Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #151
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Anytime...I said that Yves Ground doesn't freeze well after you make it into a meal, but it does okay for faux meatloaf and meatballs. I made a few casseroles and they didn't work out...or maybe its just me, but they tasted different. The flavor just doesn't hold up in lasagna or spaghetti either.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #152
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quorn Holiday Dinner

Quorn Holiday Dinner:

I thought I'd try this yesterday. It's pretty good.
You get a roll of some kind of faux turkey meat and it serves 4.
It also comes with about a dozen little "stuffing" balls, which are actually little faux sausages that are the best part of the dinner. The faux turkey meat is good too.
And it comes with gravy. While the gravy smelled delicious before I heated it up, it tasted terrible. Super sweet and weird tasting, so I didn't eat that.
I sliced up some of the leftover faux roast which I'm calling turkey for a sandwich today and vacuumed sealed 2 servings and froze for a quick meal later.
I forgot what it cost...got it at whole paycheck and it seemed a bit expensive at the time, but now that I've tasted it and I actually like most of it, I think it's worth the price.
I'll definitely buy this again if they still have it.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #153
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

365 Brand Faux Chicken Nuggets

365 Brand Faux Chicken Nuggets:

These are the best faux chicken nuggets I have tried so far. They had the right crispy texture. I got these at Sprouts but they were out of them the last time I went. Hopefully, they will restock them soon.

I generally buy MSF buffalo wings, but these have them beat.

I've tried most brands of faux chicken nuggets that I can find. Some of them are okay and some, not so great.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #154
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Pancake & Waffle Mix

Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Pancake & Waffle Mix:

I tried this for breakfast on Saturday.
It was okay, but I had to add eggs and oil and then it was lacking flavor, so I added vanilla and some fresh blueberries.
The best part is that it made nice fluffy pancakes (like IHOP) and they tasted close to the real thing after I doctored them up.
3 pancakes filled me up.

I will probably purchase this item again in the near future.
I prefer the New Hope Mills brand, but I can live with this one.
This mix seems to make more pancakes than the New Hope Mills.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #155
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Boca has new products!! Breakfast Scramble

Boca has new products!!

Breakfast Scramble, chile relleno, red quinoa with roasted vegetables

I only found the Breakfast Scramble at Walmart.
I had one today for breakfast with cheese on a flat bun.
I could eat these every day...they are good.

They only have 5 net carbs per patty, even though they do contain potatoes, it must not be much. One is okay for a light breakfast, buy I know I could eat 2 of them easily.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #156
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So Delicious Dairy Free Frozen Desserts

So Delicious Dairy Free Frozen Desserts

I tried the coconut and the chocolate.

The coconut one tastes just like eating a coconut and somehow I thought it might be better.
The chocolate one has a harsh chocolate flavor with no coconut taste, but its hard to eat by itself....so I mixed the two together and got a decent tasting "ice cream".

I won't be buying either of these products again. At nearly $5 each (pint), I can pass on them.

If we ever get the almond ones, I will give them a try though.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #157
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I bought a can of Bearitos organic green chili refried beans. Oh, and fat free. They were on sale and I thought WTH, it'd be nice to have something available for when nothing really sounds good.
Anyway....they were really boring and had no green chili from what I could taste....just a can of pure starch.

Before all the organic canned beans became available, I would buy Rosarita's vegetarian refries and they were pretty good. These are not.

Really, we don't eat many pinto beans so not a big deal but if you're tempted, go for another brand.....or make your own.....or order them from your locai Mexican restaurant.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #158
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the review. I haven't seen them but I hardly buy canned beans. I have a couple on hand but I generally cook them from dry. I haven't been eating beans in a few months...no reason why...I just forget about them.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #159
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetogenicGurl
WOE: LC-HF-LP Plant based
Start Date: 2-1-2015
Crunchy Parmesean Crackers

I am following a plant based diet but consuming few carbs, and saw recipes for baking little piles of parmesan cheese into 'crackers'…

then saw similar ones for sale to those Mr. Cracker mentioned here.

These are very spendy!! $6. for 15 large round all parmesan…called " Everything Parmesan Crackers"

several spices were bakes into various flavors..I got the plainest ones to start…and they are very dense, hard, and not bad with cream cheese and other add ons like avocado, etc.

I wanted to make my own, but am not a food cook, so finding what they SHOULD taste like is a start, now I will get out the cookie sheet and try some soon.
KetogenicGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #160
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

KG, that is a LC staple. You can use any cheese and I'm pretty sure you can nuke them so easy, easy.

I am actually trying to have beans daily, although, some days I am unsuccessful.

I am eating a little grain and making it a point to eat a serving of seasonal fruit....so good this time of year.

I am just adding back a little at a time kind of the way Atkins followers would keeping a close eye on how I feel and the scale.
So far so good.

Dairy is not something a avoid and do not have any reason to give it up....again.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #161
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Yes// a stpale

Hi Jem. yes I knew it was LC item..wanted to test drive one made properly before trying to make them myself.

beans I have never liked much..so I am keeping dairy.

Tuesday is my birthday and I usually have Chinese..this year I got a lobster tail, and am having my lobster dipped in butter and some nice white rice ( only carb I enjoy most) just for the day, at home.

While I am not eating meat I feel comfortable enough to buy a wild caught lobster and have seafood just once.

My Neph strted me on a different diuretic, so am watching for side effects…it says not to go in the sun unprotected,,dang..I was sunbathing daily for my Vit D//btu i will stop fr the first month until we see how this goes, and if it really means NO sun.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #162
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
if you haven't tried the Trader Joes Cauliflower Rice, I highly recommend--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #163
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Birthday KG!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #164
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dried Cucumber Chips from Sprouts

Dried Cucumber Chips from Sprouts

Basically, horrible.
They tasted like rancid zucchini.

Dried Beet Chips from Sprouts

Pretty Bad....didn't taste anything like beets.
They had a harsh flavor.

On the pro side, the boy dog loves both of them. Healthy snacks for him.
Of course he loves all vegetables and fruits. About the only thing he doesn't like is ketchup. He loves lasagna and spaghetti and other tomato based sauces, just not ketchup. He's funny that way.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #165
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
if you haven't tried the Trader Joes Cauliflower Rice, I highly recommend--
Thanks ouizoid .
I did try to get some a couple of weeks there, but they told me they would be out until August. Strange....you figure a store would get a bigger supply and more often if it sells out the first day or two.

Someone mentioned that green giant has some kind of frozen cauliflower (forget the description) over on recipe suggestions. I haven't seen that around here either.

I am excited to try the Trader Joe's though. Hopefully I can get some in August.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-09-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Old 07-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #166
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

LOVE THE DR. DUKAN NOODLES

I bought 2 bags of the Dr. Dukan ( AKA Miracle noodle- I ordered Miracle and got Dukan, but they seem to be the exact same product)…made from a tuber

the bag of 7 oz seems like all fluid and NO noodles when it arrived. i put in fridge to keep from further soupiness..and when I opened there were actually a bunch of noodles in there!! hahaha..it says 2.5 servings, but if one is really hungry eating all 7 oz is not unlikely.

( they are ONE long noodle, so clipping with scissors recommended) no cooking, just rinse and plot into boiling water for 1 min…I had steamed veggies, so just used the vitamin infused steam water in the pot to cook the noodles..works fine.

I am amazed there are no calories, no carbs, no sugars..and to me there was no fishy smell of taste as some have claimed. ( it says not to order a case of them unless you KNOW you like them)

so I was happy to have the choice of a 'pasta' replacement for my meals..and I do plan to order a case…. pricing is all over on the web from $2.29 on one site to $2.69 here, and less per case price.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #167
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Are miracle noodles the ones made from glucommanan? Someone one LCF was making them using a big syringe. I tried and failed.

I do like the shiritake noodles. I usually just use a vegie noodle but those are nice for something more filling than zoodle, etc.

Thanks for the review.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #168
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I noticed that MSF has black bean burgers in a twelve pack. I'm wondering if they're good enough to keep around for a quick dinner.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #169
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Miracle noodles are from a yam

Hi Jem…..I read these are from a yam/ they have no calories, no carbs.

In the last 8 weeks i have been the longest time stuck at my long time weight…so my body wants to STAY here, not me.

I find I can't stick to 1500 calories..my body screams "hungry"..so I am listening to it and ONLY allowing more fats or protein…at midnight last week I had 2 HB eggs..30 min apart..then was able to sleep.

I am 'allowing" this split personality because it's what works…I can't come down hard on myself if I am following LC very well..and then explain why I am still hungry at 1800 calories.

many male LC'ers say "eat until flu"l..but I think for older woman that may not work. at least not for me..same weight for 2 months now.

so I'm just trying to keep at 1800, letting my body 'adjust' to this old set point, and then eventually I can start dropping again…Getting tough and sticking to 1400 LC calories is my next step.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #170
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I noticed that MSF has black bean burgers in a twelve pack. I'm wondering if they're good enough to keep around for a quick dinner.
They are decent. I eat them once in a while.

They used to have a large size bean burger and it was great. Don't know what ever happened to them. Boca had big ones too. All gone now.

The smaller bean burger doesn't have as much flavor as the big one did, but yeah, I keep some around for quick dinners.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #171
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, KG, I'm sure that's glucomannan which is konjac root. I tried making them and didn't like them. There is a tofu shiritake noodle that I really like and they are really filling. My daughter follows JUDDD and always has them for dinner on her low days.

Nigel, I saw those twelve packs at Costco. I may wait until fall when we'll be in Chico for the winter...otherwise, there may be a bunch just sitting in the freezer.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #172
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quest Protein Chips - Sea Salt

Quest Protein Chips - Sea Salt:

I got a small bag of these just to try...I ordered them and they came mostly crushed...hmmm....they taste okay..kind of a funny aftertaste.

I read up on them some more and lots of people use them for breading.
That's a good idea cuz I'm not fond of pork rinds at all.

Since they are already crushed, I might try breading some faux chicken for oven fried. IF that works out, I'll probably buy some more, but at the store so they won't be crushed. (I have a pet peeve about crushed chips--if I crush them, its okay..not okay for them to arrive that way)

Last edited by Nigel; 08-06-2015 at 06:13 AM..
Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #173
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Peanut Granola Bars

Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Peanut Granola Bars:

These are a little on the higher carb side, but they taste like candy bars.

19 carbs and 4 grams of protein

I bought these at a .99 cent store for a steal...30 bars for $1.49 so I got 4 boxes...that'll probably last me til the end of the year. If I had any freezer room, I would have bought more.

These make a great snack for me a couple of days per week.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #174
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beefless Beef by Trader Joe's

Beefless Beef by Trader Joe's:

I made taco meat out of it last night. I added in a small onion, half a red bell pepper, and some celery plus some seasoning.

It was good, much like Yves Ground. I will definitely buy more the next trip to TJ's.

It cooks up just like regular hamburger meat.

I'll have to test it out for faux meatloaf next time.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #175
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

nigel--I haven't tried them yet, but I hear Whole Foods has a new veggie sausage made by Dees that are supposed to be excellent --I will report back after I buy some
Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #176
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
nigel--I haven't tried them yet, but I hear Whole Foods has a new veggie sausage made by Dees that are supposed to be excellent --I will report back after I buy some
Thanks for that suggestion. I will get some next trip to whole foods...not sure when that will be cuz it's a fair bit away from me.

I will await your review. The only kind I have found that I like is MSF breakfast sausage, but I use it for other stuff like bbq sausage.

I've tried making a few, but they weren't very tasty, so I've kind of given up on food experiments until it gets cooler here. 102 in the shade today.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #177
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Wildwood products

First let me say that the only place I've found these is at the Grocery Outlet.

Pasta Slim comes in various spaghetti type noodles. in a bag with liquid. I have had the spaghetti and spinach flat noodles (can't remember what they are called).
They don't have any odd taste and from what I hear, glucommanan noodles do. These are made with the addition of tofu which makes them very pasta like.
I stock up when I see them. I think you can ignore the date. I've eaten them outdated for a year and they are the same....long as they are unopened and refrigerated.

Baked tofu. This is the first time I've seen it and there were two flavors; Pineapple...something and BBQ. I bought the BBQ and would buy it again but like most of these tofu products, the flavor is not popping.....BUT, after I dipped it in some spicy sauce, I loved it.
The texture is firm, as expected.

I don't know why I don't see more of it since it's made in CA.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #178
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sadly, they are no longer makes no the pasta slim noodles. They were the best and most delicious of their ilk and I am sad
Old 08-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #179
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, that's too bad. There's a brand at the market where we shop that is similar. I'll check and see what the brand is.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #180
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There is a brand on amazon called Eat Water. I don't know if its the right product but that's what came up when I googled slim pasta.