Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Depressing thread....does cancer run in your family?

My father died from colon cancer at age 72, my Mother had stomach and kidney cancer 5-1/2 years ago and is cancer free now at age 88 (after surgery, chemo and radiation), my Mother's brother had bladder cancer 16 years ago and is doing fine now at age 85. I always knew I was at risk, especially for digestive cancers due to my Mother and father both having it. Then last year my fraternal twin sister had a pre cancerous polyp removed from her colon; I had a colonoscopy a year before she did with no polyps, but my doctor now says not to wait the full five years for my next colonoscopy. Then in October my 68-year old brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was scheduled to have a prostatectomy at Sloan Kettering on Jan. 10th, but the pre-op MRI showed a growth on his bladder, so they're addressing that first (my brother doesn't discuss these things with me but based on what I heard from my Mother, the thought is that it is malignant). I'm terribly afraid for my brother and part of me is afraid for my sister and myself as well. I know that if siblings have cancer, your risk is higher. I'm not sure how to deal with all of this. I see my doctor regularly but the fear that I will get cancer is getting stronger everyday and now that I'm stressing big time over my brother, I'm not sure if I can handle it. I'm trying to hide my fears for him and for me and my sister from my sister who tends to bury her head in the sand, and from my Mother who, at age 88 and a cancer survivor, doesn't need to hear about my fears. Anyone out there in a similar situation...how do you deal with it?
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote