Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #61
piratejenny
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, I'm a re-newbie!

I did JUDDD a couple years ago...I don't really remember how much weight I lost, but I know I lost a lot the first couple months then it slowed to like 1lb/month, I had a lot of trouble with insomnia, and I gave up! I felt awful sometimes (shaky, cranky) but I might have experimented too much with stuff like the potato hack...

Now I keep thinking that if I'd kept with it, continued losing even just 1lb/month, and hadn't regained, I'd be 30 or 40lbs lighter! And I'd probably have saved a lot of money on food!

I'm going to do a 3 DDs per week plan; Tuesdays & Thursdays for sure and then pick either Saturday or Sunday depending on whether I have any plans (I usually don't, lol). I have Wednesdays off & with Friday and Sat or Sun UDs I'll be able to have a few nice meals & get pizza now & then with my son and/or friends.

I follow a somewhat lower-carb plan because I have diabetes. (I don't take insulin.) I'll have carbs like rice & beans or pizza once or twice a week but generally I don't eat pasta or potatoes, and try to limit bread. I don't buy low-calorie, low-fat or low-carb versions of regular foods (except for sugar-free drinks)...on DDs I just eat more veggies and get some protein from eggs, canned chicken, cold cuts, or cottage cheese.

9/04/2014...car accident, in coma for 5 weeks!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-17-2014 at 08:01 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #62
LoCarbGal
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evian101 View Post
2tbsp in 8oz water and that's about it really. Fast and in one go.
Thanks! That's about how I do it, when I manage to do it...

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a little disappointed. Did a weigh in and didn't lose a thing. Didn't gain either though. It's been a week ((

My sister said that the puffiness in my face went down, and I noticed that too. I did 2-3 days of exercise (resistance) and a fair amount of walking.

Any ideas?
Are you just starting to exercise, or have you been doing this level of activity for awhile? If it's new, it's probably just muscle soreness, inflammation that's holding onto water. Stay the course and it will come off. Some people don't lose right away on JUDDD, and it takes a few weeks to "kick in". You may be one of those. But it's still worth staying with it for at least a month, if not two, to see what will happen. Switching around diets and giving up too soon is probably one of the biggest reasons people don't ever lose any real weight. I don't want you to be one of them that could have great success with a little patience, but quit too soon!

Quote:
I pretty much followed the calorie suggestions

DD 500
UD 2100

Hmmm,m
If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? Height, weight, gender, activity level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Hi, I'm a re-newbie!

I did JUDDD a couple years ago...I don't really remember how much weight I lost, but I know I lost a lot the first couple months then it slowed to like 1lb/month, I had a lot of trouble with insomnia, and I gave up! I felt awful sometimes (shaky, cranky) but I might have experimented too much with stuff like the potato hack...

Now I keep thinking that if I'd kept with it, continued losing even just 1lb/month, and hadn't regained, I'd be 30 or 40lbs lighter! And I'd probably have saved a lot of money on food!

I'm going to do a 3 DDs per week plan; Tuesdays & Thursdays for sure and then pick either Saturday or Sunday depending on whether I have any plans (I usually don't, lol). I have Wednesdays off & with Friday and Sat or Sun UDs I'll be able to have a few nice meals & get pizza now & then with my son and/or friends.

I follow a somewhat lower-carb plan because I have diabetes. (I don't take insulin.) I'll have carbs like rice & beans or pizza once or twice a week but generally I don't eat pasta or potatoes, and try to limit bread. I don't buy low-calorie, low-fat or low-carb versions of regular foods (except for sugar-free drinks)...on DDs I just eat more veggies and get some protein from eggs, canned chicken, cold cuts, or cottage cheese.
Hey PJ! I hope you find JUDDD more doable this time around. It's good to have you back!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #63
piratejenny
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a little disappointed. Did a weigh in and didn't lose a thing. Didn't gain either though. It's been a week ((

My sister said that the puffiness in my face went down, and I noticed that too. I did 2-3 days of exercise (resistance) and a fair amount of walking.

Any ideas?
Just stick with it!!! Give it at least 4 weeks. Please

Are you a woman? If so, could you be having some hormonal/TOM weight fluctuations?
In other words, maybe this is a week you would have normally gained 2 or 3 pounds...
so even though it looks like nothing changed, you might have actually lost those 2 or 3 lbs.

Take some measurements! Waist for sure but also neck, wrists, ankles...most people tend to lose weight from the face & extremities before the torso. So your face could be getting thinner while your waist measurement will take a little longer to show change.

I haven't been around much for the last year or so, but there are probably some threads around about how when you first start burning stored fat, those cells temporarily fill back up with water, like they're staying available in case the fat comes back. Then after a few days when it looks like the fat is really gone, they release the water, too, and you have a "whoosh" of weight loss!

PS--Do you weigh every day, or just once a week?

9/04/2014...car accident, in coma for 5 weeks!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-18-2014 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #64
Evian101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Evian101
Stats: 175
Start Date: June 11 2014
Thank you LoCarbGal for your wonderful support. I will stick to it....I started to worry last night if I was more insulin resistant than I think. Then I wondered if I had a particular brand of fat that was more stubborn than everyone else's. I even started to research seriously low carb diets. It's amazing the sorts of worries that go through one's head!

Anyway, so I weighed myself again this morning - the morning of my UD. I am now down to just under 1 kilo (2 pounds) this morning. I can't tell you how much it has lifted my spirits!

I was premature in my weighing. however, I didn't think the end of the DD would make that much of a difference. I thought hey, I've only had 500 today so surely I can get my weight. So, this has taught me a big lesson.

Weigh in only once a week, on the morning of the UD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Are you just starting to exercise, or have you been doing this level of activity for awhile?

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? Height, weight, gender, activity level.
I started more resistance training yes, so I'm glad you brought this up. Could very well be the water retention.

My stats are:

43 YO
H: 5'8"
W: 175 (now 173 ))
Female
Exercise - 2 days resistance, 1 stretch yoga, 1 extreme interval training and walking whenever

Goal: 145-150 (25 to 30 pounds)
I hold the majority of my fat around my middle

Thank you for your support!

Onwards and upwards!
Evian101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #65
Evian101
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Just stick with it!!! Give it at least 4 weeks. Please

Are you a woman? If so, could you be having some hormonal/TOM weight fluctuations?
In other words, maybe this is a week you would have normally gained 2 or 3 pounds...
so even though it looks like nothing changed, you might have actually lost those 2 or 3 lbs.

Take some measurements! Waist for sure but also neck, wrists, ankles...most people tend to lose weight from the face & extremities before the torso. So your face could be getting thinner while your waist measurement will take a little longer to show change.

I haven't been around much for the last year or so, but there are probably some threads around about how when you first start burning stored fat, those cells temporarily fill back up with water, like they're staying available in case the fat comes back. Then after a few days when it looks like the fat is really gone, they release the water, too, and you have a "whoosh" of weight loss!

PS--Do you weigh every day, or just once a week?
Hi PJ,

Thank you for your support and encouragement too! Like I was telling LCG, I reweighed myself this morning and found that I was down by 2 pounds. I am soooo pleased. What a difference it makes. I shouldn't have weighed myself at the end of a DD. I've now learned my lesson. I will weigh myself only once a week on the morning of my UD.

I definitely have a tendency to retain water - so I'll bear that in mind too.

Measurements are important too, thank you for the suggestion. I did see a difference in my face looking less puffy, and my sister concurred. There is a lot more going on than we realise.

I am really really pleased at the 2 pound loss. That is just phenomenal in my experience.

I will be continuing defo.

Thanks again

Last edited by Evian101; 06-18-2014 at 04:11 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #66
Evian101
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

That's really interesting to know! I'm one of those that does have a tendency to hold onto water. So, I hope I see a watershed at some point too!

The stories that people share on this forum are very encouraging. So, thanks for that.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #67
LoCarbGal

Evian - great news about your weight! The fluctuations of JUDDD are well-known and you have to get to the point where you realize they're normal and don't bug you as much. It's the general trend that counts! Your comments about your having a special brand of fat cracked me up. We've all had those thoughts, and felt like our metabolisms are so messed up that nothing could possibly work on us.........and then JUDDD proves us wrong!

Thanks for your stats. I checked the calculator and here's what I got (all at 20%):

Little or no exercise - 1831/366
Light exercise - 2098/420
Moderate exercise - 2365/473

The general consensus around here has always been for best/fastest weight loss is to use 20% and Little or no exercise, no matter what level of exercise you may be doing. I did this for many months and had great losses.

As you can see, JUDDD is very flexible. You can go up to 35-45% and still be in weight loss mode. You can adjust for activity level. As long as you're losing at a rate that keeps you motivated and feeling good, you're doing JUDDD!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #68
Evian101
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Evian - great news about your weight!
Thank you!

Quote:
Thanks for your stats. I checked the calculator and here's what I got (all at 20%):

Little or no exercise - 1831/366
Light exercise - 2098/420
Moderate exercise - 2365/473

The general consensus around here has always been for best/fastest weight loss is to use 20% and Little or no exercise, no matter what level of exercise you may be doing. I did this for many months and had great losses.
Thank you for the tip LCG. I shall stick to the 1831/366. I was finding 2100 pretty hard to reach TBH. So, I think the 1831 is just about right. The 366 might be a challenge but I'll give it a go this week.

It's going to be interesting

Last edited by Evian101; 06-18-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #69
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 231/225/180 @5'9"tall and 61 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 til 12/11 then JUDD til 7/4/14...
Start Date: Low carb/ Higher protein some adf maybe 10/15/15
Evian: Congrats on the 2 pounds lost! Woo-Hoo! That's a great start!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #70
aritae
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aritae
Stats: 251/244/150
Start Date: 06/18/2014
Hello! I just started JUDDD today with 510 kcal DD. I had tried to start twice last week but had a terrible time making it through the initial DDs (I was in the throes of PMS, so I'm sure that was part of why I was feeling so hungry and worn out.) Today was a breeze, though, and I feel really good about it. I'm looking forward to eating tomorrow, and I hope DD #2 is just as pleasant.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. I've read through some of your weight loss successes, and they were very inspiring!
aritae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #71
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Welcome, Aritae! I'm fairly new, too (April 7) and still have a lot to learn, but have definitely learned that DDs vary tremendously. Some are very easy (today, for instance) and some just have to be gotten through by telling myself that there's always tomorrow. Both my sister and I tend to go over 500 calories on DDs, but we still lose, so while you want to keep it low, you don't want to make yourself so miserable you give up.

Once I've gone over on a DD it's really tempting to say fergit it, I've blown it anyway so I might just as well give up for the day and have that pizza and hot fudge sundae. Bad idea. Even an 800-calorie DD is better than an up day out of order, at least for me. And in general, DDs do get easier.

Here's wishing you tremendous success. You can do this! WE can do this.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #72
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aritae!!

Congratulations on a great DD. You did it!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #73
Yam-Yam
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Welcome, Aritae! I'm fairly new, too (April 7) and still have a lot to learn, but have definitely learned that DDs vary tremendously. Some are very easy (today, for instance) and some just have to be gotten through by telling myself that there's always tomorrow. Both my sister and I tend to go over 500 calories on DDs, but we still lose, so while you want to keep it low, you don't want to make yourself so miserable you give up.

Once I've gone over on a DD it's really tempting to say fergit it, I've blown it anyway so I might just as well give up for the day and have that pizza and hot fudge sundae. Bad idea. Even an 800-calorie DD is better than an up day out of order, at least for me. And in general, DDs do get easier.

Here's wishing you tremendous success. You can do this! WE can do this.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #74
LoCarbGal

aritae! Great news that you made it through today's DD!

Beadelia is right. Going over 500 is not a failure. There's nothing magic about that number, anyway. It's really about getting your calories down much much lower than you normally would eat. Then once you adjust you can try for lower numbers. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #75
aritae
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the greetings!

One question: I'd like to keep the same rotation of DDs/UDs each week, as it works best with my schedule. My first DD would be Monday, and my last UD would be Saturday, so what would that make Sunday? Is it a second DD, UD, or something in between?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #76
Carly

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130.2/125 5'2" 40yrs Size 20/4P
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aritae View Post
Hello! I just started JUDDD today with 510 kcal DD. I had tried to start twice last week but had a terrible time making it through the initial DDs (I was in the throes of PMS, so I'm sure that was part of why I was feeling so hungry and worn out.) Today was a breeze, though, and I feel really good about it. I'm looking forward to eating tomorrow, and I hope DD #2 is just as pleasant.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. I've read through some of your weight loss successes, and they were very inspiring!

DDs take some adjustment, but overall they get much easier.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #77
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Thanks for the greetings!

One question: I'd like to keep the same rotation of DDs/UDs each week, as it works best with my schedule. My first DD would be Monday, and my last UD would be Saturday, so what would that make Sunday? Is it a second DD, UD, or something in between?
You can do whatever works best for you! Two DDs in a row are generally not recommended around here, but there are more than a few who have done/do them and have no problems. In fact, the comments I've seen seem to indicate that the 2nd DD is easier than the first. I've never tried it myself.

Or you can do two UDs. That's not a problem, other than it will likely slow down your rate of loss.

The other option is a MD (medium or mid day) where you average the calories of your UD and your DD and divide it by 2. Also works to calculate it as 60% on the JUDDD calorie counter.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #78
aritae
Junior LCF Member

Thanks! I like the MD idea.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #79
aritae
Junior LCF Member

Thank you! I like the medium day idea.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #80
Evian101
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Evian: Congrats on the 2 pounds lost! Woo-Hoo! That's a great start!
Thank you Yam!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #81
Evian101
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Welcome Aritae! I started nearly 2 weeks ago (still in the induction phase and getting used to it). Something I've learned which might help:

vegetable curries are a godsend on DDs.

I modify a typical curry so:

Instead of oil, use stock and steam the vegetables with all the spices. All the lovely spices make the meal. Super high fiber, nutrient dense and fulfilling.

Ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, curry spice. It is a DRY curry, but helps the meal feel like a meal.

Today I've so far had 1 full sliced large courgette and 4 cauliflower florets = filled a plate = 70 cals. Eating variations of that 2-3 times a day, and strawberries for 'dessert' is well within your 500 for the day.

Feel free to add chopped tomatoes to make a wet curry.

I've found that I can stretch my no eating window (but with lots of water and herbal tea) til about 3pm. Then I eat my two curries, (late lunch/late dinner).

Well worth considering

Last edited by Evian101; 06-21-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #82
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome Aritae! I started nearly 2 weeks ago (still in the induction phase and getting used to it). Something I've learned which might help:

vegetable curries are a godsend on DDs.

I modify a typical curry so:

Instead of oil, use stock and steam the vegetables with all the spices. All the lovely spices make the meal. Super high fiber, nutrient dense and fulfilling.

Ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, curry spice. It is a DRY curry, but helps the meal feel like a meal.

Today I've so far had 1 full sliced large courgette and 4 cauliflower florets = filled a plate = 70 cals. Eating variations of that 2-3 times a day, and strawberries for 'dessert' is well within your 500 for the day.

Feel free to add chopped tomatoes to make a wet curry.

I've found that I can stretch my no eating window (but with lots of water and herbal tea) til about 3pm. Then I eat my two curries, (late lunch/late dinner).

Well worth considering

Thank you--I'm Aritae, but I'm going to try this. Plain ol' steamed veggies can get a bit boring sometimes, but I never met a dull curry. BTW, for those of us who don't live in the UK and don't read a lot of British mystery stories, a courgette is a small squash, like a zucchini. Very good DD food.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #83
aritae
Junior LCF Member

Sounds wonderful, Evian101! I'll definitely try some curries soon. I have some new potatoes, kale, and beets from the farmers market ready to roast for DD dinners this week. I'm actually trying to talk myself our of just cooking them for my UD dinner tonight!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #84
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Thank you--I'm Aritae, but I'm going to try this. Plain ol' steamed veggies can get a bit boring sometimes, but I never met a dull curry. BTW, for those of us who don't live in the UK and don't read a lot of British mystery stories, a courgette is a small squash, like a zucchini. Very good DD food.
I meant, I'm NOT Aritae, but I'm going to try this.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #85
aritae
Junior LCF Member

I thought maybe I was getting identify thefted on the JUDDD boards.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #86
Babyweightbgone
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babyweightbgone
Stats: 185/181.6/124 Height: 5'3; Age: 33
Start Date: Restarted September 2016
I just started JUDDD today. I am new here and actually heard about this diet plan from another diet lifestyle book that claimed this wasn't health promoting lol. I looked it up for myself and really don't think it sounds bad all . I have done very low carb and was exhausted - I have hypothyroid and it definitely made things worse for me. I love that I can have some privacy - when I'm out with family and friends I can eat normally and not get grilled about my diet - they need never know, till I am at goal, about my 'down days' lol . I am so full of hope that this will work for me. I really hope it does! Looking forward to getting to know you all better here

Last edited by Babyweightbgone; 06-21-2014 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Typo
Babyweightbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #87
Cacountrymom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cacountrymom
Stats: 275.0/197.8/140.0
WOE: Low Carb, JUDDD
Start Date: 06/18/2014 (AGAIN!!!)
Sooooo excited to find this group!!! I am on day 3 of doing 2 low-carb shakes and one low-carb meal (down 3.6 pounds) but then found this thread and am really wanting to do JUDDD! I even went on Amazon and ordered the book! Should be here by the end of next week!!!

To tell you the truth, this sounds almost too good to be true! I am post-menopausal and every pound is a battle!!! I gain so easily and lose with much difficulty! Really jazzed to start this tomorrow, even though I haven't read the book! You all have posted so much info, I feel like I can start now!!!

Thanks so much and looking forward to getting to know you! :-)

Tami
Cacountrymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #88
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Babyweightbgone. I and others can tell you that far from not promoting health, this WOE promotes health in ways that go far beyond just weight loss. I am 71 and have had a hip replacement and a knee replacement due to arthritis, and my orthopedic surgeon says my other knee needs replacement. (First he's gotta catch me!) One doctor has said she thinks I might even have fibromyalgia because of the all-over joint, bone and muscle pain. But shortly after starting JUDDD, I noticed a real reduction in pain, and that I was taking far less prescription hydrocodone, and soon I was off hydrocodone altogether and had much reduced the OTC meds. Then I took a road trip, ignored the diet, and couldn't manage to get back on it for a couple of weeks after I got home, and the arthritis came back big time. Back to taking hydrocodone. This week I'm back to doing regular down days, and already I'm back off the prescription stuff and taking fewer and milder OTC painkillers.

Long story, but the point is, SOMETHING about JUDDD is really, really good for people. You are probably right about not telling everyone so you won't have to argue, but some people are receptive. My sister was willing to try it when she saw me losing, and now she's shedding weight she just could not take off before. Like me, it took her a while to start losing, and we lost slowly at first, but JUDDD works for both of us when nothing else did. You have come to the right place, and everyone here is pulling for you. JUDDD really can change your life.

BTW, I take thyroid meds too. Seems like JUDDD can even work around a thyroid problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #89
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Tami. This works for us post-menopausal types too, though it can take a little while for the weight to start coming off, and there will be little bounces along the way. Expect that and don't let it freak you out.

The book is good because it explains the science behind JUDDD, but you are right that you don't need it to do the plan. I have learned way more about actually doing the diet from the wonderful JUDDD Buddds who share their hard-won knowledge and experience.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #90
Cacountrymom
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cacountrymom
Stats: 275.0/197.8/140.0
WOE: Low Carb, JUDDD
Start Date: 06/18/2014 (AGAIN!!!)
Thank you, Beadelia! I appreciate your encouragement and the "warning" about the little "bounces". After tomorrow, I plan to start only weighing once a week - I think that will help me to not "freak out" quite so much. :-)

Looking forward to "talking" to you more along the way!
Cacountrymom is offline   Reply With Quote