Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #541
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Janilyn
Stats: 157/141.9/138
Start Date: September 20, 2016
Going2, all good names but I love this one the best

A-weigh We Go Summer Challenge!!
Janilyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #542
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Carol, I wouldn’t be able to stick to 500 calories a day. Sounds like DH is trying to keep you just the way you are. Love your joke about running off and getting someone worse.

Going2, eggs are very nutritious, too. They have a lot of different health benefits.

The nature sketch art class sure sounds fun. Yay for the extra estrogen helping!! What are BLSL chx thighs and burgers.

Jeanne, happy birthday!! I remember I fell off that wagon for over a week during my birthday. Good luck on your my restart of a restart of a restart! 10 acres! OMG

Betsie, I love high tunnel tomatoes. What else are you planting? Glad DH is going to be joining you in eating healthier. You have done great. Right now you are at my goal weight.

Day 8 of Egg Fast and I am down 5 pounds! The last 2 days have been transition days with egg meals plus 6 slices of bacon. I am still thinking about whether to go back to EF or to continue transition days for a while. I am thinking a steak meal sure would be good.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 AM   #543
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 223/218(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Jeanne - Happy belated birthday--hope you enjoyed celebrating!

Jan - You are probably in deep ketosis from EF-ing, so a bit of steak shouldn't hurt--yum!

BLSL - boneless and skinless (thighs). A lot of the abbreviations I use related to LC-ing (low-carbing) come from the LCF (Low Carb Friends) boards after so many years. Some tricky ones when I first started were DANDR (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book), WOE - way of eating, HWC - heavy whipping cream, and TOM - time of [the] month.

Carol - Can relate to the "peer pressure" a partner brings when it comes to meals, plus when we go out with friends and pay for it too. I hate "wasting" food and end up eating any scraps from a meal, and I mentioned DH is leaving food behind--I still think he's dieting--that shouldn't be reheated again or left over, so I eat it. Logically, I should be thinking that I "waste" food I unnecessarily eat when I'm already overweight, right? Geesh, hate the mental battle of overeating--grrr!

Tuesday is our weekly trash pickup day and I've already cleared the household trash and put the bins out on the street, so my workout is done for the day--hahaha! Since I've been off work the past year while DH is still full time, I do all the household chores and stuff, make any meals, so DH is totally coddled these days and loving it. The challenge is I'm gearing up to return to work and he'll have to pick up the slack again, hope he remembers how--ha!
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #544
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Going2, I knew all the other abbreviations but had never seen BLSL before. I will be doing the trash workout later today. I hope DH is ready to step up. What job are you starting and when?

I did EF yesterday and will do transition today with bacon, probably steak tomorrow on my day off.

Last edited by Janilyn; 03-28-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #545
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199.5/? 5'2"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
Jan, for years I read about JUDDD and 5:2, but always said I could never do 500 cals, but once I tried, it wasn't as hard as it sounds. I fell off the wagon with it not because of hunger, but because of seefood. I would see food, and eat it.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #546
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/176/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
hello ladies

Jan-I am in agreement--the steak is a good choice....I need to buy some steaks--that sounds good...trash detail-it must go along with all of us--I need to do that too--although we have a trash compactor and it is amazing how much that things holds--I compress it and always have more room--I need to track how long I use one bag--weeks for sure...

going2--I am retired and the DH who is younger still has a little less than 2 years to go--so I do everything around the house too--he never did really help out though-and I don't mind and at this point I am probably not going to change him--he will need to clean up his barn for several years when he does retire--he is a hoarder!!

Carol--are you back on JUDDD now again?? I read a lot the other night when I couldn't sleep--the time really goes fast--anyway--I found some youtube videos about fasting--and that is what I am trying for a couple of weeks--I appreciate all the different plans discussed here--I have been a diehard atkins/lowcarb person and I still am--just trying to shake things up when I wouldn't have tried before!!!

Betsie--I am going to read about high tunnel tomatoes-and what they do that taste different? do you sell them commercially or are they just for your benefit--how big is the tunnel?? I really thought we didn't get a very good tasting tomato last year and when I mentioned it later to DH he agreed that they were not good for him either.??? not sure why but we will be moving them to a different part of the garden this year... are the tunnels expensive and do they stay up from year to year? sorry for all the questions..

we are still missing people it seems...

I like a weigh to go too!

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #547
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
... not because of hunger, but because of seefood. I would see food, and eat it.
OMG, I just laffed aloud when I read this!!!

True dat here, heh heh.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #548
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanne, I can't really say I am back on JUDDD until I actually stick to 500 calories for a DD. Monday was supposed to be a DD but I quit counting when I got to 800 calories, so I was probably closer to 1000 for the day. Good, but not what a DD is supposed to be. I'm going to try to get back on track tomorrow. This is truly the only way I have been able to lose anything for a very long time, but as soon as I don't stick to the DD I regain. Calories just add up so fast! I have eaten low carb for years, but never as strict at Atkins.

Going2, DH retired in 2001, and I continued working until 2010, so he got to enjoy the years without me home. We ate out a lot during that time, and he did some cooking. He also did the laundry during that time. When I had heart surgery in 2008 the doctor told me not to run the vacuum after I was released from the hospital. It was supposed to be a temporary restriction, but once DH took over, he still does it to this day. We got a new sweeper, and I don't even know how to empty it. On the rare occasions that I do use it, I have to ask him. LOL So I can't complain. He still does some of the laundry, but only cooks breakfast now. How badly can you mess us scrambled eggs? LOL When I met him the only cooking he could do was heat up a can of Dinty Moore. So now I know if something happened to him, he can cook other things for himself.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 03-28-2017 at 07:14 PM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #549
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betsielou
Stats: 170/134/130
WOE: low carb, no particular diet
Start Date: 09/02/2016
Jeanne- I think it is because the tomatoes don't get rained on that people think they don't taste good ? Not real sure, they are in the groud, just have a greenhouse over them. If your tomatoes did not taste good it could have been because they got to much rain, it can kinda wash out the flavor. Happens to watermelons too. We grow produce to sell at 2 local farmers markets, so lots of stuff. The high tunnel is only 80 ft long, it will probably have about 250 tomato plants. Before the produce year is over we will have planted 1000 or more tomato plants. People really like tomatoes!

Carol-sure hope you are able to get those DD's back on track. I was eating too many carbs recently, mostly sweets, and finally today felt like I had the cravings back under control.

Jan- wish you were on of our farmers market customers, so many of them complain about high tunnel tomatoes. I really hope to get to 130, but man it has been hard. I sometimes feel like just stopping here and maintaining but I really want to get to 130. Hope you join me here soon!

Going2- I have the same seefood problem as Carol .
Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 AM   #550
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: lower carb
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Hi everyone. When you all start your new challenge I'll probably jump in if that's ok.

Jeanne Happy Belated Birthday!! I'm sorry I'm late..... I did post on your fb page. That was late too!!

I don't like fish. But I've got that see food problem too. LOL cute Carol.

Anna
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #551
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to wish you Happy Birthday Jeanne! Hope it was a good one and you have many, many more.

I am not happy with the scale right now. Or it's not happy with me.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #552
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for the birthday wishes everyone--much appreciated!

Anna--you are always welcome in our group!!!

I know I am guilty of the seefood diet too--I buy cookies, donuts and chips every week for the DH and it sure isn't easy to see!

I would love to have stayed the same during this challenge--but a miracle will have to happen before Monday!!! and I don't think I can count on that... next challenge will be better for me.

hump day today

hello to everyone

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #553
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

If everyone is okay with A-weigh We Go Summer Challenge for our next challenge, I will post it later today or tomorrow.

How about we start the next challenge on Monday, April 3 and end on June 26 for 12 weeks?

We ARE in this together for the long haul!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #554
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Betsie, I am going to be one of your farmer’s market customers this year! I am coming down there to see you, try out some of your goodies, and buy tomatoes for my Dad and me.

Will your high tower tomatoes be ready earlier than garden tomatoes? There is a farm up here that will have tomatoes ready soon and they are so delicious. I tried to get him to tell what kind of tomatoes they are but he would not say. I am not sure if they are greenhouse or high tower. Actually, not sure of the difference between the two. I have been in high towers before when I had a CSA. They grew the early spring greens in the high towers.

Do people not like the high towers tomatoes after tasting them or is it just the idea in their head that they don’t think they will be good and they are thinking they will be like the tomatoes in the store in the winter? Maybe you could cut up little samples with toothpicks in them or not say they are high tower tomatoes. I can eat tomatoes almost every day during the spring/summer and I know my Dad eats them daily.

Jeanne, I am not going to reach my challenge goal this time either.

Anna, yay!! So good to see you. Our new challenge starts soon and we would love to have you with us.

Carol, tell your scales it is time to stop messing around with you.

Betsie, if you are comfortable with the weight you are at, maybe your goal could just be to maintain for a while and see what you think. I am not sure what my real goal is but very happy to be smaller right now than I have been in years.

Going2, I thought yesterday was Wednesday. Today is my trash workout.

Day 10 of Egg Fast. Down 5.2 pounds. Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday have been transition days. The others all EF days. Still wanting that steak.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #555
ladyboss7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 217 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: starting over AGAIN
Hi ladies!!

Jeanne, happy belated B-day, I hope your day was super fabulous!!

