Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
philpsie
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: philpsie
Elevated cholesterol

Hi, I've been on the low carb diet since January and have lost a stone, I'm now at my ideal weight and Was really happy.
I had to have a blood test the other day and it's come back that my cholesterol is 6.2, the last time I had it tested (a few years ago) and it was 4.2. What have I done wrong, I've been quite strict, keeping only to proteins and low carb veg and I've kept my fat contents up, using only unprocessed food.

Last edited by philpsie; 03-23-2017 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Wrong value for cholesterol
philpsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
It is normal for cholesterol to rise a little when starting it will level out. Check it again in 6 months.. What are your triglycerides?
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
You don't say how old you are, but genetics seem to kick in as one approaches and goes through menopause. I weigh 105 lbs., watch my diet and exercise, yet my LDL is higher than it should be. Genetics. Also, total cholesterol is really meaningless...you may have a very high HDL (the good cholesterol) which may be driving up your total number. I don't know what 6.2 is in U.S. values...around 240?

Last edited by Ronnie51; 03-25-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
total cholesterol of 6.2 or 240 is not high, and in any case total cholesterol in isolation is mreaningless. You need to know your triglycerides and your triglycerides to HDL ratio.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
High Cholesterol is nothing to be alarmed about. You did not mention what "kind" of cholesterol-- there are several. All cholesterol has different "jobs." Lipoproteins are what Doctors explain to their patients are cholesterol are not "cholersterol." They are proteins that wrap around cholesterols to move them. This is the LDL and HDL. The higher the HDL, the better, because HDL acts as a kind of cleaning service to get rid of LDL. Another common error is to believe that cholesterol has anything to do with heart disease. Inflammation does. Cholesterol gets "trapped" by areas of inflammation, and end up clogging arteries and veins. They are not the cause. So inflammation is the thing to really look out for.
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
OctaviaRoman
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OctaviaRoman
Do a regular check up of your cholesterol. Don't let it increase.
OctaviaRoman is offline   Reply With Quote