IvyTucker
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IvyTucker
Stats: 153/130/126
WOE: Atkins/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: May 2014
Ketogenic Diet for Epilepsy

Hello All

I'm new to this forum. My daughter has epilepsy and we have just been referred to a dietician try a ketogenic diet. Just wondered if anyone else on here has experience with this?

I have been following New Atkins for a couple of months myself, so I feel prepared for doing this!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
maximumdensity
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Welcome Ivy,
I do not have the experience your looking for but I do want to welcome you and your daughter. I know Atkins works for weight loss. I have seen that keto has great sucess with epilepsy patients.

My advise would be to keep your menus as simple as possible, give it a good 6 weeks or so before you try to get creative with recipes. I hope your daughter does not have a sweet tooth, that will make it an easier transition for her.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
IvyTucker
Junior LCF Member

I have already gradually introduced a low-carb diet. She is a different person - that's why we got the referral to do it properly!

At the moment I aim to keep her carbs at 10g/day - but the ceiling is 20g/day. She is managing fine - I love to cook, so I make a cake she enjoys occasionally, and she is happy with sugar free jelly and cream or natural greek yogurt with sweetener.

She is quite overweight and I hoped this would help her to lose some of that - or at least grow into it. I have been tracking, and since she has gone into ketosis she isn't half so hungry and only wanting about 1000 calories a day. Unfortunately the medication she is taking has changed her metabolism and she has actually gained weight again (she gets weighed when we visit the hospital - not at home). Hoping when we are doing this diet properly under the dietician and it works we can wean her off the meds and she'll start thinning out.

Thanks for the reply. Will keep posting.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
IvyTucker
Junior LCF Member

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested.......

daughter has been on keto for several months now, under strict supervision of a qualified dietician. She is making good ketones (although they are always low in the morning) and has had no seizures for 10 weeks! We are really thrilled and hope that soon we can start weaning the medication.

Any more benefits? She is losing weight (very slowly) and I have lost nearly 2 stone!!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
That's wonderful! It must be quite a relief for you as her mother too.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
IvyTucker
Junior LCF Member

yes, it is a relief to feel I can actually do something to help her. Never easy though. Home is fine - we don't have non-keto foods available - but when going out to friends I have to watch her like a hawk as one mouthful of something sugary will totally muck up her ketone levels and possibly cause a seizure. Last week she nicked a lindt chocolate truffle and sweetly came and gave me the wrapper - by which time it was in her stomach. Grrr - I couldn't help feeling rather worried, but gave her a very high snack to try and compensate. Although her ketones did go much lower than they normally are, she was just fine. (in a way I'm glad, but in another way this gives her licence to do it again!).