Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #511
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
It was overcast all day and stayed cool enough to have the oven on so I decided to use a large eggplant and container of ricotta.
Turns out I only had 'bout 1/4 jar of sauce in the freezer, no mozzarella, so needed to round it out somehow.

I whipped an egg into the ricotta along with some parsley and a little parmesan...then I grated a zucchini into it.
I popped the eggplant slices under the broiler then placed them in a single layer in a casserole dish....a little sauce in the pan first.
Then I spread all the ricotta mixture over the eggplant and dribbled the sauce over all...then the remainder of parmesan on top. Baked for 'bout 40 minutes.

It turned out great. No doubt the egg and zucchini lightened up the cheese mixture and that just did it.
This is the first egg I've eaten in a very long time. I couldn't tasted it at all, thank goodness.

We picked another 9-10 quarts of blackberries today and that's probably it since we'll be pretty busy for a while. Still I have 16-18 quarts.
People are surprised that I use them all for smoothies. I may try a chia syrup with some and cook up some aquafaba French toast....really, it'll be a miracle if I ever get around to it but you never know.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #512
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetogenicGurl
WOE: LC-HF-LP Plant based
Start Date: 2-1-2015
HA!!! i am far too unmotivated to figure out how to stretch the items for your dish JEM51
[maybe if I loved eggplant more?]

..and i didnt have enough energy to go pick berries for making into my hot berry sauce….. I just ate them on the way during my dog walks…oh well, next year.. I still have cherries frozen from my tree 2 yrs ago… good for shakes and with cream
KetogenicGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #513
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I had the most delicious smoothie for breakfast. I made some hemp milk a few days ago and needed to use it so I added oat bran, chia, a few goji, frozen banana, cocoa, peanut butter and a touch of stevia. Really great.

Tonight I had a portabella sandwich. In between I had some dark chocolate...it was not my usual and a little too sweet, still good though, as dark chocolate tends to be.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #514
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Back from a few days in Portland. The hub had his release from ortho post hip replacement but still has physical therapy close to home.

After that appointment we stopped at World foods and picked up my favorites; two types hummus, babag, and a couple baked to order pitas. Sadly they didn't have beet salad...
The hubs got some hot food items then we ate dinner in our motel room.
I had purchased some tomatoes and cukes at an organic vegie stand on the way up so we had plenty of vegies....really, no such thing as too many, yum.

Next evening we met an old family friend who I've known since the late 70's when I first moved to WA. This guy is one of the few really great people on this planet.
Anyway, we went to the Italian festival in Pioneer Square. I had a glass of wine but really wasn't attracted to any of the food so just had a ceasar salad.

I picked up some great organic produce on a trip to New Seasons; a few fresh figs, peaches, blueberries. This is sort of the last or those items and the peaches, while still flavorful are losing texture.
I ended up cutting them into chunks and freezing for smoothies.
Oh, and they had some beet salad on the cold bar so I immediately ate it in the parking lot. I am just obsessed with beets this year.....too long deprived, I guess.

The market in Roseburg had organic canteloupes 3 for $5, so I bought all three. They'll last and I'll take some on the road when we drive to Chico next week.

My eating has not been pristine but even after eating half piece of carrot cake, no urge to continue stuffing my face.

This change in eating continues to make me comfortable and happy.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #515
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

OK Jem5-- so no longer following LC?

A friend and I are also struggling..she is shifting to whole30… and I am decided to just lower my fats and calories back to 1400ish..and stick it out til dec.

when someone who lost 92 is complaining she had to abandon LC as no longer working i get worried.

If I dont HEAR this stuff I am less influenced.
I had to being a special Med..I canned back 3.3 in 2 weeks..so ow as I get close to 8 mo on LC I haven't lost more than 2 pounds in almost 3 months..just flaright at my OLD former weight..

maybe my body is happy there and no fighting it.

but I will cut back on calories to see if i can lose another 7-10.

I Stopped the med as it is so serious,( Gabapenti) I didm;t realize how much, thatI'd rather save it for the future..I have hip pain/nerve issues that are lingering from a car wreck..but this drug makes you gain weight fast..and so many bad effects in getting OFF it..that I chickened out.. because of my one kidney I am also being protective as this med affects if directly. NO win win for me..

hard to wrap my head around peole going to a Mcdougal starch diet…and it working..what happened to insulin spikes? I dont think my BG would like it.

<whine off> wee all want success..and this is the tuff time when things are going smoothly
Old 08-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #516
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

KG, I think LC worked a lot better before people started the super high fat ratios. It works for a while but the closer you get to goal the less success. AND sucking down T's of coconut oil is just, well....ugh.

Even eating plant based, I control carbs. I'm always trading off and don't eat grain and beans together except on occasion (hummus and pita. Mostly I eat hummus with vegies).
If I eat falafel, it's in the form of salad.

I was unsuccessful eating starch based due to just too much. Now I eat lots of vegies and, oh, how I love them.
I also like the nutrient density of vegies and bean which does not exist so much in grain/potatoes.

Meds and supplements can be hard on the kidney so good for you getting off.

I did post about my diet changes in the medical sub forum. It was in response to someone's post about gastric stuff...can't remember....I'll take a look.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #517
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I've had this Indian-spiced eggplant and cauliflower stew in my favs for a while and finally got around to it.
It sounded so good but tasted so boring. I tasted it around the time the vegies were getting done and decided to add cumin. I toasted a couple tsp seeds and then ground them and added them to the stew.
That did it and it was delicious.

Otherwise my morning smoothie and vegies and dip later....oh and a few dark chocolate covered almonds.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #518
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jem…do recall a time when fats were lower? Was this the 2002 Low carb resurgence?

All I read is eat them, unlimited, to satiety..one cute young mom with a video channel gets 200 gr fats a day!!…I am not a coconut oil fan…so just fry with it.. tried it in coffee..not that crazy to have butter and HWC AND coconut oil…whoa…. i'll keep my HWC, thanks!

and I control my carbs too..If I choose cashews as a treat I dont have high carb veggie that day,,like kale…it's a easy trade off.

when I started LCHF 100 gr fats a day seemed excessive… now it is not..but since I am still trying to lose another 50+ I can't see any reason to overdo it!!! Back to my 1400ish calories ~90-110 fats…..and lost the 3.3 I gained taking the Gabaoentin "nerve pain" med

it is a sad day when I am switched to lasix diuretic which adds 10-25 pts to blood glucose…and Gaba which has a laundry list of negatives….

had my FIRST cheesey burger + avocado, sour cream extravaganza dinner in 9 months… yum….just a little meat 1x a week is fine for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #519
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I had the most delicious sandwich today at a restaurant - portabello reuben! It was served on toasted marble rye, with grilled sliced mushrooms, topped with sauerkraut and dressing, and a slice of swiss cheese (not on my plan but I'm not a fanatic lol). I can't wait to try to duplicate this at home.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #520
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

We spent the day on the road and arrived in Chico in late afternoon. We brought both my car and hubs truck and will leave the car here.
I have an 88 Toyota truck in OR so just too many cars up there.
I do love my Honda Fit but don't drive as much up there and, of course, our dog, Lucy, loves to ride in the truck.
We refer to it as Lucy's truck.

We went out to our favorite Italian restaurant and I had the eggplant, of course. Earlier I had a cuke with leftover baba....eggplant theme today.

Nothing happening this holiday weekend. Just unpacking some stuff and getting the very overgrown lawn in shape. Then back to OR for another month to finish up physical therapy, final doctor appt. and such.

I have no intention of cooking this weekend and look forward to street food on Thursday night (tamales!!). Farmer's market on Saturday. Maybe have Chinese one night and probably hit Pita Pit on another.

Hope you all have fun plans.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #521
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I am installing a new shower in our big bathroom. I figured I have 3 days to get it done, so wish me luck.
As for food, I stopped juicing today for all day.
I will still juice and have one meal at night.
I have to go to San Antonio to get some plumbing parts today cuz our small town has nothing. It should cuz we have an Ace and an MG lumber store, but I didn't have any luck at either one.

Our weekend food is kind of up in the air. I will be mostly juicing and eating something with protein for dinner. Wife will eat whatever she wants. She has already stated that she is having pizza on Friday night. That's about it for us.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #522
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I gave in and bought a TJ's meatloaf for hubs dinner tonight. I just couldn't deal with deciding on a restaurant.
I'll probably make myself a Greek Salad.

We went to a Japanese restaurant yesterday arriving at around 5:40. It is not in a busy area, but the place was packed and noisy.
Well. it's happy hour!! All over Chico, it is probably the busiest time for any restaurant. I completely expect it closer to the U....but not here.

The nice thing is I could order off the happy hour menu so had edamame, cuke/avo roll then ordered a miso soup off the regular menu. The hub ordered off the regular menu and gave the tuna sushi and tempura a thumbs up.

We went to the farmers market this morning and picked up a loaf of ww sourdough coated with sesame seed. It's baked very early morning so wonderfully fresh. Organic ingredients.
We are lucky to have good sourdough bread fairly near both houses otherwise I'd just have a loaf of Alvarado Essential Flax in the freezer....which I like but fresh whole grain sourdough is, well, indescribable.

I'm eating TJ's organic yogurt with cinnamon and walnuts in the mornings. I love this yogurt!!

Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #523
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

While in Chico, I scored some yummy stuff at the Grocery Outlet: Marantha raw almond butter for $3.99....I bought 3 jars and brought one back to OR.
I really find almond butter boring but have always loved the raw stuff.

They also had Oasis Naturals organic hummus. I bought one container of plain and loved it so much, that I picked up a couple more.
Then I decided to try the jalapeno/cilantro and it was really good; quite a kick. There was a black bean/chipotle but I didn't buy it.

This hummus is really good and I ate it everyday just dumped on top of some tomato and cucumber and sometimes adding a drizzle of EVOO.

This Grocery Outlet carries a lot of organic/purist foods and I go there first then hit TJ's which is across the street.
Roseburg G-O is okay but the one in Florence, OR is sad in comparison.

I keep thinking of brown rice and finally cooked some. I love the short grain, organic....one of those carry-overs from my macrobiotic days.
I had a sort of Buddha bowl with raw spinach, steamed cauli and rice drizzeled with tahini/sriracha dressing.....Oh, man, was it delicious.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #524
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The Buddha bowl sounds good. All your food sounds good.
I'm still juicing...started over again yesterday. I don't think I will eat any dinner today, just juice. Normally I have a raw salad for dinner, but I'm not feeling hungry at all. I found a list of low carb and low calorie juices yesterday so I'm going to try some of them.

I don't think it matters if the juices are low carb or not, just 80% veggies and 20% fruit is the standard. I like an all veggie juice, but then they consider tomatoes a fruit, so to me, that's a vegetable, so I guess I never have 100% veggie juices.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #525
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Is your energy level improving, Nigel? Maybe with fall coming you'll feel better.

This morning I made these no bake, carrot cake balls for breakfast. The recipe comes from Cooking Canuk who is not vegetarian but still has a lot of veg/vegan recipes or things that can be switched.

These gems are made with oats, flax meal, raisins, cinnamon, agave (or other), almond butter, vanilla, grated carrots, pecan (I used walnuts).
They were too sweet for breakfast IMHO. Probably better for calming a sweet craving.
I will make them again but use very little sweetener. They'll be great for travel.

I cooked up a pot of tortilla-less soup for dinner. I am trying to take advantage of the tale end of the corn season. Even not it's on the mature side.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #526
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I love Buddha bowls! I usually use a very simple "sauce" of hummus thinned with some extra lemon juice and aquafaba. We don't have the Grocery Outlet store around here, they sound fun. Those carrot balls sound good, too. It's been so hot, I haven't wanted to use the oven so DH hasn't had baked goods for a bit. I did make some sunflower butter balls - they were just okay.

Nigel, I give you a lot of credit for sticking with the juicing. I've never felt good on juices or a fruit-intensive plan.

Today I tried to duplicate the portabello reuben I had in a restaurant a while back - it turned out really good! I already had on hand some vegan "mockzarella cheez" and mayo, so I just sauteed mushroom slices seasoned with steak spice until soft, and piled them on toasted ezekial bread, the "cheez", some sauerkraut, thinly sliced dill pickle and mayo. I will definitely be making these again. The restaurant one used grilled rye, actual swiss cheese and thousand island dressing, so the taste wasn't exactly the same, but my version was perfect for our eating plan and we loved it.

Anybody have any ideas what I can do with collards? I bought a two big bags of chopped collards on sale at the grocery store, thinking to use them like kale, but now I'm not sure. I've never cooked collards (not sure I've actually ever eaten them!)
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #527
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Collards are really good lightly cooked. Take out the thick stems and just start cooking them first. Then the cut leaves on top.....a little water in the bottom of the pan.

Also those big leaves are great for stuffing things in. You can eat them raw or steam them first.

Collards are tastier than kale IMHO but like any of those greens, not so great if over cooked.

I ate lots of collard in my macro days. Unlike kale, I don't have an aversion. They'd be a great addition to a Buddha bowl....which is really just a macrobiotic meal in a bowl.

You are right; just use them like kale. They are just a bit more versatile due to size.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #528
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I went to the farmer's market today and picked up 2 types of eggplant, crook neck squash, Italian red peppers and corn.

We will have grilled eggplant, corn, peppers and zucchini tomorrow and I'll grill a couple pork chops for the hub.

The Asian eggplants will go in a coconut milk based curry along with tofu and whatever vegies are leftover.

We go through lots of vegies and I am getting nervous about fall coming. I'm seeing spaghetti squash and of course all the cruciferous vegies.

We tend to eat broccoli near daily when summer vegies are gone. I missed it as first but not now.
As the weather changes, though, I'm sure my tastes will....they always do.

Tonight it's red lentil/carrot/cumin soup.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #529
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

The hubs went fishing on Tuesday and I sort of mentally prepared myself for fish but I never thought about crab.
The fish weren't really biting but everyone in the boat got their limit of crab and giant ones at that.

We gave away five then cracked and cracked. We ate a bit on Tuesday but last night, after a long day of dealing with FIL estate, we sat down and ate quite a bit.

