Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #1
AmyFL
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyFL
starting with my 14 yo daughter

Hi all,
Im new here. My 14 year old daughter is very overweight and the doctor has recommended low carb. Her weight gain from a combination of factors that include medications and a sedentary lifestyle. She has Aspergers, bipolar, add and was diagnosed with a binge-eating disorder. She hates, hates hates any kind of exercise but does it when forced so that's a plus.

Her blood work shows pre diabetes so we are terrified. SHe's been on medication to control her bipolar since she was 8 or so. THat's when she started gaining weight. We recently switched to a new med and that's when the weight really came on. Of course, you'd naturally think we should take her off this med but it's working so incredibly well, we want to try as hard as we can with weight loss before removing her that's made her so stable.

Oh yah, on top of it all, she hates meat unless it is breaded. So we've got working for us when it comes to low carbing

Anyway, that's my long intro. Any advice or info to help us down this path would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/140/128 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Would she enjoy "smoothies" made with low or O carb whey protein?
Isopure makes a O carb whey that provides 25 G protein/110 calories per scoop. The vanilla cream flavor mixes beautifully with different flavors. They also make an unflavored version that is essentially tasteless when added to other foods

(8 oz. Almond milk, a scoop of whey, a scoop of organic cocoa if you want chocolate, otherwise any other flavoring (butterscotch, banana, orange, coffee etc) , a couple of tablespoon Erythritol or other sweetener blended with ice and you have a low calorie 0-4 net carb "frappucino" type drink that is incredibly filling.

Also, The Great Low Carb Bread Company (Available at Netrition or online) makes very low carb bread crumbs that should work well in any of the breaded meat dishes your daughter likes.

Good luck. My heart goes out to you - all of that to deal with and binge eating too!

Last edited by cgwwilson; 06-06-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Old 06-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Jenn_in_NJ
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/155/meh
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
What does she like to eat now? There are a lot of great cooks on the board who can help you with substitutes for the things she likes to eat. I imagine with her multiple diagnoses change is not something she adapts to well.