Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #31
shelley
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I have taken Cynomel (Mexico) which is no longer available as it was much more inexpensive than Cytomel. Unfortunately the company no longer produces it. I also don't do well with generics, but did fine with Cytomel and Cynomel. I think it has to do with what fillers they use.

I have a friend that cannot tolerate even 2.5 mcg of Cytomel without heart palpitations, so she only takes Synthroid. She told me it took nearly 2 years for her body to learn to convert for her. She's a patient person. I would not wait that long.

I did well on T3 therapy for Wilson's Syndrome and also RT3 protocol under various doctors care over the last 30 years. I did horribly with Synthroid.

I agree with Leo that you may have had too high of a dose. As she said, I would start really low and build up so you don't have any negative effect taking it, or ask if you can have the T4 and T3 compounded...another option.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #32
elizedge
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elizedge
Stats: 236/210/185then165
WOE: Atkins/LCHF
Start Date: 04/20/2016
Synthroid

I've done fine on generic, since I started taking thyroid medication three years ago. My doctor hates it, so she convinced me to pay ten times the price and try Synthroid. Apparently I'm sensitive to whatever they cut it with, I had three symptoms from brand name: I would forget to breath, I started waking up again at night, and leg cramps. I went back on generic and doing fine.
elizedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #33
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yes, all thyroid hormone Rx have 'fillers' that are needed to convey the hormones, and different ones 'react' in different people. For example, I do fine on Synthroid but cannot tolerate the generic Levothyroxine. So your situation with Synthroid is not unusual.

A lot of endos only trust the 'brand,' so I can understand your doctor's opinion. However, what you can tolerate is what's key, and that's what my own endo goes by--i.e. what's working.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #34
shelley
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
This just proves what many of us have been saying about most any medications. They are not a "one size fits all" type of thing.

Fillers can be really nasty for some who are sensitive, and it's great to find a doctor that understands this. Lucky you to be able to take the "cheaper" generic and have it work even better for you Elizedge!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #35
srmil30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 203/162.6/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 7-22-15
I personally did not do well on Synthroid or Levothyroine. I started on Armour years ago and started feeling like my old self again. I wish I felt good taking Synthroid because with my insurance it would be $15 a month instead of $38. But I am willing to pay it to feel normal.

1st goal met-20 lbs gone
2nd goal met- 30 lbs gone
3rd goal met- 40 lbs gone
srmil30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #36
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmil30 View Post
I personally did not do well on Synthroid or Levothyroine. I started on Armour years ago and started feeling like my old self again. I wish I felt good taking Synthroid because with my insurance it would be $15 a month instead of $38. But I am willing to pay it to feel normal.
You have great insurance; even with insurance, my Synthroid is around $33 per month. I am now on Levoxyl which is half that price with my insurance. I can't say I feel any different switching from brand name Synthroid to brand name Levoxyl, except for more money in my pocket. I will have a blood test the end of this month so we'll see if the Levoxyl is working for me. One change I have noticed with the switch....which may have happened even if I didn't switch or may just be my imagination.....my hair is not falling out as much as it was before. I only noticed it because I use a hair catcher in my shower and there's not as much hair in it after showering these days. It would be great if I started growing more hair, but I'm not counting on it.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #37
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Ronnie-
I was on Levoxyl for many years (first one prescribed) and did really well on it, but when it was taken off the market for a year some time ago (manufacturing problems), I went on Synthroid. I do fine on both, and the only reason I haven't gone back to the cheaper Levoxyl is that I also have to take Cytomel (T3) and can only tolerate the brand--which costs me $80 for 90 days. Since that is such a horrendous cost, the slight increase for Synthroid doesn't seem that important.

But I need a new prescription this month, so I might research the difference.

By the way, although I have no problem with Synthroid, a lot of women report hair loss with it, so you may be much better off on Levoxyl in addition to cost.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #38
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for that, Leo. You are a wealth of information. �� So maybe it's not my imagination.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #39
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

So, my doctor renewed the Levoxyl for me, but Walmart Pharmacy just called to say they can't get it because it's backordered. They asked me if I wanted them to contact another pharmacy to try to get it, or if they should contact the doctor to see if I could go on generic. I told them that it would be great if they could get the Levoxyl, but if they can't, I know my doctor wants me on the brand name which would be Synthroid. So, I hope this doesn't get screwed up and they end up giving me the generic because I'm afraid the staff in my doctor's office would just okay it. So much for trying to save a little money.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #40
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Ronnie-
They should be able to get the Levoxyl for you. I use a small, local pharmacy, and they get shipments daily, so if they don't have something, they will have it for me the next day. I'm sure most pharmacies have some system like this because it helps keep inventory down but provide service for customers.

Of course, I have no idea how Walmart works:-)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #41
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Ronnie-
They should be able to get the Levoxyl for you. I use a small, local pharmacy, and they get shipments daily, so if they don't have something, they will have it for me the next day. I'm sure most pharmacies have some system like this because it helps keep inventory down but provide service for customers.

Of course, I have no idea how Walmart works:-)
Hi Leo,
So, Walmart Pharmacy called me back and said my doctor's office said no to Synthroid because they thought it might be too expensive (that didn't sound right to me). The pharmacist said she called two pharmacies and no one had Levoxyl, so I told her I'd continue calling. I ended up calling Walgreen's, CVS, RiteAid, ShopRite, Wegmans, Costco and a local non chain pharmacy called All Town, and no had Levoxyl in stock, and they all said when they go into the computer to order it, the message that comes up says it's backordered. So, I called the manufacturer, Pfizer, and they confirmed that it is backordered and should be available in the beginning of February, although she couldn't guarantee it. So, I called my doctor's office and told them what the Walmart pharmacist said and she got all snippy and said that she told the pharmacist that if I was fine paying for Synthoid they would okay it. I knew the pharmacist didn't get it right. So, I told her that Synthroid was fine and she said she'd call the pharmacy back. So, I think I'll probably stay on Synthroid to avoid this from happening again. However, if I notice that my hair starts falling out again (I will see it in my drain catcher when I shower), I will go back to Levoxyl if I can.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #42
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Ronnie-
That's too bad about the Levoxyl. How strange that it's backordered. I know when it was taken off the market temporarily, it was due to some manufacturing issues, but that was a few years ago. When it's not available, they will lose patients as they did with you.

By the way, the pharmacist screw up is interesting because when I was on Levoxyl, I learned that my pharmacist wasn't happy because he didn't get any profit from it (the only T4 that was unprofitable for him). He tried to switch me to was insurance calls an 'equivalent' (Levothyroxine, which I don't tolerate), and that's how I found out. He must have been happy when Levoxyl went off the market, and I went on Synthroid.

My insurance company told me what was going on, and they said that it's common for a pharmacist to make no or little profit on a drug because on others, they make a big profit, so it all balances out to an overall profit for them.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #43
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

It seems money is the great motivator which can be at the expense of others, unfortunately.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #44
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Ronnie-
It seems that almost everywhere it's all about the money. In a way, I don't blame my pharmacist (local place, nice man) because I'm sure that like physicians, he's always doing battle with health insurance companies--who are responsible for our high costs.