Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
barrycudda
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barrycudda
Carb Intolerance vs Gluten Sensitivity?

I have not tested positive for celiac, but since I have eliminated gluten in the last three months, I do feel better. My main symptoms were indigestion, sore joints, tiredness, slow metabolism, and mental fog.
Even after going gluten free, I was still unable to lose weight on a low calorie diet with exercise. A month ago I started reducing my carbs to 30 grams a day, and I am finally seeing some weight loss. I am also feeling even better, generally speaking. Now I am confused. Did I really have carbohydrate sensitivity and not gluten sensitivity? I guess I could reintroduce gluten to find out, but I am hesitant to do so. So, I will stay 'Low Carb-No Gluten'! Anybody else going through this?
barrycudda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I am right there with you. I had horrible migraines 3-4 times a week. I haven't had any since going gf/lc. I am too scared to try wheat for fear of the migraines coming back. Kinda stinks because I do miss LC bread - but not as much as I enjoy being migraine free.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I bet you are gluten intolerant and insulin resistant. Ditching the gluten stopped the gluten symptoms, but your insulin was still flowing. Ditching the rest of the carbs let your insulin and more inflammation go down, and you lost weight.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

Gina - that totally makes sense. I know I have IR along with PCOS and the slew of things that go with that. Its funny to me how I used to have such a sweet tooth and loved all things bread and cakey. Now I will walk right by that stuff no problem in favor of a crunchy salty type snack. I really believe it is a combo of gf/lc. Just going GF did make a difference in symptoms, but only when I started watching carbs did my weight seem to budge.

I love this board because of all the information you can find out and mostly because people have been where I am and can help each other out!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
barrycudda
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barrycudda
Thanks GME and Wendalina. I don't have diabetes, although it does run in my family, but I do have the symptoms of 'metabolic syndrome'. I guess its quite possible to be gluten sensitive AND insulin resistant. I recently found out by connecting with family on Facebook that celiac disease runs in my family too. But, things could be a LOT worse healthwise, and with all the other good things in my life, I am still fortunate. Good looking too. ;-)
barrycudda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrycudda View Post
But, things could be a LOT worse healthwise, and with all the other good things in my life, I am still fortunate. Good looking too. ;-)
You forgot modest and humble
Old 09-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
lissa73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lissa73
WOE: Atkins/GF
I have been gluten free for almost 2 years now. I was having horrible migraines and some gut issues. I had to have a colonoscopy a few years back but at the time knew nothing of gluten sensitivity or celiac . The Dr. found lesions and biopsied them and came back positive for the possibility of Crohn's . With that I decided to try gluten free to see if some of my gut issues subsided. What happened was I stopped getting migraines . I have gone back to gluten a few times and the migraines always come back. I refuse to go back to gluten just to get a diagnosis from a Dr.

I am just starting Induction (yesterday) so it's nice to see some other people who are also gluten free and low carb.
lissa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
NewLowCarber
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewLowCarber
I began having classic migraines (with auras, etc.) when I was very young, but only during the school year. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realized they were being triggered by wheat. So I stopped eating wheat.

However, I'm not celiac, nor am I gluten sensitive. It was baffling to me what it was about wheat that was triggering the migraines. That is, until this summer ...

This summer, our pollen levels were through the roof, and I began breaking into hives whenever I got near grass. I've known for years I'm allergic to a number of different grasses, and if I even touch certain grasses during the summer, I'll get welts.

One afternoon, while whining about the hives on all my exposed skin, a lightbulb went off---I might not be celiac, I might not have gluten sensitivity ... but I am allergic to grasses. And wheat is a grass. A grass that produces a grain.

Just something kind of interesting to add to the discussion.
NewLowCarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
NewLowCarber
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewLowCarber
Btw, I can eat *some* wheat, just not very much at all---sort of like I can go outside and have no bad effects from grasses, but if I start trying to weed during certain times of the year, I'm down with hives within minutes.
NewLowCarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Roo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Roo
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 9/7/2015
Does anyone know, is there a difference between gluten intolerance and wheat allergy?
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #11
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

great question....
*bump*
Old 10-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #12
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
If you read Dr. William Davis' book Wheat Belly he explains how bad the wheat of today is and how our bodies cannot digest the protein in it causing multiple diseases.

You may be able to eat gluten (like me) in other foods, but wheat is of the debil.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #13
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
I really don't worry about diagnoses. They are often incorrect anyway.

Wheat contains gluten but some other grains (not all) do, too. An allergy is different & those with allergies have extreme reactions. Most of us have food sensitivities - more subtle side effects.

Personally, I avoid all grains. My research says the human body has not evolved to properly digest grains. Different people have different levels of tolerance but none of us, even those who notice no problems, are capable of completely digesting grains.

Time after time You’re my refuge; You heal every scar, You’re guarding my heart.
Your promise, the hope that I cling to; My rescue, my friend, You come rushing in.
You surround me on every side; Your love is my armor, I fear no evil.
Darkness runs from Your light So I won’t be afraid.
You’re going before me and oceans are parting; You’re fighting my battles
When my feet are failing and my heart is shaking You’re fighting my battles.
~ The Afters - Battles
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Jewels
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
If you read Dr. William Davis' book Wheat Belly he explains how bad the wheat of today is and how our bodies cannot digest the protein in it causing multiple diseases.

You may be able to eat gluten (like me) in other foods, but wheat is of the debil.
Hi Carolyn...blast from the past. Like what? 20 years or more.

Anyway, my Dr. now thinks I have IBS and wants me on gluten free for a month to see if it makes a difference. So here I am again looking for support.
Julie
Old 10-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #15
Shantony
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 258/252/135 (5' 2")
WOE: lchf/keto
Start Date: October 5, 2016
Hi is anyone still around?

My Journal: Shantony's Journal to Wholeness

My Blog: Lowcarbology

Mini Goal
Clean up my eating for the rest of October 2016
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

Hey Shay!!! I am still here. Trying to figure it out a little bit more each day. How are you doing?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
Shantony
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 258/252/135 (5' 2")
WOE: lchf/keto
Start Date: October 5, 2016
I am doing well. This post made me connect two of my greatest challenges. I am gluten sensitive and carb sensitive. I can stay away from gluten but cannot eat a bowl of oatmeal, grits, potatoes or anything with too many carbs even complex. I get tired and sluggish, lose concentration and just feel off. I was tested for diabetes and I do not have that. Its just one of those things when you know your body and are conscious of how your body reacts after you eat certain things. So when i wanted high carb foods, I would eat them at night so i could sleep. lol but that's not good to sleep on so. I am back to a low carb way of eating.

My Journal: Shantony's Journal to Wholeness

My Blog: Lowcarbology

Mini Goal
Clean up my eating for the rest of October 2016
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #18
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

This way of eating definitely demands creativity for sure. One of my triplets has gone gluten free and the effect has been sooooo dramatic. Her level of concentration and ability to focus and retain has been incredibly improved. However, packing a gf lunch every day has proved to be interesting. Most gf "replacement foods" have a ton of carbs and sugar. Now that she has kinda transitioned we are going to whittle down the amount of sugar.

Have you found any favorite recipes you wanna share
Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #19
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

hey everybody just checking to see if anyone has come across some good recipes to help us through the holidays????