Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #361
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Nigel, how 'bout a weekend in the city? Take in some theater, museum or other sites. Eat at nice restaurants.

Something along those lines.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #362
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That a good idea too. It's just that we can't leave our dog home alone for too long.
But we could go for a nice dinner and comedy theater or something.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #363
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday, I went to San Antonio; we both had to get our teeth cleaned and that is where our dentists are.

I found a cool store, about as expensive as whole foods, but an awesome store.

I had heard about this store over the years and finally decided to find out where it was at and go there. Its called HEB Central Market. Unfortunately, they only have one in SA and it was in an odd place, but we got there.

My wife got some artisan breads that they make and slice right there. I loved the electric bread slicing machine...zip-- and the loaf of bread is sliced. Way cool.

I found some Quorn products which I can't find anywhere else. I got the faux chicken patties and the tenders. I found some tofu egg rolls that I got too. They were frozen but its a good size box for about $6 something.

We were just having fun shopping in that store and buying stuff we don't normally buy. I got some protein water. How weird does that sound? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm all about protein.

I got a carton of vegan eggs. Well, they are a powdered egg that comes in a tiny egg carton. I have read lots of good reviews about them and I watched a video of a couple trying them for the first time. I figured what the heck, maybe I will even like them.

I found some purple ninja radishes. They looked too cool not to buy. I got 2 delicata squash since I haven't seen any locally yet. I got some heirloom tomatoes.

My wife got some mystery coffee just for fun and some types of crackers.
We went there for brick cheese and aged cheeses for our annual cheese party. Very disappointing in the cheese dept. They only had brick cheese spread, so I reckon I will just have to order some. She got a couple of aged cheddars, but that was about it.

It was a fun trip overall, even though it was a very long day for us. We crashed out at 9pm last night. We didn't get home until about 7pm. We may have to shop at that store again pretty soon, just for neat stuff to try.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #364
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

There used to be a big Central Market in Austin...also in WA on the Kitsap Penninsula. The had a lot of good stuff and amazing prepared food.
Not strictly natural foods like Whole Foods. I could live with a Central Market, though.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #365
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: lower carb, veggies
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I love Central Market. My ds attended Trinity University in SA. He worked at CM for several years. I love their bread selection! LOL

Even tho they are $$$, it's just fun going there. I guess because I don't go often.

Love all the beautiful produce they have.

How are the vegan eggs? That just sounds wrong.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #366
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I have come across a number of people that like those vegan eggs.

I just use chickpea flour.

I don't like the taste of eggs so I will probably never try them.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #367
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
I love Central Market. My ds attended Trinity University in SA. He worked at CM for several years. I love their bread selection! LOL

Even tho they are $$$, it's just fun going there. I guess because I don't go often.

Love all the beautiful produce they have.

How are the vegan eggs? That just sounds wrong.
The package looks like this. I haven't tried them yet and probably won't get to until next weekend. This weekend I'm installing a new cooktop and oven so I won't be cooking for a bit. Yeah, it does sound strange.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #368
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

They were on Amazon a few weeks ago for $1 and people were snapping them up. I saw someone had ordered 30.

What are the ingredients? I suppose I could just look up the product info.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #369
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't even think of looking at the ingredients. I generally do but I just got excited about finding them and forgot.

Ingredients: Whole algal flour, whole algal protein, modified cellulose, cellulose, gellan gum, calcium lactate (plant source), carrageenan, nutritional yeast, black salt

I watched a video on them and it said that black salt gives them the eggy flavor. I don't especially care for eggy flavor, but we will see.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #370
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, that's why I never got into black salt. I can eat chickpea flour omelets and such but if it tastes like egg, I'll gag.

I'll be interested in your review.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #371
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know about you guys, but its 32 degrees at 10am in south Texas.
BRRRHHH!!
Tonight, it's going to be 27.

Very strange weather for us, even though it is winter.
We are supposed to have a lovely sunny day on Christmas.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #372
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Our temps at night are 'bout that for a couple days and then in the 30's. Days are about 50 and very sunny.

We had two days of heavy rain and flooding....I think the CA drought might be coming to and end so this is a good thing. Problem is, I hate it.
Too many years in PNW.

We're supposed to see 60 mid week and I'm hoping for a dry Christmas even though we have no plans.

Speaking of; I finally bought a TJ's Turkeyless roast. Around Thanksgiving they sold out the minute they were put out.
I bought the last one today. I hear good things and I'm looking forward to some processed food!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #373
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will await your review, jem.

I am a typical Texan.
I complain about the heat and then I complain about the cold.
I always say its our unalienable right to complain, esp. about the weather. ha!

I had a working weekend and I can honestly say it was productive.
I have a 2 year plan to finish remodeling this place.

I got the new stove top and the new oven in and they both work great.
Actually, I did that last weekend.

This weekend I replaced the kitchen floor and did some remodeling with some drawers and the bread box and stuff like that. So the kitchen is nearly done...that is until I add onto the kitchen next year.
Oh, and I still need to build the spice rack. I got the wood for it on Saturday before I came home.

I rearranged the stuff in my outdoor kitchen which is still a work in progress and then I had to clean up and organize all my tools which were all over the back porch and its a big porch.
I did some electrical work and some outside wall work, which still needs to be finished, but I planned kitchen work for Sunday, so I had to leave it.

Thank goodness for leftovers, cheese, and frozen dinners or we would have done without this weekend. I did take my wife out to breakfast/brunch on Saturday after work. I have a half work day most Saturdays and every 3rd Saturday I get it off, unless I just take off for some reason.

My wife helped me a lot which I appreciated. I generally just work by myself.
But I did a lot, so I guess my energy level has finally come back up. I made a whack of V8 juice Saturday night, so I had 3 days worth. I put lots of fresh beets in it so it was very purple but tasty. I found out that if I peel the beets, they are much less harsh in the juices.

And what did you all do this weekend?
Are you all ready for Christmas?

I have done all my shopping, wrapped it all, and did what I thought was all the grocery shopping, but now we have a Christmas party at work so I have to bring some stuff, so I'll be braving the crowds tomorrow evening and then I can relax. I get 3 days off for Christmas and I've been informed that I don't have to do any work around the house. Yipee!! But ya know, I will probably get antsy and do some stuff anyway, depending on the weather.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #374
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, we drove to SA to go to the central market yesterday afternoon.
I got off work early and my wife wanted some more bread.

The place has bread samples all over the bread section.
Of course I had to try them all. They had black Russian bread..yum, I even liked the pumpernickel. I was probably hungry. And of course it was my perfect opportunity to eat real bread.
They had pumpkin bread too, which was different than I thought it would be. I don't really care for pumpkin but the bread was okay.
We got a loaf of walnut cranberry...and boy is it good. It didn't look like much but the sample was delicious. It's a small loaf, so I think I can manage to keep my paws off of it after I snag a couple of slices.

The store wasn't as much fun as the first time, but it was awfully crowded and I didn't especially care to go. I don't like feeling like a sardine in a store and people can't drive their carts. One old man rammed right into me and I was trying to avoid that happening and he just kept pushing my cart like he didn't even see me. GRRHHH!! I kept my cool cuz he was old and maybe he couldn't see....whatever.

So we got a few other cheeses this time and the breads and I forgot to go to the produce aisle. Truthfully, I just wanted to get out of there. I had intended to get some more heirloom tomatoes and some of those big apples, but I didn't want to fight the crowd anymore.

We can go again next year when its not holiday time.

Tonight we are going to drive around the next bigger town over from us and look at lights. We haven't done that in years.

I get 3 days off, so I'm a happy camper.

What is everyone else up to, besides wrapping presents?
Old 12-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #375
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Looking at lights is always fun.

It's raining cats and dogs here but only for today so I'll live. We went to the park and walked in our rain gear but still had to cut it short due to wind and downpour....still got a couple miles in.

Stopped at Safeway for some turkey thighs for the hub then at TJ's for just a few items. Both places mobbed but Safeway has a couple self checkout lanes that, for some reason, people don't use much and TJ's is always easy no matter how many shoppers.

So it looks like I'm cooking some Christmas stuff. Already made the cranberry sauce, will dry the bread cubes later and then do a green bean with mushroom sauce on the big day. Gravy is in the freezer leftover from T day. Oh and sweet potato soufflé which is for me and I doubt the hub will eat any.
Everything is pretty easy.

We really don't celebrate other than buying our dog stuff and dressing her up for pictures. I don't know if we'd even notice the holiday if it weren't for the dog.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #376
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Happy New Year! Any resolutions? I really don't have any so will continue to make every year better than the last.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #377
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I finally picked up some vital wheat gluten and plan on making seitan. I'm looking at The Buddhist Chef recipe that included chick pea flour and I will NOT wrap it in film (that can't be good) but will try using pan-in-pot Instant Pot method....OR maybe I'll just cook it in the broth in the IP.
One way is firmer, so.....
Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #378
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope the seitan turns out good.

I have only tried that once and it was from a store and called roast beef seitan, but it tasted terrible. I haven't bought any more. I am sure homemade would be so much better.

I didn't have much luck with tempeh either. I think I will try it again as there is some in the freezer. It was just tasteless to me and I spiced it up a lot, I thought.

I'm going to peruse the freezer for tonight's dinner...hopefully something easy. I don't like cooking on Friday nights much or on Sundays, unless its a crockpot thing. The rest of the time, I don't mind. Sometimes I end up having a powerseed bread and cheese sandwich cuz I'm too tired to cook.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #379
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I used to love cooking but not anymore. It's the figuring out what to cook more than anything.....not for me since I'd be happy with a sandwich or bowl of soup but the hub, requires more.

I have started getting prepared meat from TJ's for him. Last night I popped some tempura shrimp in the air fryer and he loved them. Whew!

Tonight it's sandwiches of the last pita loaves and 'shrooms for me and the TJ's gyro meat for him.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #380
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am the opposite and probably because I grew up cooking with meat.
It's so easy for me to make meals for the wife...and I like making them. Too bad I don't like eating them.

She will eat most of the same veggies as me, so that helps.

I do have a hard time trying to figure out what I want to eat and I have gotten so many bad recipes that sounded so good, that its rare I try a new one.

I get tired of eating assorted faux burger patties too. They are my go to when I can't think of anything to eat.
I don't think I have any craveable foods.

I used to like this vegetarian burger from Sysco foods that I ordered from a restaurant, I think I got about 20 patties, but when I ran out of them, the restaurant no longer ordered those. Sysco foods requires a $500 minimum order. They don't have anything I want except the veggie burgers.

The foods I always crave are the high carb ones, of course. I make my low carb versions, but they just aren't as good. It might be a mental thing, I dunno.

I was ditching expired foods yesterday and I found some low carb pasta that I need to try. So I figured I could make some mac 'n cheese. I haven't had that in forever. My wife loves Stouffer's or Marie Callendar's, but they are way too high in carbs for me.

I get bored of the same foods easily. I think I eat more egg beaters than anything besides cheese. I definitely could use more variety.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #381
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found some breads, thin sliced 21 grain for 9 carbs per slice.

I snagged the bread guy while he was stocking and asked him about the Dave's thin sliced powerseed and he said he only had limited space so he can only stock what they request at Sprouts and just so many of them.

I found 2 thin sliced ones at Whole Foods cuz I went there first...I got the 21 grain and another one. I will get the name of it later as I put them in the fridge, but I think it was 10 carbs per slice, so not a real bargain for the small slices.

They didn't have Alvarado bread at Sprouts, but they could have been out. I say that cuz it was on sale on their sale book ads.

Then I went to the 99cent store last and I found Eureka breads, so I got 3 different kinds of them and they are a bit smaller and either 9 or 10 carbs each...I will have to check them but for a buck, I figured what the heck. I pay nearly $6 normally for lower carb bread.

So I had a sandwich on the 21 grain bread last night and I am so used to the big Powerseed bread (very seedy and thick) that I felt ripped off. I generally pile it up big on the powerseed, but you can't do that with the little 21 grain type. It tasted fine, but powerseed is the bomb. And a sandwich out of the powerseed does fill me up, not the little sandwich I had last night. I had to be a midnight snacker cuz I couldn't sleep. I can never sleep when I'm hungry.

For me, the 3 more carbs in the powerseed make it worth it. The smaller thin sliced breads would be great for grilled cheese though or toast. I usually eat the low carb bread company thin sliced for toast since it only has 0-2 carbs per slice. ( I can't recall the amount but it is very low).

The Eureka brand has some "seeds the day" bread which I didn't find, but it is a bit higher in carbs. It seems that they have the bigger slices and the smaller ones on their website. I will do reviews on them once I try them.

Last edited by Nigel; 01-15-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #382
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I bought a 1# bag of Truvia Brown Sugar Blend at the Grocery Outlet for 3.99. Since I use erythritol and stevia anyway and just add a little molasses, I figured WTH.

I looked it up online a discovered that that's just about 1/3 of what it usually cost....so I better go back and get another bag.

I have a bag and full bag of swerve that I forgot about. Erythritol is a better deal and dissolves better.
I need to use it in something...maybe something I blend up in the NutriBullet.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #383
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
doesn't that blend actually contain sugar?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #384
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

O, thanks for that.
In the store, hubs read the ingredients and said no but he was having trouble pronouncing erythritol.
I should've taken his glasses and read it!

Dammit!

I haven't had sugar in the house in decades.

Really mixing my own brown sugar is not a big deal so I'll just continue.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #385
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I've been off of caffeine for a while but have continued to miss coffee. I have an occasional decaf latte at Starbucks but have started the day with Teechino (sp).

I decided to get some ground dark roast decaf and had a mug with soy creamer on two mornings.

Sadly my stomach has been terrible for those two days and I can only attribute it to the coffee.
It seems that real milk is enough of a buffer....I can't do it in the morning, though.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #386
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

It's official. I am not a fan of jackfruit.
I've had some really good preparations in a restaurant in San Jose but at home, I can't make it work.

I'll stick to soy curls and Portobello shrooms and maybe try some carrot stuff.

I've make some pretty good baked items and really enjoy this chick pea chocolate chip cookie recipe. I chopped up a bar of 80% and it is just yum.
I have a few other recipes to bake up soon, on a rainy day.
I'm having a surgical procedure on March 3 and want to get some things into the freezer that I can just grab and eat.