annielf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annielf
Stats: Start 163 - goal 138
WOE: LCHF less than 50g, 1300 cals
Start Date: July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy love View Post
Welcome Annielf. Best wishes come join the the ladies on the Golden Years Forum they are wonderful ladies!
Thanks, I've already posted there.
annielf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #362
Crysx4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Crysx4
Lo carb again

Hello all...i am new here but not new to low carb. I am 5' 4" and about 4 yrs ago I was at 226 lbs. I started eating low carb and lost 109 lbs. I've eventually gained weight and I'm back up to 200 lbs. This Tuesday I will be two weeks in. I haven't weighed myself yet but I'm struggling. Depressed and so angry! Previously I lived alone. This time my fiance is living with me eating pizza and bagels and asking why my arms are so fat?

My willpower is good and my appetite is great. I have a hard time getting calories in. Am I losing it this time?
Crysx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #363
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Crysx4 Welcome...I'm sure you are doing great. I've lost 80+ pounds 4 or 5 times previously. This time I decided to actually make what I eat and do a lifestyle and not a diet I did not give up/do things all at once. The weight came off slower this time but I didn't care. Best wishes you can do anything you set your mind to.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #364
mimi_1973
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mimi_1973
Stats: 291.8/283.7/180
WOE: Atkins
Low Carb-Trying to make a go!

Good morning! I'm new to this whole thing, and I'd just like to say that this is not so easy. I've stuck to my guns this week. Started Sunday. My husband and son like to say they're supportive, but it's tough when you live with snackers! Also, my whole office seems to be a group of foodies. The difference is, they're all long distance bikers, hikers, and all the healthy stuff you can imagine.

I can do this. It may take a while, but I am ready. I just made up a weight goal. My real goal isn't weight loss. My real goal is to go shopping in the regular sizes at the store. Whatever weight that takes, that's my goal.
mimi_1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #365
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Mimi 1973....That is a great goal. You can do this? Best wishes on your journey. It's good your not in a hurry, a lot of people give up because they expect immediate results.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #366
Bradntyler
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bradntyler
Stats: 260/234/200
WOE: Looking for the right one
New and confused

Hello, my name is Brad I'm 56 y/o living in beautiful East Texas. Have always struggled with my weight since college. I'm 5'8" and currently at 234 lbs. My highest weight was 260 and the lowest I can remember is 205. As soon as I get on a good pattern of weight loss something usually happens to break the cycle (last time was rotator cuff surgery, gained 25lbs while off 6 weeks) I have little patience on woe and I need to work on that. Looking for guidance and accountability. I've tried every woe known to man. You name it I've probably tried it. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Phil 4:13
Bradntyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #367
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Brad....the best advice I can give is be patient and take one day at a time. Focus on your eating for that day. Eventually the successful eating days add up and so does the weight loss. Best wishes on your journey.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #368
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/147/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
welcome welcome Sunshine11, AHayes79, NightOwl, annielf, Crysx4, Mimi_1973, Bradntyler!

there are so many good sources on here. it is real helpful to use the search option on the site to find info. feel free to start threads if you need info or just want to reach out!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #369
Hb3ddd
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hb3ddd
Stats: 152/145/100
WOE: My version of Atkins...under 20 g of carbs/day.
I'm new here - using my own version of Atkins...

My name is Heidi & I'm 50 years young. I am a divorced mother of 3 beautiful teenage girls! (And so far, not one of them has a weight problem!)

From the time I was born until I graduated from college, I had absolutely NO weight problems. I weighed 85 lbs. when I graduated from high school (I'm 5 feet tall & very small boned). I weighed 95 lbs. when I graduated from college (10 lbs. I really needed to gain)...but...isn't there always a "but?" By my mid-20's the weighed started to pack on until by the time I got married at age 27, I weighed 120 lbs. I know that doesn't sound like a lot - but for me - it is.

By 1997 (age 30) when I got pregnant with my first daughter, I weighed 130 lbs. UGGH! After the birth in Sep 1998, I went on Atkins & lost ALL the weight in 9 months. At month 10 after her birth, I got pregnant with daughter #2 in July 1999 & gained 68 lbs! By the time Daughter #2 was 18 months old, Atkins had helped me get back to 100 lbs. (my ideal weight). In January 2002, my maternal grandmother and my father died within 13 days of each other. I went back to Missouri for my grandmother's funeral looking better than I had in years.

After my father died, I decided to get pregnant again. In May 2002, when I weighed about 110 lbs. I got pregnant with Daughter #3 and gained 60 lbs. She was born in January 2003 & most of the weight is still here. I have had a horrific time getting this off. I haven't had any willpower - until now!

I must add that from her birth until now, I have gone through a divorce, a move & now my 3 daughters & I live with my mother (who is very controlling & critical of everyone & everything - not just me). I have also had trouble finding a job. I have a B.S. in Psychology and an M.A. in Sociology - not exactly what anyone is looking to hire...SO I started substitute teaching & learned I love math. So, I took the math PRAXIS exam (for the Dept. of Education) and passed...so I'm looking for a secondary math job this fall.

Interviews are hard, though because I don't feel good about myself & I know this comes through in the interview. Here I am, now 50 lbs. overweight, at 50 years of age, looking to start a career. It hasn't been easy...but I HAVE to get out of this house. It's not good for me OR my daughters.

I'd also like to ask if any of you eat the new "low carb" foods on the market & if you have, do you notice your ketone levels decreasing? I know you can reduce fiber from total carbohydrates, but I'm thinking the low-carb tortillas I've been eating may be sabotaging me. They have 13 g of carbs, but 10 g of fiber. Are these ok to eat? Please let me know. It would really help!

Thanks so much! I look forward to "meeting" you all! Sorry for the novel.

Heidi
152/147/100
Hb3ddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #370
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Hb3ddd....Welcome first of all. Good luck landing a job . I teach developmental preschool working with autistic preschool students at an elementary school! They are a lot of work but I absolutely love them! Many people find that when they consume low carb products regularly they don't lose or lose as quickly. You will have to experiment with that on your own. Best wishes on your journey!
Old 07-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #371
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/147/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
Hb3ddd! welcome! i tend not to use any low carb products cause they make me stall. every body is different though! good luck!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #372
Sandii
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandii
Stats: 241/232.9/150
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Hi, my name is Sandy. I will be 60 in a couple of months. This last year has been hard on me. I gained 90 lbs. I used to eat LCHF to maintain my weight but I fell in November and broke my left shoulder. So I was down for 3 months and did not eat the way I was supposed to. I started Keto the first of July and have lost 9 lbs. I have joined the forum years ago but was to shy to post. I am hoping this time I can participate in this forum. Thank you for reading.
Sandy
Sandii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #373
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Sandii...Welcome aboard. I lurked for years now you can only view so many post till you have to join. So here I am. Don't worry about falling off the wagon it happens to the majority of people at one time or another. What matters is picking yourself up and trying again! You can do it. Just take one day at a time. It can be overwhelming sometimes if you look at the big picture. Set small goals for yourself. Those pounds truly do add up along with improving your health. Don't get discouraged if the weight loss slows down. Best wishes on your journey. You got this!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #374
Hb3ddd
Junior LCF Member

Welcome Sandi!

My name is Heidi & I haven't been here very long either. I was a member of a weight-loss support board called parentsplace for after-baby weight loss back in 2002, but I don't think they exist anymore, so here I am! years ago, but here I am again.

This is the 4th time I've gotten serious about losing weight! I lost 20 lbs. back in 1992, 60 lbs. in 1999 & 70 lbs. in 2001/2002. SO...I know I can do it again! And so can you!

I've also noticed that when I get support from others, I do so much better! And when I get discouraged, I remember, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Lao Tzu

Good luck to you!

Yours,

Heidi
Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #375
Hb3ddd
Junior LCF Member

Signatures...

Does anyone know how to post a quote to one's signature?

Thanks,

Heidi
Old 07-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #376
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

I believe you have to have so many posts to be able to do that. Contact admin to make sure.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #377
Bradntyler
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bradntyler
Stats: 260/234/200
WOE: Looking for the right one
Thanks for those encouraging words. It is a daily grind, but, it's something I'm willing to do, with God's help of course !!!
Bradntyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #378
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hb3ddd View Post
Does anyone know how to post a quote to one's signature?

Thanks,

Heidi
Welcome
You need to be registered 25 days AND have 25 posts to access the signature area

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #379
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradntyler View Post
Thanks for those encouraging words. It is a daily grind, but, it's something I'm willing to do, with God's help of course !!!
You got this! Believe in yourself it is worth it. If you can't give up/add everything right away it is ok. I didn't and I made it. Might have taken me longer but I wanted a life style change so I didn't see the need to put pressure on myself to lose all the weight quickly. Everything in life worthwhile has its ups and downs.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #380
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WanderingStars
Hello, I am new here and am in my 12th day of a low/no carb diet, currently testing dark purple on Ketostix so assuming I am in Ketosis. However, I have really stalled with weight loss at all for the past five days and am trying to figure out what I can do.

A little background: I am 42 years old, Female, and prediabetic. I have normally been VERY thin for my entire life, always 100-105 lbs (I am 5'3"). I never dieted at all or exercised, but I tend to eat natural foods, probably about 50% vegetables, no sugar, no meat, not too much fat, no processed foods, and I cook about 90%+ of my own food. Also, I had my gallbladder removed due to stones when I was 20, and since then I have to keep a low fat diet or suffer serious, painful symptoms. My job is pretty sedentary since I am a teacher, so I spend a lot of time grading, but in the summer, I move around although not so much that I would call exercise. Still, I've always been like this.

Over the past two years, I noticed I was unable to fit into any of my clothes, bought new clothes, ballooned out of these, bought new ones, and again found I couldn't fit in them. I had gone up FIVE dress sizes after always being the same size. So, I went to my gynecologist to check thyroid and hormones, and all were normal.

I got on the scale for the first time in a few years and was up to 120 lbs. So, that may not sound like a lot, but that was what I weighed at nine months pregnant! I was shocked. I have never been over 108 lbs. in my entire life (other than when I was pregnant, which was in my 20's). And again, normally I hover around 100-105 lbs.

I decided to try to cut all carbs (and also watch my calories to make sure I wasn't eating more than the 1,200 a day I can eat before gaining) 12 days ago since I am prediabetic and right on the line for being diabetic. The doctor says the reason I probably am not diabetic is because I have watched my weight.

I started a food journal to track what I was eating, and I'm also doing a half hour of cardio every other day (sometimes a bit more), mainly interval running-walking, lap swimming, and dancing in my house until I work up a sweat.

So my daily calorie "need" is only about 1,200 calories for my normal weight. This makes losing REALLY hard with calorie restriction. Nevertheless, I'm watching my calories too and eating about 600 a day. I've always had a really poor appetite, so this is really easy, especially without carbs.

I'd tried just calorie restricting for two horrible months first, and nothing happened; I lost no pounds at all.

The first week of starting a low/no carb diet (12 days ago), I lost a beautiful six pounds without any effort. It doesn't look so much like water weight because it came off of my upper arms, my butt, and to some degree my inner thighs and waist, but I could be wrong. I started by eating 30 carbs a day and dropped to 20 pretty quickly, then 10, then 0 for the past few.

Now, five days later, I am eating my measly 600-calories a day and 0 carbs, and I'm stuck at the same weight!!!! I am currently 113.5 lbs, which IS higher than my normal weight.

By the way, ALL of the women in my family are thin. My doctor says we are small-boned and my BMI has always been perfectly normal.

So I am stuck at this weight, still look heavier than normal, would be glad to drop to 108 lbs at this point, but I cannot figure out what to do to make that happen?

And I'm having minimal side effects, although the first few days I had raging headaches, but one of them is VERY low blood pressure (it's normally already really low) which is making me a little bit lightheaded and so it's harder to exercise now. I am also peeing constantly, I am very thirsty and drinking so much water and unsweetened herb and green tea, and I am having a ton of trouble sleeping, mainly due to waking up at night (even though I take prescription sleeping pills). I feel a bit wired and notice my heart racing a bit too. I'm taking magnesium, potassium, and salted broth, but it's not helping. Otherwise, I feel fine. I don't really normally feel hungry -- don't yell at me! I'm one of those people who has to remind myself to eat, usually, because I just forget until I get shaky.

I have always eaten only once or twice a day, usually around brunch, and sometimes mid-afternoon. VERY occasionally, I have a late night snack.

I do not eat red meat or pork, so I am eating mainly home-cooked chicken, fish, prawns, eggs, firm tofu, leafy greens, sour cream, cream cheese, butter, olive oil, greek yogurt sometimes, plain nori, and that's all for the most part right now. It's not exactly the most delicious diet, but I don't really care if I can just lose this last, stubborn five or six pounds.

Any ideas why I have stalled? Any thoughts about how to kick start the weight loss again? I know I'm not quite the usual low-carb story, but it was working, and I am in Ketosis with the symptoms and Ketostix, so can I somehow work with that to improve my weight loss?

It seems like I should be losing weight. Arghhhh!

Last edited by WanderingStars; 07-21-2017 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: adding detailed information
WanderingStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #381
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

WanderingStars welcome. You haven't actually stalled. The last 5 to 6 pounds are gonna take awhile to lose that is a fact for everybody not just you. Keep it up low carb can not be an one month diet and people go back to the way they ate and not expect the weight to come back on. Best wishes.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #382
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
WanderingStars welcome. You haven't actually stalled. The last 5 to 6 pounds are gonna take awhile to lose that is a fact for everybody not just you. Keep it up low carb can not be an one month diet and people go back to the way they ate and not expect the weight to come back on. Best wishes.
Thanks for the encouragement! I am only setting out to lose 12 lbs. total and was halfway there in a week, so of course I am wondering what changed -- I'm only twelve days into this, so it seems like I should keep losing a bit

I will certainly keep at it. I'm just trying to understand what's happening in my body and if I am doing anything wrong.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #383
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Your not doing anything wrong. That is a lot of weight for someone not having much to lose. Be patient the last 10 pounds is the hardest to lose. You can do it! You are doing great don't get discouraged.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #384
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Your not doing anything wrong. That is a lot of weight for someone not having much to lose. Be patient the last 10 pounds is the hardest to lose. You can do it! You are doing great don't get discouraged.
Thanks for the inspiration; you're right -- it was a lot to lose so fast! And I think I am doing everything properly since I read a ton about this all before starting the diet!

It's not far to go... I can make it!
Old 07-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #385
taurus430
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taurus430
I'm late introducing myself but getting use to navigate in a forum.......and the Keto WOE....lol. I haven't done low carb in over a year, so over 2 months ago I decided to try and lose some belly fat. I only need to lose 10-15 lbs as I'm not that overweight, but the pounds were gaining. So I started my normal routine of cutting down on carbs and portion control, watching the bad fats. Then I somehow stumbled upon the Keto WOE and wanted to experiment. The biggest challenge for me was the very high fat, but after some research, it's not quite so necessary. As with anything, especially new, there a lot of confusing information.
So I was on Keto for about 2 was and was due to have blood work done. After, I went to see Doc for my office visit. Some numbers were elevated, like Triglycerides and A1c, and ketones showed up. Doc wanted me to stay with it, next checkup and blood work in 6 months. Metabolism is slower now for me as I'm a Senior
I've posted here already and met some of you. I know I'm one of the few Men in here.....lol. This is a great Forum, Thanks! Rob
taurus430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #386
WanderingStars
Senior LCF Member

Wow, okay, that was only two days ago that I was 113.5?

Clocking in now at 111.1 lbs today

I had to drop to below 15 mg. of carbs per day to get these pounds off; for the past few days, I am eating mainly just meat to do that.

I feel lightheaded though, even though I'm eating broth and taking electrolytes. I'm hoping that passes since I'm pretty close to my weight loss goal, although I still cannot fit into my old clothes quite yet, so I'm still going to 108 lbs.
Today, I did eat a few whole wheat crackers to see if that helped. Hope it doesn't knock me out of ketosis.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #387
Alekaneka
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alekaneka
Stats: 159/151/140
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum. I did Atkins last year and lost 20 lbs in 3 months. I was very happy. Over the holidays and into spring I gained 14lbs back. My stupid fault. Just went back to my old ways. Just started back 3 weeks ago and have lost 9 lbs so far. I am determined that this time will be for good as this is not a diet but a way of eating for life. I hope to learn a lot from all of you long timers as to make this last a lifetime.
Alekaneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #388
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Alekaneka welcome! You know exactly what to do. You are doing a great job. You can do anything you set your mind to. Best wishes on your journey.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #389
Alekaneka
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alekaneka
Stats: 159/151/140
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Thank you puppy love. Down one more today! Love the dog. I am a HUGE dog person.
Alekaneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:09 AM   #390
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

So am I. My dogs are my babies. I love all animals but my dogs are my everything!