Barb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Barb
sleeve: month 5. no weight loss :(

Hello.
new here and very sad/afraid
I am 5 months post op with sleeve
add in pre-op dieting and I have lost 83lbs
But during past month I have NOT lost weight. And I find I am hungry often.
is this normal at 5 months?
I still have to lose another 200+ lbs
It can not stop working now.
I started eating poorly when appetite kicked back in.
going to get up early in morning and run to store to buy no nitrste bacon.
meats have been making me nauseous so thought I would try to get back to low carb with a bacon starter
can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
could really use a sleeve friend right now ♡
Barb
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
TheSouthernPrincess
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 350/200/???
WOE: VSG/Whole 30
Start Date: VSG 10/31/2014
Hi Barb, I had my sleeve a year and a half ago. Congrats on your 83lbs! I know you have more to lose, but that is a great accomplishment! Snacking/grazing is your worst enemy with the sleeve. Since you can't eat a lot at a time, you justify grazing by saying, well it's only a few bites... But the bites add up! Also make sure you are getting enough fluids and don't drink your calories. This stall will pass
Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Barb
Junior LCF Member

Thank Aryn
going to get UP
get DRESSED
go buy bacon
and do this right today
Thanks
Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
LadyV
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyV
Stats: Not where I wanna be, damnit!
WOE: Atkins/SB
I had my sleeve done in October 14 I've lost 70 pounds and need to lose another 20 pounds...really having a hard time with it. I'm hungry all the time. I snake on "baby" carrots, which aren't really babies but I like them SO much better so I spend the extra money for them. Also you can snack on Turkey Pepperoni and cheese...like a little sandwich. For meals, I make sandwiches out of Protein patties, I love the Mushroom and black bean one, with different cheeses as the "bread". I take a couple of chicken strips..I buy a lot at a time and freeze them in separate freezer bags...thaw, I put lemon pepper, garlic, or..some type of marinate...just enough to add flavor.and take your fingers and poke the chicken while it's on the counter...this is going to sorta put in pieces and work the seasonings in...I back in my toaster over on a piece of tin foil sprayed with bakers Secret so it doesn't stick....when crispy...put just a tad of 50% calorie butter on it....yummmm
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Jesse
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jesse
Stats: 293/VSG 284/155/170
WOE: VSG 06/13/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Hello.
new here and very sad/afraid
I am 5 months post op with sleeve
add in pre-op dieting and I have lost 83lbs
But during past month I have NOT lost weight. And I find I am hungry often.
is this normal at 5 months?
I still have to lose another 200+ lbs
It can not stop working now.
I started eating poorly when appetite kicked back in.
going to get up early in morning and run to store to buy no nitrste bacon.
meats have been making me nauseous so thought I would try to get back to low carb with a bacon starter
can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
could really use a sleeve friend right now ♡
Barb
I initially had a lot of struggles with stomach acid, it can mimic hunger and drive you to eat, because it settles down for a bit when you eat. Even now, at almost 4 years since my surgery, if I eat too many carbs it kicks in. I ended up taking two different medications, but overtime I was able to drop one, and half the dosage on the other. Talk with your doctor about starting some if you're not, or increasing your dosage.
Some eating rules that served me well
No drinking while eating and for 30 minutes after
Measure food, what isn't finished after 30 minutes, stop eating anyhow
Wait two hours between meals and snacks. I would set a timer if I needed to.
Eat protein first. Follow the rule of 10, focus on foods that have at least 10 grams of protein per 100 calories.
Use some tracking method.
No soda.
For me, it helped if I had foods that worked with my program, but I also enjoyed, like shrimp or as you pointed out, bacon
And non food, I tried to replace the pleasure of food with non food pleasures: massage, pedicures, a hardcover book instead of waiting for the paperback, nice lotions, and I would buy treats that I could keep using as my sizes changed like a scarf, or socks, or a necklace. I spent hours ignoring food and digging through clearance racks ...

Good luck, your sleeve can still get you to where you want to be.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:57 AM   #6
Barb
Junior LCF Member

Thank you fo the replies. Helps to not feel so alone.
Jesse I think you are right about confusing acid for hunger. I will work on that.
I see my doctors this coming week.
I am taking all advice and tips to heart and I honestly appreciate your replies.
Thank you!!
Barb
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Chrystee
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Chrystee
Stats: 318/170.2/160 VSG 3/18/15
WOE: VSG Surgery/Low Carb
Start Date: March 2015
What are you eating? Are you following the rules? No carbs, no junk, no sugar? What are your protein levels like? Calories? I have had a few stalls, and then it starts back up. Are you exercising?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
karenb
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: karenb
Wow!

Everyone is different! I was able to stop my acid reflux medicine after just a few months and I'd been on it for years!

If I eat too much of anything I'll throw up! I haven't done more than six times in 2 years but did the other day because I was hungry and didn't watch what I was eating. Suddenly I broke out in a sweat and looked down and was shocked with how much chicken salad I'd eaten while watching TV

I too love bacon and will eat it as a snack sometimes. Right now I'm back on Atkins drinks.
karenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Lori37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystee View Post
What are you eating? Are you following the rules? No carbs, no junk, no sugar? What are your protein levels like? Calories? I have had a few stalls, and then it starts back up. Are you exercising?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
cstyles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cstyles
Stats: 309/225/160ish
WOE: Atkins, the "old" one
Start Date: restart 6/1/16
how is it going?

Hi, Barb, I had a band to sleeve revision in December, 2015. I have lost 85 pounds, and have another 65 to go. I haven't lost in months, and sort of took a hard look at what I'm doing this weekend. I am restarting Atkins induction, with the 4 oz protein 6x daily that the surgeon's team recommends. I have pout all sorts of unhealthy foods into my body the last year, and want to get back to losing. I hope that your plan is going well. I, too, could use a buddy!
cstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #11
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: davisdanes
Hello all, I had my sleeve almost three years ago on October 31st. I started at 324lbs and am now 193. I was a slow starter as well, I did all the wrong things initially but finally gave in and ate correctly. I think the main thing to remember is that you can stretch your stomach...no carbonated drinks, figure out what your dump foods are and avoid those. I would not worry about this as long as you are eating correctly, not eating to the point of being overfull and are exercising. If you are drinking protein shakes give them up, you are not teaching yourself anything about eating properly by using shakes, my surgeon demanded that we were off of them after the third month. I am a strict low carber, was before the surgery and am more so now. I also, at almost three years out, though it is not necessary, I find it to be the only way my blood sugar does not drop to dangerous levels and I continue losing. My surgeon was concerned about me in the beginning because though I was losing I was not losing at a rate that he thought was indicative of others who had the same amount of weight to lose. I constantly told him I was perfectly okay with losing slowly, that I wanted to lose slowly. Be good to yourself, this was not an easy fix as many think. With the sleeve you still have to do the work, eat correctly never eat until overfull and exercise. I wish you well, don't stress...do the program and you will indeed see the weight go. Good luck
davisdanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Chrystee

I don't believe your sleeve stretches.. Your stomach just heals. Carbs and sliders just go down so much easier than straight protein.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
Wendy T
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 252.6/170.4/145 5'6" 52 years young
WOE: VSG 6/2/14
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Quote:
I don't believe your sleeve stretches.. Your stomach just heals. Carbs and sliders just go down so much easier than straight protein.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #14
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Not according to my physician...how would you account for people who gain all the weight back within one year of having the surgery? You can stretch this in the same way we stretched our stomachs originally...at least that is what I've been told, and yes, I actually know someone who had the surgery one week after I did and has gained back all her weight and then some...
Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #15
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

I stand corrected. I'm terribly sorry, this is what I just found:

Your sleeve is almost impossible to stretch. It would take a ton of abuse to do this.
You say you are consuming a lot. Can you give an example of what a typical days consumption is?
Do you know your caloric/carb/protein/water intake is?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/166/128. Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8)
Start Date: May 16, 2016
From Obesity Coverage website:

"YOUR STOMACH CAN AND WILL STRETCH AFTER SURGERY
Our stomachs have the amazing ability to stretch and expand as a result of our food intake. The walls of our stomach are made up of folds of tissue called ‘Rugae.’ These are folds in the stomach wall that expand and contract as a direct response to food entering and flowing through you stomach.

WHEN OVEREATING LEADS TO STOMACH STRETCHING
After gastric sleeve surgery it’s important to keep your stomach away from the overeating cycle that can lead to a stretched stomach. If you ate too much on Thanksgiving your stomach will stretch. If you binged one night on KFC, your stomach will stretch. Your stomach is just doing its job. The good news is that it will contract.
However, if after a large meal, your next meal is a large meal and you continue this on a regular basis you risk permanently stretching your stomach.

So stretching your stomach after gastric sleeve surgery is not a myth. It can happen and it does happen. Be aware of it and prevent it. Remember how hard the surgery and recovery was? Remember what a big decision you made? Its never too late to change your habits and get back on the right track."
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:42 AM   #17
davisdanes
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
From Obesity Coverage website:

"YOUR STOMACH CAN AND WILL STRETCH AFTER SURGERY
Our stomachs have the amazing ability to stretch and expand as a result of our food intake. The walls of our stomach are made up of folds of tissue called ‘Rugae.’ These are folds in the stomach wall that expand and contract as a direct response to food entering and flowing through you stomach.

WHEN OVEREATING LEADS TO STOMACH STRETCHING
After gastric sleeve surgery it’s important to keep your stomach away from the overeating cycle that can lead to a stretched stomach. If you ate too much on Thanksgiving your stomach will stretch. If you binged one night on KFC, your stomach will stretch. Your stomach is just doing its job. The good news is that it will contract.
However, if after a large meal, your next meal is a large meal and you continue this on a regular basis you risk permanently stretching your stomach.

So stretching your stomach after gastric sleeve surgery is not a myth. It can happen and it does happen. Be aware of it and prevent it. Remember how hard the surgery and recovery was? Remember what a big decision you made? Its never too late to change your habits and get back on the right track."
Now I'm confused...I will call my surgeon today.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/166/128. Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8)
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Let us know what he says!

Either way I think your deciding to try some longer fasts with your 16/8 plan will very likely change things up for you. . .
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #19
Chrystee

There is a lot of back and forth on stretching. Mine works just fine if I eat properly.. chips, candy, these things go down easily.. look how much chips and things like that dissolve almost to nothing when eating?