Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #31
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Thanks for the information! I downloaded several of them yesterday. Figured you can't go wrong with free books!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #32
DressageLover
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/166/155, 5'10"
WOE: AltShift
Start Date: 1/29/99
Today is day 24 for me and I feel amazing! And my pants are fitting better!! I'm afraid to jinx it by posting this. Can this be for real? Can I really enjoy this delicious, nutrient dense food and have a lean, healthy body?
This might be my dream come true.
One day at a time....
DressageLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #33
tiva
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/129/132, 54 yo
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
Today is day 24 for me and I feel amazing! And my pants are fitting better!! I'm afraid to jinx it by posting this. Can this be for real? Can I really enjoy this delicious, nutrient dense food and have a lean, healthy body?
This might be my dream come true.
One day at a time....
Yah! I hope it persists, and I bet it will!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #34
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Congrats! I hope it keeps up.

As for me, I failed. The program was just too impractical for my current circumstances. It wasn't a major fail (i.e. I wasn't gorging myself on desserts), but more like bits and pieces of fail (for instance, someone offered me handmade meat pastry with wheat dough for lunch... I felt really bad saying no given the amount of work involved in making it so I just ate it).

However, I still feel like I got a number of things out of it (even though, according to them, it was a fail):

* I am now aware of the Paleo lifestyle and have free recipe books!
* Perusing their website alerted me to the possibility that nightshades were causing my fatigue, and since tomatoes, eggplants, and green peppers were my staple (daily) vegetables this past year, I decided to eliminate them (even though that leaves me with few other vegetables).
* I discovered HIIT exercising (from a Paleo website)
* My clothes are looser and my skin looks better
* My eczema that I have had for 4 years has calmed down.
* I realized that I enjoy sweet foods, and I feel like they add to the quality of my life (even though I know I can't eat sugar and have to eat low-GI or artificial sweeteners). So, I don't want to be on a permanent plan without them. However, I realized it is important to be more moderate in the "fake foods".
* The program made me more sensitive to foods which were causing a reaction. For instance, I realized that my lovingly imported goat milk powder was not sitting well with me, and I read the ingredients and realized it contained lactose (from cow's milk)! (I am allergic to cow dairy.)
* Overall I could see myself being mostly compliant (80/20 as some people say) but I found it difficult 100% of the time (and also very expensive in my current locale, where meat is expensive). However, I doubt that legumes were really causing any problem so I will probably go back to them.

So, that is my report! Looking forward to yours or anyone else's at the end.

Last edited by Avicenna; 06-01-2014 at 11:00 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #35
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

So...anyone else?

I have been getting comments lately about how I look like I lost weight even though I am only about 3 pounds down on the scale.

I've decided to try to keep up the program more or less for a while, although I am not being fully compliant and I'd probably get a lecture from their moderating staff.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #36
raini
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Well, I'm here... as everyone else seems to be leaving. I just got information on The Whole 30 this past week, when my daughter and her BFF were here. So I purchased the book Paleo Slow Cooker and also Well Fed 2 (thought I ordered the first one, but it was the second.) Still hoping to get It Starts With Food.

I haven't eliminated cheese yet. I was doing raw vegan for awhile, and when I started eating meat and cheese again, I found I'm just not enjoying the meat all that much. Cheese seems to be my "go to" protein. (I never thought I'd be saying that about meat!)

I found the most yummy soup in the Well Fed 2 book - it's Creamy Ginger Zucchini Soup, I think. We had it for dinner with a big salad last night. I made it with home made chicken broth instead of the canned stuff because I have to watch my sodium. Hubby didn't seem to notice that we had no meat. LOL

Other than the not-eating-cheese-thing, this isn't a big stretch for me. I quit eating processed foods when I was trying raw vegan recipes, and I quit drinking sodas or any other prepared beverages even before that. Now my drink of choice is water, and I try to drink tea (usually hibiscus for my heart, or other herb teas that are good for kidneys.) I often add lemon juice from an organic lemon to my water, and chia seeds as well.

Where others have said they aren't going to focus on weight loss and just work on eating healthier, I don't have that option. I HAVE to lose weight. I have finally figured out that maybe any one particular program isn't going to work for me, so I am going to have to find something close to what works, and then tweak it until it works.
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #37
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Welcome!

Some people find that dairy interferes with weight loss, so eliminating it for a short time might help you see whether that is the case with you.

Maybe they all left because they're happy with what they are doing?

Anyway, let us know how it goes!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #38
raini
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Welcome!

Some people find that dairy interferes with weight loss, so eliminating it for a short time might help you see whether that is the case with you.
Thank you. I'll see if I can take the dairy out for a bit. I've done without it before, but not at the same time as eliminating so many other things.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #39
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Agee
WOE: zero carb, yo.
Start Date: 7/11/2017
Hey - I'm going to do the Whole30, starting June 29. I'm going on vacation this week and don't plan to be a pig, but I know I need to get all my ducks in a row to do this right.
I'm not going to weigh. I might measure. I'll try to take a before picture. In all my years of dieting I've never taken a before picture...but I might.
Would love some friends/partners on this journey. I have a long, sad, fairly annoying history of trying to lose weight and I'm old enough now that I'm really just looking to be healthy. Less fat would be great. But feeling good would be the best.
I have been doing LC, on and off, since 1996. The ONLY time I've lost a LOT has been eating vlc, but the ONLY times I've gained it back quick + more has been after vlc. So from now on, it's old school LC all the way!
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #40
raini
Major LCF Poster!

Agee, I have to weigh... I am in kidney failure and have heart issues, so I have to keep track - supposedly daily but that's not happening right now. And I can't tell you how many old rolls of film (yeah, remember film???) I have with "Before" pictures on them. And I bet those "Before" pictures look better than I do now. <sigh> But I just keep starting again and hope that someday I'll get this right. One thing for sure: I know more about nutrition now than I ever have before. We are now mostly organic and non-GMO and use no artificial sweeteners. I drink no sodas, diet or otherwise.

I'm enjoying recipes from the Whole 30. Good luck on your fresh start!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #41
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 244-again 😖
WOE: Atkins 72 induction eventually, zero carb for now
Start Date: September 2012/11-20-16 restart
I started Whole30 yesterday. I combined it with IF, because I've had better luck starting a new program that way in the past. I had black coffee spiced with nutmeg and allspice in the morning, then ate supper at 4:30. I'm glad that the two things I was worried about-drinking my coffee without cream, and giving up artificial sweetners-didn't seem to give me any problems. Hopefully the next 29 days will go without a hitch-and that I will be a few lbs lighter at the end of them!
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #42
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Started Whole30 today and 2 meals in it's going great!
If this results in weight loss I will be over the moon. I mean - fruit? I'm so used to vlc it feels a little wild to me.
I'm not weighing, but I will take pictures. I'll go by my clothing, I think.
Part of me thinks that when I lose 50 lbs I'll be sorry I didn't do measurements or weighing, but I also know I need to focus on good choices and health. The scale makes me very depressed and I'm not going there this time 'round.
A
I have been doing LC, on and off, since 1996. The ONLY time I've lost a LOT has been eating vlc, but the ONLY times I've gained it back quick + more has been after vlc. So from now on, it's old school LC all the way!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #43
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 of my Whole30 and had a great breakfast: brussels sprouts sauteed in coconut oil, eggs, and black coffee.
I woke up feeling sluggish.
The Whole30 page has a timeline of this WOE and it's funny, I was like: I've done lc so many times that stuff won't happen to me, but judging by how I feel this a.m. I think it's going to happen to me.
The beauty of doing lc so many times is the thought of giving up grains and sugar isn't odd or foreign to me. The past 6 months I've been eating crappy (for me), though, so I'm really excited to be resetting things.
@Jackie - how's it going?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #44
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Hello Agee, it's going great so far-I did two days IF, and have been eating two meals a day since then-I'm having a little fruit, every couple days. I'm not keeping much food in the house-that way I won't be tempted to over indulge.

I am having a sweet potato at Texas Roadhouse today to go with my prime rib. I'm still a little scared, I have to admit. I'm eating more carbs than I'm used to. But, I have more energy, my mood is better, and it feels like my pants are getting a little looser-all good things :-)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #45
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Jackie make sure it's not "loaded". I ordered a loaded sweet potato there and it had brown sugar and marshmallows melted on it!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #46
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 seems to be a bit of a detox day. Oh, my gut.
I had been eating poorly, but I guess I didn't realize how poorly. My body is telling me. Day 3 is supposed to be worse, too. Grr.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #47
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the heads up about the potato Agee-I'll order it plain lol. Sorry to hear about the detox issues. Hopefully your tummy will feel better soon.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #48
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Day 3 and I feel MUCH better. I'm thinking I may have overdone it with the coconut oil.
Going to the grocery store later today to buy LOTS of produce and meat. This WOE requires much planning ahead. On Saturday (day 1) I was out and about and couldn't find much to eat in our local health food co-op, of all places. Everything packaged or pre-made had forbidden ingredients. Kind of crazy.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #49
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Wow, six days in-almost a full week! I've discovered that if you add two raw
Eggs to green smoothies, they will keep you full for an incredibly long time. Just thought I'd share :-)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #50
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Jackie.
Today is day 4 and I can't keep my eyes open!
I cannot believe I'm having this kind of reaction. I thought I had been eating okay, but now I realize I was eating terrible - or at least terrible in regards to this WOE.
The food choices are fine. Lots of chopping. Lots of planning.
The carb detox is terrible. Seriously. I haven't felt this cruddy in a while.
Day 4 on the Whole30 timeline is supposed to be kill someone day. I don't really feel like that, but I do feel exhausted!
A
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #51
Chrystee
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Chrystee
Stats: 318/170.2/160 VSG 3/18/15
WOE: VSG Surgery/Low Carb
Start Date: March 2015
HI! I'm on day 13ish..
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #52
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Do you have Tiger blood yet, @Chrystee?
Day 5 here. It's okay. Getting a little bored but everything's fine.
Made cauliflower rice tonight. Haven't had any yet but it looks really good.
My husband went to Trader Joe's this afternoon and bought me ghee as a treat
A
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #53
tiva
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/129/132, 54 yo
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12/02
I hope it's going well for everyone! I did it in April and then (slightly less strictly) in May. For June I added back a little dairy and a little bourbon. Good luck to all.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #54
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Just had the best supper-three egg omelette w onion powder and parsley, four oz thin sliced Perdue chicken breasts fried in CO, and a plate of tomato, half an avacado and cucumber. And a half a cup of blueberries for desert. I hope this works for me, because I could see myself eating just like this for the rest of my life. I have really missed vegetables and fruit. Keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 AM   #55
Agee
Senior LCF Member

