Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/221/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC 2004, gastric sleeve 9/15, Fung Fasting 3/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
KT--one of the benefits I am finding with the MCT oil is definitely a shangri la type effect. I am taking 2-3 tsps 3x daily--both on DDs and UDs (I JUDDD). What I notice is that as a result, I immediately know when I have eaten enough food--it is like a giant stop sign that wasn't there before! I keep thinking that this is what normal people feel. I will be in the middle of a meal and all of a sudden I feel like I should NOT take another bite. I have JUDDDed before without the mct and I binged on my Up Days. Not so with the mct. It is remarkable, at least for me. everyone is different.
Yes, yes!!! This is exactly what I mean. I tried to eat something the other night that sounded good, but two bites in and I put it down! It is amazing. I otherwise do not receive any kind of signal while eating!!!!

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #32
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbuell View Post
I was hoping to see you reply, Key Tones, as it was some of your older posts that encouraged me to give this a try. I'm sorry to hear you're also struggling.

I definitely can relate to the stress issues. Financial woes, a special needs child (now young adult), and an unsupportive and negative spouse probably have my cortisol levels off the charts. All we can do is keep persevering . I'm pretty sure high stress and possibly ingestion of NSAIDs for arthritis are partly to blame for my issues. I'm trying to cut back, but most days I do need it, as the pain and inflammation really interfere with my ability to do my work. I'm not diabetic either, but LC'ing is probably the only reason I'm not. I'm the only one in a large immediate/extended family who does not have it. It seems to be hereditary, as even thin, otherwise healthy and active relatives are all diabetic, both Type 1s and Type 2s. I get the "side effects" of MCT also, but do try to incorporate that. I don't take it on an empty stomach though, as it makes me nauseous. Juicing sounds interesting and healthy, but I think again would be too much of a carb spike for me, even just from veggies. Hope you can see some benefit from it.
I am so sorry to hear of your situation Hang in there!

I get higher blood sugar readings (am fasting) if I have had too much protein the night before at dinner. My doctor says I am glycating my proteins I haven't noticed this effect from salads and broccoli and such. I'll be sure to check with the meter. I do have to worry about the effect esp. if I do juice fasts.

If you want to try MCT oil again, it makes a big difference if you pour the oil into a glass of water. I don't get the stomach cramps if I do this. It also decreases the yuck factor of drinking oil.

"Obesity is a hypothalamic/hormonal issue. Using calorie-based weapons to fight a hormonal issue is like bringing a snorkel to a bicycle race." --Jason Fung

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-08-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #33
Ronpozoromo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronpozoromo
I am also trying the resistant starch idea, I'm overweight with type II diabetes. I'm trying to repopulate good bacteria in my gut with Prescript Assist probiotics and Bubbies Sauerkraut . My last AIC was 6.2 with 1500 mg of metformin per day, 50-100 g's of "healthy carbs" per day, and walking 1 hour per day. I've cut carbs to 30-50 per day and with the resistant starch I'm having fewer cravings-I don't need seconds and my nightly "Carb Smart" ice cream requirement has seemed to vanish. I've cut to 2 x 500 mg of metformin as my fasting blood sugar is running about 90 and 1 hour post prandial is about 120, 2 hour back to 90. I'm having a few GI issues, gas, bloating, and diarrhea-but nothing I can't handle. My thinking is that with all the antibiotics I've consumed over my life, and the resultant psoriasis, nail fungus, one bad yeast infection (58 y/o male), my gut is not healthy, and maybe I can slow or even stop diabetes if I get rid of the bad gut bugs and feed and introduce some good ones. I've only been doing the resistant starch and probiotics for one week.
Ronpozoromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #34
billj139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: billj139
Stats: 218/169/160 5'9"
WOE: Primal, Calorie Limited
Start Date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Yes, I can't go too low on carbohydrates or I will go freezing cold (worse than usual), lose sleep, and go moody.

MCT oil + resistant starch is hard on the stomach. I dropped the MCT oil this morning. I'm going to try spreading the time between these.

I did buy organic chicken livers. They are in my freezer. I am not sure about this part and may toss them. I tried stewing a wild-caught king salmon head that was already cleaned. Oh my GOSH I am a wimp, I will not be doing that again. I will eat oysters, I think that might be the extent of where I can go on the "meat" side.

I think I do remember reading that if you get to "level three" you can cut back the 9 cups. I think this means you are eating the liver and such.
I have been on a LC diet for 2.5 months and am down 20 lbs. I have noticed my temperature sensitivity to be diminished. As the weather is getting colder, I am not shivering at all as I would have before. Maybe I am turning into an Inuit eating all the fat.

Another effect I noticed is my energy level is more consistent while working. I don't get exhausted as when eating SAD. I seem to be slightly tired all the time but can work for many hours without getting exhausted.
billj139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #35
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
Hi, I'm interested if any of you are still using the raw potato starch along with your LC plans and how its working out for you. I'm doing a fibre blend- 2 tbsp. inulin+2tbsp Metamucil smooth+1 tsp glucommanan+2 tbsp. acacia gum. I take this along with 6 types of probiotics every day. I've had no heartburn for almost 2 weeks now, still adjusting to some gassiness but livable.

I've been eating some potato salad, reheated beans, reheated brown rice, reheated pasta and wonder how much of these RS3 foods are enough in a day along with my fibre blend?

I'm wanting to get back to my Carbohydrate Addicts Plan with the addition of these elements but can't find any information on how much RS2 and RS3 people should eat to feed the gut flora but not eating enough carbs to gain fat. I have gained about 10 lbs in the last 4 months.

any helpful ideas for me?

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #36
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

I am still using parboiled rice and potato starch.

Did you see the news about Swiss researchers putting coconut oil in rice while cooking to cut the Calories in half??? This has to be a hack for converting starch to resistant starch. I'm making a pot right now to see if it cuts down the starch in my tj sprouted rice. I will know because I made a pot last week and the starch was shooting out the steam hole and it was sticky. Parboiled rice does not do this because it is already converted.

I have found the gas goes away after I am AWOL off my diet eating SAD then restart. It is a great trick but not healthy. Ex vacation and holidays.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #37
Deb34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Stats: 235.3/???/199
WOE: Fung Fasting/Carb Addicts Diet-original
Start Date: started again Apr 2017
is this why my some of my friends brown their uncooked rice in olive oil before they add the water and cook it? I always wondered and they have never been able to explain it other than they were taught to do it that way.

I will have to look that up? So does that mean I can eat less of the starches and hopefully start losing weight again?

"Fasting: the Anti-Diet" - Jason Fung
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:43 AM   #38
Key Tones
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting.

It did slmake less starchy mess. I didn't have to put a towel over the rice cooker to prevent spray. Perhaps people add oil to keep the pot from boiling over.

I'm not super sure yet since I use extra water sometimes. I'll do it again with more water.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #39
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
is this why my some of my friends brown their uncooked rice in olive oil before they add the water and cook it? I always wondered and they have never been able to explain it other than they were taught to do it that way.
I do tht with rice sometimes, but only because it tastes good. Makes it more pilaf-y. It wouldn't work to make it resistant starch because it has to be cooked and cooled for several hours.

I've noticed places selling rice in the frozen foods section. I've seen the brand that sells the vegetables that are steamed right in the bag (blue, can't remember the name) and Trader joes has some too. That would be a quick shortcut, but wouldn't include coconut oil in the cooking process.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #40
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I bought some UCan resistant starch sports-type drink and am going to try it on a long run today.

I usually eat oatmeal and raisins before a long run. Today I am having bacon and eggs and the RS drink. I mixed up a little more super thick to make a gel-like substance I'll use mid-run if I feel llike I need it.

I'll report back later in the interest of science.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #41
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, my results were mixed.

The RS drink was OK, but starchy and not like a regular sports drink. About 2 miles into my run I got a stitch kind of in my back- like the ones you get in your side but more towards my back. I think it may have been caused by the heavier breakfat, I ate eggs and bacon and had them too close to when I started running.

My energy wasn't great. It is hard to say if it was the RS because some runs are just like that. It was consistant beginning to end though- no drop-off.

What was good was how I felt after the run. For a long run (10 miles today) I try to go somewhere interesting. DH comes with me and we go out to eat after. I am usually FAMISHED an hour or so after I am done running and can eat quite a bit, including dessert usually. Today I was hungry, but just a normal hungry. I had a bunless burger (will often get the bun after a long run) and fries. I finished the burger, ate a few fries and was full. That is unheard of for me.

Its now 5 hours later. I did the grocery shopping, showered, piddled around the house and have had no snacks and am not hungry again at all. I am usually hungrier than normal the rest of the day.

I will definately try it again.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #42
jeaniem
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/133.6/127-130 5'1
WOE: lc
I have been using about 1 tbl of potato starch mixed with cold water for about a week now. I am taking it mostly to improve sleep and to help keep me regular while eating very low carb. It has helped in both areas. Has anyone heard anymore about this RS theory pro or con?

Refuse to quit!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #43
Heidinem
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I am still using it twice a week. It does help with digestive issues and I can tell a difference when I forget to take it.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote