Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #271
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshamarsha View Post
Although, it would be easier to make with a streusel topping, I wanted a more traditional pie.
I'm with you, Marsha! My family is a bunch of pie purists. No streusel topping for them.

Your chayote pie reminded me of how I used to make an "apple" pie out of zucchini that was good enough to fool apple pie lovers. That was a HC dessert, but I'll just bet I can make that filling with BochaSweet and gluc in place of the sugar and flour.

I had all but forgotten about it. I'm going to try this out, coming up with a LC version, in the future. Trying to close on a new house right now, then begin the move. At the point of tearing my hair out at the moment. Packing stuff up now (or at least trying to!) and a lot of the kitchen things will be inaccessible for awhile. But I promise that when I get things settled, I'll take an afternoon to try your crust as a double, with the LC zucchini "apple" filling.

Thanks for the reminder!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #272
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
My sympathies! Moving house is the pits. (Especially if you are a pack rat married to another pack rat!) I think the reason we have had this house for more than fifty years is that we can't face the possibility of moving all our junk. (Plus the fact that it is PAID FOR.)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #273
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Sharon, that's amazing! We're double pack rats, too. Is there a 12-step program for folks like us??

I've started to sort, and began with my closet. I've been hanging onto clothes WAY too long. Have filled 5 lawn-size trash bags full of size 10s, 8s, 6s, and 4s. And I'm not done yet. Such are the perils of losing scads of weight.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to taking apart the sewing room and going through my fabric stash (said facetiously, of course.) I'm a quilter, and I have yards and yards of fabric and batting, and hundreds of varieties and colors of threads. Not to mention the machines, gizmos, rulers, and gadgets. Ugh. Don't know how I'm gonna get through this.

I can sure recognize and admire your wisdom in staying put. I keep telling myself that this is going to be all worth it in the long run. The kitchen is phenomenal!

Only one thing is clear, however. I'm WAY too old for this!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #274
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

The beauty of having no mortgage, is now we can afford to do some remodeling. Currently the kitchen. New cooktop and range hood for Christmas this year. Next replacing the countertops and a new sink. Already replaced the oven, dishwasher, refrigerator and put in a new wall of cabinets when we took out a picture window, leaving me with a 12 foot blank wall! (Had to take out the window when we enclosed the carport into a garage. Fire code.) New ceramic tile floor last year. Getting there.

See my wonderful new cabinets my husband made me here....near the bottom of the post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...z#post17473251

Last edited by sbwertz; 12-09-2017 at 06:09 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #275
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Sharon, those are real beauties!! Lots of built-in goodies behind the doors, which makes them even better. And the granite is also stunning, so I'm curious as to why are you replacing it.

I'm envious of your dilemma of too much wall space, which meant more cabinets. That's too many cabinets.

Said no one, EVER!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #276
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
The beauty of having no mortgage, is now we can afford to do some remodeling. Currently the kitchen. New cooktop and range hood for Christmas this year. Next replacing the countertops and a new sink. Already replaced the oven, dishwasher, refrigerator and put in a new wall of cabinets when we took out a picture window, leaving me with a 12 foot blank wall! (Had to take out the window when we enclosed the carport into a garage. Fire code.) New ceramic tile floor last year. Getting there.

See my wonderful new cabinets my husband made me here....near the bottom of the post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...z#post17473251
NIce cabinets. My wife would love all those drawers...lol
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #277
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I was wondering how long the chayote will last in the fridge?
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I'm just wondering how many I can get away with buying at one time and not have them go bad.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #278
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
Sharon, those are real beauties!! Lots of built-in goodies behind the doors, which makes them even better. And the granite is also stunning, so I'm curious as to why are you replacing it.

I'm envious of your dilemma of too much wall space, which meant more cabinets. That's too many cabinets.

Said no one, EVER!
Replacing all the other cabinets to match these. The rest of the kitchen is lauan and I want to reface it to the Honduran Mahogany.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #279
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I was wondering how long the chayote will last in the fridge?
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I'm just wondering how many I can get away with buying at one time and not have them go bad.

I don't keep it in the fridge. I just keep it in a basket like winter squash. I've kept it several weeks just on the counter without any noticeable deterioration.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #280
sunburnt_lush
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunburnt_lush
Stats: 235/"/190
WOE: Syncretic
usual method

Amazing thread! I love the inventive ways you've all used these strange and fabulous little fruits.

I can't get enough of these things, they're a quarter a pop or less right now at pretty much all grocers nearby, as is usual during the winter. Believe it or not, they do have a really nice intrinsic flavor, you've just got to coax it out. My preferred method is to simmer small-to-medium-sized chunks of it--actually I'll boil without apology, it's impossible to overcook these things--with a tiny dash of salt and a heavier dash of pepper, for about 20-30 minutes in a shallow layer of water. When the water's evaporated I add a bit of fat and brown the chunks. This seems to make their flavor pop, kind of a cross between a green bell pepper and a honeydew.

You can do pretty much anything with those chunks from there. It's fun to drop some shrimp, crab, Krab, or chunks of fish in with it, then throw in butter and a bit of marsala (any wine will do, really) to finish as a sauce. the seafood cooks up in no time at all, and the mirliton makes a fantastic counterpart to the marine protein.

For parties (of one sometimes) I'll add velveeta and/or cream cheese, melt it down, and scoop it with pork rinds--can't claim this is particularly good for you, but it's better than Taco Bell for sure. The cheese and the squash marry better than even I could have imagined.

Last edited by sunburnt_lush; 12-11-2017 at 12:08 PM..
sunburnt_lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #281
harold
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: harold
Stats: 131/131/115
WOE: Lower carb
Start Date: September 1971
For those of you who live in zones 8 thru 10 and have a sturdy fence or way to support the vines, you can, I've read/been told, grow your own. I've started 3 in central FL but didn't keep them watered or have support so lost them. I have 2 growing now. Fingers crossed I take better care of these. Easy to get them to sprout. Typing from phone so can't post links. Search.
harold is offline   Reply With Quote