Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #601
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That sounds good, handbellls.

Last night I had two quorn cutlets stuffed with guyere cheese, 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes, whole green beans and salad.
I hadn't had that type of quorn in a year or more. I had to order them cuz nobody carries them around here.
They were delicious.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #602
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I had a green chile boca burger on a thin bun and mac 'n cheese.
Tonight I'm having taco salad.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #603
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Yesterday I had all these vegies ready to go on the grill and it wouldn't light.
The broiler element in the oven is not working, either.

I ended sautéing the whole shrooms, first on the top then flipped and added the chopped garlic.
The zucchini halved I did the same; cut side first then turned them over, covered them.
I nuked the corn.

I lot more clean up than I planned for but still delicious.

I won't bother with the grill again this year....or maybe when we get to Chico.
I've been really looking forward to eggplant.

Next I'm thinking air fryer....
Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #604
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night =

quorn chicken patty w/cheese
1/2 avocado
spinach alfredo
Old 08-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #605
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

We're in Chico for a week then back to OR for final clean out and moving truck.

Dinner last night was Chipotles and man, was it good....really that's an understatement.

I had pinto beans, sofritas, fajita vegies, corn salsa as well as pico de gallo and med green salsa. Topped all that with guac and lettuce.
Yes, it was too much food but I ate it all.

Next time I'll get half scoop each of beans and sofritas.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #606
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I love Chipotle's too. I always eat the whole thing too, it's so good. The last time I had a crowd over, I made a Chipotle buffet - cooked up the rice, beans and sofritas, and also set out bowls of the toppings like cheese, sour cream, salsas etc and some pre-cooked fajita beef and chicken slices. It was a big hit with my guests. The margaritas and mojitos didn't hurt either

I found a new-to-us restaurant on a recent trip called Jason's Deli. They have a big selection of made-to-order deli sandwiches with a couple of vegetarian options but the star of the place is their salad bar. It includes stuff like roasted red pepper hummus, kalamata olives, feta cheese, with many of the salad veggies being organic. I was happy to find that they had recently opened a location about 40 minutes away. We won't mind taking a ride up there now and then, especially since there's a decent farm market out that way too.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #607
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds great, PP.
I am on a mission to find eating places with vegie options.

Incredibly there is not such thing in Chico but there are quite a few places with vegan dishes.
There's a vegan meet up group that stays on top of things and keeps an updated list.

Some of the places are chains like Chipotle which may be the reason they have these offerings.....a chain in LA or SF better get with it, right?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #608
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

It's hard around here, too. As far as chains, we do Chipotle's and Qdoba, with our favorite being...Golden Corral. They always have rice, beans, baked white and sweet potatoes, steamed cauliflower and broccoli and many other cooked veggies. Their salad bar is pretty good too. We have to watch the oil there (and even in Chipotle's).

There is a quirky vegetarian place near the city where they have a Sunday brunch that we go to sometimes. You choose one entree selection, and then help yourself to a small buffet with many different vegetarian options like rice-stuffed grapeleaves, combined salads, even some vegan cakes. It's kind of a pain to go there on Sundays when the Steelers or Pirates are playing since the area is very popular with sports bars and just across the river from the stadiums. There's also a vegan place called The Loving Hut which I think is national, kind of a woo woo place, but we never go there - all of their food is deep fried or soy meat alternatives. We have another local restaurant group that offers vegetarian options along with a regular menu but they use a lot of cheese and eggs so we have to be very careful there, and tend to avoid them. It is difficult. We really don't go out to eat very often anymore
Old 08-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #609
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

If you have a Whole Foods and a printer, you can get the Tofurkey slow-roasted "chicken" for free up until September 13. I haven't ever tried this product and usually avoid the fake meats, but might give this a try if I get to WF over the next week or so. The "chicken" is usually $3.99 but on sale 2/$4. Use the coupon from this link to get one free (you have to give your email addie to upgrade the coupon but if you don't want to do that, you can just use the lower-value coupon) You can print out both coupons from the link. You can of course use the coupon on any Tofurkey product, and they also have the deli slices on sale but not quite as much of a bargain. I think this link is okay to post here since it's not selling anything.
https://www.hopster.com/offers/tofurky/FNmULpEKWH
Old 08-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #610
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

No WF here or near us in OR. My daughter works at the one in Bellingham and I'll mention it since GD is vegan.

I am eating some fake meat which I never would've considered in the past. It is occasional since I tend to prefer the unprocessed foods but it's nice to be able to put something together that hubs and I will eat together.....like slice tofurky sausage in a pasta or TJ's soy chorizo in chili.

That Chao 'cheese' is the best thing I've eaten in a while. That was a shocker. I've only eaten the tomato/cayenne (I think that's what it is). Just a slice or two is the best snack or meal if no time.

I am planning to try some of the Gardien 'fish' or 'chicken' for the same reason; just less meat to deal with in the house if hubs likes it. He's pretty open minded if whatever it is tastes good but he does like meat.

It's on my list to make seitan.....in the IP? I hope.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #611
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I'm making a shitake broth in the Instant Pot for soba noodles tonight.
I used dry (we have a ton), soaked a little then added to the pot with plenty of water and a stick of kombu.

I set it for 10 min and am hoping the kombu doesn't totally break down but no biggie if it does.

Adding some leftover pork carnitas from TJ's to the hubs bowl then some air fried tofu chunks to mine.
Topping with some green onions and sesame seeds.

I need to add a little grated ginger to the broth.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #612
handbells
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
WOE: it's complicated
Start Date: today!
Yum!

The kids and I are going out to eat with the inlaws. We're going to Cheddar's. Not my favorite, but it's free food. I'm going to have a house salad, plain baked potato and steamed broccoli.

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!" (journal)

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
handbells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #613
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today I had 2 slices of 1 carb cinnamon toast from netrition and I had apricot and pineapple jam, no sugar added type.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #614
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Cinnamon toast sounds so good.

I made some blackberry chia jam that was really good but it doesn't last and you need to finish it within a few days.
I've been thinking about pancakes lately so may just use enough chia to make syrup.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #615
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made the strawberry chia jam a while back but yeah, it didn't keep for very long at all.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #616
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

It's perfect for carb control so very worth it but have to remember to make just a small amount that you can use up in a few days..
Old 12-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #617
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I made a couple recipes that came out delicious; Pumpkin Pie Squares from Straight Up Food. They call for dates as sweetener but I used erythritol, a T of molasses and then stevia to get it just right.

Last night's dinner was Portobello Gyros from Carrots and Flowers. I was planning to use lettuce wrap but then decided to just for the pita from TJ's. The tzatziki made from hemp hearts and tahini turned out perfect...except I reduced the garlic after reading a review. I made it in the NutriBullet so had to add a bit more liquid but by dinner time it had thickened up nicely.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #618
saltnpepper
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
WOE: veggies/lower carb
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Sounds good Jem. Do these folks have blogs, or cook books??

I need to find/make some type of veggie burger for myself. DH is t2, and eats LC. Hard to find something we both eat.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #619
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, they both have FB and blogs. Just plug in those names. Another couple I love are Hummusapian and Vegan Richa....oh, check out Clean Food Dirty Girl, too.

My hub is Omni and most of his meat comes from Trader Joe's prepared or frozen.
When I make a bean/vegie soup or stew we eat it together and then I get to eat the leftovers when he has what he likes.
It's actually a relief to have something leftover for myself.

He also likes Tofurky Italian sausage so I can use it in meals we share.
I've just found ways to make it work and his food does not appeal to me at all anymore....there's just so much more variety in the vegie world.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #620
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I made Pumpkin Quinoa Porridge from Food Babe this morning. It makes a lot and since I like hot cereal more porridgy, I thinned it out, so it made even more.

I used 1/2 can of pumpkin but could've used the whole can and bumped up the spice (I just used pumpkin pie spice). One of the reviewers suggested just that.

I also added three chopped deglet dates to the uncooked mixture which I normally wouldn't use but my weight is on the low side so I figured WTH.

This is good and worth adding to the breakfast rotation. I may even try some other quinoa porridge recipes.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #621
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

It finally occurred to me that I just don't like to eat lunch. Sure I get hungry because I just eat normal breakfast stuff that last 4 hours or so but I have no interest in making a salad, sandwich, soup.....I just want a snack like pb and an apple, hummus and a carrot, those pumpkin pie squares, etc.

I am giving up the idea of using lunch time to consume a bunch of vegies and such. A snack is satisfying and if I get a little hungry before dinner, I'll have a couple squares of dark chocolate OR maybe some vegies.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #622
Newtodiabetes
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Newtodiabetes
I am looking for the best bread that I can buy that doesn't crush my glucose numbers. Anybody with any suggestions?
Newtodiabetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #623
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I don't know about the effect on glucose, but I order bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Company.
http://www2.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=904

Their products have a lot of fiber so they end up being very low carb.
I really like the bagels. They have bread and thin sliced bread (located in the bread options) and I like the thin for toast and s/f jam. It doesn't taste anything like regular bread, but I have grown used to the taste.

I also buy smart buns from Netrition and they are zero carbs after you subtract the fiber. They are the best low carb buns I have found.

There is a recipe floating around the internet and I'm not sure if its on here, but its called Soul Bread and people rave about it. I haven't had time to try making any.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #624
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #625
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Since I'm trying to cure a couple medical issues that've been following me for a few years, I decided it was time to make a last ditch effort and give up dairy.

I had cut back so much that it wasn't too big a deal and after I was sick for a couple weeks after the colonoscopy, I had already quit coffee so no more morning latte.

So yogurt and feta were the last to go. I didn't eat those items more than a couple times weekly but I miss both.

Yesterday I decided to make tofu 'feta'. I looked at a lot of recipes and then mixed up my own brew consisting of light miso, lemon juice, ACV, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt.
I used sprouted tofu from TJ's and still pressed it even though it's firm and not too wet.
I cut it into cubes and made one layer so I wouldn't have to bother turning it.

'Bout 16 hours later, I decided to try it. I expected to hate it and spit it out BUT it turned out really good and the firm tofu really worked for the texture.

I didn't use as much salt as real feta but that's okay.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #626
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad that worked out for you.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #627
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night's dinner =

sloppy joe's made with soy butter curls on a smart bun
cucumber and tomato salad
green beans

Man, was it filling.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #628
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Are those the same as soy curls? Butler?

I find those to be really filling.

Did you use a prepared sauce?

I make a lentil sloppy joe recipe but cannot eat it on any kind of bread.....to much.
Still good, though.

TJ's has gyro meat slices that I got for the hub and for myself cooked up some Portobello slices with Worcestershire, smoked paprika and a touch of sweetener.
Wrapped them up in TJ's ww pita and topped with vegies and tahini dressing.
So good.

Today's the hub's birthday and I don't feel like braving the foul weather to go out....we'll see.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #629
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I meant to type Butler but I typed butter.

I sautéed a green onion, then added in some of the rehydrated soy curls, then added some mustard and bbq sauce, simmered it til thick and called it sloppy joes. I've always preferred my sloppy joe's this way.

I used a smart bun and made it open-faced and ate it with a knife and fork cuz otherwise, there would have been leftover bbq soy curls and I wanted to eat them up.

For the wife, it's manwich, nothing else.

Tonight, I think I'll try a stir fry or else use them like fajitas on low carb tortillas...I haven't made up my mind yet.

I like the idea of using pita bread for them...I have some lc pitas in the freezer, so that's another thought for me.

Last edited by Nigel; 01-11-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Old 01-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #630
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, I looked back at the soy curl thread and realized it took you about 10 months to finally try them.

I still consider them a fast, no fuss meal.