Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #781
Linda1960
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/197.6/145
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: Highest wt: 246/ Started Atkins 1/12/2016 @ 202.2
Hi everyone! So.....here's a quick summary of what I am experiencing!

Back in the 1990's, I did Atkins and lost 70 lbs in 7 months! The first 12-15 lbs came off during the first two weeks of induction! Great success!

Fast forward to today.......I am trying Atkins for the first time since the 90's! I started induction 8 days ago and weighed myself after 4 days on induction, and I was down -7.2 lbs.....yay! I was celebrating! I continued with the same routine, but for every day since that 4th day weigh-in....I have gained a pound back each and every day for the last 4 days! UGH! I cannot even imagine why, and I'm so frustrated! My husband is doing it too, and he is down -12 lbs already; whereas I am almost back to the weighin that I started with! TALK ABOUT FEELING FRUSTRATED! At this rate, I will end up heavier than when I started, by the end of my 2-week induction. So I am very worried and concerned!

I wonder if I should put the scale away and just weigh myself once every two weeks or something!?!?! I am just baffled! I plan to stay on the diet for a little longer, and I hope the weight loss resumes once my body settles down......but I have to admit that I am extremely nervous right now at the consistent 4-day weight gain I have experienced!

1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on Atkins, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back (225) when I stopped doing low-carb. Did WW (225 - 209.8)/Started JUDDD 8/18/14 @ 209.8 lbs; restarted JUDDD 9/16/15 @ 201 lbs!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #782
Sunflair
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunflair
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 25 2016/ WLS DS 9/19/07
not hungry?

It is hard for me to fit in 3 meals a day!

I don't even get hungry until 1pm. I had a DS weightloss surgery about 8 years ago so my stomach is small and can't fit a lot into it.

If I eat veggies I seem to get super hungry later and feel like I over-eat. One cup of broccoli and one cup of cauliflower for breakfast and I can't pile enough food in my mouth the whole day it seems.

I have done atkins(kinda) in the past and didn't really have many veggies. I decided to do it the right way this time and this is a startiling development.

Yes, I pour on the butter with the veggies to try to get enough fat to not be hungry.

It seems like it is either feast or famine. After 11 days I have lost 12 lbs but I would like to get some nice rhythm here.
Sunflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #783
niljen
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niljen
I did atkins about 18 yrs ago and lost 30 lbs in 7 wks. I've been back on atkins for about a month now, maybe more. I lost 10 lbs the first couple of wks and that is it. I have been stalled ever since. About 2 wks ago I made myself an avocado, chia, cocoa and stevia pudding and gained 5 lbs overnight. Since then I have eliminated heavy cream, avocado, cream cheese, stevia, caffeine, and no more desserts. I'm at my wits end. For breakfast I usually eat a couple of hard boiled eggs, some sausage, and cheese. For lunch I eat about a cup of veggies and steak. Last night for dinner I ate some smoked fish and veggies. I exercise and walk a lot. Drink my 8 glasses of water. I feel like I've been so good and I still haven't lost those 5 lbs!! what am I doing wrong?
niljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #784
niljen
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niljen
Since I got no reponses for my post yesterday, I went ahead and did some more research and I learned a couple of things. It turns out I have been eating way too much protein. You're supposed to eat only 2 servings of meat the size of the palm of your hand per day. I was eating a lot more than that. I also learned that excess protein consumption turns into GLUCOSE in your body, meaning sugar. That was an eye opener. So instead of nickel and diming my carb consumption, like cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream and blaming that for my stall, I have come to the conclusion that my biggest problem was too much meat consumption. So my idea that this is a low carb, high protein diet is way off. This diet is a low carb, high fat diet. That's why fat bombs are important, drinking bulletproof coffee and tea is important, having tons of coconut oil, olive oil, tallow, butter is the most important thing about this diet. Yes, always low carbs, but you need to have a ton of fat. Also, if you're stalled I learned that sometimes a carb load is in order. I'm not able to discuss it scientifically, you'll have to do your research yourself. The first time I did atkins I would have a cheat day on the weekend. It would take about 2 days to fall back into ketosis and I was losing about 7 lbs a wk back then. Insead of a lot of meat like this time, I was eating a lot more eggs and I was eating a ton of sour cream, heavy cream and cream cheese. So after reading this today, I'm having myself a cheat day. After over a month of feeling stalled I'm going to try replicating what I did last time. I'm giving it a few weeks and if it doesn't work I'm doing the fat fast to get myself going again.

Last edited by niljen; 04-08-2016 at 11:47 AM..
niljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #785
HappyMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyMom
Stats: 207/159/150
Start Date: 2/15/16
niljen - I have experienced the same thing, but not on purpose. Still, every time I go away for a weekend or have a few bad days, once I get back on track I actually lose more quickly. Which is also good to know for those days (like today) when I accidentally ate more carbs than I thought and had an unexpected gain. I'm trying not to get depressed, but just to look ahead to the "whoosh" that will eventually be coming.
HappyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #786
elizedge
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elizedge
Stats: 236/210/185then165
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: 04/20/2016
Where am I missing it?

doing everything right (done lc on and off for 40 years) 16 days in induction, ketoning mod-mid for 12 days, bacon mayo butter, good veggies, even gave up broth the last two days and suffered thru legs cramps as I thought it was keeping water on- with 50-60 pounds to lose, I'm down not even 2?? helppppppppppppppppppppppppp
elizedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #787
Low Carb Addict
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Low Carb Addict
Stats: 326/190/190
Start Date: April 1st 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by niljen View Post
Since I got no reponses for my post yesterday, I went ahead and did some more research and I learned a couple of things. It turns out I have been eating way too much protein. You're supposed to eat only 2 servings of meat the size of the palm of your hand per day. I was eating a lot more than that. I also learned that excess protein consumption turns into GLUCOSE in your body, meaning sugar. That was an eye opener. So instead of nickel and diming my carb consumption, like cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream and blaming that for my stall, I have come to the conclusion that my biggest problem was too much meat consumption. So my idea that this is a low carb, high protein diet is way off. This diet is a low carb, high fat diet. That's why fat bombs are important, drinking bulletproof coffee and tea is important, having tons of coconut oil, olive oil, tallow, butter is the most important thing about this diet. Yes, always low carbs, but you need to have a ton of fat. Also, if you're stalled I learned that sometimes a carb load is in order. I'm not able to discuss it scientifically, you'll have to do your research yourself. The first time I did atkins I would have a cheat day on the weekend. It would take about 2 days to fall back into ketosis and I was losing about 7 lbs a wk back then. Insead of a lot of meat like this time, I was eating a lot more eggs and I was eating a ton of sour cream, heavy cream and cream cheese. So after reading this today, I'm having myself a cheat day. After over a month of feeling stalled I'm going to try replicating what I did last time. I'm giving it a few weeks and if it doesn't work I'm doing the fat fast to get myself going again.
I'm not sure about the too much protein thing. I eat huge amounts of meat and fish and have no issue losing or maintaining. Even Dr.Atkins himself said on tape that we can eat all the meat we want.
Low Carb Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #788
mer3515
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mer3515
Stats: 5' 11 277/230/1st 199 2nd 175
Start Date: May 9, 2016
Big lose and then big gain

HI everyone~

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone. I lost about 2 lbs fri same ssat, lost almost 3 lbs on sun only today to have gained 4 back. I didn't cheat I am well under my 20 carbs. I think I was drinking plenty of water but not 100% sure. Does this happen to anyone else? I was really bummed today when I got on the scale and saw the gain, expecially since i didn't cheat.

Thanks
mer3515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #789
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: 240/182/ <130
WOE: RnY 2-2011. Nothing! Gaining!
Start Date: WLS 2-11-2011.
I've been doing Atkins most of the past 10 years. I get to a weight I feel comfortable (which is still considered obese bmi) and then start eating carbs, gain 20lbs back, rinse and repeat.
So here I am, 10 years later. I'm back to the "comfortable weight" zone, but I am no longer comfortable here. I want to actually reach a normal BMI this time. I started induction exactly one month ago and up until yesterday, I was down 14lbs the first month. Then I stepped on the scale today and somehow i gained 3lbs overnight.

yesterday i ate: 480 cals 40g protein, 13g carbs 4g fiber and 31g fat.

I don't see anything that would have caused me to gain? Also, I have been drinking at least 70-90oz water daily.

This has been happening for 2 weeks. I am stuck in the 170s, between 176 and 179, back and forth for 2 weeks. I never eat over 600 cals or over 20g carbs and also watch my sodium intake and keep that in normal range under 2500mg.

I am wondering, because I have spent the better part of 20 years in the 170s if your body gets used to being a certain weight and wants to remain in stasis somehow?

I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thank you!

(i haven't been on this forum in a long time, I am a regular on another weight loss forum for low cal but there aren't a lot of people knowledgeable about low carbing there so I'm back here to talk to the experts!)
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #790
HappyMom
Senior LCF Member

From looking at it, your calories are WAAAYY too low. Our bodies will go into starvation mode with prolonged deprivation. You might want to check out the JUDDD board for more info on that - that's an entire diet based on alternating extremely-low-calories days like yours with high-calorie days. It can be very effective!!

I know it feels like the less we eat, the most we should lose, but our bodies want to protect us and if they think we're in some kind of famine, they will slow down that metabolism to ridiculous levels.

Atkins is a high-fat, low carb diet. Looking at your percentages, you've got a really high amount of protein. If you do some research, you'll see that too much protein also slows a low-carb diet as our bodies can convert the excess. Search "low carb high fat percentages" and you'll find great info and calculators to help you balance your intake and start losing.

Clearly you are determined and have a lot of willpower! Once you get the mix right, you'll be losing tons of weight.

Susan
Old 08-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #791
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you HappyMom. Yes, I am constantly being told that my calories are too low, but when I try to increase them, even staying induction level carbs, I gain. I will go read JUDD, thank you.

I didn't think my protein was super high. I was told by my doctor to eat at least 50g protein daily, but that's hard to do at 500 cals per day or less so I usually get in 30-40g. My fat and protein intake usually make up 45% each of my daily intake, with carbs the remaining 10%.

(i obsessively log food and read the nutrition reports on ***, as well as weighloss calculators like losertown)

Last edited by cmcd1070; 08-26-2016 at 12:30 PM..
Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #792
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

So, over the past few days I have incorporated a lot of changes. I have increased my calories to 600 then close to 900.
I also noticed that even though I was staying under 500 cals, I was eating higher carbs than my goals, and those GI spikes I think were causing the stall.
I also added Inosotol to help with glucose regulation.
So far this week I lost 5 lbs. Not stalled anymore.
Now, I've lost that before and gained it right back but I think I have it figured out now.
I think I was really underestimating the impact of little cheats of high GI foods.
Now, if I see something tempting, I ask myself if a week of stall is worth it, and it never is.
I am in deep ketosis again and I want to stay there. Even if my breath is DISGUSTING, no matter how often I brush and floss!!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #793
HappyMom
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations!! 5 pounds is a great loss, and stinky breath is totally worth it.

If you want more ongoing support, we have a great group on the Atkins Induction board - it's the August Challenge thread (soon to be September Challenge). There's lots of great advice and support, and it's a really active group.

Hope to see you there!!

Susan
Old 08-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #794
WendyLindy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyLindy
Stats: 173/173/130
Start Date: 08/29/2016
Induction for life

I have been doing atkins for YEARS and over the years added various carbs like nuts, avocados, sometime berries (like one a week) and that is when I always start gaining the weight again. This week I bought the Atkins '72 book because that is the one I lost 120 lbs 18 years ago and kept most of it off for YEARS. now that I am in perimanipause the weight is creeping back so I have started to walk 3.3 miles a day again and cut out artificial sweetners. They seem to make me stall, so does pork rinds, heavy cream and cheese... ooff so basically i eat meat eggs and butter. but i feel great!
WendyLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #795
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

I threw myself out of ketosis with half a grapefruit yesterday. DARN IT!
Back to induction day 1 again. And up 1lb to boot.
I did it to myself. I wanted something sweet but didn't want to eat anything really bad so I thought, grapefruit is only GI 25. There's a reason fruit isn't on the induction list, duh...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #796
HappyMom
Senior LCF Member

I know, it takes time to unlearn some of the old diet rules that I've had for years. Usually half a grapefruit is the ultimate "I'm being good" diet snack, but not on Atkins!!

Oh well, at least you learned something.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #797
WendyLindy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WendyLindy
Stats: 173/173/130
Start Date: 08/29/2016
I can't believe how hard it is to stay in ketosis since I turned 47. I use to be purple after 2 days and I could drink miller light and tons of sweet n low in my tea. Now I can not even have 1 zevia soda and i am knocked right out and I gained 2 inches on my stomach just from having 2 zevia sodas. Is the ethryitol that bad???? I have literally eliminated all carbs and I havent lost a lb. in a week and a half I havent gained either but I am confused..... I have eaten meat, and small amount of cheese and either olive oil or butter help
WendyLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #798
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Wendy! I'm certainly not an expert, but I know some people react differently to different sweeteners. I have been drinking a lot of decaf tea with aspartame and I have been losing. But I can't eat sugar alcohols because it makes my blood sugar spike. Everyone is different though. I stalled for two weeks after getting out of ketosis on vacation mid july, so I had to start over again july 24th when I got home. It sucks, but I have lost 17 lbs since then. I'm ok with that.

SW: 198 lbs
CW: 182
1GW: 163 Overweight BMI
2GW: 136 Normal BMI

5'2 46F ~Cynthia
Old 09-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #799
BJHuff
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BJHuff
Stats: 181/176/140
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: 08/24/16
Day 12 for me

I am on day 12 of induction DANDR, so far down 5 lbs and I am thrilled, in the beginning of 2015 I tried jenny and lost only 3 lbs in the first month,, then I went on Bali through my doctor and only lost 13 lbs in 6 months, It was just a matter of time before I could wrap my head around Atkins, I did Atkins several years ago and lost about 40 lbs, that was back in 2004, here I am 12 years later and it is time to do what needs to be done, with the only plan that works for me, I love this diet and I am very motivated.

Last edited by BJHuff; 09-04-2016 at 07:00 PM..
BJHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #800
BJHuff
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BJHuff
Stats: 181/176/140
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: 08/24/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Addict View Post
I'm not sure about the too much protein thing. I eat huge amounts of meat and fish and have no issue losing or maintaining. Even Dr.Atkins himself said on tape that we can eat all the meat we want.
I believe the newer diet plans from Atkins are different, I stick to the true blue plan DANDR and it has never failed me and I eat as much meat as I want.
BJHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 AM   #801
Jackie
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie
Weight Loss Stalled on Atkins

I am frustrated. I have been following Atkins induction for over a month and my weight loss stalled after losing 8 pounds.
I am sedentary because I have Spina Bifida but I do walk with the aid of a walker. I am 50 too and menopause is coming. I have to admit my IBS is 90% better on Atkins.
Any ideas how I can break this plateau? I do upper body exercises and I am cutting back on dairy. I do drink lots of water and have a diet soda once in awhile.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #802
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
hi, Jackie! . Don't give up... Your body is just readjusting after that 8 pound loss. You might want to join the February challenge here on the Atkins Induction page - it's a very active and encouraging group. You could ask questions, post menus and get some guidance for breaking stalls.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #803
KrissyDee
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KrissyDee
-20 carbs- no ketosis- no weight loss

Hi all, I am happy to have found you. I know you are having the same problems as me in some ways, and in each way we are different too.

I started the induction diet in early February, and nothing happened for me at 30-50 carbs. So I got an online tracker and quickly realized how many LITTLE BITTY CARBS there are in foods that add up QUICKLY. I mean, a clove of garlic 3 carbs???? Sheesh...

SO since then I have been fanatically tracking EVERY carb I put in my mouth. I am in the second day of my third week. The first week I was so constipated I looked preggers (sorry), and when that relieved itself I was like ONE pound lighter. (guess I was full of you-know-what)

So for two weeks I have had UNDER 20 carbs and am hanging in around 14-1500 calories. I have ketosis strips- NO ketosis. Ever. I have a strange taste in my mouth but not metallic as reported. My belly feels less bloated but really my clothes dont feel much different. I drink water all day. I am a dance teacher and do about 10-12 hours of dance plus I walk my dog and do yoga.

NOT a pound lost. Here is what I eat:

2 eggs fried in butter & 3 strips of bacon, black coffee

tuna in mayo or egg salad in mayo or sliced roast beef & cheese wrapped in 3 romaine leaves and iced tea unsweetened

steak or chicken or burger or seafood for dinner uncoated and a small side of asparagus or sauteed mushrooms or a ceasar salad. never more than one veggie

snacks are cheese or deviled eggs no celery. I also have 1-2 glasses of red wine in the evenings most nights, Frontera Cabernet 3 carbs per 8 oz glass.

Any advice???
KrissyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #804
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Krissy - there is a really supportive group down in the February challenge thread. You're doing good food-wise, and you don't say how much you have to lose, but it does get harder as you get close to goal and the wine might be the problem. Run your menus and questions by the group in the challenge thread!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:27 AM   #805
KrissyDee
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KrissyDee
Thanks!!
KrissyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #806
HeidiHeyho
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeidiHeyho
Stats: 225/225/152
Start Date: January 2017
Krissy,
If it were me, Id drop the wine, especially if its a daily routine. Theres just about 4 carbs in 5oz, so 16 oz (2 8oz glasses) has to be whats throwing you off thats almost 14 carbs. I love wine but gave it up for now to stay in ketosis. I also really noticed I barely stay in ketosis at 30 carbs -so I just stick to atkins 20 the original plan. I dont weigh myself - i know I have a long road and I think it will only discourage me - but use ketosis strips so I cant fool myself. Im no guru of course, but I suggest trying that? Good luck lady!!!
HeidiHeyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #807
enemysugar
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/173/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Try Atkins 72 It works for me. I eat one 2 cup salad per day if I try to add more carbs I don't loose.
enemysugar is online now   Reply With Quote