Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Improved Cholesterol Numbers Tho' Still High Overall But Ratios Good

I had a cholesterol panel done in March 2014 as part of a musculoskeletal work-up. The cholesterol panel has just been redone as part of another one and it's interesting to see the change in the levels (March 2016).

I've been following a 4:3 pattern of modified fasting (I eat approx. 200-350 calories on a run of the mill Fast Day but up to 600 calories on a very active FD - by which I mean an all-day kayaking trip, an 80 mile cycle ride, or similar). I've been fasting like this since 2011 and have been in maintenance since 2013 (with another period of weight loss in there when I decided to work on my body composition irrespective of the scale weight: I'm approximately 20% body fat according to a DXA scan evaluation).

My carb intake is modest but I do eat some in the form of vegetables, nuts, seeds, and occasional berries.
Total Cholesterol: 344 mg/dl 8.95 mmol/L
HDL cholesterol: 100 mg/dl 2.61 mmol/L
LDL cholesterol: 220 mg/dl 5.7 mmol/L
Triglycerides: 117 mg/dl 1.32 mmol/L
TC/HDL ratio:3.4 (where <4 is recommended)
TG/HDL ratio: 0.5 (where <4 is recommended for US units but <1.74 for UK units)
Total Cholesterol: 255 mg/dl 6.6 mmol/L
HDL cholesterol: 92.8 mg/dl 2.4 mmol/L
LDL cholesterol: 155 mg/dl 4.0 mmol/L
Triglycerides: 44.4 mg/dl 0.5 mmol/L
TC/HDL ratio: 2.75 (where <4 is recommended)
TG/HDL ratio: 0.21 (where <4 is recommended for US units but <1.74 for UK units)

I realise that it would be more helpful if I could provide the ranges but the tests were run at different labs with different ranges. The best that I can do is state that in both years, and for both labs, the total cholesterol, HDL, and LDL are all above the high reference limits but the triglycerides are within the 'normal' reference range.

I'm in the demographic for which it's suggested that the TG/HDL ratio is a reasonable proxy to indicate that I'm unlikely to be insulin resistant (a high score would suggest IR). Allegedly altho' my LDL is high I'm more likely to confirm to phenotype A with preponderance of large buoyant fluffy particles than the denser more harmful ones.

We don't routinely measure particle number or conduct NMR analysis in the UK unless you're under the care of a tertiary level cardiology centre and altho' I'm curious the private tests are prohibitively expensive (it would cost in excess of the equivalent of $1000).

There are substantial drops in the total cholesterol and LDL levels with a gratifying small change in the HDL level. I wonder if the cholesterol numbers in 2014 were a little skewed because altho' I'd been in maintenance for over 6 months I'd decided to enter weight loss mode again and was changing my body fat composition at that time.

I occasionally wonder if some of the standard cholesterol panel results are a little different for those of us who practise modified fasting on a regular basis.

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
As an addendum to the above, my triglycerides are sufficiently low to prompt the use of the Iranian rather than standard Friedewald formula (the latter is the typical way to estimate LDL levels when they aren't measured directly and very few labs perform direct measurements).

The Iranian formula estimates my LDL to be 3mmol/L rather than 4mmol/L which brings my total cholesterol level down to a notionally more desirable 5.6mmol/L and thus nearer to the conventionally acceptable level. It would also, of course, improve the TC:HDL ratio even further (2.3 rather than 2.75 ).

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote