Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Osteopenia, Osteopororis and Strontium

I've been taking Strontium Citrate for several years on the advice of my doctor, and based on my DEXA scans my bone density has increased so I no longer have osteopenia in my spine and right hip, but I still have osteopenia in my left hip, but it hasn't gotten worse. The manufacturer that makes the Strontium I've been taking just discontinued the product and replaced it with another bone supplement derived from olive leaves. When I emailed them as to why they discontinued their Strontium, their response was that studies on a different form of Strontium called Ranelate, (the supplements I take are Strontium Citrate), showed some undesired potentially serious side effects (the studies were done with prescription strength Strontium Ranelate, available outside the U.S.). I've also read that Strontium can show an artificial increase in Bone Density results, but I'm not sure if that pertains to the OTC Citrate supplements or to the prescription Ranelate form. I'm going back and forth between continuing the Strontium from another manufacturer, or to switch to the new supplement made from Olive leaves. Does anyone know anything about this topic? I need to make up my mind.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ronnie-
I started taking Strontium when you recommended it a while back, but I was lax because of the difficulty managing supplements 'around' my thyroid Rx, which I take 4x a day. Then I read that the increases on bone density from the strontium were 'artificial' (i.e., showed on scans but did not really improve bone density). So I stopped trying to take it.

My scans don't show any osteoporosis, and the amount of osteopenia is, according to my endo, normal for my age and not worrisome.

I'm due for another set of scans soon.

Sorry I can't be more helpful to you in your decision because your information is always so helpful to me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

You've been very helpful, Leo, before and now in telling me that you've also read that the increase seen on DEXA scans are artificial. I have an appointment with my GP the end of January (the doctor who recommended Strontium), and I'll ask his opinion. I believe that when he first recommended it to me years ago, it was not known about the artificial results. Do you know if the artificial DEXA increases in bone density were from the supplement in citrate form or from the prescription ranelate form? If my good results are not real, it certainly makes no sense for me to continue taking it. I thank you for responding.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ronnie-
I read that a while ago and don't recall which form was referred to. At the time, I think I didn't know that there were two different versions, and I reacted to their mention of strontium itself.

Definitely speak to the doctor; that's what I always do when I'm in doubt.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I've been taking the strontium citrate for about 2.5 years now - long enough to have a follow-up bone density scan after being on the strontium for 2 years. The scan did show a good increase in bone density, and my doctor, who had also looked at the effects of the strontium citrate, was very pleased to see my results and encouraged me to keep taking it.

I was probably taking the same one, Doctor's Best? I was sad when they DC'd it but now I'm taking a different brand of Strontium Citrate, so we'll see what my next scan says.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I've been taking the strontium citrate for about 2.5 years now - long enough to have a follow-up bone density scan after being on the strontium for 2 years. The scan did show a good increase in bone density, and my doctor, who had also looked at the effects of the strontium citrate, was very pleased to see my results and encouraged me to keep taking it.

I was probably taking the same one, Doctor's Best? I was sad when they DC'd it but now I'm taking a different brand of Strontium Citrate, so we'll see what my next scan says.
I've had the same results, Charski, and I've been very pleased. Yes, I was also taking Doctor's Best. I'm just concerned that I've read some articles that claim that the increase in bone density from Strontium as seen on DEXA scans is artificial and that actual bone density is lower, sometimes significantly. I will be discussing this with my doctor as he recommended Strontium to me several years ago.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/100-108
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
For the time being, Strontium is still available in the UK's NHS.

It's true that the bone density increase is artificially inflated by a technical artifact due to the replacement of some calcium with strontium. However, there are relevant mathematical formulae that can adjust the DXA bone density measurements to derive a more appropriate evaluation. In general, the related error in DXA measurement is estimated at 10% above true bone density.

Is it not practical for your PCP to locate a DXA facility that is knowledgeable about necessary adjustments to calculate your bone density measurement in the presence of strontium?
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
For the time being, Strontium is still available in the UK's NHS.

It's true that the bone density increase is artificially inflated by a technical artifact due to the replacement of some calcium with strontium. However, there are relevant mathematical formulae that can adjust the DXA bone density measurements to derive a more appropriate evaluation. In general, the related error in DXA measurement is estimated at 10% above true bone density.

Is it not practical for your PCP to locate a DXA facility that is knowledgeable about necessary adjustments to calculate your bone density measurement in the presence of strontium?
Strontium Citrate is still readily available here in the US, but the particular product I was using was discontinued by the manufacturer and replaced with a new product called "Bonolive" which is derived from olive leaves. May I ask, are you talking about the prescription form of Strontium which is Ranelate? Because we don't have that here in the US, but we do have supplements in the form of Strontium Citrate which is available over the counter without a prescription. I don't know whether I'll continue Strontium or try the Bonolive. As far as your question about my doctor locating a DXA facility that adjusts in the presence of strontium, I really have no idea. But I would venture to say that my doctor isn't even aware of the artificial increase in bone density results due to Strontium. If I switch to Bonolive, I'm just concerned that my future DEXA scans may show my true bone density which may not be concerning in itself, however, they may appear as a significant drop in bone density due to the artificial elevated readings I have been getting with the Strontium.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/100-108
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Yes, it's Ranelate (amongst others) but any strontium salt would produce the same artificial boost to BMD - a little ironically, it's indicative that active bone remodelling is happening but it may well be that the calculation of this is so murky that DXA scanning can only confirm treatment compliance (or that someone is taking OTC strontium).

tbh, yes, if you don't have scanning facilities that allow for this then your results might appear to worsen altho' I'd hope that your PCP can account for this in any interpretation.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote