Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #61
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Agee
I know what you mean about the carbs. I'm not counting, and while I'm not eating more than one whole sweet potato a day (and usually only half, since I just use half in the has) I'm feeling a little decadent.
I feel LESS restricted doing this than on some of the LC plans I've been on.
I don't know how many calories I'm taking in. I haven't checked. I'd imagine less, for sure.
Today is day 11. I'm right on the Whole30 timeline - yesterday and the day before were days of total bloat. I woke up this morning less bloaty, for sure, and I'm thinking I might go try on shorts that have been really tight to see if they fit.
Quote:
I'm kind of in a strange head space where I don't want this to work, bc I've argued the virtues of NK for so long...
NK works, but it may not work for you. Good technique, bad fit?
Or whatever you need to tell yourself. I can tell myself that about any number of the eating plans I've tried over the last 15 years.
I have been doing LC, on and off, since 1996. The ONLY time I've lost a LOT has been eating vlc, but the ONLY times I've gained it back quick + more has been after vlc. So from now on, it's old school LC all the way!
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #62
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 244-again 😖
WOE: Atkins 72 induction eventually, zero carb for now
Start Date: September 2012/11-20-16 restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agee View Post

NK works, but it may not work for you. Good technique, bad fit?
Or whatever you need to tell yourself. I can tell myself that about any number of the eating plans I've tried over the last 15 years.
Hard to process, but true-and I never was very happy not eating vegetables-I mean, I love me some green! Seriously, if I could be healthy doing it, I would have no problem being vegetarian. But combining the vegetables with lean meat and then adding coconut oil-I'm loving it.

And as far as sweet potatoes go-trust me, I eat the whole thing!
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 AM   #63
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Did you try slicing the sweet potato on a mandolin then microwaving or baking the slices like chips? Very good that way and you get a LOT out of half a sweet potato

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #64
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

lol yeah....but then the other half is just siting there, all lonely....
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #65
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Day 12 (?) and going strong!
Haven't weighed, haven't measured, and my pants fit me the same, BUT I noticed that the little roll of back fat on my right side is GONE. I still have my left side roll (I'm crooked that way) but the right side pocket has disappeared. I did notice that my bras feel funny recently. Not loose, but different.
Hmm....less back fat is a very good thing.
And today I'm going to Trader Joe's, which is 40 minutes from my house, specifically to get brussels sprouts. Any other delicious things I should get?
I have been doing LC, on and off, since 1996. The ONLY time I've lost a LOT has been eating vlc, but the ONLY times I've gained it back quick + more has been after vlc. So from now on, it's old school LC all the way!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #66
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Agee! Inches are more important than lbs, IMHO. I think my pants are getting looser. I did weigh once last week-I couldn't resist. I was down by half a lb-but I am notorious for losing one lb before gaining three, and then settling three weeks later at the exact weight I was at before. Still, I'm really positive about this. I'mglad to see others having positive results.

Can't help you w sprouts, we don't have one where we live. Are they like a big whole foods/farmers market? I would look for reduced in season fruit, bananas and mangoes and berries, then freeze them. I've been having fun at mine, just froze 13 ripe honey mangos. And I got a big bag of Japanese eggplant for a dollar! And I found no sugar rice vinegar. Sweet & Sour chicken is just around the corner!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 AM   #67
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

found salted duck eggs at my local farmer's /asian market. Haven't tried one yet..and I am noticing less back fat! Yeah, I know, random subject change-but Im excited lol. I've only weighed once since starting whole 30-I couldn't resist. But, I'm trying to be good from here on out. I've only got another couple weeks to go-I can weight! (Yes, I am this corny in real life also.)
Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #68
ArdMaine
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Today is my day 6. I have stuck to plan and yesterday was my first challenging day. I just felt "off" it started with some pretty sever GI episodes in the morning. Then all day I just had no real appetite. Perhaps it was a touch of a virus.

I have not weighed or measured, I don't feel smaller-yet. I AM enjoying my food and lack of cravings.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #69
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

I have to lay off of fruit. 'nuff said. However, butternut squash is delicious. I will keep eating that.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #70
Agee
Senior LCF Member

Day?? 16 maybe?
I am doing okay, but I think something I'm eating is bothering my digestion!
It may be onions and it may be eggs, since it typically happens after I eat my delicious sweet potato/onion/mushroom/egg breakfast.
Please let it be onions because we have chickens and I will be SO SAD if it's eggs.
Anyway, I'm going to try not eating onions for a couple days and see what happens.
I'm not really feeling the tiger blood yet, but I am definitely losing fat. This is gross, but my belly is hanging differently. If I can get past my stomach upset I'll try on pants later today.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #71
Pufflady
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pufflady
WOE: Whole-30
Start Date: July 14, 2014
Hi, I'm new. I'm starting Whole-30 today. I'm looking forward to reading here, gaining inspiration and information, and to meeting you all. Thank you. :-)
Pufflady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #72
Chrystee
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Chrystee
Stats: 318/170.2/160 VSG 3/18/15
WOE: VSG Surgery/Low Carb
Start Date: March 2015
Quote:
Do you have Tiger blood yet, @Chrystee?
Day 5 here. It's okay. Getting a little bored but everything's fine.
Made cauliflower rice tonight. Haven't had any yet but it looks really good.
My husband went to Trader Joe's this afternoon and bought me ghee as a treat
A
Tiger blood? I messed up this weekend.. I'm incredibly stressed over us moving this weekend coming up and things with the buyer.. But I'm back on today, restarting.

Quote:
Day?? 16 maybe?
I am doing okay, but I think something I'm eating is bothering my digestion!
It may be onions and it may be eggs, since it typically happens after I eat my delicious sweet potato/onion/mushroom/egg breakfast.
Please let it be onions because we have chickens and I will be SO SAD if it's eggs.
Anyway, I'm going to try not eating onions for a couple days and see what happens.
I'm not really feeling the tiger blood yet, but I am definitely losing fat. This is gross, but my belly is hanging differently. If I can get past my stomach upset I'll try on pants later today.
You may need to try the autoimmune whole 30 which is even more strict.

Regarding fruits.. I definitely have to watch my fruits. I can rarely have a banana (maybe right before a hard WOD).. and I sparingly eat sweet potatoes.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #73
Chrystee
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Chrystee
Stats: 318/170.2/160 VSG 3/18/15
WOE: VSG Surgery/Low Carb
Start Date: March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufflady View Post
Hi, I'm new. I'm starting Whole-30 today. I'm looking forward to reading here, gaining inspiration and information, and to meeting you all. Thank you. :-)
Hello! I'm restarting myself.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #74
Agee
Senior LCF Member

So -
A COOL thing!
I now fit into my fat pants
Ha - I mean my old fat pants. Not the new fat pants I had to buy b/c my old ones were too tight.
I'm excited! And I think I have tiger blood today! I feel great.
Also, I don't think it was onions or eggs that made me sick. I think it was raw veggies. I just can't digest them. Last night I had a lot of fresh tomatoes and I was sick this a.m.
Maybe I need digestive enzymes?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #75
Pufflady
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystee View Post
Hello! I'm restarting myself.
Yay! I'll have company.

Day 2 - Craving sweets, but it will pass (I hope).
Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #76
Pufflady
Junior LCF Member

Day 3. Not craving sweets, particularly, but I feel HUNGRY!

So far today I've eaten a bison burger, a small romaine salad with a little evoo and vinegar, cup of tea, sliver of cheese, two teaspoons of almond butter right from the jar. I shouldn't be hungry but I suppose it is carb withdrawl (?). Maybe I should start drinking coffee - it suppresses the appetite.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #77
Agee
Senior LCF Member

@Pufflady - cheese isn't on the Whole30. Have you read the book? You don't actually need to, because almost all the rules are online, but dairy is not allowed.
I know you wrote your post yesterday, but if you are hungry, you should eat! Lots and lots of veggies! Sweet potatoes are your friend. FAT. Avacados! Yum! A small salad is not enough veggies per meal.

Here's what I ate yesterday:
b:2 cups Brussels sprouts sauteed in coconut oil, 3 eggs, 2 cups black coffee, 8 cherries
l:Homemade sweet potato chips, guacamole from 1 1/2 avacado, 1/2 hamburger
snack: the other half of the hamburger
dinner: 2 chicken legs, a cup and a half of curried cauliflower w/pine nuts and pineapple

You're not actually supposed to be doing snacks on the Whole30 but I was so full from the chips and guac I couldn't finish the burger and at about 5 pm I found myself a little hungry.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #78
Agee
Senior LCF Member

BEST THING EVER:
Last night I made a great cauliflower dish:
riced cauliflower sauteed in coconut oil
curry powder to taste
1/2 c. pine nuts
1 c. diced pineapple.
salt + pepper to taste.
It was GOOD.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #79
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

What I have learned about myself during whole 30:

Well-it's been going good in some ways, not so good in others. I did break down and buy some truvia-It doesn't seem to effect me. I am going to stick to paleo principals, but try to keep it under 50 total carbs a day. I have really been going overboard w fruit, which I thought would happen-ironically, I seem to have no issue w sweet potatoes-will keep them in mind when I enter maintenance, if that ever happens lol. Fruit- I may be able to get away w some berries occasionally, but fructose makes me want to eat. And eat.

I've learned a lot doing this- I'm going to stay away from dairy from now on, I think it does stall me-I might do some grass fed butter every once I a while. I'm clear of sweetners except for truvia-and I can give that up if I have problems. And I can keep my veggies pretty low carb, i.e. nappa cabbage, greens, spinnach and zuchini, but I am never, ever, going zero carb again. It's just not for me.

