Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #31
tommyboy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tommyboy
According to my wife, my "emissions" were melting her eyeballs. They were not doing me much good either.

About 20 years of digestive problems went away magically the first time I did lowcarb (Atkins induction). My diagnosis came afterwards.

Oh, I am also happy to report that my wife's eyebrows have grown back.
tommyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #32
Sage1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sage1
WOE: Calorie Cyling
I happened on this thread and thought I'd chime in. I'm not celiac but sort of self diagnosed with a non celiac gluten sensitivity in February of 2013 and except for four gluten containing meals (long story on that) in summer 2013 have been happily eating gluten free, with the blessing of my doctor even though I haven't been tested because I didn't want to go back and start eating gluten long enough to have the test.

I told the doctor I just feel better and he said fine lol.

End of story. I love the gluten free lifestyle and do feel better.
Sage1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #33
Louella
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Louella
Stats: 327/224/179 5'10" 43 y/o
WOE: Atkins '72 - Started on 6/26/14 @ 235 lbs
Start Date: June 2005
Just coming back and re-reading this thread now... Didn't see all of the comments about scalp issues before! I still reach for gluten whenever I'm stressed and have had my moments lately... so it's very possible I've been eating more gluten than usual as I totally noticed my scalp breaking out! I haven't changed my shampoo and wash my hair as often as I always have so had no clue why this was happening. It's very interesting to think it may be because of gluten! Just one more reason to cut the stuff off cold turkey, once and for all.
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #34
Auntie Em
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
Stats: 5' 7"/170cm, 61-63Kg
WOE: Kwasniewski
Start Date: Maintenance since 2001, VLC for six+ years now!
I'm surprised there aren't lots of posts in this thread.

No sugar/sweeteners or grains in the food plan gave me fewer allergy symptoms, less joint pain, more freedom of movement, and a greater feeling of calm, good cheer and poise.

I also removed legumes (except for green and wax beans), sweet fruits (I eat cucumbers, some squash, olives, and sometimes, avocados.), and also avoid nuts, chocolate, and nightshades,

and, later removed hard cheeses, except for rare indulgences.

For me, it wasn't only gluten, but lactose/casein, amines, and so on. I sleep better, have nicer skin and hair, better digestion, all the usual benefits.

Eliminating things which cause trouble is really nice.

"Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used."
---Peter Dobromylskyj
Maintainers over-55 Thread

Daily Callanetics.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-22-2015 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #35
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dae'Lynn
Stats: 186/122 from size 18 to size 4
WOE: Atkins Maintenance 40g-100g depending on appetite
Start Date: 02/02/02 reached goal 05/22/04
For me, these played a major role in going gluten-free:

no bloating
no cramping
no headaches
no crying at the drop of a hat
no itchy skin
no watery eyes
no sneezing
no fatigue
no joint pain (being low carb added to this)
glowing skin

I also stopped eating other gluten-free grains because they bothered me, too. The only grain I still have is corn. But that's only when I have a drink in the evening.
Dae'Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #36
motsy
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: motsy
Funny that I posted in 2013, instinctively believing that wheat may be a problem for me. I didn't really commit to wheat free until November 2014. I have not been as strict about low carbing, but have been avoiding wheat except for two or three times by accident. I have lost 25 pounds, am off my arthritis medicine, have no colitis symptoms and my skin is much better. Don't know how much the arthritis medicine might have been contributing, but my skin was very fragile- I am 55 and was getting skin tears on my arms from bumps I didn't even feel. Generally, wheat free has been very good to me!
motsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #37
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This is my story::

I have LCing for 12 years and once in a while would have some bread, but not very often. Loved the LC bagels, but never would lose while eating them.

So fast forward to May1, 2015...Dh and I took a trip to Italy. I started eating bread on the plane, ate croissants for breakfast, several meals of sandwiches, etc.. Four days of this put me in bed for 2 whole days having abdominal cramps. Bad..bad..

I managed to make the long flight home, went to the dr., got cramping meds and she told me to lay off the dairy. Huh?? I barely had dairy...then she said to lay off the gluten.

I added digestive enzymes/probiotics to heal me up. Basically it was IBS. I had had this about 10 times in the last few years and thought it was the norovirus. NOT..

So, no more wheat/gluten. If I have an episode, I am sick for a week..but then I was stupidly eating Saltines, thinking it would calm my tummy and it only made it worse.

Lesson learned.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #38
creativelc
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
My story...
As a 6 year old child I was taken to the doctor because of my frequent "tummy aches".
I was diagnosed with Malnutrition. I had to take Iron pills, and vitamins, and my Mother was advised to provide me with Eggnog's daily. The doctor told my parents that I was otherwise healthy, and I was having "Convenient tummy-aches". I still remember those words. I also remember getting sick to my stomach after my school lunch of PNB and Jelly sandwiches. It was the school principal that advised my parents to take me to the doctor because I was getting sick everyday.

I did however, like the breakfast Eggnogs, and drank them willingly. They didn't cause pain.

Another nagging memory was getting sick "all night" after fancy dinners in restaurants. Those meals often started with a bread basket. Stomach cramps were common.

I found out that LC diets worked for me, and surprisingly I felt so much better. After researching my symptoms, I eliminated wheat. I noticed the difference quickly. Eating no longer caused pain. It took two years, but my digestive system is now totally healed. No wheat for me!!!
creativelc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #39
geekgirl
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geekgirl
Really where do I start. My history is I spent my life having IBS, chronic migraines, severe anemia, an ankle injury that wouldn't heal right.

So I then started Atkins and for the first time I felt wonderful. I lost nearly 100 lbs but couldn't have cared less about that cause I felt normal, no more exhaustion, no more debilating migraines. I'd cheat every 2 months that was my personal rule when i did atkins to keep me on track the rest of the time and I'd wake up not being able to bend my hands so much inflamation settled into my joints. I attributed this to carbs not gluten at the time. then I got pregnant (with my now 11 year old) So I went back to low carbing but in a moderate way including whole grains. (big mistake if only I knew then what I know now) I went back to feeling awful and miserable, when he was a year old I got pregnant again and never really got back on track with low carbing due to life and how hectic it was with two young high needs children (one of whom is autistic) There wasn't time to take care of me.

My health got really bad and I went back to low carbing but not full atkins still allowing whole grains including wheat and oats and barley *sigh* So I never recreated the effect I had years ago and just quit all together. Then the gluten free trend hit so I started researching and cut it out and felt better but not perfect than I realized I was getting cross contaiminated and saw a doc went back to eating gluten for 4 weeks and got an upper GI scope to learn I have Celiac Disease. So then cut out gluten 100% and feel a thousand times better. I can control my anemia with iron infusions (they weren't helping before ) the inflamation in my joint settled and even my ankle is healing. Migraines are very few and far between instead of 2-3 per week. Energy level is max. its been since the year on strict atkins. I do need to get back to low carbing cause I want to lose about 20-30 lbs but just being gluten free is night and day for me I feel like another person
geekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #40
Its me - WENDALINA
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Migraines and bloat are gone. I am slowly losing weight, but I still feel GREAT!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #41
codysmom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: codysmom
Stats: 229/205/170
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 2/1/17
I suffered from stomach pains for 30 years and went through a number of tests, to no avail. And then, in 2013, I talked to a woman at a coffee shop who had recently been diagnosed with Celiacs. I had almost every.single.one.of.her.symptoms. Stomach pain I could feel in my back? Check. Canker sores my entire life? Check. Itchy rashes? Check. on and on.

I immediately went gluten free, the made an appointment to see my doctor. She STILL WASN'T SOLD! (but agreed that if it works, it works).

I had another problem surface in November, 2014 - terrible bloating and gas. Turns out I'm now lactose intolerant, which is not uncommon for people with gluten problems. I'm GF/DF and feelin' fine.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #42
Lisa1964
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa1964
I can't say enough about giving up gluten. It took about a decade to find out gluten was the issue.
Lisa1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #43
deltavore
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deltavore
Stats: 188/183/165
WOE: Primal/Atkins/Real Food
After eliminating gluten from my diet, I breathe more easily and do not need to take decongestants.
deltavore is offline   Reply With Quote