Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
absorbing fats

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker, reader, but seldom post. I had my WLS (bypass) close to 30 yrs ago and have no side effects with food save one. I still can not eat much fat, it goes right through me. How can a person NOT absorb fat when you have to have fat to live? It is an essential, as protein is, but I guess I'm not understanding how you can have some fat (as in bacon, other fatty meats) but if I try bullet proof coffee it goes right through me. Any doctor I've ever questioned about this doesn't have an answer. Not surprising since most don't have the knowledge about nutrition they should have. I feel that high fat, moderate protein would be right for me but can't seem to accomplish this.
Any insight or knowledge you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Last edited by lindaokc; 05-09-2016 at 02:36 AM..
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 AM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I haven't had WLS, but how can a high fat diet be 'right' for you if you aren't digesting fat properly? IMO, what's 'right' for our bodies is what works to keep us healthy.

Personally, years ago, I had gastro problems that made a low fat diet essential, but I react negatively to carbs, so I ate low carb AND low fat with no problems at all because that's what my body needed at that time. As my gastro suggested, that WOE healed the issues, and I was able to add more fat slowly.

However, there is enough fat in the foods we eat without being concerned about 'adding' fat. That is, there's no nutritional problem with just eating what we can tolerate in terms of fat.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 186/150/125-130
WOE: 310/1550 Keto
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014
I don't think we " need" much fat. A lot of us do high fat low carb to satiate us while keeping insulin down while losing weight and maintaining. If you can't you can't.
Can you tolerate avocados? Or hamburger with some fat?

Depending on your surgery and how you healed might be where your problem stemed from or it could just be your digestive system. My mom gets horrible IBS from fats. I could live on cream cheese! Unfortunately I'd want the bagel as well.

Like Leo stated we have to do what is right for our bodies. As individuals we don't fit into nice dieting molds.

Depending on how much and how often you can eat would be what you should make you weight loss plan around. Whole foods and nutritious choices, would be my opinion.
But I follow IF sometimes low carb sometimes not.

No matter what you decide this is a very supportive group of people. You have done well over the last 30 years. Just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find a group that'll help you along.
This time is forever Thanks to JUDDD!!!!(and Fung)and low carb friends!
1st mini goal 134.9 Done!
2nd major goal 124.9. 10/25
3rd ultimate and final goal 120ish 11/18
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
lindaokc
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/153/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Continual restarting :)
Sorry it's been so long. I appreciate both responses.

Leo, the reason I'd like to try the high fat is because some sites are showing lower protein (adequate), higher fat to be the optimal diet. I can't have higher carbs, so thinking that higher fat would help satiate me if I lower protein.

You know, Leanne, I can tolerate without any problem, avocados, fattier cuts of meat, lots of nuts, etc. that have a higher fat content. The only problem is when I make "bullet proof" coffee, or eat fat alone without other nutrients. I wasn't able to do that (eat food with fats) for a few years after the surgery, but I have been able to tolerate quite well for decades now. Thanks for making me realize that. So all I have to do is choose higher fat whole foods, lower the protein level and forget the extra fat I wanted to incorporate.

Thanks guys

Last edited by lindaokc; 06-04-2016 at 05:20 AM..
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Linda-
I know that the 'high fat' diet is what's currently touted, but it's important not to generalize. It works for some people and not for others. Even Dr. Phinney has pointed out that if a person isn't losing, lowering fat is what that person should do.

There are many scientific studies that show that adequate (not high) protein is best for weight loss. My own protein requirement is a minimum of 65g, and if I keep within my calorie limits (important at my age), i can barely get to that level. Eating the fat that comes with my food gives me at least 65% fat--and that's more than enough.

Adequate protein is important because it's not only essential for our bodies (muscles, bones, etc.), but it's the only nutrient that the body cannot manufacture to meet its needs. It must come from our food. So be careful not to lower your protein too much.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Maryposa

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I know this was posted a while ago but I just saw it. If by bullet proof coffee you mean coconut oil in coffee, coconut oil and coffee are both known to cause the issue you're describing.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: 240/182/ <130
WOE: RnY 2-2011. Nothing! Gaining!
Start Date: WLS 2-11-2011.
Since WLS 5 years ago I too get dumping syndrome with all high fat foods like rib eyes, regular ice cream (fat and sugar together is a recipe for disaster for me), oil, fat bombs, etc. 5 years out, all my blood test for things like triglycerides, etc all come back normal where as before WLS they were very high. Did you also find this to be true?

For me the trade off was a win. I stick to lower fat protein sources like fish and chicken mostly. I find it very heavy and filling and I don't really miss the fat.

SW: 198 lbs
CW: 182
1GW: 163 Overweight BMI
2GW: 136 Normal BMI

5'2 46F ~Cynthia
cmcd1070 is online now   Reply With Quote