Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #31
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
S&P---the carb load is my problem too--A veg diet is hard to keep lowcarb
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #32
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I really had to go easy on carbs, but I was determined since I could no longer eat meat/eggs.

Instead of oatmeal, I used a couple T's of oat bran then filled it out with ground flax and chia.
Now I use a scant 1/3 c rolled oats and still use flax and chia.

I still eat 1 slice sandwiches unless I have a lower carb bread.

I rarely eat a potato...same with rice unless we are out for Japanese food then it's a roll.

I eat more beans and vegies than anything without gain....and nuts.
It was all by trial and error. I knew being fat would never work for me....it didn't in the past, so......

I also gave up overeating which is one of those vegan myths; you can eat as much as you want, blah, blah....
Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #33
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight, now 168
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Feb 15, 2017
Is anyone still following in this group? It looks like no one has posted for about 20 days. I'm looking for a veggie group for support and I like the dialogue that is going on here. I'm currently with another group on these boards but they are all High Fat, Low Carb and I just don't like eating that way. I love the group - fantastic ladies to visit with but also want to find a group that I can interact with on a daily/weekly basis to stay encouraged while I lose about 30 pounds.

I'm a "mostly vegetarian" eater. I do use butter, eggs, cheese, and a slight amount of meat (1/4 pound or less per week). My biggest goal is to do a better job of cutting out refined flours & sugars (crackers, cookies, chips etc). I've been with the other HFLC group for about 6 weeks and was introduced to the method of Intermittent Fasting (IF) which I enjoy immensely. So my diet plan now is to do IF combined with the "mostly veggie" WOE.

So if this group is up and running I'd like to ask to join you. I'd like to be with a group that is actively posting each day or nearly each day because I need the interaction with others of a like mind to get through the dieting drudgery.

I'm 59, 171, and need to lose about 30 pounds which is going to take a while.
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #34
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm mostly veggie and just about your age and weight. I do low-carb veggie, what they call eco-Atkins. I'd love to see this thread get more active
Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #35
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Members don't post because they don't see anyone else posting and it snowballs until it seems to have died.
When I started posting here, it was like I was talking to myself....and I was but since I was just starting out, I felt the need.

I don't follow low carb even though I still pay attention.
When I first ditched meat, I probably ate more like fat fast, meaning fats and vegies.
I still appreciate all the vegie dishes from LC like zoodles and cauli mash/rice, turnips for potatoes and such but now I can include more carbs while still stretching them with flax and such.

Since it's a new year maybe some of the people who started this thread will come back.

Nigel eats a low carb vegie woe with plenty of juice.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #36
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I think that juicing veggies keep me on track.
I don't need to lose any weight, but I can if I don't eat and I just juice.
Not that I'm recommending that for anyone, its just that I wasn't feeling like eating enough and I was tired all the time.
The juice gives me energy. I also drink a protein drink daily and sometimes 2 just to get in enough protein.

An example of my dinner tonight is=boca burger on a smart bun and a veggie pouch with some onion, red bell pepper, broccoli and squash, maybe a couple of baby carrots. That's what it takes to fill me up for a meal.

Sometimes I have starch, but like half a cup or half a small baked potato or half an ear of corn. Not a lot, but true Low Carbers would beat me up for doing that. I generally eat lc bread, but only 1 slice of it. And sometimes I make flatbun sandwiches, around 17 carbs for the flatbun, but yeah, it probably has some wheat in it.

I have been advised to use only vegetable protein for my smoothies. I don't know what kind to buy cuz I am sensitive to any strange tastes. I am also not a die-hard anything, including vegetarian. I don't eat meat 99% of the time, but I do backslide occasionally and have some chicken stock in some soup or a couple of slices of bacon. I can't seem to give up real cheese either. So I decided not to beat myself up and not try to be perfect and just see what happens.

What has happened is that my cholesterol is slowly getting better and my energy level is rising and I am doing more exercise and I pay a lot of attention to what I eat. But enough about me.

I truly believe that you can make a woe work for you if you are adjustable enough. If you only want to eat veggies, you can lose weight but it might require that you eat more raw veggies, nuts, no wheat products at all, and berries and no other fruit. Of course that is up to the individual.
And I have been told that some people lose a good amount of weight by only eating fruit. Well, those are the exceptions in my opinion.

Eating fruit is okay in moderation, as with everything else. But if you decide to do strictly low carb, then fruit is out with the exception of berries.

Being a low carb vegetarian is the hardest low carb woe, in my opinion. Mostly because you have to find protein sources that are low in carbs. Hence, the protein shakes...0 carb and 25 grams of protein in Isopure, but it has whey in it, so its not purely vegan. It's okay for vegetarians as is cheese, but cheese products often stall low carbers.

I do hope everyone comes back to this forum. I have been diligent for years about posting just to keep it open. I do feel that there is a need for this type of forum, no matter what we talk about, we are basically on the vegetable route.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #37
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hello to all of you.

ouizoid.....I haven't ever heard of eco-atkins. How does that work? It sounds like it might be veggies with cheese or butter or something like that. I'm familiar with Atkins but can't do all that meat. If you would like to check in on this thread most days I'll try to be here sometime throughout the day. Do you have much weight to lose? I'd like to lose about 30 pounds overall. My fist goal is to be down a pant size by summer (May-June). I'm older and it seems to go slower......darn!!!!

I can lose weight by doing eggs, and chicken salad for proteins along with lots of veggies, very little fruit, no flour (as in bread or crackers). I just need the support of a group to check in and be accountable to. I don't like much meat so doing the low carb thing where people just eat eggs, steak, lobster etc.....blahhhhhhhhhhh, just can't do that. Also, it gives me terrible heart burn. I am much happier having a plate full of veggies or veggie soup with an occasional deviled egg or something.

Also, while on the HFLC group they introduced me to Intermittent Fasting, called IFing. That is where you eat only within a 5 hour window of time. I absolutely love this concept and have been doing it for the last 6-7 weeks. I only eat between noon and 5 p.m. which naturally limits the calorie amounts as long as you don't eat really stupid (like a whole cake or 10 candy bars). Most days I'm eating in the 1500 calorie range. This way of eating really helps you get your appetite under control because so often we eat because we want food rather than needing food. After a few weeks on IFing your stomach shrinks and you simply desire less food. I love this WOE. Do any of you use this approach to WOE?

Does Erika 19?? follow anymore on this group? I was reading another set of posts in the Veggie section and she was describing the foods she likes and I totally identified with her. I just wondered if she would like to come over here too. She and some others were talking about using more veggie meats. I do that and love it and have a few recipes to share.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #38
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Oh and i juice occasionally too but find it expensive. My favorite is carrot juice. yummmmmmmmmmm.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #39
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Oh and I do a shake by Evolv most days to get my handfull of vitamins down. 50-100 calories depending upon if I make it a half cup or full cup of milk and mix.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #40
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Karen, I IF when I can, usually eating between 10 AM and four. Eco-Atkins means vegetarian Atkins, but I cannot eat much fat. I do eggs, Boca burgers , Things like cottage cheese, tons of veggies, nuts, and I love vegan low-carb protein bars called 'no cow bars' That I buy on amazon. I'm a very creative cook and I post a lot of low fat low calorie low-carb recipes on the JUDDD board and Also the low carb cooking board here at low-carb friends
Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #41
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Ouizoid,

Thanks for responding. Your food choices sound exactly like mine. And you are an IFer. I think we would make good diet buddies. And actually, I found the JUDDD boards last night and spent some time reading. I decided to try incorporating JUDDD into my routine today. It will be my first DD. I'm going to start with 600 calories. My plan is to do a total of 4 eggs and 2 of my Evolv protein shakes. Since you post on JUDDD do you also do JUDDD? I'm having a little bit of a difficult time figuring out the JUDDD formula. It looks like you determine your stable calories (I think mine is around 1600 calories) and divide by 25% to get your DD recommended total? Am I close? Also, the boards are set up in grams or something and I'm terrible at counting those. I just count calories. I found a really good Atkin's bar a couple weeks ago. It is the Almond Coconut Bar (200 calories). It sits heavy in your stomach like you've had a meal and it doesn't raise blood sugar. Plus it feels like eating candy which is always fun.

I'll spend a little more time on the JUDDD thread today trying to get more tips. Are you interested in trying to support each other on this Veggie thread or do you have another area of the boards that you enjoy more?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #42
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Karen--I check in on the veggie board when I can, and I am happy to support you--If you don't see me for a few days, it is because I am either traveling for business or taking care of an elderly parent--

I recommend that you investigate the juddd calculators. The best one is on Dr. Johnson's site, google johnson up day down day calculator. It willl help you. Scales are great for measuring in grams. Mostly people who do JUDDD build a few menus that they know will get them thru the down day within calorie limits.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #43
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: Start 2011 @ 265 lbs ~Restart 1/1/17**220 lbs
WOE: WFPB
Hi Karen! I have not been around much lately due to going through a really tough time right now. It is more of a personal problem, but it has been affecting my eating in a very negative way. I have been making very poor choices over the past couple of month, but I am still a veggie head! LOL I am hoping for the new year to give me enough motivation to clean my act up
04-01-17--
05-01-17--
06-01-17--
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #44
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ouizoid for checking in and welcoming me. I'll check out that calculator. and yep, I get it about work and taking care of parents. I don't work a job anymore but I do 20 hours of volunteer work each week from my home office. I'm also a caregiver for my 37 year old son who has end stage Cystic Fibrosis, but is doing well at the moment. I'll check in on this Veggie thread to find you.

Hi Erika.... I actually landed in this thread because I was reading your posts (and a few others) a few days ago and it sounded like we like the same kind of foods. I thought....now where is that girl because she would be a good diet buddy . Then I came over here and found Ouizoid who also eats the same....yippee....maybe some new dieting friends.

So Sorry that your personal life has been difficult lately. Life happens doesn't it??? And so sorry that you run to food for comfort. Maybe with more diet buddies we can fill that void and habit. When I'm stressed I tend to do the opposite...I don't usually want to eat but thankfully my stress load has been light, or at least I've learned to deal with it better which is probably the better way to express it. I think I'm just old enough that I don't care much anymore. I tend to say "screw it" and move forward which is totally not who I used to be when I was younger.

So jump on the band wagon, Erika, and see if we can peel off a few pounds before shorts and capri's are in our closets. I just need some friendship and accountability and I don't want to pay Weight Watchers $15 a week... .

So I've been doing IFing for about 6-7 weeks and only gained one pound over the holidays which was AMAZING!!!! I'm on the Eat Fat, Get Thin thread on this board and really enjoy those ladies over there but they are all low carb eaters and my body just doesn't do well with all that meat and butter. I miss being able to talk about veggies, fruits & veggie burgers. But it was through that group that I learned about IFing and I'm so thankful to them because it is suiting me perfectly. So just last night I found the JUDDD posting thread and it is so close to what I'm doing with IFing that I decided to add JUDDD to my 5 hour IF window routine. I'm in my open window now and have had a 100 calorie shake and about 80 calories of Almonds (I love chewing). I'll try to do three eggs and another shake or maybe a hot chocolate instead of the shake. I live in Minnesota and it is -13 degrees today so the hot chocolate might be more soothing than the cold shake.

So tell me if you are "in" and what your plan is and I'd love to support you if you are interested in checking in daily (or close to that) and doing this together for a while.

I can already tell you that Bocca burgers are on my menu for tomorrow. . I think I saw in a posting that you were trying some of the meatless meats. I do a few of them and love them and some are simply awful. Anyway....that's it. Thanks for being welcoming.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #45
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi jem and nigel......It sounds like the two of you have already peeled off your pounds. Congratulations!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #46
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Still Karen,
Welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here.

Yes, I don't need to lose weight, but I always strive to feel better and I honestly believe that eating or drinking more fresh veggies is the way to go.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #47
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: watching carbs
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11

I agree with Nigel
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #48
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too👏
Old 01-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #49
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Sorry for the MIA, I got busy with the holidays, and out of the habit of coming here.

Anyway, I'm still mostly veggies. I don't do much fat. I do some starches, but I've gotten back into my WW days of measuring portions. That seems to be helping a lot. So I eat a little of all food groups except meat. No dairy, except eggs mixed in pancakes, bread etc. I try to use egg whites.

When I say mostly veggies, I did have turkey on Christmas etc.... and I still use some chicken broth for making veggie soup. So it's a work in progress. (as Jem said once )

Erica!!!! So glad to see you!!!! We missed you!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #50
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Karen, I will try my best to get back into the groove, the Lord knows you spooked me when you mentioned short pant season It also feels good to have more like minded people around, and not feel like the main attraction in a side show.Even when I stray off plan for a bit, I still strongly believe that whole foods, plant based, is the only way to go for me. And it's not like when I do stray, that I pig out on meats, its usually cookies...

Anna!!! It is so good to see you!!! I also made a turkey, not for Thanksgiving, but for New Years. I wanted it SO bad, or so I thought...It is sitting in the freezer now I had mashed taters with mushrooms and gravy, and a ton of veggies instead!

Quiz and Nigel, I am another one that feels SO much better with more veggies and fruit!
04-01-17--
05-01-17--
06-01-17--
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #51
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Wow....there is a whole group here !!!!

Me too - I'm just a person who prefer's fruits and veggies. I always have. I was the kid that cried at the table when my mom made me eat my meat. My brother hated veggies so when she was not looking we often traded food so we were both happy.

My weight gain has happened over about 8 years. I never had a problem before that, was always right in the middle of my weight chart. I have had chronic back pain for a couple decades from an auto accident but it got increasingly worse about 8ish years ago and now I'm somewhat disabled from it. I used to walk 45-60 minutes every day. Did that from about 18-50 years of age but somewhere around age 50 walking started increasing my pain so I gradually backed away from exercise walking. I've been hospitalized a few times with back pain that left me unable to walk at all. So over these last few years my weight has gradually crept up, a few pounds each year until this point where i'm simply disgusted with my weight. I'll be happy if I can just get down to about 140 although my old weight was always around 126-130 and that would be terrific to get back there. My weight gain food problem, like Erika stated, is not that I eat terrible foods, its the cookies, crackers, and chips. I used to be able to eat all those foods and not gain a pound but with the more sedentary state from my back pain I have to give those foods up for the most part. Also, I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I turned 59 this year and it seems like the calories just don't burn off like they did when I was younger. So that's my story....pain & too many cookies and crackers. I'm sure it will take me a year or two to slowly lose the weight so it would be nice to have some "friends" to hang with during the journey. I'm finding IFing very helpful with curbing the snacking....yeahhhh

Also, I was always the thin one at functions with friends and family and I'm really getting uneasy going to events. I don't want people I know to see me like this which is really starting to mess with my mind. Definitely time to peel off the pounds.

So today I had a goal to do my first day of JUDDD at 600 calories. I'm at 720 calories but feeling satisfied. I do think I'm going to add another 100 calories of hot chocolate before bed because it is now -18 degrees in Minnesota and I'm cold. All in all an 800 calorie day is a very good first day on JUDDD for me.

Stay warm where ever you all are and thanks for welcoming me to the group.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #52
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone.

Karen how is JUDD going? Lots of people have success with it.

I'm still here, eating ok. I'd say I'm at least 90% veggie. I ate some vegetable soup yesterday that had chicken broth in it. (I did feel sorta bad tho) no meat, I don't get bent out of shape about that, so I may never be 100%. Who knows. I"m much better than I was 6 mos ago.

Erica hows it going?

ouizoid it's always great to see you here. Sorry about the elderly parent, I too am "trying" to care for my elderly MIL. She is a challenge. LOL I joke she is harder than a teenager. I say all that with love. I just try to stay on the sunny side.

Hi to Nigel and jem I always appreciate your input.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #53
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to see you here saltnpepper.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #54
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi all

My JUDDD experiment didn't go that well. I guess I just like to eat too much. I ended up with 1200 calories for my down day. Not exactly what I had hoped for. I think I will do better to just stick with my regular IFing 5 hour window. It was a good experiment but I never do well with 300-600 calorie days and all I do on those days is think about food. With my regular 5 hour window I never obsess about food, it feels very natural. Better stick with what works.

Like so many of you, I'm not vegetarian or vegan and don't plan to be, however I'm a person who just generally eats way less animal products than our "normal" American society. So you'll never hear me grumble because someone had some meat or eggs on this thread. I just personally feel better when I have fruits and vegetables on my daily plate.

Years ago I would diet using Atkins and Stillman diets which are all meat, eggs, & fish all day......................blahhhhh, I would always feel terrible eating like that. I would be sluggish, constipated, bad breath, heartburn, no energy, brain fog x80.....My body just doesn't like that. I've always enjoyed vegetables and feel better with that WOE.

Today I had my protein shake and a chicken salad sandwich for lunch, will have a large salad for supper, maybe some almonds if my crunching nerve starts calling me. That's a typical eating day for me except in place of the chicken salad I might usually have a veggie burger piled high with spinach leaves and cucumber . My son ate out the other day and brought home a huge piece of a chicken breast left over from the huge serving in the restaurant and parked it in the fridge so I pulled it off the bone and made a yummy chicken salad out of it.

Catching up on bill paying and laundry this afternoon.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #55
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

b: eggs, morningstar sausage and a green smoothie

L: cauli rice, chard, a little bit of turkey, zen soup (enoki mushrooms, miso and tofu)

d: probably cottage cheese, almond yogurt and walnuts with berries (my favorite dinner--keeps me full til morning)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #56
Erika1962
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone, just a quick check in to let you all know I am still alive!

Anna, I am taking it day by day here. Between personal stuff, hormonal craziness, and the frigid temperatures here, I am just working on keeping my sanity. My body is determined to fatten up for the winter, and it's driving me nuts!

Karen, I did 6 months of JUDDD back in 2012, and absolutely loved it when I first started, went from 198 to 165 pounds in that time. The only problem I had during that time was insomnia, I wasn't able to sleep on my down days. BUT then it started...the binging, and it has not stopped since. I tried every diet plan on the net that would help me to stop the binging, from Atkins to the Zone, Dukan, meat and egg fasts, NK, every plan that is listed on this site. I gained back A LOT of weight, and I am probably the only person on the forum that ever gained on low carb, but that was not the only problem I had from eating all that meat and fat, but will not mention them because they are just to disgusting. Lets just say I have grown very fond of the plant based diets and how they make me feel

Quiz, Nigel, Jem
04-01-17--
05-01-17--
06-01-17--
Old 01-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #57
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Erika1962,
Hang in there...you can do it. I have confidence in you.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #58
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Awww, Erika, that is disheartening. It seems that food is your enemy. How do you deal with that emotional roller coaster? Yes, after just that one day of down day on JUDDD I think I decided that it is not for me. I can see that it could do a number on the brain to want to binge. I'm really enjoying the 5 hour IFing window. I feel completely satisfied, am never hungry, and i don't have trouble staying inside the window. The weight is slow to come off but I'll be happy if I can just get a dress size a year off at my age. Slow boat to China mentality is what I have in my mind. I'm just so sorry that it is that challenging for you. You are beautiful in your picture and you don't look heavy at all. Have you ever done the 5 hour window method, did you like it?

Do you live in a colder climate where you can't get out and exercise in the winter? And maybe you don't live close to a mall or something to walk inside? In my dreams I would love to live in the middle of the United States (Tennessee, maybe) where you don't have the extreme cold or heat so a person can get out and move the body on a daily basis. I live in Minnesota, snow and Ice all winter. I would think it would be just as challenging to live in Texas where it is 110 degrees all summer - who wants to get out in that??

Anyway.....L =protein shake,& 2 eggs (300 cals)
S = Atkins bar (200 cals)
D= cole slaw. cabbage salad, 1/4 apple, green beans, corn,
2 oz pork chop, 3 little cookies (700-800)

About a 1200-1300 day. Sometimes its hard to count because I don't really measure but I know calorie counts close enough to guess. At the most 1500 calories but I don't think so.

Ickkkk, it's raining ice right now. I hate icy roads and sidewalks.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #59
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

How is everyone? I'm about the same. I did go back to WW, that way I eat all veggies - even - starch.... I just measure and limit myself. So we'll see IF that works.

Erica how are you? Hope your feeling better.

How are you SKaren?

ouizoid I've never heard of that soup. Do you make it yourself?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #60
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Hello 'Mostly Veggies"

How/where is everyone? I'm still eating all/mostly veggies.

It takes a lot more time in the kitchen, but meat doesn't appeal to me right now.

So potatoes here I come.

Happy Week-End.