Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
My crazy numbers and now a cardiologist

My cholesterol has been monitored for the past 10 years and was always under 220...with LDL ranging in 120s...all other numbers normal. I started low carb about 2 1/2 years ago because of insulin resistance. And much to my shock, my cholesterol sky rocketed. My most recent numbers are as follows: Total 403. HDL 150. LDL 245. Vldl 8 and triglycerides 42. This past year I started being treated for hypothyroidism, which I know can also cause craziness with cholesterol and glucose. We still haven't been able to get my thyroid numbers in range yet. My thyroid doctor called tonight and said he thinks I should see a cardiologist to make sure I don't have plaque build up. I feel so frustrated. Just when you think you are doing something right for your health. Thoughts? Opinions? I would appreciate any words of wisdom.

FYI...I have never been overweight. Mostly within normal but since low carb I am actually now on the thinner side. Lost 15 pounds 2 years ago but since then my weight has stabilized.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Mr_Geiri
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/165/170
Start Date: December 2013
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.69, which is ideal.

Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.612, which is ideal.

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.267, again ideal.

Sometimes the cholesterol goes up on low carb but usually its mostly or all from increased HDL, which improves your ratio. The triglycerides also tend to go down.

So even though your total number went up, your ratios are great. I'm guessing they are all better than when your total cholesterol was lower.

I would at least get a heart scan and a LDL particle size results before thinking about statins.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-14-2016 at 07:59 PM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 AM   #3
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Hypothyroidism will elevate LDL, and it doesn't come down until you're optimized on Rx supplemental hormones. It happened to me, and although my doctors all knew about this, they made 'noises' about statins, and I ignored them. My LDL is now fine--but it went down very slowly.

Getting a cardiac check up is never a bad idea, but I'd hold off on statins. Your high HDL and low trigs indicates your LDL is likely the 'large, fluffy' kind that is less apt to create plaque.

When my LDL was elevated, I had a VAP test (I, too, had high HDL and low trigs) that showed I had 100% of the 'large, fluffy' kind. My endo said that he noticed the pattern with his patients--i.e., high HDL and low trigs predicted the less dangerous LDL.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #4
ChelePA
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChelePA
I did have a Vap test done...showed elevated lp(a). How about yours Leo? I did have mostly large fluffy A type LDL.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My test was over a year ago, and I don't remember all the numbers--except that my LDL was 100% the 'large, fluffy' kind. My endo mentioned that he's noticed a 'predictor' of those large LDL particles--high HDL and low trigs.

I had the test done when my LDL was higher than optimal, but since I've been on thyroid hormones (treating my hypothyroidism), it's gone back down to normal range.

The only other LDL issue I've experienced, is that using coconut oil spiked my LDL dramatically, and my doctors urged me to eliminate it. Once I did, the LDL went back down. I've since heard of others who have had a similar reaction to CO.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Mr_Geiri
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/165/170
Start Date: December 2013
That's so strange. I thought saturated fat is suppose to raise your HDL. rather than LDL.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote