Old 03-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #181
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea5 View Post
Hi, I just started LCHF yesterday after many other weight loss attempts over the years... Hoping to make this a lifestyle so it sticks. I'm a tracker given my years on and off weight watchers (and my OCD tendencies!). I'm using a online tracker. I have it set for (of total calories) carbs 15%, protein 25%, and fat 60%. Does that look reasonable? Also: Net carbs or total carbs? I'm aiming for around 50g net and 20g total carbs per day. Which do most of you focus on? Thank you!
The only good advice on your daily macros is that do it and see how it works (or not). It may be perfect for you but it may not too so there is always room to tweak. Just try to make changes one at a time over long enough to be able to identify what change made a difference. I would suggest that you not use net carbs.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #182
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Welcome to you both. Good luck on your journey. You can do anything you set your mind to.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #183
OnceACarbAddict
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OnceACarbAddict
Stats: 248/228/173
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 1 Mar 2017
Not New, but I'm Back

My username is SOOO accurate.

I'm back, about 14 years after I first did LC, and about 10 years after stopping. I had gotten down to 192 and stayed in the 190s for a few years. I had to resize my wedding ring because it annoyed my wife to see me wear it on my thumb because that was the only way it would stay on.

Now my doctor said my trigs and LDL were a little elevated and said I should switch to LC. With that in hand, I decided to run with it. I started again on 3/1 @ 248lbs. Four days in, without using much rigor in counting the carbs, I'm down 7.5 lbs. I guess I'm not going to get quite the same "woosh" as I did when I was still in my 30s.
OnceACarbAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #184
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Onceacarbaddict.....I think 7.5 pounds in 4 days is quite a whoosh at any age. You have done it before and know it works. You got this...
Old 03-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #185
OnceACarbAddict
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OnceACarbAddict
Stats: 248/228/173
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 1 Mar 2017
I saw from my old profile... I forgot I came back here in 2011. I did OK then, too. Then I had some work problems after about 8 months... leading to carbs, carbs, carbs. It looks like "major life events" tend to knock me off the straight and narrow.
OnceACarbAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #186
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

It happens to a lot of us. Your back and that's the most important thing.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #187
butterflysj
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterflysj
Hi Everyone,

I am 49 and have been on LCHF before. However, I have regained all my weight. Today is my first day starting again. To be honest I have been trying to restart for about 4 weeks now, but am having a really hard time with it. So today is the day!! Looking forward to being part of the group.
butterflysj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #188
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome BUtterflysj.....you can do it. Get involved on the site for support,encouragement and help.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #189
DJL
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DJL
WOE: Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: February 1, 2017
Newcomer

Hi I'm Donna- DJL! I'm trying the ketogenic diet- kinda like Atkins but only 20g of carbs daily!! I'm still adjusting and without fruit I'm craving sugar or sweet. So I bought Erythitol to replace sugar in recipes. I was going to try making vanilla ice cream in a machine but I don't know how much "fake" sugar to use in place of the sugar in the recipe. Can anyone help?! I also saw that a lot of you like these cheese crisps. How do you make them- I'd like to give a try. I just made some zucchini chips they were not bad but a lot of time to make just a few. Thanks DJL
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #190
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome DJL.....good luck on your journey....
Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #191
DundeeIshee
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DundeeIshee
Hi! I'm new to the site

Hello you can call me Dundee, I am new to the site.
I am 26 yrs old and am married with 6 total kids 2 yr old twins and a 6 yr old of my own. I have been doing low carb since October 27th of last year. So far I've lost 53lbs I was 267 when I started and I'm now 214. My goal is to get to 170 and to get rid of this pooch from my kids I got up to 307 with my twins. I joined this site to seek help with that specific area and because my weight loss has haunted for several weeks. Any advice???
DundeeIshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #192
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Dundee welcome.....exercise especially cardio really helps along with diet of course....
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #193
lcmode
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmode
Hello everyone. I did DANDR in 1999 when I was in my 20s with great results. Now that I'm in my early 40's this WOE is taking me a bit slower to lose the weight.
lcmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #194
LisaJane
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaJane
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/01/17
Great site!

Hi all! New to the site. Just started Atkins 3/1. Have tried to "sort of do low carb" in the past couple years with no luck, weight kept creeping on. Finding now that it requires more of a commitment to work. Started an online food journal to count the carbs and now joined this site for inspiration/recipes. Hoping all of this will keep me on track to reaching my goal!
LisaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 AM   #195
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome LisaJane....read as much on low carb as you can so you can understand the basics to get started. Good luck on your journey.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #196
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundeeIshee View Post
Hello you can call me Dundee, I am new to the site.
I am 26 yrs old and am married with 6 total kids 2 yr old twins and a 6 yr old of my own. I have been doing low carb since October 27th of last year. So far I've lost 53lbs I was 267 when I started and I'm now 214. My goal is to get to 170 and to get rid of this pooch from my kids I got up to 307 with my twins. I joined this site to seek help with that specific area and because my weight loss has haunted for several weeks. Any advice???
Welcome and wow! You must be very very busy. Congratulations on your excellent weight loss. In under 5 months, you have lost 53 lbs! That is more than 10 lbs. per month!! Most people would be overjoyed with that type of loss. It is very, very normal to have a pause in weight loss. My advice is that you make sure you don't have any carb creep. The thing would be that you make sure you are not snacking. If you share a typical menu, it would be easier to give advice.

Exercise is great for many, many things but does very little in the weight loss department. If you feel you want to reap those many health benefits, go for it.

Post and read in the main lobby. Lots of good folks there that can give you their opinions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJane View Post
Hi all! New to the site. Just started Atkins 3/1. Have tried to "sort of do low carb" in the past couple years with no luck, weight kept creeping on. Finding now that it requires more of a commitment to work. Started an online food journal to count the carbs and now joined this site for inspiration/recipes. Hoping all of this will keep me on track to reaching my goal!
Welcome LisaJane!!! I think this is an excellent site for support and so much more. Jump in on the main board!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #197
56Survivor
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 56Survivor
Stats: 153.5/128/130 5'7" challenge goal 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 17, 2017
Hello all! I have been doing low carb at <20 carbs per day for almost 8 weeks. As of today, I have lost 12 lbs with 11 more to go. I also do a fairly intense, one hour cardio workout on the treadmill, three days on and one day off. My biggest issue is I have to force myself to eat. I have zero appetite which is a good thing at this point. So glad to have found this site!
56Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #198
clackley
Chatty Cathy

A big welcome to all newbies - be you new to lowcarb, new to this forum or returning to either. Come join us on the main board!

We are butter together!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #199
Trotter
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trotter
Stats: 506/429/230
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 31, 2014
Not new but it has been a while.

I'm Trotter, husband to my high-school sweetheart who has put up with me for over 30 years. I am also a proud father of a gorgeous daughter and papaw to two darling granddaughters. Oh, and I am still fat. You can tell by my join date that I have been here before, but I was involved in low-carbing way before that. I lost 88 pounds in nine months on Atkins once upon a time (circa 2003 or so) but wander astray and ended up back where I started. I have had a few fits and starts over the years but (hopefully) will be here for a good long time now.

My wife was put on insulin a few weeks ago for her type 2 diabetes and that seems to have been a wakeup call for her. We just finished the two week boiled egg diet plan and are now transitioning over to LCHF. I the two weeks my blood sugar went from 300+ to 140 on average, still not perfect but much better than it was; hers is in the normal range with her meds and the insulin but we want to get to the point she can get off them.

Anyway, that's my brief re-intro. Take it for whatever you think it is worth. See ya around the forums.
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #200
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Trotter....you and your wife will be a great support system along with everybody that loves you guys and of course the people on this sight. Always remember your health is your number one priority so when weight loss slows or at times stalls try to remember the bigger picture your overall health and doing things to improve it each day. Best of luck to you and your wife...
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #201
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Trotter, I do remember you! Welcome back!

We are butter together!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #202
Wondrawoman
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wondrawoman
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2017
Just joined yesterday and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Wendy. I recently started LCHF and so far I really like it and haven't found it too difficult. I really don't have much weight to lose but basically wanted to start to eat healthier. While my weight has not gone down much at all, maybe 3 lbs in two months, my jeans fit me again! Yes, I know it's probably mostly water, but I'm happy with it. I am going to join a gym in the next few days because I really need to firm up. Summer is coming!
I actually started this WOE because my bf was slightly overweight and has diabetes and while I did want to lose a little weight myself, I figured I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately he started chemo and radiation for cancer in his throat and was told not to lose any weight, so he had to stop ultra low carb. (He has finished all his treatments and ended up losing over 20 lbs. Now he is healing) I have been making separate foods for each of us the past two months because of each of our needs, which has been a challenge, but I have managed to do it without too much difficulty. (Although it takes me longer and makes more dishes for me to wash!) I guess I would consider myself in maintenance mode and try to keep my carbs under 50 a day. I have given up all pasta, rice, legumes, bread and sugar. I think the food I will miss most is corn on the cob! If I cheat, that would be my choice. It's better than cheating with a brownie, right?
Wondrawoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #203
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Wendy you are doing great. Your goal for overall health is the best one to make. I hope your bf health continues to improve. Best wishes to you both on your journey.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #204
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
welcome Wendy!. I've been eating clean/low carb for over 17 years. Like you, I didn't have much weight to lose, but I tried it to see how I felt and it's been a lifestyle ever since. Also, it's much easier if you're both eating the same (or similar) foods. It's very flexible and it's not just for weight loss, but essential for maintenance of diabetes.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #205
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/150/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
hello everyone!

my name is marlo. i am 39 years young. 40 is this year so i am making my health more of a priority.

i am new to these boards but i found using them when i was doing HCG very helpful. Sadly that was just a short term solution, it did help me at my top weight though. i have maintained under 200lbs in the last 7 years (THANK GOODNESS) and have bounced all over the place.

i am from america and have been studying for my PhD, now living in the uk. it was waaaay easier and cheaper to eat paleo in the states. but i have made do.

anyway new to keto and hoping it will break me through my barrier of 170 at some point. i really want the clarity and freedom from yo-yo dieting. i also suffer from depression/anxiety (thusly binges and sleep issues). it doesn't help feeling bad about your body. i just started keto last week.

i am hoping keto/low carb helps the shift! my research could sure use the clarity and i sure could use some energy!

hope to make new friends! get some inspiration! learn tricks of the trade!
have a great day, team!

Last edited by Koala; 03-24-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #206
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Welcome Koala!!! I feel certain that keto is going to do wonderful things for you! Join us on the main board. Post and read as often!!!!

We are butter together!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #207
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kathy!
Super appreciate it!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #208
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Koala.....good luck on your journey....What type of research are you doing?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #209
Koala
Senior LCF Member

i do psychosocial studies and cultural studies. it is a mixture of performing arts, film, sociology, psychoanalysis, and migration.
Thanks for asking!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #210
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Very interesting....Good luck in your studies.