Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #61
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
He's had it for about 5 days but really bad for the last two days. He thinks he might feel a little better today but not much. Did they have terrible sore throats too? He had a terrible sore throat!

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #62
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Still Karen
Stats: 173 starting weight
WOE: Fast5, calorie counting
Start Date: November 8, 2016
Awww, Sandy... I feel so bad for you and your husband. You plan a beautiful relaxing trip then are stuck inside not feeling well. I hope you don't catch it. It would be nice if it is not allergies because if it is a virus and it runs its course then he'll be over it and won't have to worry about the cedar trees. Keep disinfecting and washing hands. That's all you can do. Poor guy

It has been so miserably cold these last three days that I've just been inside in a cave. Low energy, laying around reading, napping. Ugggh! Now today we are finally in the teens (yeahhh....heatwave!!) and the sun is shining so I'm doing laundry and some office work.

I'm going to run into Costco to just walk the store and get some exercise in about an hour. That's my closest big store with floor space to walk for free. I like walking at the mall but its another 10 miles in the other direction so the Costco is only 6 miles away and its a nice place to get some laps in during the winter. Sundays are usually crowded though because a lot of people shop on the weekend so I'll have to dodge a few carts but the walk will feel good.

Carolyn....nice ladies groups!!

Judy...again, so sorry about the loss of your family member. Just terrible!!!
Still Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #63
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Several friends here had the same thing....felt horrible, bad throat, then bad coughing. The dr called it a virus. Hope he's better.

Karen...I wish we had a Costco.

Worked in the nursery, one little one fell asleep when I was holding her so I got my baby fix. So sweet.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #64
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Judy, that sounds like what he has. Sneezing, head congestion and then horrible coughing. His rib cage area is soooooo tender from all the coughing. Does that sound like what your family had? How long did it take to kick it?
Actually only 4 or 5 days, then ended abruptly.
All back to normal like a light switch.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #65
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Ah, Carolyn, I was also a baby sleeping bag yesterday. Irresistible!

Yes, Sandy, both had sore throats, but not HORRIBLE sore throats. They all think this is different than the run-of-the-mill cold, partly because it ended so abruptly.

Enjoy your heat wave, Karen!

Lori you are determined! Good job, you!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #66
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

I'm jealous of your baby holding time. I love holding babies and my grandchildren are past that stage. All of my friends adult kids live far away so no holding there.

We have CostCo and Sam's Club. CostCo is wayyyyyyyyy nicer in my opinion. Got a nice walk in and it was packed with customers. Glad I didn't have a cart full of stuff.

Bracing for 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #67
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

I'm hoping today is going to be great! The cold weather should be out of here and hopefully DH will wake up feeling even better than yesterday. At least well enough that he feels like getting outside. He still has the cough but from what I hear that lingers on for quite a while. He has cough medicine for that so at least he's getting some sleep. Our friends had some from last month when they were sick that they brought with them and we're trying to get his refilled from last month when he was sick so we don't use all of theirs. I remember the good old days when you could go get Cheracol D at the pharmacy and just sign for it. Not anymore, thanks to all the drug abusers. Now all the cough syrup with codeine is prescription only.
I'll be happy if he is feeling better and if the sun is shining!!

Food can wait!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #68
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

DH still has a cough but it's just nothing. Only in the morning and night, before bed.
I have given him Mucinex cough in the evening, but only occasionally.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #69
CarolynF

Hi ladies..

Allergy shot done, exercise done, library done...Doing laundry..

Hmm..We might have some exciting news in the romance department for ds..He told us
that he going to ask Sarah's dad if he can marry Sarah..Dh told him that he needed to
talk to Sarah first (which he of course had done)..So...better serious with these 10 pounds..
I told him to be generous with the ring and take her to pick it out..(In case he didn't know
that)..

Gosh, I hope I don't get the cough..Dh was slightly coughing..so we slept separately..No one
wants that..It does last a while they say..Hope Fred has a fun day.

Judy...what is the weather going to do this weekend? Ice storm or what??? Ekkk.
Of course, Karen, lives in the north, so it is nothing to her..

Lisa..Do you get bad weather, too?

SOOOOO happy "Lenny" is better. He may be a fussy cat..Keep us posted, Cindy.

Hugs all around.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #70
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Carolyn I am just keeping my fingers crossed they're over-hyping this as much as they usually do.
But ice storms here usually bring power outages.

In 2007 we all escaped to Kansas where electricity was still flowing.

Oh gosh, this IS exciting news, Carolyn!! You will have laser-like focus on those 10 pounds, I know!

I do wonder what Karen's forecast is this weekend, as well as Lori's. Sandy I hope you stay tropical!
We have a lot of time for things/forecasts to change before this weekend. A few days of really nice temperatures ahead.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #71
CarolynF

I think we are having ice Friday/Sat/Sun. Might have Dh bring the wood for the fireplace closer to the house.

Very excited for Brett/Sarah. Not sharing yet with others until it is a done deal.

Made a chuck roast in mt Instantpot. Put an onion sliced as well as a cup of beef broth. I will blend up the cooked broth for some gravy. I did use the Sauté button, the the slow cook on high

Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #72
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

How long did you cook the chuck roast? How many pounds?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #73
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Hi Ya, just checking in.

Carolyn.....exciting about your son!!!!! Yep, that is motivation for peeling off the pounds. You'll do it. How old is your son? Does he live with you or on his own? And did I hear you say you have a daughter or am I mixing that up with Judy's daughter. I haven't really gotten the lay of the land with everyone's children and grandchildren yet.

For the record I have two grown children. A married daughter, age 38, an oncology nurse who has three sons, my darling grandchildren, ages 10, almost 8, and almost 5. Then my son, age 37, lives with us because he is end stage with Cystic Fibrosis, but is very stable. He lived independently for about 8 years but then moved home with his dad and I eleven years ago when his lung function took a dive and he could no longer work. We remodeled our basement so he has 900 square feet of living space complete with, kitchenette, 3/4 bath, bedroom, family room, and exercise room. It's like his own little apartment. A very good arrangement for his situation.

We're getting 4-6 inches of snow now and tonight, freezing rain predicted a couple hours in the morning then more snow. Actually we are under our snow quota this year which is weird. We only have about 3 inches on the ground, now adding this five-ish inches tonight but normally by now we have at least two feet on the ground, many years we have as much as 6 feet by now on the ground. So its being a very tame northern winter. I agree with Judy....I don't like ice. It can snow until its up to the rafters and we can deal with that but ice....unt-uh

Doing better with food.....window open, window closed....yeahhhhh.

Lori....you rock with all that walking !!!

Worked today in the office, grant research, getting ready to start working on taxes (blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh)......boring!!! Hopefully going to town tomorrow to run some errands if the snow and ice aren't too bad.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #74
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Oh and I just want to thank all of you again for letting me be in this group. It helps me a lot to come here, especially in the evening when I'm the most tempted to curl up with a bag of chips or popcorn. Instead I am learning a new habit of clicking on the computer keys to chat a bit, and read a bit to get my head totally in the game of staying on task with the closed window. It's so positive here. I just can't thank you enough. This support is soooooooooooo helpful....and....you all are such sweet ladies.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #75
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh Karen - I didn't know you had a child with CF! God bless you and him. 37 is fantastic and that he is stable is fantastic!! I'm glad he is with you. And how wonderful you made him a living area for his own. Bless ALL of you.

Karen make sure you daughter doesn't get on this forum - we'll ask her lots of questions!

I married quite late in life, about 20 years ago. My DH had 2 kids and they became my kids, thankfully. Their mother was an incorrigible alcoholic. I don't think I've even said anything to this board, but she's been sober for about a year now. She also moved to where we live, so she's with our kids/grandkids. Makes sense. Was an annoyance. I am constantly praying for maturity and grace....

DD's FIL died, I know I told you all, and we spent another entire day today shopping for a couple of things for her to wear for a viewing tonight and the service tomorrow.
My 88-yr-old mother is going to go to the service with us, hoping it will bring some love to DD or her DH or his mother. This is such a shock to them.
We've asked DD's bio-mom to sit with. You know, when these huge things happen all pretenses are put aside.

DD knows if 3-yr-old Maddox gets itchy he'll have 3 of us to take him out and if baby Milo cries, he'll have a backup. LOL My mom is the only safe one! LOL

Karen this is a great group - I hope you'll find the success you deserve.
Check around the site. It's fun for me to check the "Low Carb Recipe Health & Suggestions" area, also.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #76
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Karen, you are so sweet. We certainly aren't a rigid group here and no judgment either. I think that's one of the reasons we've all grown so close as friends. Some of us have met but were friends here long before meeting. We're happy to have you with us!
Ok, a little about me.

I've been married to my HS sweetheart (we actually met in 6th grade) for almost 49 years. We have 2 children, a DD and a DS. They each have 2 children, DDs and DDs. That makes 4 grandchildren for us. Our oldest DGS has 2 adorable little boys who are 5 and 4, our great-grandsons. They all live within 20 minutes of us, which we know is a blessing and are so thankful for. My dad lives about 5 minutes from me and when I'm home I'm very involved in his day-to-day life. Even while I'm away I talk to him daily and handle all his bills etc. My little brother gets to handle the real life day-to-day stuff while I'm gone playing. My DH just retired a little over a year ago so this is our first whole winter getaway. It's been a dream of ours for years and this year it came true!
Ok, enough about me!

Yesterday was a beautiful day after 3 horrible weather and sick days!! DH is feeling much better! I'm thankful it's not the cedar allergy!! But hate that he got sick.

I'm still holding my own on my weight. I've bumped up out of my weight window twice since we left home but only for one day at a time. If I can keep it between 140-145 I'll be quite happy!!

We're either going to go to the beach or down to the port to check on a shrimp tour today. Maybe both! Or we might change our minds and just hang out at the pool again. I don't want DH to overdo it and have a setback! That's one of the joys of retirement, you can change your mind and your plans at whim!! My hardest thing is remembering what day it is. I've spent the last 16 months thinking every day is the weekend! Lol.

Food can wait!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #77
CarolynF

Good morning!

I cooked the roast on high for about 4 hours, then turned it down to low for an hour. It was 2.5 pounds. I got it at Sprouts when I was there a while back. The price was $12! But it didn't shrink much at all. The lid for the instant pot is very secure compared to my other crockpots, so I think it does a better job cooking. Commercial over.

Oh, Karen. My friend at church has a CF grandson who is 20. He gets around fine, is in between jobs, but smart as a whip. Did they ever consider a lung transplant??? I saw your weather coming in......

Going to the store and buy some stuff for soup and chili. That chicken recipe looked good on FB, so might buy the stuff for that.

Glad Fred is better. Time to have more outside fun!! I bet the shrimp is amazing down there.

Thank the Lord the kids' mom is sober now. It is hard on everyone. But I'm sure the kids are still cautious.

Gorgeous day today...for winter..exercise...my special contacts came in and I will get them today. I'm hoping they will work wonderfully...I didn't ask the price. I had new lenses put in my glasses and kept the frames. I added the darkening part. $340! People on Medicaid get one free pair of glasses a year.

Wel,, better go walk at the gym. have a good day.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #78
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn, I forgot to tell you how excited I am about Brett and Sarah!!! And I agree with Judy, nothing like a major event to get you laser focused on the task at hand! I'm so happy for them and for you!!

Food can wait!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #79
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

So glad Fred is so much better!! I'm with Carolyn in imagining how good the shrimp is down there. Man I'd eat that about twice a day.

Service in a couple of hours, then luncheon at the church, then military burial at Ft. Gibson. That's also where my dad is.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #80
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Whew, so much going on with all of us.

Judy, I'm with you and your family in prayer today. To lose someone so quickly, without warning, totally turns your world upside down. They are going to need your compassion, cheerfulness, babysitting hours, and nourishing crockpot's full of food to get through all this sadness. I'm sure you are a great comfort to many of them. I totally understand the love you have for your daughters. Some come by the womb and some come into our lives because God places them in our path. I have two children-of-the-heart, both had CF, now in heaven. Those kids were abandoned by their parents and we met 30 years ago in the hospital where over a short period of time they loved us and we loved them (we were all in the hospital 4-6 months of every year together, home away from home). After our son was born with CF and he was so incredibly ill we decided to not have more children of our own but I always wanted more children. It was a heartache for a few years. Then God brought those two children into our lives and suddenly everything felt complete. I don't even know how we would have survived the heartaches of the CF life without them. Together we were all able to care for one another, love one another, and make the best of a difficult situation. They have both been gone 19 & 20 years now. They both died within 13 months of each other. It's been a long 20 years without them. .....I just put that together that when you were getting married I was kissing my kids goodbye. 1996 & 1997, I think your memories of those years are sweeter than mine. So glad for you and the family you gained. (not looking for sympathy, its just the way things are/were...life isn't always fair as in the experience your daughter's family is experiencing today.)

Sandy....awwww, I can also relate to your story about marrying your high school sweetheart. I married the boy next door. He is five years older than me so we were not high school sweethearts but he went off to college and when he came home I had just graduated from high school. We always knew each other and even sang together in church choir. One day I rode my bicycle by his house, he was doing some lawn work, looked up and told his mother "Wow, the neighbor girl grew up", and that was it. He called, I was totally surprised but had nothing else going on so I said yes, and it was nearly love at first date. We married 18 months later and have been married 39 and a half years. Still best friends after all this time. I there is nothing quite like growing up together. And our kids grew up with all the grandparents across the road from each other. Fun! ~~~~So glad your husband is feeling better. Enjoy the shrimp. And NICE weather !!!! ~~~~~ and you give me hope that I can get my weight back down to your 140-145 window. I'd be happy there even though my best weight was always in the 126-130 range. How did I ever let this weight get so out of control

Carolyn....Awww, you have a friend who is a CF mom; now you have two. Hug her for me when you see her next. We CF mom's are a special club understanding the in's and out's in a way no one else can. I'm glad to hear her son is doing well. And yes, actually my son is worked up for a lung transplant, has been in the transplant computer for 6 years. It's kind of a long story but 6 years ago my son was down to 95 pounds (now 145 pounds) and was totally losing the fight. I was having trouble staying at my job because of my chronic back pain so that year when my son's doctors wanted to work him up for transplant I left my job, thinking we were probably spending the last few weeks or months with him if he didn't get new lungs. Well with me home I was able to help him with his medications and diet routines and he actually improved enough to not be eligible for the transplant, which was a good thing. So he was still worked up for transplant which is a huge 3-4 day set of tests where they test every organ in your body to see if you are strong enough to get through a successful transplant. So that is done and his information is in the regional transplant computer system. He is routinely re-tested to keep information up to date. When he gets worse and needs the transplant he will be able to be listed with a single phone call and will go to the top of the list. That's how its done now. The miracle is that he has lasted these 6 years. He has 27% lung function (you have to be 30% or lower to qualify for a lung transplant) but he is still not dependent upon home oxygen, which is a complete mystery. As long as he doesn't move too much he can breathe. So he does some volunteer work to keep engaged and we wait for the day when that oxygen tank gets added to his routine. When that day happens he will be listed for a transplant. That is the plan. I never dreamed I'd see him be 37 but actually I have hope that he may outlive his dad and me with new lungs. ~~~~And the rest of the story of my chronic back pain is that I had that car accident the year before he was born but then spent 4-6 months collectively of every year after that sleeping upright in a wooden rocking chair for the next 8-10 years. Back in those early years they didn't have all the cots and things in the hospital for parents. I was lucky to get an extra pillow or blanket. So I spent my days and nights sitting in hospital rooms on those hard chairs. I already had a back injury and the chair sitting/sleeping made my back a wreck. I always had back pain but it was more like a tired back then. But as the years went by it got worse and worse until now I'm a complete mess. But what's a mom to do?? I'd do it all over again. So now you know the whole story of why I'm so challenged with this weight gain and the inability to exercise like I did years ago. (again, not looking for sympathy, its just the way it is.) ~~~~~ Oh Carolyn, have fun getting out in the nice weather today. We got ice last night and it is snowing on top of it. No one is exercising outside today in my neck of the woods.

I had plans to run errands today in town but with the weather being what it is I'm staying put. More office work and I'm reading a delightful book, another one by Sandra Dallas called The Persian Pickle Club. A cup of hot chocolate and my book and the day just got better.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #81
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Huh...I wonder if you low carb gals would like what I just found.

A new Campbell's canned soup called "Well Yes". I hardly ever buy canned soups, make my own, because they are usually loaded with MSG and terrible preservatives but my grocery store had a display right as I came in the door of this new soup so I read the label and picked up two varieties. Yummy!!

8 oz serving:
100 calories
fat 2 g
carb 12 g
protein 8 g
sodium 640 mg

Chicken stock, chicken meat, great northern beans, egg noodles with Quinoa flour,(wheat four, egg whites, quinoa flour) Diced tomatoes in tomato juice, carrots, celery, fennel, water, onions, tomato puree, potato starch, salt, EVOO, carrageenan, parsley & sage. - Chicken meat with no added antibiotics, no preservatives. Heat and serve.

Really good on my snowy winter day inside. I had the whole can for lunch, 200 calories and stuffed to the max!!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #82
CarolynF

Hi ladies...

Got my new contacts..And I have to use a special solution with them..Clear Care..She made one out of one material and the other out of another material to see which is more comfortable..I love my eye doctor..She is an OU grad..I can see really well, except for the
up close and then I have my readers...We shall see..Gradually working up to wearing them all day.

Praying for your family, Judy..Funerals are so hard..the time up to the funeral is even harder, I think.

Gosh, now I want shrimp..

Thanks for the headsup on the soup..I'll hit WMart tomorrow.

I am a bit familiar with "transplants" as our friend had a kidney transplant..Lots to go
through, but your son is young and the rest of his body is in good shape, which helps
a lot..I"m sure they want his lung muscles to keep working and not be totally dependent
on oxygen..We have a dear 71 year old friend with Pulmonary Fibrosis..He is totally on
oxygen and the docs put him up for an evaluation for a lung transplant as that is his only hope. They haven't heard yet if he is being qualified.

Thanks, Sandy....I do need a big focus..I started LCing when Beth was getting married in
02..It was panic time...LOL..

Hugs to all of you..

Old 01-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #83
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

yeahhhh, you can see ! Glad everything is to your liking.

So sorry about your friend with Pulmonary Fibrosis, not fun. 71 is usually past the age for consideration of transplant. I wouldn't give up hope but I'd be braced to hear the word "no". At our clinic 60 is about the top of the age for acceptance, mainly because as we age there is greater risk of other organs not being strong enough to make it through the year long recovery period, weaker immune systems etc, and because there are not enough donor organs they tend to get offered to the younger crowd believing that they will hopefully live more years with the "gift" of life. But, if the type, match and size of the organs are not a match for anyone else and your friend is listed then there is always a chance he might get the call. Often if there is someone in need that is a match at a nearby region and they feel they can get the organs flown to them in time they will give them to a younger person in a neighboring region. It's all in God's hands no matter who you are or what your age is.

