Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
Vegicarb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Vegicarb
WOE: Lo-carb Veggi
Start Date: October 1st
YES!!

Google "Califlower Pizza" !! Try the think crust version and sub the cheeze with veggie-cheese + egg w/ eggwhite! SUPERGOOD!!!

Below is a good list of subs

Califlower/ Rice...Pizza dough
Tofu Shirataki/Noodles
Truvia/Sugar
Flaxmilk/Milk
Salad Spritzers/Salad Dressing
Egg White/Egg
Veggie Burger/Burger
Plain Greek Yogurt (w/truvia)/ Yogurt
Sea-Veggies Blk Pepper/Most snacks
Almond Flower/Flower

Still adding.....
Vegicarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #32
MargD
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/114/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegicarb View Post
Google "Califlower Pizza" !! Try the think crust version and sub the cheeze with veggie-cheese + egg w/ eggwhite! SUPERGOOD!!!

Below is a good list of subs

Califlower/ Rice...Pizza dough
Tofu Shirataki/Noodles
Truvia/Sugar
Flaxmilk/Milk
Salad Spritzers/Salad Dressing
Egg White/Egg
Veggie Burger/Burger
Plain Greek Yogurt (w/truvia)/ Yogurt
Sea-Veggies Blk Pepper/Most snacks
Almond Flower/Flower

Still adding.....
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Last week I made vegetarian lasagne with Yves ground crumbles and it was delicous!!
I served it with a salad.
I made my own sauce too. It turned out so good, I had 3 meals of it...it might should have made 4 servings though. lol

I've decided that I like the Yves ground better than any of the other ones I have tried, and I've tried a lot of them over the years. The best part is that I can get it at walmart. Yeah!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #34
Eieio
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 160/146/140
WOE: IF goal is to JUDDD
Start Date: Nov 29 15
Thank u Lisa

And etc.
Looking for no meal recipes. Found some here.
I m not low carb per say.
Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #35
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
I don't know that it's high protein, but truly traditional french onion soup does not use beef stock, and it's deliriously good. You don't have to add any alcohol, but I like it with brandy. Top with mozzarella or provolone or if you have the funds, gruyere. I could make a meal out of it with a salad with bleu cheese and maybe a slice of garlic toast (15 grams).
Google: French Onion Soup Michael Ruhlman
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #36
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for the suggestion.

I love French onion soup, but hardly ever make it.
Mostly I don't make it cuz I want that crusty bread with it.

Welcome to the forum.

I am on a veggie burger quest...going to try a series of recipes and see what happens. I won't post until I'm done.
Most of the time, I just buy boca or bean burgers.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-25-2014 at 11:42 AM..
Old 06-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #37
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I don't know that it's high protein, but truly traditional french onion soup does not use beef stock, and it's deliriously good. You don't have to add any alcohol, but I like it with brandy. Top with mozzarella or provolone or if you have the funds, gruyere. I could make a meal out of it with a salad with bleu cheese and maybe a slice of garlic toast (15 grams).
Google: French Onion Soup Michael Ruhlman
The recipe says to caramelize the onions for 4 hours, but I only did 2, and it was really good. Also, unless you have an heirloom crockpot (which run cooler than the new ones), you can't do it that way. I tried. The lowest setting is 140 fahrenheit, which is too high. It will burn the onions. It's best to do this while you do housework or peruse the interwebs or watch a movie. And then--delicious dinner!

Nigel, could you do some kind of low-carb bread or just put the cheese on the soup? It's too good to pass up.

Last edited by Food Lady; 06-25-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #38
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, probably. I haven't been cooking a lot lately, just the same ole same ole. I need to change up my routine a bit.

I go for soups more in the winter than the summer cuz where I live, it likes to get over 100 degrees a lot of the time.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #39
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I grew up in the desert; I hear you. I'm now in Wisconsin. When I left work at 9:30 tonight it was very warm and humid, and now it's cooled off to 72, with a "real feel" of 69. That's typical. My mom is still in SoCal, and her unique location allows a cooling off at night oftentimes, too. Of course there (inland--Riverside), the house radiates stored heat all night. We don't get that here, so soup for dinner isn't unheard of in summer. And I have totally had french onion with no bread. In fact, serving a salad alongside sounds good. I'd use red leaf with bleu cheese dressing and walnuts on it. And of course I'd need a glass of wine.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #40
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I loved chicken tacos, so I do corn tortillas (9 net grams each) I fry in coconut oil, Quorn "chicken" filets (5 gm each) browned in my cast-iron skillet and chopped up, salsa (maybe 2 net carbs per tablespoon), cheese (usually cheddar, but queso quesadilla if I bother to get it), sour cream or greek yogurt, and lettuce. I will usually have 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetarian refried beans with them. After that, I'm full. I can get away with dessert, too, most likely some kind of chocolate cinnamon concoction. I aim for up to 50 grams per meal, but sometimes it's only 30. If you don't want to do tortillas at all, make a taco salad with all the stuff. Yuuuuum.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #41
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Here's another Quorn "chicken" idea for the toaster oven: Preheat it to 400 F. Line the tray with foil and brush that liberally with olive oil. Lay the filets down and spoon mayo on them and spread all over their tops. Sprinkle liberally with parmesan and a little onion powder or minced onion. Bake them for around 20 mins. You don't need to defrost them first, but do temp the inside of one to make sure it hits 165 F. I like to serve one with steamed broccoli or some other veggie with sea salt and a slice of low-carb garlic toast or leftover pasta alfredo. If you keep your pasta to 1/4 cup, that's only 10 carbs. It's a great dinner with a glass of flavored seltzer in a wine glass. I find elegance makes me feel more satisfied with what I eat.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #42
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the quorn ideas. I actually do a similar chicken parmesan with mayo and canned parmesan cheese and it turns out good.

I like the chicken taco idea...I will have to do that. A lot of times I make what I call squash fajitas...just sauté strips of yellow squash, onion, and red bell peppers together and put in an lc tortilla with some refried beans. Not bad.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #43
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
I made such a good dish today I had to share--lowcarb mexican cauli-rice. I stirfried cauliflower rice, peppers, onions, and boca crumbles in a little avocado oil, added Herdez passila chile cooking sauce.

If you are not familiar with the Herdez cooking sauces, take a look--they are great and many of them are lower carb.

Anyhow, stirfried that all together, topped it with chopped jalapeno, avocado and cilantro. VERY filling and very delicious.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #44
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I like the idea of adding the crumbles.

I only use Herdez salsa verde and it was way too salty so I never bought another of their products.
I'll look for the cooking sauces.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #45
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
Has any one tried> Beyond meat/ ? They say very good and close to real meat.
{Soy base?
My choice is Morning Star brand. I like keeping those on hand. But still like to make own.
The only thing that i have a problem with and that is> Not knowing calaries. That is importion for me.That is why I get light soups. and why i just buy veggie burgers.
Kinda in a hard place
But I do get bean burgers and veggies b. When I go out.
wraped in lettuce leafs.

hope more posting here.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #46
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't like Beyond Meat. It was very tough. YMMV
Old 11-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #47
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
This is a recipe from olivetomato that I started making a few years ago and it is delicious.
I can't remember what tomato product she used but I use whatever I have on hand.

Several medium size zucchini. Trim the end and make a slice lengthwise being careful not to cut all the way through and stopping just short of the end.

Thinly slice garlic cloves and stuff the crevice with the slices. I find the best way to do this is when making the slit, twist the knife slightly and push the garlic slice in continuing down the length of the zucch.

Pour some tomato (sauce, diced, crushed) in a pan then drizzle in EVOO, place the zucchs on top then rotate them so they are coated with the EVOO.

Grind on some pepper, sprinkle with oregano. Bake at 350 for 45 min.

The tomato product will roast and dehydrate so if it's salted, no salt needed AND you may top with feta to serve....which is salty.

You can go to her site for exact measurements but I just put it together. You can't go wrong.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #48
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
These are all LOWCARB dishes:

Baked Spinach Casserole (Lowcarb)

This is an entree if you eat lc vegetarian and I have portioned it out in very large pieces, so you could easily halve each and make it a side dish! Also, I tend to use ingredients that will lower the calorie count, sometimes sacrificing the carb level since I eat a few more net carbs than most people .. so if the nutrient values don't rock your world, play around with it some - you can sub whole eggs for the eggbeaters I have in there, sour cream or whole yogurt for the lowfat yogurt, etc etc etc. All that said, this is one of my faves of all time! And! it is always the first dish to be eaten whenever I have brought it to a party or a potluck .. it is my go-to dish for those functions so that there'll be something both vegetarian and lowcarb for me to eat (but I have to quickly grab a slice before it is gone!)

8 big servings

3 - 10 oz pkges frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
3 - 4 oz cans of mushroom slices -- drained
4 whole large eggs
2 cups eggbeaters
3/4 cup lowfat yogurt
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups Hunt's Tomato Sauce
16 oz shredded mozzarella
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoon basil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12x16 baking pan with cooking spray.

Beat eggs with a fork then stir in all the spices, the yogurt and the parmesan cheese.

Mix well then stir in the spinach and mushrooms.

Spoon into the prepared pan and tap to settle into an even layer.

Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes then spread the sauce on top and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

Let sit 15 minutes before cutting the casserole!

Calories 265, Net Carbs 7.4

Spinach, Leek and Feta Quiche (Lowcarb)

This is a recipe I converted to vegetarian. The original recipe was posted by Jennifer Eloff given to her by her Mother in Law, Kay, in South Africa and it rocks. See the original recipe here, and the directions/ingredients for the nut crust which I left out:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post13150107

My version leaves out the bacon, nut crust, and half the parmesan cheese. Substitutions are plain yogurt for the sour cream, and replacing some of the whole eggs with egg whites because those are standard items in my cupboard, and they help lower the total calorie count per serving so I can serve it with other yummy things.

My nine year old objected when I suggested that my older dd (also vegetarian) have the last two pieces the next night when the others have steak, lol!!! So it looks like I don't get another piece. It was a big hit!!!

Ingredients

* 11 oz Leeks (I measured one very large leek!)
* 1 10 oz pkge of Chopped Spinach (frozen)
* 3 Large Eggs
* 3 large Egg Whites
* 1 8 oz pkge Neufchatel 1/3 Less Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
* 1 container Plain Lowfat Yogurt (140 cal per cup)
* 4 oz Feta Cheese
* 1/4 cup Parm Cheese
* 4 Pam Cooking Spray

Directions

Start by spraying a cake pan with PAM spray to have ready for the quiche and set the oven to 350°F.

Cook leeks in PAM spray over medium heat until soft. Squeeze liquid out of spinach and add to leeks. In food processor or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese. Add yogurt; process. Add eggs one at a time, while processing, until smooth. Stir in feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture over vegetables; stir to combine well. Now pour the mixture in to your oiled pan.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 50 minutes, or until set. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Nutritional Count per Serving (6 slices)

Calories 251
Total Fat 16.93g
Total Carbohydrate 7.31g
...Dietary Fiber -1.48g
...Yogurt exception -2g
Net Carbohydrate 3.83g
Protein 15g
Notes:

Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana (Lowcarb)

12-16 oz eggplant (one nice sized eggplant)
1T olive oil
garlic salt
dried basil
A Cast Iron Frying Pan
.33 cup Tomato Puree (in can)
2 oz mozzarella
1T dry parmesan cheese
Frank's Hot Sauce

I ignore the old foodie way to prep eggplant. I never find it bitter AT ALL - so I dispense with the salt step.

What I do. Put 1T olive oil in cast iron frying pan. Slice up between 12 oz-16 oz of eggplant, then halve the slices into half-moons or quarters depending on how huge they are.

Throw them in the pan, stove on high. Sprinkle with garlic salt and dried basil. Let em cook a little bit, then flip over (do not worry about doing this evenly, getting the spices everywhere or anything like that. it does not make any difference in the end result, lol!). Now cover with a lid so they can steam while they cook.

Flip 'em over every time they smell like they are burning or whenever you remember (You are not frying them, but blackening them campfire-style roasty eggplant.). When they are soft - after a few minutes - turn them out onto a plate, throw on some pureed tomato, some grated parmesan cheese and some mozzarella (remember: you have already seasoned with the garlic salt and basil).

I then zap in the micro until the cheese melts (1min40secs in my micro). Liberally shake on the Frank's Hot Sauce (original) ... it is a very important ingredient giving both heat and a peppery flavor ..

And voila! Dinner! Now I eat a very big portion, so you may find you are just fine with 9-10 oz of the eggplant. I sometimes adjust the amount depending on how many carbs I did that day, and at one point was using even less tomato puree too for that reason.

The other day I was out of cheese and considered subbing in an ounce cream cheese and mixing it with the tomato puree .. I think that or ricotta would be nice too ...

SisterTzu's (highly-rated!!!!) Homemade Burger Crumbles (Lowcarb)

1 cup textured vegetable protein
1/4 cup ground flax (I used light seeds)
1/4 cup chia seeds (ground in coffee grinder)
salt or salt seasoning to taste (pappys 50% less salt)
pepper to taste
2 T soy sauce or equivalent
garlic /onion to taste
oil /clarified butter for sauteing
1 cup boiling water or broth

Ok, put everything except chia powder and oil in a large mixing cup
add water or broth, stir, let sit an hour.
add chia powder stir, it will be sticky and weird
heat skillet add fat of your choice
saute, browning and breaking up as desired
cook until the moisture is evaporated and it's nicely browned

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other ideas for fake "Ground Meat":

Use as a substitute for ground beef in any of Linda Sue's recipes calling for ground meat. My favorite way (Tada! here) to use burger crumbles is in Linda Sue’s recipe for Mexican Spinach Lasagna.

Taco Salad- eat over a bed of salad with chopped tomato, shredded cheddar, avocado or guacamole

Burrito - Wrap ingredients from Taco Salad into a lowcarb pita or other lc wrap or tortilla product

Mexican Omelette - Omelette with Taco Meat, cheddar and chopped tomato filling

One important thing to note is that anytime a vegetarian protein source is substituted for meat in a recipe, the carb count will be higher for the total recipe.
This deserves a bump.