Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
moonmirror
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 211/190.0/145
WOE: 50 or less total carbohydrates per day
Start Date: 7/10/15
I want an appointment with Dr. Robert Lustig

After researching him a bit I realized he has a child obesity clinic in San Francisco, a mere 80 miles from my home.

Apparently there is a 3-4 month waiting list!!!

My oldest daughter is 17 and she cured her obesity problem with paleo/lc three years ago. She's now active, avoids all grains/sugars/legumes, and a normal weight (5'9 and around 150) My second daughter is 16, she is only slightly overweight (size 8-10), but does not overeat/gain central obesity and seems to have a naturally more intuitive eating pattern. My third daughter is 8, and her problem seems worst of all. She is getting fat. I am starting to lose sleep over her.

I would love to get treatment for her there.

Apparently I can get on the waiting list with a referral from her regular physician. I think its time to get started with that.

At the very least: this way I can give her school official medical notification about the foods she needs to avoid.

Last edited by moonmirror; 11-12-2014 at 07:45 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Sounds like you know what to do. Since you buy the groceries and prepare the food you can provide good food at home and pack healthful lunches and snacks. That's what he is going to tell you to do anyway.

I get having a medical opinion to support your dietary requests, but sounds like it's hard at home?

Lustig is big on anti-sugar, but he doesn't seem to get the grain connection at all. I think he's just happy if he can get kids to cut out sodas and candy, cookies, cake. He doesn't get why fat is good, either.

You may get a lot of the same old same old. Here's something from his clinic's website:

Quote:
Teaching Breakfast — Because the children can't eat before their blood test, they're often rather hungry. A crucial part of the first visit is a teaching breakfast lead by nutritionist Andrea Garber who talks about principles of healthy eating while the children and their parents taste the examples. The breakfast includes an assortment of high-fiber breads and cereals, low-fat milk and yogurt, fruit, nuts and other healthy items. All the food is donated by Trader Joes.
Sigh ...

Last edited by Janknitz; 11-12-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

There's a book that might help--"Eat Like a Dinosaur". It's a storybook to introduce the Paleo diet to kids but the real value of the book is that there's an extensive parents' guide to implementing the new way of eating PLUS lots of kid-friendly recipes your daughter might enjoy helping you make.

It will help your daughter understand the nutrition guidelines, and the recipes are for the kinds of foods kids will eat. IMHO, the book is a little too heavy on sweet treats, but there's a lot of great ideas that are grain-free and nutrient dense.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
GME
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
After researching him a bit I realized he has a child obesity clinic in San Francisco, a mere 80 miles from my home.

Apparently there is a 3-4 month waiting list!!!

My oldest daughter is 17 and she cured her obesity problem with paleo/lc three years ago. She's now active, avoids all grains/sugars/legumes, and a normal weight (5'9 and around 150) My second daughter is 16, she is only slightly overweight (size 8-10), but does not overeat/gain central obesity and seems to have a naturally more intuitive eating pattern. My third daughter is 8, and her problem seems worst of all. She is getting fat. I am starting to lose sleep over her.

I would love to get treatment for her there.

Apparently I can get on the waiting list with a referral from her regular physician. I think its time to get started with that.

At the very least: this way I can give her school official medical notification about the foods she needs to avoid.
By all means, call and get on his list. 3-4 months will fly by in no time.

I wouldn't count on her school being able to do much, even with a doctor's note. They don't have the kind of food she needs to eat. Pack her lunch, there is no way around it. Feed her a good, protein & fat-rich breakfast, then she won't start the day on the blood sugar roller-coaster.

If you don't feel like you can tackle school right now (I know some kids are funny about what they eat at school), start with breakfast and dinner. If she is well-nourished she won't crave the junk so much at school.

Does she look up to her older sister? Ask the 16 year old for her help. Don't make it about weight though, make it all about health.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Can she bring her lunch to school?? At least then you would be knowing what she is eating.
I'm sure Dr. Lustig would be wonderful. And those months fly by.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
webcrystal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Well not sure about that doc if he's pushing grains - jmo but I've had PCOS, as does my dau, and my son has hyperinsulinemia ... all are aggravated (read gain weight, etc.) on grains.

Anyway my son has been GF since he was 3 or 4 (failure to grow), eczema, etc. What I did for him was to look at the lunch menu and try to find something that would be similar. Bought him a cool lunch pack, brought out the elitist in him by going on about cruddy lunch food, yadda yadda. (worked while he was younger not so much now sigh).

Personally what I would NOT do is go on about her weight or severely restrict her calories (just her grains/sugars). Focus more on the health benefit rather than the weight loss itself. Also finding sites for kids that talk paleo, etc. might help.

The other thing is to keep her busy so she doesn't get focused on foods, etc. no idle hands, etc. keep her busy, busy, busy.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Janknitz
Major LCF Poster!

Moonmirror, let us know how it goes.