Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
primroselane
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 328/222.6/150
WOE: lchf
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/14
YIKES

I cheated over the holidays, and in order to get my thyroid meds refilled had to get blood work done. My Dr. about flipped... my cholesterol total 430, HDL45, TRIGLYCERIDES ... drumroll please.... 646.
I go back in 3 months..... I am back on LCHF, (my blood work was normal when I was eating clean), can't wait to see if I can turn this around in 3 months!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
They are some really scary numbers. Hope you can turn it around with diet and exercise.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #3
Maria527
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 5'4", 50 yrs.
WOE: Dukan/Primal
Start Date: 8/12/2008; Restart 1/2/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by primroselane View Post
I cheated over the holidays, and in order to get my thyroid meds refilled had to get blood work done. My Dr. about flipped... my cholesterol total 430, HDL45, TRIGLYCERIDES ... drumroll please.... 646.
I go back in 3 months..... I am back on LCHF, (my blood work was normal when I was eating clean), can't wait to see if I can turn this around in 3 months!
Wow, thank you for sharing your info. Come back and let us know how your followup goes!

My Facebook

My Weightloss Journal
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
primroselane
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 328/222.6/150
WOE: lchf
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria527 View Post
Wow, thank you for sharing your info. Come back and let us know how your followup goes!
Will do!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
shunsweets
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I just got my lab work today cholesterol 400. I have been eating strictly LCHF with less than 30 carbs a day. My doc wants me on statins I am sure but I had a bad reaction to them in the past. Feeling sad and trying to think of my options. May have to give vegetarian a try but I am also diabetic and veggies spike my bgs. Grrr. Sorry just venting.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I am surprised that veggies spike your blood sugar. I have no issue with them. I have heard that LCHF improved labs for some, but not for others. Are you able to switch to lower fat meats, and only mono and poly fats rather than saturated to see if that would be effective? Do you exercise? Exercise can help, too. Maybe explain to your doctor the bad reaction you had to statins in the past and try a different one. I am on a statin with no bad side effects. It's an old one, not one of the newer ones that cause people so many problems. Just suggestions.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
shunsweets
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carol. I do exercise. Race walk 5 miles every day. I am thin but struggle with keeping bgs in line. On metformin but trying not to add another diabetes drug. I used Pravachol the first time and it gave me severe side effects. Which statin do you take? I am going to try cutting back my fats and see if that helps.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am on Lovastatin, which is generic for Mevacor, made by Merck I believe. I have been taking it since 2008 or before.

I know of someone else who was maintaining and following low carb. Her LDL was high, and she ended up having a heart attack. I'm not trying to scare you, just wondering if there's a connection. LC usually lowers cholesterol, I thought, and also thought that triglycerides dropped quickly on low carb. I don't know what the answer is. I take the statin because I already have heart disease and I'm afraid not to take it.

Another alternative is to google for supplements that help lower cholesterol and triglycerides.

Good luck to you.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
shunsweets
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carol. I see my doc in February so will see what he reccomends. My DH has taken Lipitor for years with no problems. I guess some just tolerate statins better than others.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I first learned in the 90's from Atkins' book, and since from other sources that triglycerides are made from carbs and sugar. Eating low-carb can lower them, although over a period of time.

I don't know my cholesterol number and don't concern myself with it. I simply strive to eat LCHF, and keep at my weight loss efforts.

I have read that during weight loss those numbers can be out of your normal range because of fat leaving fat cells and entering the bloodstream to be used as fuel or excreted.

Do doctors know this?

As always, JMHO and YMMV.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Yes, diet is very important, but there are genetic factors at play for many people, like myself, meaning eating LCHF will minimally affect your lipid profile. Having said that, I will say that eating LC should have a direct effect on your triglycerides as I've seen from personal experience. Good luck to us all!
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post
I first learned in the 90's from Atkins' book, and since from other sources that triglycerides are made from carbs and sugar. Eating low-carb can lower them, although over a period of time.

I don't know my cholesterol number and don't concern myself with it. I simply strive to eat LCHF, and keep at my weight loss efforts.

I have read that during weight loss those numbers can be out of your normal range because of fat leaving fat cells and entering the bloodstream to be used as fuel or excreted.

Do doctors know this?

As always, JMHO and YMMV.
This. I know my TRI numbers were always wonky in the beginning but 6 months in the were better and then a year better and then 18 months in, 96 lbs lost they were down to 46. I know it is why on Atkins they tell you to get them done when you start and then in 6 months.

I believe that for many diet is still the main factor in their health. Some need meds anyway. My dad is one of them with genetically yucky cholesterol levels even though he eats well and has been an athelete his whole life.
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote