Old 04-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Erin57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/137/150 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Dog Food Recipe

I have had several people ask for my dog food recipe. This is the one that I finally perfected after reading several books on doggie nutrition. I had to sort of make my own way with how I felt about the grains. I was open to raw feeding, but after trying it, realized that it was not for me. I will still buy kidney and heart and give them as raw treats in small amounts. I opted to not do the rice or oats, so you could modify to add cooked rice or oats if you want.

I started on this journey several years ago, when my dogs started getting weird hot spots and tummy problems. I was a little nervous about making my own food since it is not “balanced.” This is like thinking that your kids need breakfast cereal because it is fortified. Over the past few years, I’ve done a lot of reading and studying. NOT just recipes pulled from the net.

If you decided to add grains just keep the volume in mind when adding the Bone Meal. I opted to use the Bone Meal over just adding the eggs with the shells into the blender. Using Bone Meal allowed for a more exact Calcium/Phosphorus ratio.

If you decide to go with homemade your dogs will probably require more food. The calories are less than something like kibble. Anna is a 30 lb. puppy and is eating 4 cups a day. Baxter is a 30 lb. 17 year old and he is eating 2 cups. You will also notice that they no longer drink water. They will get the water from the food and won’t be trying to process the fiber in commercial foods. I am a big pooper scooper so I watch their stools. If you add rice or grains, look for undigested food in the stool. You should see smaller stools also.

7 lbs. ground beef
3 lbs. ground turkey
1 lb. ground pork

10 eggs
3-4 lbs. frozen vegetables
1 tub chicken livers or one can of wild salmon
3 cans of pumpkin
12 tsp. (1/4 cup) KAL Bone Meal

Mix ground meats together in a large roasting pan. I use a large oval one with 5” deep sides. Steam all veggies until just soft, let drain and cool.

Crack 5 eggs and put in the blender. Top with some of the veggies and then some of the liver or salmon. Blend until there aren’t any veggie pieces. Pour over meat. Repeat with rest of eggs, liver and veggies, blend and pour over meat. Mix meat and veggies well with your hands. I was just adding the veggies to my old recipe, but have found that making this “slurry” isn’t really that hard and I can see a big difference in their stools.

Cook at 350 for about 1-2 hours. Check every half hour and stir and drain of liquid and fat. Remove from oven when all red is gone from meat. Stir well and put 3 cans of pumpkin on top. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of Kal Bone Meal. Continue to stir well until bone meal and pumpkin are well distributed.

Makes 23 cups.

I rotate the veggies and buy the 16 oz. frozen bags. I use peas and carrots, cauliflower, different greens, green beans, squash, and okra. Baxter doesn’t have issues with the broccoli, but Anna does seem to so I go light on that. One week I do liver and the next I do Salmon.

I add 1 scoop of Nupro Supplement per meal and add a little hot water to make a gravy. Anna is a puppy so she gets ¼ tsp. of extra Kal Bone Meal with hers.

They split a can of Sardines every day as their special (stinky) treat. I was supplementing with Fish Oil and didn’t really trust the product and it was expensive. Sardines are $1 a can, use the water packed only. They are nasty but the doggies love them!!

I hope that this in helpful for anyone who is trying to figure out doggie food recipes.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
sunset
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunset
Thanks for posting this recipe. I have been thinking about doing homemade food for our dog.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
my mom makes food for our dog. She is not fed exclusively this food though, she also has kibble. I didn't know pumpkin was good for dogs. My mom makes food with just meat and vegetables, maybe I will tell her about the pumpkin.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
LINC
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LINC
Wow, thanks for this. I've just pretty much winged it in the past. I really want to go back to homemade dog food. I have to ask, why the three different types of meat? So I could add the eggs shells and omit the bone meal? So you would add rice on top of everything else? Would you mind explaining why you opt not to?

I'm figuring a 12 year old 15 pound dog would eat 1/3 of this in a week?

Thanks again. This is great! Very similar to what I was feeding my dogs with a few extras I never thought about, like the pumpkin. I just keep cubes of that in the freezer for tummy issues.

Lou
LINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
catkan
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Is there a formula you use to figure out how much to feed?
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Sounds good but the way my life is going I don't even put this much effort into people food. I have a diabetic dog with weight problems and several old dogs so I will keep this in mind. I feed yogurt & cottage cheese along with canned food and some grain free kibble.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
My mom makes chicken breasts for her dog abby every few days.. It is all she will eat because she is super picky but I am sure if my mom gave her something different, she would get hungry enough she'd eat it..

How long does making this recipe last you for your doggies? I am going to buy some sardines for my Presley because he absolutely loves a salmon and red potato dog biscuit, probably because it is a little stinky! Dogs love eating stinky stuff. lol

Several years ago I did make my dogs homemade dog biscuits and they really did like those. I should make those again also..

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
Sascha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sascha
WOE: lchf
Start Date: may 2015
we keep it simple. we feed our dogs raw
Sascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Born Ready
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Born Ready
Stats: 261/-/-
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start Jan 2017
I have a very picky diabetic dog. She use to free-feed, but now with the diabetes she must eat in order for me to give her insulin twice daily. I make her food by boiling ground beef or ground turkey and adding an "ice cube" of frozen beef broth. I mix with small amount of brown rice and chopped green beans etc and supplement with fish oil and other supplements recommended by vet. I make large batches an freeze in 1 wk portions. Her treats are small pieces of rice cakes w/low sodium/low sugar natural peanut butter. Like humans when carbs are involved, so must be protein. I swear I cook more for her than me, but she's worth it and it helps keep my hands away from taking food to my mouth.
Born Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
Sascha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sascha
WOE: lchf
Start Date: may 2015
born ready.......diabetic dogs are like diabetic humans. the more carbs, the more need for intervention.

if you are open to feeding raw, i can just about guarantee her need for insulin will drop significantly.

as a diabetic, i would not eat brown rice or rice cakes.....

dogs use fat as their source of energy, much like the people doing keto diets, for a dog, that IS their diet.....animal protein/fat/bone/organ. they don't have the enzymes to process vegetables, peanut butter, green beans, etc......and especially starches like rice....

carbs should not be involved in a dog's diet...

Googele: chanceslittlewebsite
and
vetsallnatural (Australian)

there are other articles which address diabetes and dogs, but these are two to start with.

whilst i do not do a completely no carb diet......i take no meds, and blood sugars are normal. but i am an omnivore and dogs, by characteristic, anatomy and physiology are carnivores.

Last edited by Sascha; 07-05-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Sascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Born Ready
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Born Ready
Stats: 261/-/-
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start Jan 2017
Thanks Sascha. I tried feeding raw but this 11 lb poodle didn't do well on it. Her carbs are very minimal and rice cake/pnt butter treat amounts to just a pinch or two off a cake and hides a pill well. Green beans or brocolli is also minimal and run through the food processor before adding to food. I would never give her dry food or most canned food again due to the high amt of carbs. Her diet is 95% meat at this time. Sometimes you just have to feed them what they'll consistently eat. After many tries, this is what the vet and I finally were able to make work for her.
Born Ready is offline   Reply With Quote