That sounds wonderful!
Last night I had brussels sprouts sauteed in coconut oil, almond-flour crusted chicken tenders, and a piece of watermelon.
Day 7 here. I woke up exhausted. Seriously exhausted. And I can't afford to be that way today! I'm hoovering the (black) coffee.
Yesterday I was hungry all day. It was so weird. I ended up eating 4 times - at 7, 10:30, 1, and 7, plus a little snack in between. Hopefully it's just a byproduct of my body switching calorie burn sources.
This morning I am not hungry at all. I'm just trying to get the coffee in to make me be able to do my day. In a little bit I'll have sweet potato hash w/mushrooms and onions and eggs. SO GOOD.
I also hopes this works, Jackie! I can see myself eating this way forever, too. But maybe w/ a little dark chocolate when I'm not being super strict. And honey. We have tons of blackberries now and my husband wants me to make a cobbler and I'm feeling a little sad I won't get any. I could make a simple crisp with honey and almond flour and it would be paleo, but not Whole30. We have tons of berries in the freezer so I'll be able to do it when I want in the future, so I'm not in serious mourning, but it's making me think.
A
Old 07-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #56
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July! @Dottie-I made sure that the potato was plain, but it was huge! I don't think I saved myself many carbs that way...

I ate way too much watermelon yesterday-today is an IF day. I wish I could do this every day: I have a feeling that i would lose. But, the hunger beast strikes after about four days and I end up eating like 2700 cals. :-( Anyway, I think I will ease off of the fruit, but I still have three small sweet potatoes that I need to eat this week. I have to admit, I'm worried about consuming so many carbs, but it's only for a month or so. And so far I haven't been struck by any french bread cravings, so I guess I'm okay. @ Agee, yes, it would really be great if I could do this forever! I don't need dairy and artificial sweeteners if I can have kale and sweet potatoes
(occasionally) and tomatoes and eggplant and jalape˝os and sweet onion and cucumbers and avocados and blueberries and peaches....Honey is off of my list, though. But I hope that it works for you-everyone deserves cobbler!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #57
ArdMaine
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Today is my first day. I made some lovely chili and have ribs in the crockpot. Later I plan to cook up some chicken and roast veggies. Lunch might be a salad, with chili on it. I'm still full from my eggs, bacon and 14 raspberries I had for breakfast.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #58
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

chili....Sounds good.....
Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #59
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Today at the grocery store I had the profound feeling of being SICK of this food!
I really wanted bacon, and cream sauce for my spaghetti squash!
But I muscled through.
Chicken and brussels sprouts and ?? something else for supper.
For lunch and breakfast I had sweet potato hash with eggs. I'm a little addicted to sweet potato hash!
Day 9 and I am no smaller in the pants! I have on a pair of pants I haven't worn in a couple of weeks and they fit no different. boo hoo hoo. It's not supposed to happen this fast, I know, but I was hoping...
Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #60
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Am so trying sweet potato hash tomorrow-I have a sweet onion and two sweet potatoes left. I'll add leftover chicken to it-yum!

I found the coolest thing at my local whole foods store: Paleo wraps! They are made with coconut meat, and coconut oil. They're thin, but hold up very well. I fried one in coconut oil then added a tbs coconut manna and a banana for lunch. Really. Freaking. Good.

It's been weird eating this way. I've been vlc for so long now, I'm kind of freaked out by how many carbs I'm eating. I'm not even counting, but I'm probably inching close to one hundred per day. The weird thing is, I don't feel bad. My allergies are a little worse, (which could just be the pollen and not the Paleo) but I actually feel like I have more energy and my mood is better. I'm pretty sure I'm not gaining. I haven't lost in six freaking months, so it's not like I'm really expecting to on this: If I just don't gain at the end of the month, it'll be a win.

The really weird part of it is how easy it is to cut calories eating this way: My heavy days are 1600 or less, my light days between 900-1100. I'm kind of in a strange head space where I don't want this to work, bc I've argued the virtues of NK for so long...