Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #691
julieboolie
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/169/158-163lbs
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Count me in the snail metabolism camp! Stinks! But despite research and exercise in the past, there isn't too much we can do to change it! So, diet is our only choice. Yay.

Shari-glad you enjoyed yourself fully on the cruise!! You know hcg works, but it's hard! You're motivated and experienced and you'll do great!!

Deb-yes! I'm sure with your dgs around Christmas will be way more exciting!!! Ww works and you'll be able to live life too. You're going to look amazing at that wedding!!

Izzy-so happy you're well and healthy! That's a big accomplishment this year! Hope you can find a relatively painless way to lose too. Time and gravity are not my friends!

Yes, I have a new baby! 3 days old today, were calling her T, or Sweet T . And little man still comes every day which certainly keeps me on my toes! I'm hoping to find my stride and settle in soon. Mostly in survival mode, was 168 after some major indulgence st the holiday weekend, and ate a lot this weekend too! I'll be content wiht the 160's through New Years at this point I think. Loving my hair right now, and wearing most of my clothes...so I'm content.

I'll try t be back soon!

Come visit me in my journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888635
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 AM   #692
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/187/169-mini goal
WOE: low carb-Atkins '72
Start Date: restart- 8/9/16
Julie~ Wow! A 3-day old plus a one year old? My hat if off to you!! I think you're doing wonderful to still be in the 160's with all you have going on. I think waiting and holding for now is smart and will not be too overwhelming. Love your new avi, you look great!!

Izzy~ hope tests come back okay. What an adjustment living with slower metabolism, but like Julie said, we just have to work with it and modify. I feel ya on the weight gained in such a short time; I feel so uncomfortable and clothes are fitting extra tight right now, but one day at a time.

Deb~ I don't think I congratulated your son on his engagement and upcoming marriage. You have a big motivator for his (and your) big day!! I remember you mentioning WW changing their plan; I'll definitely check it out as I'll need something to keep the losses after this round. I know you'll do well!

Yesterday was a bit rough; I have to get use to not being full and stuffed LOL. Down a couple pounds so happy about that. This round will not produce any ground breaking scale number, I'm truly doing this to just get back to where I was in the summer with some inch loss.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #693
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
Me too Izzy!!! crawling like a snail!!!
Fingers crossed for your test results!!
Thanks Deb! I've crammed in so many doctor appointments this month. My premium went up to 980/mo with "Obamacare" and I cannot afford it next year. Thank God prednisone is cheap! I think it is anyway. LOL
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #694
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post

Yes, I have a new baby! 3 days old today, were calling her T, or Sweet T . And little man still comes every day which certainly keeps me on my toes! I'm hoping to find my stride and settle in soon. Mostly in survival mode, was 168 after some major indulgence st the holiday weekend, and ate a lot this weekend too! I'll be content wiht the 160's through New Years at this point I think. Loving my hair right now, and wearing most of my clothes...so I'm content.

I'll try t be back soon!
I love your hair, Julie! I'm so excited another wee one gets to be loved by your wonderful family. And you still get to see A (Bruce?)!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #695
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Izzy~ hope tests come back okay. What an adjustment living with slower metabolism, but like Julie said, we just have to work with it and modify. I feel ya on the weight gained in such a short time; I feel so uncomfortable and clothes are fitting extra tight right now, but one day at a time.

Yesterday was a bit rough; I have to get use to not being full and stuffed LOL. Down a couple pounds so happy about that. This round will not produce any ground breaking scale number, I'm truly doing this to just get back to where I was in the summer with some inch loss.
You are doing it Shari! I'm still sitting on the fence. I found out that my brother lost another 20 pounds in the last two weeks since I saw him. He's lost 80 pounds since August with this pancreatic cancer. I couldn't sleep last night and did some comfort eating. But this comfort eating has to stop. I'm going to comfort eat myself all the way up to 250 if I don't stop soon.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #696
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
You are doing it Shari! I'm still sitting on the fence. I found out that my brother lost another 20 pounds in the last two weeks since I saw him. He's lost 80 pounds since August with this pancreatic cancer. I couldn't sleep last night and did some comfort eating. But this comfort eating has to stop. I'm going to comfort eat myself all the way up to 250 if I don't stop soon.
Izzy, I'm right there with you. I'm the heaviest I've been since before starting my hhcg journey in 2009! It's unbelievable how easy it comes back on...ugh. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother; continued prayers for you and your family, what a difficult time this must be for you (all). I totally understand comfort eating.

Deb~ I came in to work today after being on vacay and received an email that they are starting WW at work again, the end of this month. What's your take on the new program? I'm considering joining again as I know hhcg and strict low carb is not feasible (for me) for long term weight management.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #697
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
Quote:
Izzy, I'm right there with you. I'm the heaviest I've been since before starting my hhcg journey in 2009! It's unbelievable how easy it comes back on...ugh. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother; continued prayers for you and your family, what a difficult time this must be for you (all). I totally understand comfort eating.

Deb~ I came in to work today after being on vacay and received an email that they are starting WW at work again, the end of this month. What's your take on the new program? I'm considering joining again as I know hhcg and strict low carb is not feasible (for me) for long term weight management.
Well Shari, I love the new program, but I REALLY have to watch the carbs on this. Beans of all kinds, all fruit, all veges including corn and peas are free food. I think I am going to have to kind of put myself on a limit for that good stuff..

I do enjoy the Chicken and the Seafood being free foods though, plus Greek Plain yogurt. I could make it work as a lower carb version, and still have things I love. I am still in the experiment phase obviously but this is very livable. Now how will I lose on it? Not sure yet!!

I will keep you informed though!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #698
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is MOTIVATING!!!

Posted 1 minute ago by sstegemiller ()
Avatar for post owner sstegemiller
sstegemiller
Posted by sstegemiller
Listen up, truth ahead: are you 55+ ? Do you have hypothyroidism? Been diagnosed pre-diabetic and on meds for it? Me too, I had all those challenges and much more when I started WW. For those of you who think you can’t lose weight due to any of these reasons, you absolutely CAN do it. The photo on the left I was 47 years old and weighed 237, the photo on the right is me at 61 years old this past Sunday. I’ve lost 94 lbs on WW and from size 18/20 to 4’s. I tracked, I planned, I drank water, I started out walking half way round the block and over 2 years later I run 22 miles a week. So if you’re wondering if it can be done I am living proof that you can change your life for the better at any age with several health conditions you can turn all of those around I am now off all medication except for Synthroid for hypothyroidism. It’s never too late!!

SW: 237
GW: 146
CW: 143
HT:... See More
Old 12-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #699
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Forgot to add the pics from WW Connect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre ww.jpg (37.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #700
shari
Major LCF Poster!

WOW! That is motivating and definitely hits home regarding thyroid issues. Okay, I may go for it.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #701
julieboolie
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/169/158-163lbs
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Wow! Thanks for that motivation Deb! I was laughing reading your free foods list...I could live on the free foods and know that wouldn't help me lose! looking forward to hearing how it works for you and your version of it!

Izzy-I hear you on the comfort eating! I do it too, and stress too! But recognizing it and reigning it in is good stuff!

Shari-nice! Love those first week losses!! Go girl! You are doing great! That empty feeling is an adjustment for sure! But good stuff!

Thanks for the compliments on my hair! It's nice to have a somewhat decent look with a bit of effort. sleep deprived, my little one was up all night, finally asleep at 4am. I'm beat! Going to bed soon! First immersion bath today as her umbilical finally fell off (it was so stinky!) looking forward to her smelling good!!

Take care all!

Come visit me in my journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=888635
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #702
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Julie! Wow what a surprise you came in, happy to see you post since understanding your sleep deprivation right now. I hope you were able to get some zzzz last night.

Down close to 5lbs today...mostly water weight due to cruise eating LOL, but happy to see the scale number going down vs. up. I tell ya, it's rough sometimes during the day...really it's more mental as the drops do help a lot. I wonder how I stayed through it during those first hhcg days to do several rounds at a time.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #703
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, how do you do this? I would be in tears all the time so I know it takes a special family to Foster. Good luck to you!!!! Love your Hair!!!!

