Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
doxielove
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/156/115
Paleo or LCHF for teenage boy

Hi Friends,
My 13 year old son has been overweight almost all his life. he is 5'8" and weighs about 200 lbs, carrying most of it in his belly and face (arms and legs are average). he has become very self-concious and asked me to "buy diet food." My heart is breaking fo him and I want to help him. I looked into Weight Watchers because I thought his school lunches wouldn't look different from the other kids, but they said 45 points a day and that's a lot of food. He needs to see some kind of loss in the first week or so to avoid being discouraged. I've never done paleo but I wonder if it would be better for him since it does allow fruit and he is a really picky eater. But then I wonder if I should cut out all dairy since he is still growing. Please give me any thoughts/suggestions/opinions...he wants to start Monday. PS we have a history of diabetes and high blood pressure in the family, so that's more incentive to do something.
thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would pick 'primal' at least at first. Paleo does not allow dairy and that along with no grains, a.s., extra may be too restrictive for him.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
My 12.5 year old son has started plain old low carb, which for me does mean LCHF. There is a pretty good thread going here: http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=871004 Personally I would not do Weight Watchers as 1) it isn't the best way for someone with a family history of diabetes to eat and 2) I would not push quantity restriction at this age. Low carb will take care of quantity with natural hunger suppression.

ETA: Here is another recent thread: http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=868328

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-26-2015 at 03:29 PM..