Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Speaking of Juicing...

Speaking of Juicing....I think I've been doing it all wrong.

I have been blending, not juicing. Who Knew?

I did a lot of research today and finally read thru all the articles and watched some videos and yeah, juicing removes the fiber. And even though we need fiber, eliminating the fiber takes the work off the digestive organs, so our bodies can heal and possibly lose weight.

I ordered a real juicer today, supposed to be better, so we shall see.

Always before, if I juiced solely for a few days, I was stuck in the bathroom more than I wasn't. I'm hoping trying this will help to eliminate that problem. If it doesn't, then I wasted my $$$.

So I'll do this experiement when I get my juicer and post the results here. I don't mind juicing, but I think I'll start with a 3 day plan and then carry on from there.

After the 3 days, I may do some smoothies (blenderized) and some juicing and maybe even some eating, but low carb only.

My Goal =to gain lots of energy. I seem to be lacking in that category.

Last edited by Nigel; 10-30-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is the one I ordered in case anyone is interested.

SKG New Generation Wide Chute Anti-Oxidation Slow Masticating Juicer (240W AC Motor, 60 RPMs, 3" Inches Big Mouth) - Vertical Masticating Cold Press Juicer

From the reviews, its supposed to be a good one.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
It'll be interesting to see if you feel different actually juicing. Lots of people have gone to blending to get the fiber (whole food) and the nutrients which are bound in the fiber which are released in digestion.

You also get the quick hit of sugar with juicing which may not be an issue for you but it is for many.

Fiber also help you 'go'......
Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I plan on juicing mostly vegetables.

Since this machine is a masticating juicer, it doesn't do well with soft foods, and most of the fruits I have used are fairly soft.

I have just been so tired all the time and I want energy. I don't need to be losing weight and I generally put berries in my smoothies, sometimes a small orange, but even with that, the carbs are ok for me.

I will probably end up blending anything that is soft and juicing the other and then mixing them together. I know that's not proper juicing, but I'll see how it works for me. I figure half the fiber is good for me and the other half I can live without.

I can't eat a lot of fiber without it affecting me. Funny how that is. They used to have this super fiber bread at Walmart that was low carb. Man, that stuff about killed me. lol

I eat Low Carb Bread Company high fiber bread once in a while and it doesn't do me in, but I know I ate it, so I eat it sparingly, about once a week and only 1 slice or 1 bagel. Their high fiber pasta didn't affect me though, so I thought that was strange, but ok.

TMI?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Never TMI. We need to know!

I wonder if adding hemp hearts to your smoothies would give you an energy boost....they are such little powerhouses.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will do that for sure. I also have chia to add to them.

I was watching someone's video about juicing and they added pumpkin seeds to the juices for protein.
I'm thinking I could add those or sunflower seeds as well.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 186/122/119-125
WOE: 310/1550
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014
I have juiced on and off in the past and I juiced the hard veggies and blended the fruit. All the sugar in the fruit needs to have its fiber with it. Avocados blend so beautifully with everything. Jason Vale has some absolutely fabulous recipes.

I always felt great when juicing and hope to add that back into WOE someday. Good luck and I hope it helps you get where you want to be.
This time is forever Thanks to JUDDD!!!!(and Fung)and low carb friends!
1st mini goal 134.9 Done!
2nd major goal 124.9. 10/25
3rd ultimate and final goal 120ish 11/18
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Leanne21071.

I will look up Jason vale's recipes.

I go the juicer today, so I will start on Monday. Gotta go pick up some produce today.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I started a new juicing journey yesterday.
I'm just playing it by ear to see how long I can do this.

I love the new juicer, it's the bomb. It will even make tofu....well, that is something I may try in the future. It's not hard to clean and it's easy to use, so I'm happy.

I noticed that juice tastes way different and possibly better without the pulp in it. It's very smooth and seems to taste healthier.

I will still make protein smoothies just to get in some protein, but the juices all taste great so far.

I don't like greens at all, except baby spinach.

I bought kale, mustard greens, and beets with the greens on them, so I can hopefully learn to like them or else hide them in my juices. I got them for the health benefits.

I don't worry about organic because to me, its just a label and I want proof that it's organic. I mean, how do you really know? JMHO

I bought about half my produce at the 99 cent store in SA and the other half last night at HEB, so I'm all set.

I plan on making enough juice for 2 days at a time, so it will be easier on me.

I got a cold pressed pure cranberry juice to drink on the way home from shopping. It was so tart--the tartest thing I have ever drank, but as I kept drinking it, it got more tolerable, but I won't be buying that again. I am glad it was only 12 oz. The ingredients were: cranberries. All the other juices they had were way high in carbs. I'm keeping my carbs low and my fruity drinks to one per day, except for strawberry smoothies.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #10
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday's Juices

Yesterday's Juices = normally 16oz for a serving for me, except protein smoothies, 32 oz

apple, grape, strawberry smoothie

2 red hot pepper juices

2 hot pepper juices

1 V8

1 strawberry protein smoothie

I got a late start yesterday, so I will probably have more juices than that every day.
I would like to get in 2-4 protein smoothies. I use almond milk for those and sometimes coconut milk or coconut water. I like the almond milk the best.

I am not counting carbs, but mostly doing veggies and strawberry protein drinks to keep them down. I am not trying to lose weight, but I don't want a sugar overload either, even if it is natural sugar. I had the fruit smoothie for breakfast yesterday and I have to tell you, I was buzzin' like a chainsaw all day long. It's probably just cuz I'm not used to having something sweet first thing in the morning. I think I'll save it for the afternoon cuz that is when I start feeling drained. Maybe it will help. We will see.

I bought a case of pint mason jars to put my juices in, since you need to keep them filled up to the top and a good, closed lid on them. I have other juice bottles that are glass, but the tops are pretty small and I have to use a funnel to fill them. I figured it was okay to make it easy on myself.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
have you tried the Ripple plant milk yet (pea protein). I really like it. Your juices sound divine.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi ouizoid, Thank you. I haven't tried that one yet.

I tried some pea protein a while back but the aftertaste was not something I cared for. I probably got a bad brand.

I have been looking for the ripple in the stores here, but ya know Walmart and heb grocery store and neither of them had it.
I'll check SA on Saturday when I go to Sprouts.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday I felt like I had the detox flu.
Every part of my body ached and I was so exhausted.

It's a good thing I had some juices made up already.

I couldn't sleep the night before, too much tossing and turning from aches and pains in my feet and then of course, having to go pee like every hour. Grrhh!! That's the part I dislike about juicing.

Last night, I slept better...not great, but better. So each day will get better for me, I am sure of it.

I have a tough time going to sleep when I'm hungry or when I think I'm hungry. I hear my stomach growling so I get up and make a protein smoothie. That helped. I know it's probably more mental, but when you feel dizzy, it might be real.

Now I just have to figure out how to juice and still make dinner for my wife. Last night, I just grilled her a steak and baked potato...very easy for me. The night before she had leftover chicken parmesan, corn, mashed potatoes that I had made for her on Sunday. Gosh, I'm beginning to love having leftovers for her in the fridge. Tonight, I'm clueless as what to cook. It will be something easy though.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I tried pea protein and it was awful.
I mentioned hemp hearts because of it's protein content without the addition of anything else.

Nigel, you're still not eating? Watch out for too much weight loss. If it's too low you will lose energy.

What's the pain cause? Hope it subsides.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really don't know what the pain is from, maybe just too many hours on my feet. At my job, I do a lot of walking.

I think I may start having dinner since I can't sleep very good when I don't eat. I think as long as I juice and eat low carb, the pain should go away.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have this thing on my phone that counts my steps. It says I walked
14,448 steps yesterday. That is between work, shopping, and home. That is the most I have walked. Yeah, that could make one's feet hurt a bit.

For juicing, I have been using romaine in some green juices. Its a whole lot milder than kale and kale has never been a friend to me. lol
Old 11-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I agree, kale for juicing is blah.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't juiced in about a week cuz I have had the flu. I am planning on starting again tomorrow.
I just didn't have the energy to make the juices. I did download a few for the flu, so I will try them out first thing.

I have to go thru all my produce tomorrow and see what is still good. Then of course, shopping again for veggies.

Does anyone else juice in any capacity?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #19
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not me. But I'm always interested in reading about your experiences with it
Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I'm getting rid of my last juicer. I can't imagine wanting to do it again.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #21
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ouizoid.

I understand jem. Juicing is not for everyone.

I am the opposite though. I actually crave fresh juice. I was tortured while I was sick by watching all those commercials with juicers and then I watched a little people show and the gal was making a big ole fruit smoothie and I was green (jealous) cuz I couldn't even drink one if I had it.

I think I might be a juice addict. It does help me feel better too and when I don't drink any, I can tell. I might have to join Juicers Anonymous. haha!!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #22
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I started juicing in the 70's and have owned just about every brand and type that was available.

I don't know what changed but now it doesn't sound good...not bad, just not good.
I am liking greens in smoothies, thought. Maybe I just need more of a meal.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #23
GME
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Who knew blending wasn't juicing? Me!

I went through a "juice phase" a while back and read quite a bit about it. I would go on threads where the subject was juicing, then someone would talk about their Nutribullet, and I would say that's not juicing, then they would say,"But the fiber is so good for you! You waste too much if you don't keep the fiber!"

I gave up.

I had to send my masticating juicer back, but I am thinking about another one this summer when the garden is going.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #24
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well while it is true that we need fiber, we don't need all the fiber we get from constantly juicing.

So if a person just wants a couple of juices/smoothies per day, blending is quite alright.

I did notice that after I started juicing properly, I didn't have to stay in the bathroom (sitting) that much. You still have to go pee, but hey, anytime you drink a lot of anything, that will happen. lol

The juiced juice tastes better and smoother than the blended juice. I still blend juice when I don't want to make a lot.

I have also read that people now freeze their juices that they made. I have not tried that yet.

I figured I'd start this thread to keep piling information into and ideas from everyone as well as opinions.

Honestly, GME, unless you are going to do major juicing, just blend up your juice and enjoy the fiber.

I go thru phases where I just juice or I juice and eat a meal or I blend a couple of times per day. I like using both. On regular days, I have a blended smoothie with strawberries and protein powder. Then I have a few juices of whatever recipe I try or my old favorite, v8+.

I think we can make up the "rules" as we go as they may apply to us individually. I think juicing is good for us, in any capacity as long as it's fresh juice.

Probably next week, I will test out freezing a couple of juices. I have made some up ahead and the next day, they weren't very good. The v8+ type keeps very well in the fridge, but not all juices are created equal.
Also, anything with cabbage, has to be drank right away or else it's literally horrible. I learn these things as I go along.

I tried to be one of those 30 day juicing, no food eating, die-hards, but that just isn't me. I can do a few days and then I have to eat. I think it may be because I do so much walking at my job and I do a lot of physical stuff at home, fixing up the house and cleaning up the land/yard, etc. It takes a toll on me.

If you have anything to add to this thread, please do...that means anyone or everyone. I like the conversations, ideas, opinions, etc.

Last edited by Nigel; 12-02-2016 at 12:29 PM..
Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

New Year, New Plan

So my new plan for this year is to eat and juice both. I'm staying low carb or moderately low carb and juicing mostly veggies. If I need a smoothie with protein powder, I will use berries. I know it doesn't sound much different than how I was doing the juicing thing, but I decided not to torture myself anymore cuz I truly want to eat, not just juice.

I tried the chocolate whey protein powder with almond milk and it wasn't very chocolately at all. I may have to add some chocolate to it. I have s/f syrup and cocoa and stevia. I suppose I will have to try both. First I need to refresh my mind on the ingredients in the s/f syrup...see if it will give me distress. I like the idea of having a chocolate smoothie/milkshake thingy for a change. I actually ordered the chocolate protein powder by mistake...I wasn't paying attention.

Does anyone else use chocolate protein powder?
If so, do you make anything with it besides a smoothie?
I am interested in low carb cookies or something like that. I prefer to get recipes from members instead of just google. I have gotten a lot of bad ones via google. TIA
Old 01-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
GME
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/199/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/LC
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have mixed chocolate protein powder with cottage cheese, some extra cocoa and sweetener and mixed the heck out of it with a hand mixer. It makes a fluffy mousse-type thing.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #27
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I highly recommend the chocolate stevia syrup made by nu-naturals called nuStevia cocoa syrup. so chocolatey! add it to smoothies or whatever. I also use Hershey's special dark cocoa whenever I am eating something chocolately--add it to smoothies by first dissolving some in a little hot water.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #28
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I have to look for that cocoa syrup. Rarely is anything chocolaty enough for me except dark chocolate bars.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #29
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks GME and ouizoid...I will look for that syrup. I really prefer stevia everything these days. I am so tired of chemical concoctions just for the sake of being lower carbs.
ouizoid ~ I see they have it on Netrition...great...need to make another order....

Now I'm really excited...I see they have stevia sweetened chocolate pudding mix...oh yeah, this order will be easy to make. Thanks again ouizoid.

Last edited by Nigel; 01-09-2017 at 01:01 PM..