Old 07-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
godsbeloved79
Atkineer For Life

Gallery: godsbeloved79
Stats: 237.4/227.6/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/23/17
Question

I continue to waste so much time and sabotage my progress, by stopping and starting Atkins. I'm tired and just want to make this a lifestyle change.

My mind keeps telling me not to start now, because we have a trip planned and leave in 7 days. My question is, would you start now or when you return back?
A Healthier Me
1st Mini Goal - Complete a Clean Induction: Met 8/6/17
2nd Mini Goal - Lose 20 lbs
3rd Mini Goal - Enter the 100's
-45.4 pounds to Goal
godsbeloved79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
BecBelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: (ATH 292.2) 258/251.4/145 5ft4in
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
I have had this problem over and over. I can't get over the special event mentality. I feel deprived if I eat on plan. The only thing that works for me is having on plan brekfast and lunch with an off plan supper. I also don't leave without having a plan for eating for the day when I come back.
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
godsbeloved79
Atkineer For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBelle View Post
I have had this problem over and over. I can't get over the special event mentality. I feel deprived if I eat on plan. The only thing that works for me is having on plan brekfast and lunch with an off plan supper. I also don't leave without having a plan for eating for the day when I come back.
I have to stop the cycle. I could see myself traveling on the trip and eating low carb. Most of the restaurants will have veggies, salads, steak, shrimp, or grilled chicken I’m sure.

It’s mostly the travel time that I’m concerned about. The stops at the gas station and such. I just wish my mind would cooperate.
A Healthier Me
-45.4 pounds to Goal
Old 07-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
BecBelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: (ATH 292.2) 258/251.4/145 5ft4in
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
Yep that's the worst part, being on the road. Before I started lc it was a giant bag of chips a liter of Coke and something sweet. What I do now is nuts, pork rinds, unsweetened tea and make and take oopsie rolls. But it's still uphill for me to do this.
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsbeloved79 View Post
I continue to waste so much time and sabotage my progress, by stopping and starting Atkins. I'm tired and just want to make this a lifestyle change.

My mind keeps telling me not to start now, because we have a trip planned and leave in 7 days. My question is, would you start now or when you return back?
I hear ya. I think the thing that helped me to understand the whole lifestyle concept was rereading the 1972 version of Dr. Atkins' book. I had an AHA moment and it finally got through to me what the heck I was doing to my body/health by constantly going on and off plan, and eating crappy carbage.

Do I occasionally eat something I shouldn't? I do. But it's a choice for that ONE moment and not permission to go all haywire for an extended period of time.

I also have an old Weight Watchers saying that helps me - don't give up what you want MOST for what you want at the MOMENT. That works most of the time.

So to answer your question - why wait? Because there will undoubtedly always be a reason NOT to start - vacation, birthday, hard day at work - make yourself a priority and START NOW, don't look at things you CAN'T eat but rather as things you CHOOSE NOT TO EAT!

Next year this time you'll be very glad you chose to not put off starting.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Quote:

It’s mostly the travel time that I’m concerned about. The stops at the gas station and such. I just wish my mind would cooperate.
If these situations are a setback for you, then you need to address this first and foremost, otherwise you will just continue the cycle. It sounds like a potential addiction problem? I don't mean to sound discouraging.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/143/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:

godsbeloved79, I have found after many years of sabotaging myself that Food is an addiction and as such it must be treated the same way other addictions are. Through abstinence. Start today, there will never be a right time or a good time to do it, and I believe you have it in you to do it. Prepare for your trip, pack the foods you can have, make the time and just do it. Every day you will make a choice, do I eat the snacks and the foods I packed or will I choose to hurt myself again. Each day you stop your self, you will grow stronger. Eleanor Roosevelt said "You must do the thing you think you cannot do" You must Give yourself permission to live the life you were meant to lead.
enemysugar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
GailyGail
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/150/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Lynn, you can do this! I know it is hard but make yourself a top priority. I agree with the great advice provided by the others here too. There will always be a reason or a milestone worth celebrating (vacation, holidays, friend's birthday) where you want to go off plan but you don't HAVE to go off plan. We choose to go off plan.

Choose to make your body and overall health a number one priority if you can. You are 100% worth it!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
Maeve
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maeve
Stats: 211/195/178
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 20, 2017
You can do it, and at those gas station stops, get a diet soda and a bag of pork rinds w/o sugar. Buy a cheese stick if they have them. Take the bun off your burgers and when you order, ask for no ketchup or pickles (not sure if fast food burgers use sweet pickles or not). You can do this. I've gone on cruises and stayed on plan, didn't have the breads or other starches. Only endulged in sugar-free, starch-free desserts. Big salads with olive oil and vinegar, or blue cheese. You'll feel good. And if you must allow yourself ONE treat. So, think about it. And don't drink anything that has carbs in it. Vodka and soda if you have to, and no flavored vodkas.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have a good vacation!
Maeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
The majority of people tend to eat unhealthy foods during bad times as comfort or when celebrating good times. So basically either could occur on any given day of the year. You must put eating healthy and your health first regardless of which day you happen to be having. Best wishes on your journey.

Last edited by Puppy love; 07-06-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Quote:

When you come back.

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #12
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I think when you come back..Having said that, don't overdo the carbs on your vacation..Sort of think as this as a transition time.

If you have a dessert or ice cream, don't beat yourself up. It takes a lot of momentum behind you (success for months) to not cheat on vacation...Been down that road.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
annielf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annielf
Stats: Start 163 - goal 138
WOE: LCHF less than 50g, 1300 cals
Start Date: July 2017
Traveling or parties or just eating out are always a serious challenge for me.

Good advice here. What's most important? Get past the feeling deprived and feel proud when you conquer it!
annielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
Karerose
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Maybe you are the type of person that can just jump right in and start like you should. I find it much easier to slowly ease in to it. If you think you are going to sabotage yourself so quickly after starting, maybe that approach would work for you. It would also be easier to go on that vacation if you still aren't trying to deal with an entirely different way of eating, but don't let that give you permission to go crazy on vacation -
still try to choose the better things for you.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
godsbeloved79
Atkineer For Life

Thanks everyone for such valuable advice! Reading your responses has made all the difference.
A Healthier Me
-45.4 pounds to Goal
Old 07-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #16
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
When you decide to start, you should try to take it one day at a time rather than looking forward to the next reason it might be challenging. Plan your food for the entire day, making sure you have everything on hand. Then for that day, eat what you planned. Rinse and repeat.

When you decide to start, come here every day and read, post and feel the support. We all had to start somewhere. We all want to help.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #17
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
This is a great thread to bookmark and come back to read when you feel yourself slipping. Lots of great ideas!

Godsbeloved 79, I think you need to decide whether you want to come back from your trip with a few additional pounds to lose, or if you want to come back a little lower, or at least maintain, feeling proud of your strength and determination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post

I also have an old Weight Watchers saying that helps me - don't give up what you want MOST for what you want at the MOMENT. That works most of the time.

So to answer your question - why wait? Because there will undoubtedly always be a reason NOT to start - vacation, birthday, hard day at work - make yourself a priority and START NOW, don't look at things you CAN'T eat but rather as things you CHOOSE NOT TO EAT!
That is a great WW quote, Charski, one I am going to copy and save.

I always have a reason not to start, thus my starting date in my stats....tomorrow. I'm always going to eat all the bad food in the house so I can start "tomorrow." LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemysugar View Post
Every day you will make a choice, do I eat the snacks and the foods I packed or will I choose to hurt myself again. Each day you stop your self, you will grow stronger.
That is very true!
Old 07-09-2017, 03:37 AM   #18
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/153/145
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
I think either can work! Just be kind to yourself and allow yourself to see your mistakes as an opportunity to learn. After each day list 5 things you did that worked for you. Pretty soon it will all change me with more ease and see it as a process. Good luck
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #19
healthnut
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healthnut
Stats: 195/158/healthy -- 5'2"
Start Date: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I think either can work! Just be kind to yourself and allow yourself to see your mistakes as an opportunity to learn. After each day list 5 things you did that worked for you. Pretty soon it will all change me with more ease and see it as a process. Good luck
Wow - wise advice!

All of the suggestions here are great (helpful for all of us!).

I have found that I do better when I pre-plan my day log my food each day. Modifications are okay, of course. But I try to stick to what I had in mind originally.

Godsbeloved - I would practice before leaving (start now!). You will probably feel so much better about yourself on your trip if you do that.
healthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #20
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am so curious to see if Godsbeloved comes back and updates us on how she did!
Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #21
godsbeloved79
Atkineer For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I am so curious to see if Godsbeloved comes back and updates us on how she did!
Hello, I'm back.

I didn't follow low carb, but I didn't go all out of control either. I actually maintained, from all the walking and swimming I guess.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it was truly appreciated!
A Healthier Me
-45.4 pounds to Goal
Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
healthnut
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healthnut
Stats: 195/158/healthy -- 5'2"
Start Date: 1998
Outstanding! That is wonderful to hear - you should be very proud of yourself. Small victories are important along this journey!

healthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #23
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Hello, I'm back.

I didn't follow low carb, but I didn't go all out of control either. I actually maintained, from all the walking and swimming I guess.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it was truly appreciated!
Hey, maintaining on vacation is definitely a WIN. Good job. And welcome back!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #24
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Godsbeloved. Welcome back! Great job on vacation. Hope you enjoyed it. We all deserve them.best wishes. Keep us posted on your journey it's an important one!
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #25
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

^5!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #26
susume
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/126/120 73 yr.old 4'9"
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
I too think you did good maintaining on your vacation. I am pretty sure I would not have. So all and all that is good news. Keep trying as we all need to do. Otherwise we know what probably will happen.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #27
highdesertrat
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: highdesertrat
Stats: 138/129/125 (5'3")
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: July 2005
The last time I ate low carb was about 6 months ago. It lasted about 4 weeks before we went on vacation and the rest is history. Yesterday I ate three pieces of cake and a huge cereal bowl of potato chips. It's how I roll. I wish I could just maintain my good eating, but I can't seem to stick with it.

I admire your restraint and the ability to keep plugging along.

Last edited by highdesertrat; 07-22-2017 at 07:42 AM..
highdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #28
godsbeloved79
Atkineer For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertrat View Post
The last time I ate low carb was about 6 months ago. It lasted about 4 weeks before we went on vacation and the rest is history. Yesterday I ate three pieces of cake and a huge cereal bowl of potato chips. It's how I roll. I wish I could just maintain my good eating, but I can't seem to stick with it.

I admire your restraint and the ability to keep plugging along.
Hello, it’s not easy at all. We have to keep pressing, dusting ourselves off and picking up from where we left off.

I wish you the best on your journey, don’t ever give up!
A Healthier Me
-45.4 pounds to Goal