And coconut oil, almond oil, and aroy-d coconut milk make the best bpc ever, even without sweetners. Trust me. Good luck everyone!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #80
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Congratulations on getting through it!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #81
Agee
Senior LCF Member

So - I'm on day 23 or so and things are going well! I'm not keeping track of the days very well because I intend to keep going pretty much forever. I really like this WOE!
I have a big 3-day event this weekend and I'm going to try hard to stay on track but since every meal will be at a restaurant/banquet I know I won't be perfect. I will do my best, though. Nothing obvious. Probably some vegetable oils and random spices, if I had to guess.
I do need to add in more steady exercise. If I walk a couple miles a couple times a week it's an active week for me!
I know practically no one is reading this thread but wanted to pop in to give my update!
A
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #82
tttmom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Are any of you still doing Whole30? I'm on my 3rd day and things are going well. Just curious about your results, and if any of you are still doing this?
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #83
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

So, I'm here again-Doing another round of whole 30. I am having liquid stevia this time-and an occasional diet soda-but other than that, pretty clean. I've been eating chicken salad with homemade dressing, two eggs scrambled in CO and a small sweet potato and an apple a day. I lost pretty good after going back to NK, but then I stalled out after about a month-seems to happen to me. I'm hoping adding a few more carbs for a while, and getting back into strict paleo, will help me shake off a few more pounds by the end of the year.

I also bought some Barney's all natural almond butter-raw almonds and palm kernel oil. Why, oh why, do these people never add salt????

My main goal is to get away from dairy, and stay away from it. This stuff is more addictive to me than wheat. So, let's see how it goes.....
Old 11-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #84
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/211/161
WOE: WW Smart Points
Start Date: 3/20/2016
Started the whole 30 two days ago. I'm also doing IF, which comes naturally to me anyway.

Hope we get some good results Jackie

Sue
Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #85
AfterHyperNowHypo
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 305/217/150
Starting...again, after a few years...

It's been almost two years since visiting this site...I feel ready to do this and finish Round 1 before my birthday 01/16...almost a perfect opportunity...need accountability in sight, not just in my head.
What's an IF or CO? I'm not familiar with code and where can I find them if need to know?

Cynthia
AfterHyperNowHypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #86
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/211/161
WOE: WW Smart Points
Start Date: 3/20/2016
Cynthia, sorry I didn't see ur post earlier. IF is intermittent fasting and CO is coconut oil. I'm still transitioning to Paleo after a brief detour during the holidays. Ahem...

I find I feel better the more I'm grain free.

Sue
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #87
AfterHyperNowHypo
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 305/217/150
Thx....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW City Sue View Post
Cynthia, sorry I didn't see ur post earlier. IF is intermittent fasting and CO is coconut oil. I'm still transitioning to Paleo after a brief detour during the holidays. Ahem...

I find I feel better the more I'm grain free.

Sue
Thanks for the updated info...it looks like everybody is into their own thing and venting a little.

Seven years ago is when I originally started low carbing on and off then 4 years ago is when I started doing Paleo/vegetarian for the sake of cutting down on my meds and going back to college to get my B.S. degree in Nutrition or RD. I took two semesters off to do some home renovations and DIY on my health. I have a few medical issues that I needed to tweak before I continue back to school this Fall/2015.

Thanks Sue. I suppose I will be looking for another thread to be accountable. This one is not for me.
AfterHyperNowHypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #88
sterlinggirl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 194/166 GOAL.5'9 50Years young
WOE: Atkins 2/20/17
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
After reading this my thought was how many pounds came off at the end of the 30 days? I know its about feeling healthy and eating healthy but I wondered what was the scale result after it was said and done?

1991 Highest Weight 296#
1995 Low Fat 190#
2012 225#Job change.
2012 lost 60# on JUDDD. 166 N Lw
2015 185# Depression.
4/1/2015 NK new Woe. @ 185
My whole life has been a battle BUT I always get back up when it knocks me down.. Never give up!!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #89
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/203.4/150
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Dec 2014
I did a Whole30 challenge about this time last year, and did OK. I only made it officially 8 days, but I DID see some improvement in some physical symptoms, etc.

I suspect either dairy, artificial sweeteners, processed cold cuts/sausage, and/or alcohol are causing some continued issues in my journey, so I'm going to strip them for a while and see how I do.

I'm launching into a lower carb Whole30 starting April 1 of this year. Anyone interested in joining me?
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:47 AM   #90
Portia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 60 lbs gone!
WOE: My own plan
Rach: My nutritionist has me on a very "Whole 30-ish" plan and I have never felt better in my life. Mood, skin, weight etc. I haven't done a hard core Whole 30 but I've only heard good things about it.

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote