Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #541
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I cooked up this Indian spiced eggplant and cauliflower stew for dinner. It was supposed to have chickpeas but I wasn't in the mood. I ate it with a scoop of plain yogurt.

That coconut 'bacon' was awesome on my sandwich at lunch. I just kept adding another piece....and another.....and another.
It is so good.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #542
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

We went out to Mexican yesterday and I ordered rellenos which were really like omelets without much of a pepper. Not very good at all. I ate one and the beans and brought the remaining one home so the hubs can eat it for breakfast.

The amount of cheese was pretty overwhelming and my stomach just felt stuffed and bloated.

Can't wait to be in Chico next week where there are some good restaurants.

Still loving that coconut bacon.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #543
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Back in Chico for the winter.
We drove down the coast rather than the usual rush down the freeway then crossed over on a perfectly horrible, scary highway.

In Arcata we ate at a Mexican restaurant that had rellenos made with fresh pablanos as the special. The beans were mostly whole and really delicious.

Yesterday we wanted to go downtown to the 'farmers market' but it had ended for the season.....I really wanted tamales.
We ended up at our fav Italian place and I, of course, had eggplant.
The place was busy and we found out they had won Best New Restaurant award.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #544
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Last night was Chico Cat Coalitions big fund raiser and it was so much fun to get dressed up and go out to a crowded event.
It was a dinner (choice of tri tip or vegan stuffed acorn squash), a raffle and silent auction.
There was a lot of stuff and we bid on three items and entered plenty of raffles which we did not win.

Local businesses donated and individuals, as well. I donated a down parka (tags on) that never got returned, jewelry given to me as gifts which I never wore and was in original packaging/box. I also purchased some lovely cards a number of years ago and never used any so they became a raffle item along with a bottle of wine.

We took my neighbor, who has MS and she really enjoyed herself.

We won a beautiful cake (chocolate fondant) that my husband could not resist....I don't know who'll eat it all, also a basket from Santa Cruz foods with organic PB, jams, juices and PB powder (think PB2). The hub bid on a chiropractic tune up but I don't know if he can actually use it because of the back problems which are not just a little lack of alignment....he'll take his MRI with him.

So, it was a success. We spent lots of $$, socialized and ate well.

The salad greens were really fresh and crisp for bagged salad. The salad dressing was a lovely mix of balsamic and maybe some shoyu and I don't know what. Roasted potatoes, which I didn't eat, big acorn squash half filled with a quinoa based filling with plenty of spice and perfectly done.

As a volunteer, who stayed for cleanup, I ended up with enough leftovers to get us through the week which is good since we will be in San Jose the following week for FIL funeral.

I had a little oat/apricot bar, which was one of the many desserts, before I went to bed and I really didn't like. It tasted of butter and I surprised myself by being a bit put off by it.
I guess it's been a while since I've had any.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #545
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
It sounds like you had a great time.

I had a working on the house weekend, which while progressive, is never finished.
Yesterday we went to see if the river came down because we had lots of rain over thurs, fri, and sat, but it didn't.

I'm sorry for the loss of your FIL.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #546
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to try slow cooker roasted vegies. I tossed carrot, turnip, onion, garlic, red bell pepper in EVOO with S and P, thyme, red pepper flakes.
I had planned to do it on high for 3 hours but after an hour I realized how fast it was cooking so turned it to low.
I added zucchini about mid way then topped it with a couple ears of corn for the last hour.

It came out unbelievably yummy and there was just a little delicious juice in the bottom.

That's all I ate but added some leftover tri tip to the hub's plate.

I've eaten chocolate cake two days in a row so I better really eat well the rest of the time. I have to admit the cake is losing it's charm. The rest is going to the relatives this weekend.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #547
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

The leftover white bean recipe that PP posted became soup tonight. A can of diced tomatoes and a bit more of the same spices and it made a delicious, hardy dinner.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #548
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I've been really enjoying soaked oats for breakfast. 'Bout an hour is plenty, overnight is too much.
My perfect mix is 1/3 c oats, 1 T ground flax, 1 snipped date, cinnamon and a little sea salt if I remember to add it (apparently it's not necessary).
Then I just pour on my milk of choice and let it sit in the fridge til I'm ready for it.

We are leaving for a week in San Jose on Sunday morning so I've packed up some breakfast packs which include my oat mix as well as some dry cereal. I measure them into little snack bags.
I found some carrot chips at the Grocery Outlet that I'm looking forward to trying. Will also take along those GG crisp breads.
I'll pick up some things at TJ's in SJ.

There are quite a few veg restaurants in SJ so I have them on my list.
I also want to get a few bulk items at Seasons or Whole foods. We have most everything here in Chico but I'm having to buy expensive bags of things like chick pea flour....it's cheap in bulk.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #549
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I keep trying to like oatmeal. But I've never really cared for any cereal, hot or cold. Wish I did, because your pre-packed baggies of oatmeal sound like a great idea for traveling, jem!

I do like it in a smoothie but now it's too cold in the a.m. for the smoothies I make. I found a recipe for "Healthy Pumpkin Cookie Dough for One" that uses oatmeal, on a site called The Big Man's World, which I've tweaked and like pretty well

>>>>
Ingredients

1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup protein powder of choice (PP Sez - I do not use, added a tsp of chia seeds)
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour (can substitute for coconut flour or almond flour for paleo version) -(PP sez - I ground up oatmeal)
1 T + granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
2 T nut butter of choice (I used cashew) (PP sez - I only used 1 T)
1 T pure maple syrup (PP sez - I used a little molasses & more sweetener)
1 T + dairy free milk of choice
Dairy free chocolate chips or other add-ins of choice (optional)

Instructions >>>>

Well I pretty much ignored the instructions on the website, and just ground up my oatmeal in the Blend-Tec, added some pumpkin pie spice, then dumped in everything else and blended until smooth and creamy. I did not use the chocolate chips. Stick in the fridge, and in a couple of hours it sets up with a "cookie dough" texture that I like a lot. Last time I made it, I quadrupled the recipe so I could use up the whole can of pumpkin. The Blend-Tec handled it, but I don't think a regular blender could process that much of this thick concoction. It keeps very well in the fridge.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #550
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Mmmmm, PP that sounds good. I made those carrot cake balls which were really good but did not grind up the oats. I may do it next time.

Soaked oats are an entirely different flavors and last time I cooked them, it just didn't seem satisfying, or something....there was just not the yum factor.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #551
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Back from a week in San Jose and eating in restaurants. There are some good restaurants and some veg ones but I was just so ready for my own food.

We ate at Falafels Drive in which was on Diners, Dives and Drive ins (or some other order) so being a falafel lover, had to try it. Sadly, I would not go back or I would order a few items and add my own salad stuff (the iceberg, tomatoes and cukes were all terribly anemic).

The falafel balls were perfect except that they were overcooked, very dark and the taste was obvious. Otherwise they were not a mix but real freshly made and perfect texture. I don't know if that too brown thing is always the case....

The hummus was a lovely silky texture and tasted good but they top it with chili sauce (that sweet stuff) which made it yuck! I scraped it off. It was served with those awful vegies mentioned above as well as a turnip 'pickle' that was sweet....again yuck.

My husband wanted to eat at a Japanese steakhouse. Really, not my thing and having the food tossed around right in front of me is just silly.
I ordered a vegie platter which was just an overpriced stir fry....should've just ordered sushi....a vegie roll.

Good Karma is a beer/ale and vegan café. They are very creative, although, some of the food could use a touch of color. The jerk 'chicken' served with red quinoa is a very brown plate.....still good and spicy.
I fell in love with their street tacos made with jackfruit. The hub had chili verde first visit and a combination plate with downhome scramble and jerk 'chicken'. The formers got high points. I liked the jerk but he was not so impressed.

We were getting pretty tired of restaurants so went to Whole Foods and ate in our motel room one night. Always good stuff there.

Last night we had the funeral reception at a sushi and seafood buffet. For what we all eat, it was pricey but we planned to drop some bucks.....you'd be shocked.....or maybe not.

When I got home I went out and picked up some produce and made a pot of cumin/carrot/red lentil soup. Nothing I can think of tasted that good.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #552
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm. I'm just going to keep posting as if someone's still here.

We went to Costco for some rainy day activity. They have organic white quinoa at a good price (that little grain is expensive) and picked up a bag of whole grain, wheat free pasta that sounded good....I had some brown rice pasta from the Grocery Outlet that had the perfect texture and was searching for something similar.

Organic canned beans are a good price. I've been pressure cooking most beans but also have canned chickpeas in the pantry. I use canned kidney beans but not in large amounts so picked up some of those.

AND we bought some organic ricotta/spinach ravioli. That is big for me since I don't eat white flour and really not too much pasta at all.....still love vegie noodles.
That's what we had for dinner last night. It was good and I did not have any urge to overeat so this will be okay on occasion.

I am enjoying this food so much and have (bravely) added back items that I never thought I'd eat again.
I know there are triggers but they are not every carb in the world!! I have come so far and feel so much better physically, emotionally, etc. My life is so much better.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #553
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I had:

Taco Salad with TJ's Better Than Beef (love that stuff)
1/2 avocado
1/2 cup of Spanish rice - a real treat for me

~next time I'm going to make Spanish Quinoa and see how that turns out.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #554
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I grew up loving Spanish rice. I may have to cook some up. Thanks for the reminder.

Grocery Outlet had 3 brands of crumbles last I was there. I thought about getting some but haven't even gotten around to the black bean burgers in the freezer.

I found a smoky lentil soup recipe that I am cooking up tomorrow....fire roasted tomatoes, smoked paprika.....Sounds good.

I had an open faced sandwich of that little TJ's whole wheat round toasted, rubbed with garlic, spread with avo, slice tomatoes then sprinkled with the coconut bacon I made a little while back.
It was sooooo good.

I'm enjoying the more cool weather food.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #555
DoingItMyWay
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DoingItMyWay
Stats: 280/188/140
WOE: McDougall
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Last night I had:

Taco Salad with TJ's Better Than Beef (love that stuff)
1/2 avocado
1/2 cup of Spanish rice - a real treat for me

~next time I'm going to make Spanish Quinoa and see how that turns out.
I made a spanish quinoa this week that turned out very good. Can't give you a recipe though because it was a little of this and a little of that. The general ingredients I think I used were bell pepper, some hot peppers from the garden, onion, diced tomato, minced garlic, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Oh and I think I threw a small diced eggplant in there too because I had one to use up.
DoingItMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #556
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Very Mediterranian quinoa. That sounds yummy.
I am a huge eggplant fan and have one waiting for a roasted vegie mix to toss with pasta.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #557
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

We had a fun and yummy dinner tonight - saw a recipe on the Whole Foods site called something like Spicy Spaghetti Squash and I followed it almost exactly. I cooked a whole spag squash in my instant pot, then when it was done I trimmed off a little bit on each end so each half would sit flat, then cut it in half (NOT lengthwise since I wanted long strands) and scooped out the seeds/mushy stuff and set each half up like its own bowl and loosened the strands inside.

While the squash was cooking, I mixed up a can of rinsed black beans, a can of drained whole kernel corn, a whole red pepper diced, about 1/2 a red onion diced, a jalapeno diced, and tossed with juice of one lime, a little sea salt and a generous tablespoon of chili powder. I didn't have any fresh cilantro but added some dried. I ladled a heaping portion of the bean mixture to each squash "bowl," then added a 1/2 cup or so of salsa and some diced avocado on top.

The Whole Foods recipe cut the squash length-wise, but I wanted long strands so cut across the middle, but I think the lengthwise would have worked better since it would have made it easier to pull up the strands with the beans. The recipe didn't call for salsa, and it might have been fine without it, but I looked at it and thought "something's missing" and added salsa lol.

It was a really easy meal - I put the squash in the instant pot to cook at pressure for 15 minutes and then let it come to natural pressure release. It took about 5 minutes to mix up the bean/corn mixture. It took about another five minutes to put it all together when we were ready to eat.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #558
DoingItMyWay
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds good and like something I would make. I also have an instant pot so that part is taken care of. Now to go get a spaghetti squash...
Old 11-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #559
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItMyWay View Post
I made a spanish quinoa this week that turned out very good. Can't give you a recipe though because it was a little of this and a little of that. The general ingredients I think I used were bell pepper, some hot peppers from the garden, onion, diced tomato, minced garlic, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Oh and I think I threw a small diced eggplant in there too because I had one to use up.
Thanks...I kind of cook like that too.

PenguinPower, that sounds good. I have an instant pot too that my wife bought me cuz she thought we could use it for quick canning...unfortunately from all I've read, you can't really use it for any canning except water bath and we can do lots more at a time in a big pot on the stove. So I haven't tried cooking anything in that pot...I need to get it out and try some stuff.

Last edited by Nigel; 11-16-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #560
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I think it Vegie Queen that pressure cooks everything. Apparently once you get started, you never look back.
I love that Plant Fueled Trucker uses an IP on the road.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #561
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I cooked up a pot of that smoky lentil soup from A Communal Table. It sounded so good but I just couldn't get a fullness of flavor. I served it with cilantro, lime, scallions.....it was just okay.
I followed the recipe exactly using merlot for the small amount of amontadillo (sp).

I think that not using my go to base vegies like celery and even carrot may have been the reason.
I probably won't bother to make it again since I have so many soups that I love and can never go wrong.

On the upside; I used the potatoes it called for and ate them. Normally I would've used turnip or cauli.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #562
DoingItMyWay
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I think it Vegie Queen that pressure cooks everything. Apparently once you get started, you never look back.
I love that Plant Fueled Trucker uses an IP on the road.
Yes to both of these people. I also have an IP and tonight I am doing a different, for me, split pea soup. I has carrots, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, garlic, split peas, liquid hickory smoke, salt, pepper, veggie broth. Pressure for 18 mins, NPR. Use a stick blender at the end for as much as you want.

Last edited by DoingItMyWay; 11-16-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #563
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Walmart online has the 5 qt for $90. I think I'll take advantage of my 5 buck coupon and get one. Usually I just ignore those coupons but what the heck it'll pay the tax.....almost.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #564
DoingItMyWay
Major LCF Poster!

You won't regret it. Admittedly, I love kitchen gadgets but this one has changed my life. The whole 'set it and forget it' thing? Game changer. It is the only appliance that stays out on my counter and I use it at least 3-4 times a week. Sometimes for meals like soups, chilis and stuff and sometimes to make beans.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #565
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I made a simple cabbage/potato soup tonight; sautéed garlic, onion, celery, carrots, red pepper flakes and thyme. Poured in broth and then added chunked potatoes. When they were all done I added cabbage.
I divided the soup into different pots at that point and added ham to the hub's. He had a corn muffin with his but I was completely satisfied with just the soup.

I ordered the IP but now WM is saying it may not arrive until 12/8. Sooo long to wait but usually they get stuff earlier so I'm hoping......
Old 11-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #566
DoingItMyWay
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so used to amazon prime that that seems like forever to wait BUT you won't be sorry. There is a bit of a learning curve but not much.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #567
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

The other night I roasted some vegies for pasta and while the oven was on, popped in some butternut basted with sriracha. It is so good. I got TJ's sriracha and am also loving it on avo toast.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #568
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

I'm excited for you, jem! I know you will love the IP and can't wait to read about your experiments. Your cabbage soup sounds like something I would enjoy.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #569
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

So now that Thanksgiving has passed, I am looking forward to the pot of black bean soup simmering on the stove.

Our T-day dinner was not exciting even for the hub who is a pork loving Japanese guy. He said the pork roast was too salty and over cooked....not worthy of overeating like a good turkey with all the traditional sides.

Instead of making an actual salad, I cut up cukes, celery, red bell pepper and beets, separating each into it's own space, then piled the arugula into the center.
I made the miso dressing as planned and didn't like it at all at first but after it had sat in the fridge for a couple hours was delicious.

I pretty much ate the whole plate of salad stuff except for maybe 3-4 beet wedges and a small amount of vegies that the hub ate.

There was also acorn squash which was baked whole and deliciously moist, and cranberry sauce sweetened with stevia, which was good.

After all those vegies, I had a stomach ache...no surprise, really.

Oh and she cooked up rice with peas (I hate peas) in chicken broth. The hub left it on his plate.

So she has plenty of leftovers which we bagged up for the freezer. She's planning to make tamales for Christmas so not has all the pork she'll need already prepared.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #570
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Today I cooked up a turkey dinner which consisted of a turkey hind quarter roasted in one of those bags (been in the cabinet for decades), smashed potatoes which I roasted in the slow cooker, dressing and steamed broccoli.

I just filled the crock pot with whole yellow potatoes, added a little water and let it go. I was not planning to peel them but the color of the skin darkened too much so I just slipped the skin off. I added a small bit of butter, s/p and a little water then smashed.
I ate one plain with the skin on.

I followed Fire Brigade stuffing but in the end left out the apple and cranberries, used fresh garlic instead of powder. I used one of those small sour ww rounds, as planned (Pauline, I think) and it gave just the slightest sour taste....really yummy.
I never thought of using oregano in dressing but it really rounded out the thyme and sage.
I also just used water since I didn't have broth.
It was probably the best dressing yet.

I completely forgot to take out the cranberry sauce that I made a few days ago...oh, well, it'll make a great bedtime snack.

I ate dressing, a potato and broccoli and I am stuffed.