Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Children's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
LC1998
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC1998
Question for care givers of young kids

One of the biggest challenges - if not THE biggest challenge - is that I have 2 very rambunctious young sons. They are active, active, active, and loud and did I mention active?

They eat very healthy, but they eat a LOT, it seems like all they do is eat (8 years old).

I have developed a very bad habit of eating out of frustration, exhaustion, emotion, boredom or just because it is hard to be a care giver without wanting a food reward. Intellectually I know this is wrong, but actually sticking to my plan is another story.

Anyone else? Advice?
LC1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
vastamper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010
I understand eating when stressed!!!!

Right now I am back at Low Carb and trying to manage my stress. I am trying to talk myself through it in my head, actively ignore certain things and exercise. It is working a little bit.

I am also trying to focus on myself and my goals. That's VERY difficult when you are a "care taker" for the elderly, young children or whoever.

Best of luck to you in this journey!!

Yes it's summer, but I'm keeping this quote to motivate me!

I am modifying my WOE!

OWL Rungs...1 Veggies 2 Yogurt 3 Seeds and Nuts 4 Berries and Melons 5 Wine 6 Legumes 7 More fruits 8 Starchy veggies 9 Whole grains and CCLL!
vastamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Iwantlessofme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Melting/Down 0 sizes/ alot to go!
WOE: Low-carb, no sugar
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Welcome!!

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I am a stay at home, homeschooling Mom and wife. Personally I have the same types of issues with eating.

So now a days I keep 0 carb items on hand for the moments of stress, frustration and anxiety. If I don't want the 0 carb items then I know I am not really hungry and I only allow those items. Some 0 carb items are Bacon, Hard boiled eggs, Deviled egg salad, chicken salad, tuna and mayo, Brats (make sure they are 0 carb), or Pork rinds, just to name a few.

As far as rewards, I set goals for myself, if I work out I am allowed to have my low carb sugar free big train frapp., or if I get all the house work done, I allow my self a piece of low carb sugar free home made fudge, after I get done doing my 2 acre lawn I am allowed a VERY cold diet pepsi and a piece of fudge if I want it.

The funny thing is, doing it this way I actually have trained myself to eat less and less often. I still stop and stare in the fridge, but a lot of times I just move on. Another upside is my house is very clean, I am working out consistently (and I do NOT like to work out), and my yard looks awesome .

I hope this helps. Have a beautiful day.

Mindy
Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Arctic_Mama
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/232/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm like Mindy. I have four small children at home right now, homeschool them, and am here all day long. Yes, emotional eating and boredom eating and cleaning their plates for them are challenges, but in NO way insurmountable.

Be mindful about eating during meal times, at the table, with all your food in front of you before you begin.

Institute a no grazing policy.

Make use of tea, gum, and diet soda, if need be, to prevent caloric snacking if you need your mouth busy. You're going to have to be conscientious about eschewing these habits until it becomes automatic.

For me, the accountability of a food journal is invaluable against the bite/lick/taste trap. If I am writing it down every time, I don't do it nearly as much.

Finally, not letting my kids be an excuse! I have every reason in the world to eat crappy and eat all day - I'm stressed, busy, bored, and pregnant, all at once! But you know what? Everyone has stress, everyone has temptation, and if it isn't a kitchen all day long it is the drive through on the way home, complimentary cookies on the lunch room table, emotional letdown from failed relationships, and social eating for the dating scene. We ALL have it. But we don't all have to be slaves to it. There is a choice and we can make it, one minute at a time. And it does get easier after practice, it does becomes more automatic. But you have to take the first step of making a commitment and sticking with it. We all do

Mission on hold for baby #6 due around the new year
On a mission to get back down to prepregnancy weight of 145
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #5
Meme
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC1998 View Post
One of the biggest challenges - if not THE biggest challenge - is that I have 2 very rambunctious young sons. They are active, active, active, and loud and did I mention active?

They eat very healthy, but they eat a LOT, it seems like all they do is eat (8 years old).

I have developed a very bad habit of eating out of frustration, exhaustion, emotion, boredom or just because it is hard to be a care giver without wanting a food reward. Intellectually I know this is wrong, but actually sticking to my plan is another story.

Anyone else? Advice?
I know where your coming from. After raising 4 children and two nieces at my home all the time with us, I don't think I was able to read a book or watch an entire TV show for twenty five years, until they went to bed anyway and even then, there is so much to do that you can't do when they are awake.. When you pick up the phone, they automatically need you, right away.

I remember thinking that some days would never end but things will not always stay the same and they will pass through this active stage as they get older. They are eating machines and I know how it seems like you are constantly going from meal to meal and snack to snack with them, especially with growing boys.
One idea is to get rid of the bad stuff like chips or Cheetos so that you won't be tempted to pop it into your mouth when they are snacking.
*Find ways to reward yourself for all of your hard work. If you do put it in your mouth, come to your senses and go spit it out...seriously.
Like arctic mom and the others said, arm yourself with some things you can do to stay on track.
Definitely sit down to eat dinner and try to enjoy what you are eating. I say that because I remember after eating a meal with them that I didn't even remember eating that food or if it tasted good, due to their high activity level and constant talking.
Know that this weight loss journey is all for you! It's the main thing that you can control. Hugs to you!

Last edited by Meme; 06-19-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
LC1998
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC1998
Thank you so much for the support. It means so much to me. It can feel very isolating, I live in an affluent Northeast suburb (that I SO wish we had moved out of before the kids went into the school system, now I don't want to move them) but I swear there are literally like 5 overweight people in our entire town. When I go to school events there are some who look at me I like am sub-human. I have struggled with carbs all of my life, but until I had kids I was always a thin size. I just feel stuck in a ditch I can't get out of.
LC1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Meme
Major LCF Poster!

Don't let the neighborhood meanies bother you. Keep a big smile on your face and that usually nullifies their behavior because you don't react like they want you to.
You will see this diet work and just focus on yourself and stick with it, you will see the pounds dropping. The more you write down what your eating the more successful you will be because there are hidden carbs in so many things. Stock up on foods you can have especially for snacks. sugar free jello is a good one to keep around, plus it makes your nails strong. Pick up a couple of cheeses you like. Parmesano Regiano is a good one because you can slice off thin curls which satisfies that taste craving and you don't need much.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Meme
Major LCF Poster!

Bump for all of you moms with young active children.
Share your ideas with this Mom...