Jan, I love the name A-weigh we go, and I'm totally down for an April 3 start....I've totally blown it this first quarter, I need a fresh new start!!

Hi Anna, welcome aboard!!

Carol, you've been doing so great....don't let the scale frustrate you, just keep making progress!!

Going2, when are you going back to work? What will you be doing?

Betsielou, I love tomatoes, but NO ONE else my family does....so I buy them sparingly so they don't go to waste. One of my favorite dishes is a nice Caprezzi salad with fresh tomato, buffalo mozzarella and basil with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar!! Think I might need to run to the store tomorrow and grab some for dinner!

Well kids, I was NOT able to hire the gentleman I had hoped to...we give all of our candidates a basic skills assessment and he BOMBED it.....seriously....only scored 31%....kind of scary actually. So back to the drawing board. I have another candidate though, she passed...barely....but she passed. She has experience and so far her references are pretty good....so I MIGHT have a winner....fingers crossed!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

231 225 215 210 200 195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #556
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning girls--I will be out once again today--mom has decided she needs groceries so this will be the 3rd day in a row that I have been at the grocery store--it makes it hard to get a block of time to get things done here at home...wish I was a faster housekeeper and maybe I would get things done--I am thorough but slow!!

Tammy--so sorry the guy didn't work out--it is a good thing you skills test them--harder to get rid of than hiring--hope the new gal is the one!! I am with you--this 1st quarter was not a good one--I am hanging in there for a good final push until Monday though!!! we will do this together

Jan--thanks for setting us up and getting the ball rolling...I am looking forward to our chatting and working together with everyone for another challenge.

anybody got big plans for the weekend??? we are going to stain and finish the railing--I wanted DH to fit it to the wall to check it but it is still in the barn--he is confident..

well--time to get moving--I will return...

Jeanne

Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #557
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne, you are welcome. I will get our new group set up today. I have a three day weekend starting Saturday! Heavy trash day is Monday so my goal is to get rid some the junk around this house. What are you doing this weekend?

Tammy, so sorry it didn’t work out with the new hire but sounds like he would have been more headaches than everyone else put together!! What kind of basic skills did he need to have? Sure hope the next one works out. Your Caprezzi salad sounds amazing!

I have been doing Egg Fast transition days since Saturday and have lost almost 2 pounds since then. Some complain about gaining weight right after going off EF but I think as long as you transition right, that won’t happen.

I bought a nice grass fed ribeye steak yesterday from a good store and it was so tough I could hardly cut or chew it. I put it in a ziplock bag, still warm, and returned it! What a disappointment. It was a splurge since I save so much money eating just eggs. For the rest of the week I will transition with 2 egg meals and one meal of shrimp or bacon.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #558
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Our A-Weigh We Go Summer Challenge is posted!

We will continue to post here until Monday. We need to post our goals in the new group by April 3. Keep an eye out for new members joining us so we can welcome them.

OMG!! For this 3 month challenge we have had almost 16,000 views. We hope some of you reading our posts will join us this time around. We would love to have you!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 AM   #559
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jan - Thanks for taking the lead on our summer challenge! And thanks for sharing your EF-ing and how well it's working for you.

Jeanne - Is staining the last step for the railing? Man, it sure will be done right with all the effort you've put into it.

Betsie - You'd think people would prefer greenhouse tomatoes since they are more coddled and protected from the being beaten up by bugs and weather, heh heh.

Tammy - What a bummer about your new hire, you were so optimistic. Must be extra disappointing as you were looking forward to getting some relief from the workload.

Sounds like you do hiring, so any tips for me returning to work, especially after a year off and being almost 55? Know I have to "look vital" and color my hair, wear makeup, and have contemporary business attire. Am looking for admin. asst. or support roles. At my age am not inclined for a heavyweight "career" position and know I have to sell extra hard against age discrimination even tho' I'm known for my energy and proactiveness, plus am tech-savvy so I have those in my favor. My fav job was as Administrative Servs Manager in a small (15 staff) association, basically an office manager without the HR and accounting functions, but have a job history being an admin. and exec. assistant--love support roles.

As we wrap up this challenge am having a late-game rally and down 3 lbs. the past week, once again confirming I have it in me, just need to keep my head in the game; have enjoyed a lot of self exploration during this challenge and tried some different things. Thanks for being such welcoming group and I look forward to our A-weigh We Go summer challenge!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #560
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Going 2, sounds like you are doing all the right things to get ready for a new job and are in the right frame of mind.

We have enjoyed having you with us these last 3 months and excited that you will continue in our new group! Way to go on the 3 pounds down!!

I have also learned a lot this challenge, especially about how I have been sabotaging myself and some of the whys.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #561
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Jan- be glad to see you at the Farmers Market when we start going, I've never met a forum friend in person before so that would be neat. Sounds like EF is going good, too bad about that steak...boy would I like to have a steak.

Jeanne- can't wait to see that railing, can you post a pic for us when it's done? So good of you to take care of your mom, I often wish we were back in GA so I could help DH's mom. My mom died in '91, my so long ago she would have been 70 this year.

Tammy- too bad about your new recruit, hope the girl works out better. My youngest DS does not like tomatoes either, strange child, lol.

Going2- I'm not sure what makes people think the hoop house tomatoes are so bad, sometimes people just get a notion and nothing can change their mind.

Anna- good to see you checking in .
Now where are Carol and Michelle. I'm worried about Carol, she was up set about the scale going the wrong way.

Looking forward to the start of our new challenge, thanks Jan for setting it up. Got the hoop house finished today, now to just wait for the ground to dry so we can till and then plant...250 tomatoes .

Forgot to add a belated HBD to Jeanne, and Jan like the new avatar.

Last edited by betsielou; 04-01-2017 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: add more info
betsielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #562
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

Betsy, Michelle is already over in the new group. Maybe Carol is taking a few days off before starting with us on Monday. Sure hope so!!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:29 AM   #563
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Here's the A-Weigh We Go Summer Challenge link--c'mon over!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #564
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jan, forgot I had already seen her over there.
betsielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #565
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Betsie--I wish I knew how to post a picture here--I know enough just to get by--but I need to learn I guess??? Sorry you lost your mom so early--I know how lucky I am and she was good up until 2 years ago--she just has minimal mobility and sight now--nothing serious health wise..

I have been outside pulling weeds and the DH helped me or I would never have gotten so far--I will put down some weed preventer later this afternoon and I hope it works--I have used preen and I am not really impressed with it..I also found deer prints around my phlox and I am supposing that they like it! this is right by my garage so they are really getting close to the house--I love watching them but not this close--also saw a turkey on our property this morning..my back is hurting already! dang those herniated discs...I can't do what I used to do--that is for sure!

well--time to take some Tylenol and keep moving

Happy Sunday and I will see you all tomorrow on the new challenge!!!

Jeanne

Old 04-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #566
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: lower carb
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
G2 sounds like your on top of what you need to do for a job!! Keep us posted in the new thread.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #567
kal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kal
Stats: 5'6" 233/189.6/148-155
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: Restart 11/11/2015
I'll go in the new thread. But wanted to post my March update in here as well. Lost 10 pounds. Unforunately on my cycle so I was probably up a touch at that finally weigh in. Just didn't want you all to think I dropped off.
Goal Weight: 145

Goals:
185 : No longer obese.
180 : Mani/pedi
170 : Receive passport
160 : Sephora makeup
150 : TBD
140 : TBD
kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #568
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Thought I would post my last weigh in also...started at 140.2 ended at 134.4 so almost 6 lbs. I'm happy w/that, hope to get the rest off over this next challenge.

Good job Kal.

See you all on the new thread.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #569
Janilyn
Senior LCF Member

It’s here! April 3 and a new beginning for all of us.

Betsey, 6 pounds!! WooooHooooo!! I am sorry to hear you lost your Mom so early. 250 tomatoes!! When is your first farmer’s market? I look forward to meeting you!

Kal, have fun! Sounds like you have a good, well thought out plan for the cruise and when you return. Wow! 10 pounds. Fantastic!!!!!

Crazy, good job on the 4 pounds!!! Those set points are heck to get past. Best of luck on OMAD. I love this…That means I really need to ram up the oomf in try so I can TRIUMPH!

Jeanne, will you be fasting completely from food or just during the day? Best of luck this challenge and with your blood sugar. I worked on weeds yesterday, too. I bought some flower and arugula seeds and bird food. What is weed preventer? So neat you have deer and turkeys out back.

Deer come in my back yard along with a fox, racoons, possum, and others. The baby squirrels have been born and I saw a mama running along the top of the fence carrying one of her babies yesterday. She had lost most of her tail so I assume they are relocating. Poor thing. I enjoy seeing all the wildlife and have given up on growing a garden after I got mad at the raccoons for taking just one bite out of all my tomatoes and throwing them on the ground. Grrrrr!!

Anna, we are always here for each other, aren’t we? Way to go on the 2 pounds!! Not sure how older you are. I am 59.

Going2, you have a good plan and have figured out what will and won’t work for you.

I am down 5 pounds for the Spring Challenge. I am still doing Egg Fast transition right now. I leave for Florida a week from Friday!!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #570
michelle204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michelle204
Stats: 262/205/202.4/195
WOE: LowCarbing my way
Start Date: July 9, 2007
Well I did better then I thought. Started at 211.2 and finished at 205.
Success!
See you all at the next challenge!