Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Mr_Geiri
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/165/170
Start Date: December 2013
My doctor wants to put me on STATINS

I guess she's kinda old school. She looked at my total cholesterol number and immediately started talking about statins (how I should be on a prevention dose).

I had couple of questions for her.

- Even if my numbers aren't the best, isn't 30 kinda young to be put on statins? Her answer was no. This lead to a awkward moment later on because when she was putting my numbers in a calculator for future risk of heart disease, the lowest age you could put in it was 35.

- Aren't the ratios more important than the total numbers? She admitted this was true (but didn't bother bringing up this factor herself), but that she would still like to see the total number go down.

I could have asked her more questions but really just wasn't in the mood for it. She's going to give it a chance until next fall (because my lifestyle recently changed from sedentary to more active). I'll make sure to be well prepared by then with info and questions.

Anyway I know we have some self-educated cholesterol experts on this board so I would love to have your opinion on my numbers.

Total: 360
HDL: 58
LDL: 282
Triglycerides: 97

I've been reading articles and books over the weekend and my take on it is that:

* Inflammation is the biggest risk factor
* Total cholesterol is irrelevant.
* Particle size of LDL matters more than its total number.
* The Triglycerides-HDL is the most important ratio (mine is acceptable).

I haven't had inflammation directly tested but from my understanding a low triglyceride level is usually a sign that you don't have it.

I haven't had the particle size of LDL tested (not sure its even available here, but I'll ask next time). Though from what I've read, low triglycerides make it more likely your LDL is the large fluffy kind (which is good).

So yeah any thoughts?

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-13-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
Mr_Geiri
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/165/170
Start Date: December 2013
P.s. my blood pressure was ideal and my weight also.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's high HDL and low trigs that's the predictor of the 'large, fluffy' LDL.

I've had the test, and my LDL was reported as 100% the 'large, fluffy' kind--BUT my cardiologist says that the idea that particle size is significant is an internet myth--any high LDL is worrisome.

Your HDL isn't especially high--mine is usually 90-100. And your trigs are rather high if you're still eating low carb--mine are usually about 50.

I have labs every 4 months to check on my thyroid (hypothyroid), and my endo always checks lipids as well.

As to age, before statins, it was young men in their 30s who were dying of sudden heart attacks in the US. That was mainly because of a fairly common genetic disturbance that causes excessively high cholesterol. A friend of mine's father died at 35--sudden heart attack--and my friend has been on statins since his early 30s. He was slim and fit, but his cholesterol was very high--due to the genetic inheritance from his father. He's in his 60s now and thriving--and thankful for the statins he takes.

Going on statins should not be a quick decision, but there's a lot of misinformation about it, too, that isn't helpful.

I hope your actions over the next months improve your lipids, but keep in mind that your body controls the amount of cholesterol it chooses to manufacture, and sometimes lifestyle adjustments aren't sufficient.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
See my recent post. I feel your frustration!!!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote