of the neck and lower spinal cord is how I got relief.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
beccitn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beccitn
Ditto on the chiropractor! I'm 8 weeks in for the same thing and have had huge success! I feel your pain!
beccitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/150/150
WOE: Low carb, lean protein, low glycemic F&V, WATER
Start Date: High school!
Ugh..get an MRI before you let a chiro touch your neck though. A small problem can become a huge problem if you dont know whats going on in there. I had a pinched nerve and a constant neckache for about 2 years. I did PT, exercises, chiro adjustments 3 X a week forever, motrin, lyrica, you name it.. ended up in the ER when I couldnt look over either shoulder and got a shot in the butt for pain and percosets and sent home.

Had the MRI- holy crap. Buldging and herniated discs, spurs, stenosis, foraminal enchroachment and a 10 MM herniation of brain matter into my spinal canal (called a chiari malformation) that could have paralized me with the chiro treatments.

I stopped the adjustments immediately, got a neuro to give me botox injections to calm down the spasams and am seeing a neurosurgeon in 2 weeks to discuss my options.
The botox helped a ton but its just a bandaid. If you have a neckache that wont ease up, get an MRI before you let a chiro adjust, just my two cents.
IM NOT TRYING TO GIVE LEGAL ADVICE.
Im 36 with no prior back trauma.
Back pain is no fun.
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

Saw a physical medicine doctor today. He checked me over, and reviewed my current X-rays. I'm going to do a second steroid pack (couldn't hurt) and will be having an MRI next week. Will see what happens after the MRI.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Hope you get answers after the MRI..
Old 10-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

MRI done. Showed a bulging disc. Will see the doc next week for treatment options n
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Aha.. now you have answers to your pain.. while buldges are very common, they are still painful. Im certainly not knocking chiropractors (one got my husband completely pain free) .. it isnt for everyone and can make matters worse.

Disc buldges can reabsorb.. once they herniate though, not much can be done to save the disc and if the disc matter is sitting on nerve endings, thats when minimally invasive surgery might be an option..

Im having a thoracic MRI on Tuesday for chronic pain *sigh. Im suspecting a spinal syrnx..

Please update on your treatment.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
sya_unit
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I'm a big fan of the chiropractor, but you should always be very careful messing with your back. the MRI and xrays are very important in treating anyone. I'm surprised when Chiropractors treat without them. Mine always gets that done first before treating. I'm in there about every other month (usually after I fall off my bike) and my pain is cured - I wack my neck out same spot which causes headaches... And I've been treated for hip, knee and foot pain successfully by my chiropractor. He combines his therapy with PT and something called a tens machine which helps with muscles, etc. But he referred my husband to a surgeon and wouldn't touch him because of his pain. (Turned out all good, but touch and go for a while.) But make sure to get a referral before seeing one. Hope you heal soon!
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

Doc says no to chiropractic care. MRI did show bulging disc with significant narrowing/inflammation of space where nerve comes out. this was a significant finding compared to the MRI I had back in 2006 (forgot I had one back then). Discussed the options, to include doing nothing. Already did two dose packs of steroids which did not help. Decided to go ahead with a steroid injection in a couple of weeks to see if that will help with the inflammation. I get to decide between versed sedation or valium. hmmm.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLi View Post
Doc says no to chiropractic care. MRI did show bulging disc with significant narrowing/inflammation of space where nerve comes out. this was a significant finding compared to the MRI I had back in 2006 (forgot I had one back then). Discussed the options, to include doing nothing. Already did two dose packs of steroids which did not help. Decided to go ahead with a steroid injection in a couple of weeks to see if that will help with the inflammation. I get to decide between versed sedation or valium. hmmm.
IDK about where you are, but here.. OMG they treat you like you're having brain surgery, its crazy!
You get in a gown, hospital bracelet, hair net, no jewelry, no food for 6 hours before, anesthesiologist comes and talks to you, pain management will come talk to you, you will get an IV to include topical numbing for the IV, you get IV solution and then they come wheel you to the back, roll you over on your face on a table (with like 15 people standing around, i tell you, its insane) and then a little push on the plundger and you go nite nite..