My stomach felt like it was full of bricks well into the early morning hours.....terrible.
This is what happens anytime I eat animal (other than dairy).

Happily will just focus on vegies and something bean today.
I have lots of beautiful produce..............
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #530
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I understand that feeling.

Lately, I mostly just juice and have a salad for dinner.

On Sunday, I ate regular food, even though it was Low Carb, I didn't juice at all and I felt terrible on Monday.

I think my body craves the veggies or something.

I'm making beans today too, just for a change for dinner.

I go to the doctor next week and see if this has helped my cholesterol...it is too high. (probably from my love of cheese)
Old 09-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #531
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

It's funny that beans are my go to and don't cause any problems. However that brown rice I made last month that tasted so good gave me terrible gas.
I made enough for 3 servings (3/4 cup dry) and all three times the exact results.

I ate it daily during my macro days without problems other than struggling with my weight.

Maybe if I soak it like I would beans it would be fine. I don't know if I really care about eating it that much, though.

I do fine with rolled oats and even whole grain bread. Also chia and flax so I know it's not the fiber....and beans, of course, are high in fiber.

I think I feel best when my diet is mostly vegies and beans. I've also been eating 1-2 servings of berries/fruit but that may change after summer.

I have a doctor appt. on the first so it'll be interesting to see what labs show.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #532
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I'm lovin' the bowls. Tonight was leftover grilled eggplant and half ear of corn, pan fried tofu, steamed zucchini with tahini dressing.
Truth be told, anything with tahini dressing is yummy.

I'm finally recovering from the crab. Still using it for the hub and made him crab cakes last night and cioppino tonight.
The rest goes in the freezer and we'll probably find it next year and toss it!

Quiet here lately. Hope your are all well.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #533
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I cooked up this amazing Cuban black beans recipe from Three Guys from Miami. I actually always make black bean soup by just adding some extra liquid.
I've been using this recipe for a long time and it never fails to get rave reviews.
Soup season is here.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #534
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm still around most of the time.

Tonight I'm making Linda Sue's green enchilada bake with quorn faux chicken cutlets. They are pretty bland just plain. I've made this before and its easy and fast.
I'm also having tomato and cucumber salad with that...maybe some fresh green beans.

Tomorrow I'm making taco salad in a lc bowl...Beeb posted it on the recipe and suggestions forum and I think I just have to have that, but I'm using faux hamburger instead of the steak she used.

I found some Tofurky faux pepperoni at the grocery store, so I may try that out over the weekend. Hopefully it will taste a little like pepperoni.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #535
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

My weight dropped a little bit so will try upping carbs. I don't really count anything but am aware of how much starch I eat daily and try not to eat grain products more than 1-2 times daily....that doesn't include beans or oat bran in smoothies.

Yesterday I ate muesli for breakfast, open face tofu sandwich for lunch and brown rice pasta with roasted vegies for dinner.
Plenty of EVOO so no problem with too little fat.

I can't imagine that I will be eating like that everyday just because I enjoy meals that don't include grain. Still, somewhere I need to adjust.

This may be a fluke since I was bouncing up a couple pounds which is normal fluctuation for anyone.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #536
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It sounds like you are doing good, as long as you are feeling good.

How do you fix the tofu for a sandwich, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #537
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I like to pan fry the slices which I've drained well and patted dry....not too high heat since a little slower firms it up and dries it out more. Then I turn the heat to low and pour marinade over it and when it's absorbed, it's done.

I used to consistently use a grated ginger/shoyu type thing but the smoky flavor I used in yesterdays was pretty awesome.

I posted about it under 'product reviews' after posting about the House tofu.

You can just eat these slices straight up, wrap in lettuce leaf, put it in a salad or atop a bowl.

You can't go wrong having it around.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #538
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Jem. I did see your other post, but I had already asked over here.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #539
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I made vegetarian chili with some Gimme Lean.
It turned out pretty good....seemed like it was missing something but I couldn't figure out what.

I also had half an avocado, a few pumpkin seed chips, half a stuffed jalapeno, a piece of jalapeno fudge.

Tonight--I have no idea what I'm going to have.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #540
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Last night we ate ate a Greek/Indian restaurant. Yes they serve both. I love Greek food and curries, etc., but never find Indian restaurant food very interesting.
This place was no different. I ordered eggplant dip appetizer, Greek salad and for the entrée, an Indian platter with three vegie entrees; bindi (which was really good but pretty mushy), dahl (really boring), curried potatoes (boring), then rice, chapatti, yogurt and a grassy spinach mixture on the side.

The Greek salad and eggplant dip were both authentic, which I loved. I have to remember to just stick with Mediterranean food and make my own curries. I did love this restaurant and would go again if in Eugene.

I'll polish off the leftovers, except for the potatoes, tonight. Hub will eat them. He did say the chapati was good. The rice went to waste since he only likes Japanese rice and it didn't call to me.