Shari, FANTASTIC!!!!! I know what you mean about the water weight and just releasing it feels so good. Water weight is WEIGHT that we still have to carry around. I also agree that I don't know how I stuck to those days years ago, it is so hard now. Keep it up!!!!

Izzy, hope today is going well for you!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #704
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Hi ladies!
Deb, you are gorgeous! What a transformation!
Shari - woohoo on the 5!
Julie - don't know how you do it all!

My blood tests came back:
A1C: 5.3
TSH: 1.920
Free T4: 1.25
Free T3: 2.9
Reverse T3: 19.0

Do these look okay? I was so afraid the year plus on prednisone gave me diabetes! I'm still in the clear so far I guess.

I'll try to paste the rest:
GLUCOSE, SERUM 98 65-99 mg/dL Final 01
BUN 15 8-27 mg/dL Final 01
CREATININE, SERUM 0.65 0.57-1.00 mg/dL Final 01
EGFR IF NONAFRICN AM 97 >59 mL/min/1.73 Final 01
EGFR IF AFRICN AM 112 >59 mL/min/1.73 Final 01
BUN/CREATININE RATIO 23 12-28 Final 01
SODIUM, SERUM 140 134-144 mmol/L Final 01
POTASSIUM, SERUM 4.2 3.5-5.2 mmol/L Final 01
CHLORIDE, SERUM 99 96-106 mmol/L Final 01
CARBON DIOXIDE, TOTAL 24 18-29 mmol/L Final 01
CALCIUM, SERUM 8.9 8.7-10.3 mg/dL Final 01
PROTEIN, TOTAL, SERUM 6.7 6.0-8.5 g/dL Final 01
ALBUMIN, SERUM 3.9 3.6-4.8 g/dL Final 01
GLOBULIN, TOTAL 2.8 1.5-4.5 g/dL Final 01
A/G RATIO 1.4 1.2-2.2 Final 01
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.5 0.0-1.2 mg/dL Final 01
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE, S 91 39-117 IU/L Final 01
AST (SGOT) 23 0-40 IU/L Final 01
ALT (SGPT) 18 0-32 IU/L Final 01
RESULT NOTE FASTING YES

Last edited by Izzysdream; 12-06-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #705
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

I found this interesting article online from Dr. Breen
When the average family doctor checks your thyroid he typically checks something called the TSH test. TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone and is a hormone that is produced by the pituitary gland in the center of the brain. It’s main function is to tell the thyroid to make thyroid hormone, hence the reason it is called thyroid STIMULATING hormone. The pituitary gland senses how much thyroid hormone is in the bloodstream. If the the circulating level of thyroid (T4 and T3) are low then the TSH goes UP because the brain is sensing that the thyroid needs to make more thyroid. So in patients that have HYPOthyroidism (under active thyroid), the brain senses that there is not enough thyroid hormone in the blood and the TSH goes up. The exact opposite occurs in patients with HYPERthyroidism (overactive thyroid). The brain senses that there is too much circulating thyroid hormone (T4 and T3) and the brain slows down production of TSH, hence the TSH goes down or is low.

So to recap: TSH is HIGH is HYPOthyroidism and the TSH is LOW in HYPERthyroidism. Are you with me thus far?

The range for TSH in the blood is 0.45-4.5 The endocrinology community used to set the upper limit for TSH at 10, then it was lowered to 5 and now most doctors want to keep the TSH at 2.5 or below.

Before I comment more on the TSH let me explain a few more tests.

TSH tells the thyroid to primarily make two hormones. 80% of the thyroid made is T4 and 20% of the thyroid hormone is T3. Some doctors actually like to check the level of T4 and will order that test as well. The range in the blood is typically 0.85-1.79 In patients who have HYPOthyroidism it would be low because the thyroid gland is not making enough hormone. In HYPERthyroidism the T4 will typically be high.

Now that you learned about TSH and T4, I want to spend some time talking about the MOST IMPORTANT thyroid test that your doctor probably didn’t order. The free T3 (triiodothyronine) is the most important test because T3 is the only metabolically active hormone. That means it is T3 that has an effect on a cellular level and determines whether or not you are symptomatic. Let me point out that 80% of the thyroid that is made is T4. The obvious question then is why does the thyroid produce so much T4 is it is the T3 that effects the cell. The first answer is that it is primarily T4 that can cross into the brain and have an effect on brain cells. T3 generally does not cross the blood brain barrier. What the body does though is it converts the majority of T4 to T3 AFTER the thyroid gland secretes it. So it is the free T3 that we really need to look at when looking at thyroid studies and evaluating someone for thyroid disease.

The range for free T3 in the blood is 2.0-4.4 That means that 95% of people will have a free T3 that falls within this range.

Most doctors will tell patients that their thyroid is normal if their TSH is normal. They won’t even look at the free T4 or free T3. The reason why this is flawed is because you can have a perfectly normal TSH and have a free T3 that is low. So your doctor incorrectly diagnoses you with a normal thyroid when in fact you need thyroid badly.

If a patient comes to me with symptoms of hypothyroidism (cold hands/feet, tired, fatigued, constipated, can’t lose weight, is losing hair, has thinning eyebrows and is depressed) I focus on the free T3. If the free T3 is not in the upper range of normal (4.0-4.4) then I treat them with thyroid (armour or compounded dessicated thyroid which is T4 AND T3). Generally, patients do not feel better until their free T3 is in the upper range of normal. I can not tell you how many patients I see who are cold, tired and fatigued who are told their thyroid is normal when in fact they need thyroid and feel incredible when I treat them.

Some doctors like myself will also check for antibodies against the thyroid gland. One common reason for an under or overactive thyroid is the bodies immune system attacks the thyroid gland (hashimotos or graves disease). Identifying auto-antibodies against the thyroid does not change management as far as prescribing thyroid, but it does clue the physician into other things to focus on. For example the patient may have gluten intolerance which is triggering the immune system to be overactive.

The main point I want to make is this. DEMAND your doctor checks your free T3. If is not optimal (4.0-4.4) and you have symptoms then you will benefit from taking armor thyroid or compounded dessicated thyroid.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #706
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Izzy thanks for sharing. It still baffles me that doctors still have to be asked to test T3 (and T4). Hope you're doing well.

Deb~ hope WW is still going well for you. I'm still considering joining when it's offered through the job; I wasn't too fond of the last Leader so I'll have to inquire if she's still leading the work group.

Julie~ hope you're able to rest when you can!

I've been still holding on, somewhat. I've added more protein and using minimal, but regular salad dressing---just couldn't stomach the FF ones anymore. I'm down 7lbs, but still over 200lbs so have a lot more to go. I'm going to try 2.0 this weekend (easier to do when not working).
Old 12-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #707
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Go Shari!! That is wonderful! Keep it up!

WW is going fine for me, just have to watch the zero point beans, corn and peas...... I love them and could way overeat if I don't watch it.

Love having free Chicken breast, eggs, yogurt, Turkey breast, it would be very easy to do Low Carb on this. My first weigh in is tomorrow, but I know it won't be a lot. That is how it goes though, it's not fast losses.

Izzy, thank you so much, but that is not me.. I snagged it off the WW website to show it is possible to lose with health issues and age........

Julie, hope all is going well for you!! How long do you have the newborn? OR do you even know? That is so crazy how quickly they say.. here she is! I always wonder about the Mom and how she feels just having a baby and not being able to take her home. Rough stuff.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #708
shari
Major LCF Poster!

yes, I read some on the new WW plan; I'd have to watch it too, love beans and corn so that would be challenging, but how nice to have these options. I can see how low carb eating is easier now. Good luck on your weigh in tomorrow.

First snow day, in the house, being lazy, and trying not to overeat.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #709
shari
Major LCF Poster!

I have to say the accountability I'm giving myself of coming here is helping me out right now. My plan yesterday worked, down 2.2 more pounds, so total of 9.2 since Monday. I'm going to really try to not overeat again today , staying in makes me want to snack...
Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #710
Deb294evr
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have to say the accountability I'm giving myself of coming here is helping me out right now. My plan yesterday worked, down 2.2 more pounds, so total of 9.2 since Monday. I'm going to really try to not overeat again today , staying in makes me want to snack...
That is wonderful Shari!! I am so proud of you! This is not an easy task and you are doing it! For YOU!!!!

You can make it through the next hour, then the next, and the next!!!