Wake up some 20-30 minutes later in recovery..
Your DH will have to drive you home.. it usually works really well. Take the IV sedation if they offer it. At first you will be all but then you'll be glad you went that route.

Best of luck.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

Tracy,
The numbness and tingling in my arm and neck has decreased a lot. Don't think I need to do the injection, what do you think?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Oh, hope I didnt scare you

Hey, if you can avoid the corticosteroids and manage the pain on your own, you should.. the option for an injection is always there if you need it but it should surely be next to the last resort, surgery being the last resort.

Have they given you anything like pain patches, flexeril, backlofen, lyrica for nerve pain?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Not to thread jack, but my thoracic MRI results came in.. i have developed thoracic scoliosis and the pain between my shoulder blades- a bone spur.

The T5 injection I had didnt touch it
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

To be honest, I don't have a lot of pain. Just numbness and tingling in my left arm, hand and neck. Thought the shot would calm down the inflammation and allow the nerve to stop being compressed.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

The corticoid steroid injection will only deaden the nerve endings in that particular area.. a sort of numbing block..
For some it wont work at all, for others, they might find relief for 6 months.. still for others, it can be a permanent fix.
Everyone is different.

Have you seen a neurologist for an EMG to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome? If any of your fingers are numb and tingling, you might have that issue as well as a nerve entrapment in the cervical area. CTS surgery is super fast and works beautifully for a lot of people.

Has your MD recommended any physical therapy? Sometimes they can lead you through some stretches and exercises along with a TINS unit, ice pack and massage 2-3X a week and that can also be a big (if only temporary) relief to get the disc to move off of an entrapped nerve...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
mwalbert
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mwalbert
Quote:
Does/did anyone everhave a pinched nerve in your neck? What did you do about it? How was it treated? So far a steroid pack and half hearted attempts at a few neck exercises has not helped. It has been two weeks since I saw the doctor
i used to have constant back pain and neck stiffness - started going bi-weekly to a chiro, and have been much improved for 2 years now.
mwalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

So I had the steroid injection last week. Piece of cake. I'm still having some numbness and tingling, but it just feels differently?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
Tracy210T
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes it takes a few weeks to really see relief.
I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #20
sweetpoison
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: 12 WEEK SPRING FEVER CHALLENGE
Start Date: 01/23/2017
Quote:
To be honest, I don't have a lot of pain. Just numbness and tingling in my left arm, hand and neck. Thought the shot would calm down the inflammation and allow the nerve to stop being compressed.
Wow....just checked and see you are still around the boards..... quick question if you dont mind? My husband is due for some xrays (where they start) due to a tingling/burning sensation going down his left arm.... tests along with stress tests have kinda ruled out heart. Doc seems to think it is a nerve. Was your sensation also a burning type. Its been on and off for about 5 weeks now...... scares me .... some Getting him to a doctor is like pulling teeth so ya know it is really bothering him. Of course he also quit smoking about 6 months ago and is still a bear BUT... has also gained almost 50 lb.... yep... you read that right and while I can tell he is "trying" to cut back..... he will not listen to me and is hungry all they time. Some times I wonder if quitting was worth it..... he is miserable with that too.

Last edited by sweetpoison; 09-11-2017 at 10:53 AM..
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #21
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Nerve pain is a burning sensation . It is the worst have your DH go in as soon as possible.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #22
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hope your dh is better. Most pain in your extremities starts in your neck/ back. He could have a bulging disc, too. I had one years back, but it was lower and the pain went down my leg.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, just saw this today. Man was the original post old. I actually had another flare up of the same issue these past two months and just has a anterior cervical discectomy and fusion on the 26th. My numbness/tingling in the arm was not a burning sensation. Hope your husband has found some relief.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
How's your recovery going, JoLi?

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #25
JoLi
Senior LCF Member

Im doing well. No pain in arm or neck. Still wearing the neck brace, have another week of it at least. Tough not being able to get out on my own. Not used to being home all the time. Tentatively set to go back to work on Nov 6.