Snow is stopped and I was able to get us shoveled out. The ice was prickly instead of slick so scooping wasn't too bad. Thankfully in Minnesota we usually have fluffy snow, not the heavy wet stuff. My back can usually keep up with the fluffy stuff and it is good exercise for me as long as I don't do it for too long. So yeahhhh, I burned a few calories today scooping, then came in and hit the Tylenol bottle.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #84
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Well we didn't do either of the things I said we'd do today. Instead we went to Port Isabel and ate shrimp and oysters for lunch with our friends. Then we drove over to Padre Island and looked around. We stopped at an electronics store on the way home for our friend to pick up a tool to use on his motorhome. They're still not having any luck finding anybody to fix their fridge. I'm afraid it's beyond fixing and needs replaced. $5K!!!!! Yikes!!

Judy, I'm sure DD and her DHs family appreciate you and Bowe and all the support you give them. So sad and so sudden. My BIL's memorial service is a week from Saturday. My sister seems to be doing ok. A brand new grandbaby, born 3 months ago at 28 weeks, who just came home last Thursday is helping a lot. She's been sick so hasn't been able to actually been around the baby but she's been keeping the 3 year old busy for the exhausted parents.

Karen, I had a cousin who had CF. She was the sweetest girl and such a joy to be around. She always wanted to do everything we all did and she usually did, but then paid for it when we were all done playing. She made it to high school graduation before going home to heaven. Her parents had 4 children. The first one had CF and died very young. The 2nd one was fine, the 3rd one was the cousin I mentioned and then a 4th who was fine. They decided at that point they weren't going to try for a 5th. It was like it skipped every other child. The oldest one was a boy and the 3rd one was a girl. Thank God they've come a long way in the treatment of CF in the last 60+ years! Bless your heart, I can feel the love you have for all your children in your words and my heart aches for you.
I love you and your DH's love story!!

Food can wait!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #85
CarolynF

Right....there are only 2 places that do transplants over 70 and St. Louis is one,...they live there, but it is definitely in Gods hands.

How is Fred? My friend Cheryl has had this a week, but today she stayed in bed. She is a nurse, too.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #86
CarolynF

I knew your day would involve shrimp, Sandy. Are your KCity kids gearing up for the ice storm??? Supposed to start Friday.

Did you say 5k to buy a new fridge for your friend's motor home?? Yikes. How about a Yeti ice chest??

Wow, Sandy, 2 kids dying of CF...is it genetic?

Sarah's mom is going to drive her up to Clinton on Friday am for the Sat wedding. Sarah is the maid of honor...the bride wasn't too pleased that she was coming Friday instead of Thursday. Sarah was shocked that her friend turned into a Bridezilla. Lolol.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #87
Still Karen
Senior LCF Member

Sandy, your day sounded so lovely and relaxing, well maybe not relaxing because it was moving but I think I'm just thinking about all that sunshine, being with friends, eating yummy food, shopping....my kind of relaxing.

Wow, so CF was in your family too. Yes, Carolyn it is genetic. Both parents have to have the CF gene then there is a 25% chance of having a child with CF. Most people in our generation didn't even know they had the genes but now there is testing for it. And Sandy you are so right. So many of the CFers do what well kids/adults do (fun, school, college, sleep overs, anything) and pay for it but they usually learn to deal with it and I have found the majority of them to be the sweetest people and the bravest people I've ever had the privilege to know. Thanks for your sweet remarks and I am sorry for your family's loss of your cousin. And I'm ok. It has been a part of my life for the entire 37 years. Our son had trouble from day one, surgery for a blockage in his intestines at 18 hours old, 280 days in the hospital his first year. When we got to 200 days in the hospital our second year we stopped counting and realized that this was going to be the rest of our life so what is very abnormal for other "normal" families is "normal" for us. We just hang an IV bag and have the best time we can.

I'm with Carolyn....5K for a fridge.....eeks!!! Why are they so expensive? Heck, RV refrigerators usually are not even very big. My parents have a nice RV and that fridge is like a college fridge. My parents took one of the chairs out and put in a small freezer. They do a lot of fishing and also room for bagged fruits and veggies etc.

oooh, got to watch out for those bridezilla's.....not fun for anyone. And I have to ask you ladies, were any of you bridezilla's? I didn't ever know anyone in my generation like that but I sure see it in many of the young women today. They can really get their hooky claws out. It seems like they are more interested in living some fantasy than taking a sacred vow and sharing it with people they love. I don't even enjoy going to weddings anymore because I have seen such unbecoming behavior from people I wouldn't have ever expected it from. ~~~well, that was a downer subject wasn't it?

ok...I've been on here a lot today. You might not see me for a couple days while I catch up on the work I should have been doing today.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #88
CarolynF

Went to WM...got lots of soup stuff and some ribs to put in my instant pot..

Girls...I have to tell you this story..I posted it on the diabetes forum..As some of you know,
dd's inlaws live in our town. He is diabetic..spent time in the dementia unit, etc..vomits
willy nilly, and his body odor stinks...and breath (Connie says). So, we are talking about this yesterday and I decided to look up body odor and diabetes and ketoacidosis pops up like a red flag..He has many of the symptoms..confusion, bad smell, etc..So this am I got some
keto sticks for him and told Connie that he might have a ketone problem and to check.
She admits his blood sugars are way up there..Oh well...I said if he is spilling ketones, he
needs to get his insulin adjusted..They eat tons of carbs..tons...I thought you would keel
over with ketoacidosis, but maybe he when he gives himself the next dose of insulin, it goes down. So, if it is a sugar problem, then they need to change their diet...He eats carbs all the time..I can't understand such craziness...I'll keep you posted...

Judy, does Bowe check for ketones??? When Alex was diabetic, they recommended if sugar
was too high, check for ketones..(luckily I never had to that with little Alex).

Got my new contacts in..Will time myself for 4 hours...

Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #89
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Karen, I know you are not asking for sympathy, but I am just dumbfounded.
I am so happy to think of the power of God and your having two other CF kids, not from your body but from your heart. I am so sad for the loss, but am so happy and grateful for your love for them. And so glad you still have your son!

DD kept 3-yr-old Maddox home from school today. He was obviously over-stimulated from all the goings on, so she came over and we all went for a long walk with baby Milo, champion sleeper, , and threw tennis balls and worked out some energy.

Carolyn we don't test ketones for Bowe. He eats mostly low carb and his blood sugar is well in check. If his blood sugar were high, that's when you check for ketones. I am sorry hearing of Beth's in-law's eating patterns. It would eat me up.

Just as an aside, Maddox eats mostly VERY low carb and sometimes has a breath that smells like alcohol - he is in ketosis a lot. That little kid also has a six-pack! He's so healthy.

Interested to hear what kind of contacts you have and how you like them.

Karen I was not a bridezilla. I would have been happy having only a few people in our church and going home. My mother was more animated to have more people involved - and I'm glad she did. I didn't know at the time. But I just said "okay" to whatever she wanted to do. LOL

Neither my step-daughter nor daughter-in-law were bridezillas.
Now, I have to say, I am mightily amused by hearing stories of other bridezillas! LOL

Karen, I am astounded with back problems you can shovel snow! Good on you!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #90
CarolynF

Good morning...

I'm not sure what kind of contacts they are. I'll ask..they are gas permeables. My eyes are still fighting allergies, so they aren't totally comfortable. I go back next week...

Meeting today. Our little sweet speaker is coming from Arkansas!! Two hours driving, but the roads are clear today.

I knew Bowe was really good on his plan, but David is terrible. He has no plan...that is the problem. The ADA recommends 30 carbs a meal, and a snack, which is horrible, but better than what he is eating.. oh well...you can't say much.

Gotta feed the birds....