Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #121
LoCarbGal
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Yes, you really need to give it several weeks to see what's really happening. Starting out at 333 would be really tough! Dr. J. says 2 weeks Induction at 500 calories, but lots of JUDDD BUDDDs have started out higher and worked their way down.

It sounds to me like you're doing just fine. As long as DDs are much lower than what you would've been eating, it's a win.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #122
totah
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: totah
thank you LoCarbGal really appreciate your words and encouragement...i'm soo happy i did my first DD and it was a success...today is my UD and i'll try to count my calories..or not eat everything in front of me looool...
i have a good feeling about this journey
totah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #123
piratejenny
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by totah View Post
today is my DD i only ate 7 fresh dates - i need my dates lol- with 1tsp tahini butter and a small bowl of green salad with beet and olive oil dressing the second meal was a bowl of low fat milk with special K cereals...and that's it...i'm hoping i'm doing it right...what do u think???
IMO, there's pretty much no wrong way to do JUDDD as long as you count your calories--at least on DDs!

It doesn't matter what kind of food you eat. Vegetarian, low-carb, frozen Weight Watchers dinners, soup, nothing but coconut oil or coffee or water or 10 Pringles 5 times a day....IT DOESN'T MATTER! Whatever keeps you satisfied enough to make it through the day, and hopefully feeling good (not cranky or tired), too.

Even if you mess up a few DDs or a few weeks of DDs you can always start right back up again. You don't HAVE to do an induction or a detox or even buy any special foods...just eat less 3 or 4 days a week.

I strayed from JUDDD for a long time but I'm so glad I'm back. Even if I don't lose all the weight I'd like to, I think I should just eat this way the rest of my life. I certainly don't GAIN weight when I'm doing this...and, it just feels good in my brain, if that makes sense. Calm, in control. Even when I go out of control on an UD, doing a DD the next day just feels like I'm making up for it sort of mathematically rather than punishing myself.

9/04/2014...car accident, in coma for 5 weeks!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-01-2014 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: typo
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #124
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11

Nice to see you back here!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #125
totah
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
IMO, there's pretty much no wrong way to do JUDDD as long as you count your calories--at least on DDs!

It doesn't matter what kind of food you eat. Vegetarian, low-carb, frozen Weight Watchers dinners, soup, nothing but coconut oil or coffee or water or 10 Pringles 5 times a day....IT DOESN'T MATTER! Whatever keeps you satisfied enough to make it through the day, and hopefully feeling good (not cranky or tired), too.

Even if you mess up a few DDs or a few weeks of DDs you can always start right BACK UP again. You don't HAVE to do an induction or a detox or even buy any special foods...just eat less 3 or 4 days a week.

I strayed from JUDDD for a long time but I'm so glad I'm back. Even if I don't lose all the weight I'd like to, I think I should just eat this way the rest of my life. I certainly don't GAIN weight when I'm doing this...and, it just feels good in my brain, if that makes sense. Calm, in control. Even when I go out of control on an UD, doing a DD the next day just feels like I'm making up for it sort of mathematically rather than punishing myself.
i totally agree with you....i hope i''l reach that point where you at now..today was my UD and i lost track of my calories when my sisters came with home made pastries and sweets and also i bought this-kayla itsines bbg- online and i was planning to start today but couldn't with my family gathering ritual and also i didn't understand anything i'm new to exercises never done any my whole life, i guess i just have to figure it out first
anyway i feel like i'm just ranting, sorry lol
tomorrow is my DD hope it will be easier than my first DD...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #126
Shari4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (191.9/170.9/145)66yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 8/24/15 @191.9)
Quote:
i totally agree with you....i hope i''l reach that point where you at now..today was my UD and i lost track of my calories when my sisters came with home made pastries and sweets and also i bought this-kayla itsines bbg- online and i was planning to start today but couldn't with my family gathering ritual and also i didn't understand anything i'm new to exercises never done any my whole life, i guess i just have to figure it out first
anyway i feel like i'm just ranting, sorry lol
tomorrow is my DD hope it will be easier than my first DD...
totah, it will be easier with time! Promise!! Good luck on your DD! I find they are easier than UD's because I don't have to worry too much about what to eat!!

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #127
totah
Junior LCF Member

thanx Shari4...i cheated today...i ate 2 chines springrolls
Old 07-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #128
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Quote:
thanx Shari4...i cheated today...i ate 2 chines springrolls
If that's the worst you did you probably had a respectable DD, even if it wasn't perfect. I try to keep at or under 500 calories, but usually go over somewhat--sometimes as high as 800, though I try hard not to do that. (It helps to drink a cup of broth or eat a couple of celery sticks when I'm hungry, and it helps to keep busy.) But even an 800 calorie DD is way better than I'd do on a day I wasn't trying. Just keep plugging, and the slippages will grow fewer and fewer. Don't forget to hydrate! Adequate water is essential. So is adequate protein.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #129
ladyluch99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyluch99
Start Date: July 2014
Newbie here...

Hello everyone! My name is Sharon. I am a total newbie so I hope I'm doing this right. I found out about JUDDD completely by accident while Internet surfing (wait, does anyone say that anymore?). Anyway, because I firmly believe everything happens for a reason, I don't think it's an accident that I have started doing JUDDD and I have found this forum. I'm not new to dieting. I lost a total of 65 lbs within a year beginning in Oct. 2011. I hit a plateau and was stuck until around the holidays last year when I stopped counting calories and weighing in and began to eat everything in site. In May when I went for my yearly exam, I found that I had gained about 18lbs back and knew I had to get it together. This is my 2nd week doing JUDDD and I haven't weighed in yet but I feel like it's starting to work. I hope this can become my main WOE with great results. I workout anywhere from 4 to 6 times a week at the gym. I also walk just about everyday.

I have a question about JUDDD. If I workout and burn 500+ calories on a DD, can I or better yet, should I eat back my exercise calories?

Ok, enough about me. Thank you for having all this wonderful information available. It really helps. I hope to meet many nice and supportive people on this forum and I hope to be of support to my fellow posters. Have a wonderful day everybody!!!
ladyluch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #130
pandora174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/130's/128
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD, HDE, WW, 5:2
Start Date: January 2012
Hi I officially start on Monday. I ordered my supplements on Amazon and posted under the July newbies thread and had all of my questions and concerns answered. I felt very welcome . My goal is to lose the last 10 lbs of stubborn weight.

A little history on myself. I am 45 years old 5'4. I have been at goal weight for about a year and 8 months. Lost most of my weight (started at 248 lbs) with hHCG and also some vlcd with appetite rx from a clinic. I got as low as 122 but really stabilized at 128. I find I can stick to 128-130 if I eat extremely low carb and never cheat. This was not the way for me to enjoy life and while I did it for over a year I found it not a very satisfying way to live.

I found I really really enjoy my good carbs and lots of fruits and veggies. So while I cut out sugar and the so called "bad carbs" I eat 99 % on plan but I do enjoy the occasional indulgence. So I've tried 5:2, eating in an 8 hour window, counting calories, counting macros, fat fasts, meat & egg fasts etc etc. I found while incorporating all or some of these plans I was steady around 130-132. But the last 3-6 months I've seen a bit of a creep up and find myself even while doing 5:2 or 4:3 @ 132-134. While it's not a huge deal in the big scheme of things and I know I can't complain since it's still thin & I am healthy the bottom line is I am dissatisfied. I really want to stop the creep up and do not want to do another hHCG round and figured if I can do 5:2 or 4:3 why not give JUDDD a go and see if I can lose a few and keep all of my foods in and enjoy an occasional indulgence and not have to stress so much ?

My goal is to lose 10 lbs but I have no set date. Heck anywhere in the 120's and I will be thrilled. I am trying to take it slow and just hope and pray to see a downward trend. My calories are going to be 1594 UD and 319 DD. I find the DD daunting since I am used to 500 but I've been reading lots on this forum with recipe ideas and am going to plan plan plan this weekend. I also exercise (nothing too strenous) but I hit my treadmill or recumbent bike 3 or 4x a week for 30 minutes.

I have serious scale issues. I am daily weigher and even hop on that thing several times a day. On JUDDD I am only going to weigh in after my DD's so I don't get discouraged. I know I shouldn't let the scale get to me but it does. I will weigh in this Monday morning to get a starting point and then only after my DDs.

I also will be posting on the JUDDD boards for encouragement. This is a new WOE for me and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I also am secretly worried it won't work fir me and I will have no choice but to do another hCHG round to re-set my weight to a lower point. Keeping my fingers crossed it works for me.

This weekened I will spend it reading and reading some more on all the threads with so much info so I can be ready for Monday. My goal is to have my menus planned for the first 2 weeks so then I can feel more in control.

Thank you for letting me go on and on

My Maintenance journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-lbs-down.html
pandora174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #131
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Ladylunch - most successful JUDDDers feel that eating back calories you have exercised off is counter productive to success. Why work so hard and then eat it back?

I'm sure others will have an answer, too.

Welcome -you have found a great group!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #132
piratejenny
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Welcome, newbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyluch99 View Post
I workout anywhere from 4 to 6 times a week at the gym. I also walk just about everyday.

I have a question about JUDDD. If I workout and burn 500+ calories on a DD, can I or better yet, should I eat back my exercise calories?
For one thing, when you calculate how many calories you've burned exercising, make sure you're subtracting the calories you would have "normally" burned.

For example, if you lift weights, take a class, walk, whatever, and a calorie calculator says you've burned 300 calories...you didn't actually burn an extra 300. If you would have burned 150 calories in the same amount of time just sitting around watching TV, then you've only burned an "extra" 150, KWIM? I think that's where a lot of people go astray "treating" themselves after a workout.

But on the other hand, it sounds like you exercise a LOT. Getting too hungry or feeling weak & fatigued after exercising may lead you to overeat, quit JUDDD, and/or lose muscle mass & tone. So nourish yourself above all!

One option is to figure out what you feel you do (for example, hard exercise 5-6 times a week), then set the calculator one exercise level lower than that (moderate exercise 3-5).

Good luck!

9/04/2014...car accident, in coma for 5 weeks!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-15-2014 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: correction
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #133
ladyluch99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyluch99
Start Date: July 2014
Thank you for the information. I have never heard anyone say to deduct the calories you would have burned to determine your true calorie burn. I like that. I appreciate everyone's input. Have a great day all!!!
ladyluch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #134
LoCarbGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Welcome, newbies!

For one thing, when you calculate how many calories you've burned exercising, make sure you're subtracting the calories you would have "normally" burned.

For example, if you lift weights, take a class, walk, whatever, and a calorie calculator says you've burned 300 calories...you didn't actually burn an extra 300. If you would have burned 150 calories in the same amount of time just sitting around watching TV, then you've only burned an "extra" 150, KWIM? I think that's where a lot of people go astray "treating" themselves after a workout.

But on the other hand, it sounds like you exercise a LOT. Getting too hungry or feeling weak & fatigued after exercising may lead you to overeat, quit JUDDD, and/or lose muscle mass & tone. So nourish yourself above all!

One option is to figure out what you feel you do (for example, hard exercise 5-6 times a week), then set the calculator one exercise level lower than that (moderate exercise 3-5).

Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #135
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Welcome, newbies!

Good luck!

Whoa! Why didn't they tell us this back when I was doing WW and we learned how to calculate exercise calories (or points or whatever) burned? We were told we could use them to "buy" extra treats if we wanted to, but I sure don't recall anybody saying we should subtract the calories we'd normally burn just by being alive. I think I'm wearing some of those treats still.

Welcome Newbies ! As you can see from PJ's post, you have come to the right place to begin your journey. JUDDD is a healthful, sensible, and simple WOE with benefits that go way beyond weight loss. Read all the back posts you can in all the threads you can, because there's an amazing amount of information there. I read the book for the science, but have learned way more about actually living JUDDD through my JUDDD Buddds, and am still learning all the time. I am still reading through the threads, and sometimes take notes.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #136
LoCarbGal

Sharon and Pandora!!!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #137
nitenurse
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-213)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
I am a returning newbie...6 years ago I lost about 30 lbs on JUDDD (combined with lowcarb), getting ready for my son's wedding, didn't continue it after...regained 15 of them back over the years... But as I was contemplating trying another new spin on lowcarb, I remember that this was really the only food plan that had really worked well for me. I loved the fact that I didn't have to cook much on the DDs, was never too hungry. Liked the fact that whatever I wanted could wait a day. So will see how it goes this time. Will read all the back postings on these sites.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #138
Seabreezes
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #139
pandora174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/130's/128
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD, HDE, WW, 5:2
Start Date: January 2012
A question I am a bit confused about induction for 2 weeks that's mentioned in Dr. Johnson's website. Since I have been doing 5:2 for over 6 months and have very little to lose I figured I would stick to the calorie allotment for me 1594 UD and 319 DD until I got to goal weight. I could be wrong but I think eating 500 calories won't get me losing. I still haven't figured out what I want to do for maintenace but I have time & don't want to get ahead myself. I figure when I get there I will play around with my calories and not sure if I want to go back to 5:2 or just do JUDDD with higher calories.

But the whole 2 weeks induction Dr. Johnson has me a bit confused ? Is it ok to stay on "induction" until I get to goal weight however long that is ?

Have my supplements ready and menu planned to start JUDDD next week. What I have done this week is build my calories back up to 1400-1500 so I don't shock my system when I start my UD. I realize the last few weeks I have eating way too little. This week I haven't been doing DD's either just full fat greek yogurt days which give me the same drop as a DD. Trying to see if I can trick my body into thinking fasting is new to it. Just need to grab a few DD staples to stock up & I can say I am 100 % for JUDDD

Thanks in advance

My Maintenance journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-lbs-down.html

Last edited by pandora174; 07-17-2014 at 07:03 PM..
pandora174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #140
LoCarbGal

back nitenurse! You did great before, so I'm sure you'll slip right back into the swing of JUDDD. Good luck! Post often!

Pandora, I forgot that you had been doing 5:2 before, so you may be right about the 500 DDs. Although, several of us found that we started losing better when we raised our calories, so you may just have to play around until you find what works for you. As for Induction, I would say no need to even worry about that concept since you've been IFing already. You've already got SIRTs working for you! But if it helps you mentally to do a 2 week Induction, than by all means, do it!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #141
nitenurse
Senior LCF Member

JUDDD feels like coming home, probably because I was so happy with it last time. Yesterday, day 1, I really took the day off from cooking, I opened 2 cans, tuna and chicken, and ate them with dill pickles. Not enough, but it was sort of my return celebration, and remember that I really don't get hungry doing this. Today going to do some getting ahead cooking for the DDs, and some shopping. It really helps me not to cook much on the DD so I freeze single servings, and am really happy to be out of the kitchen every other day.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #142
Ariadne
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ariadne
Stats: 136/136/115
Hello all!

I just found out about JUDDD and started yesterday. It was totally doable. I went to sleep thinking about all the unhealthy food I would eat today, but, magically, I am no more hungry than usual.

I used to be quite fat (I never weighed, so I don't know how fat) due to beer and fast food. I lost about 20 pounds low-carbing and then stalled. I lowered carbs and raised fat more and more until I was basically eating nothing but eggs and butter and still not losing weight, plus I had the energy of a dead man, so I quit. I switched to a whole foods plant-based diet and got down to goal. I looked good and felt great, but I want a little processed food now and then! The weight crept back on (more beer and fast-food burritos). I'm not technically overweight, but I look and feel better when I'm lighter.

JUDDD may be just the thing. I like the idea of having a little cushion due to the DDs. I still plan to eat sensibly on UDs, but maybe it won't have to be super strict. I'm also excited about the idea that I may be breathing easier after a couple months.

I look forward to hanging out with you guys!
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #143
Beadelia
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Ariadne! I think I've tried every diet there is, and JUDDD is definitely the most doable over the long run. This is a wonderfully supportive forum, too.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #144
LoCarbGal

Ariadne! JUDDD is so wonderfully flexible. You'll still be able to have some "junky" foods and beverages on UDs, which gets rid of a whole lot of those restriction feelings. And over time (once you've gotten some of those "out of your system"), you won't feel the need for them as often. It's kind of magical. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #145
nitenurse
Senior LCF Member

I ate too much junk on my UD, found that I don't really want most of it. Sugar gave me a stomach ache, chips have lost their charm. Next UD I am going to splurge on fresh fruit, which felt really right, and tomatoes, and nuts.etc. Woke up this AM really happy it is a DD and I don't have to cook or eat much. Lot more time to do other things. This might not be a plan for everyone, but it sure feels good to me.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #146
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/100-108
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I am a returning newbie...6 years ago I lost about 30 lbs on JUDDD (combined with lowcarb), getting ready for my son's wedding, didn't continue it after...regained 15 of them back over the years...
I've said it before but we're genuinely never happier than to learn that a former JUDDD BUDD has returned to resume their place around the virtual campfire of JUDDD.

Several of us have rebooted successfully with JUDDD after straying (*raises hand*). I hope it proves true for you that you shed those regained pounds in a manner and timescale that is agreeable to you.

home

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #147
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
I just found out about JUDDD and started yesterday. It was totally doable. I went to sleep thinking about all the unhealthy food I would eat today, but, magically, I am no more hungry than usual.
Ariadne. It's good to learn that you've had a good early experience of JUDDD. I hope that you enjoy your trial of it and establish whether or not it's a good fit to your lifestyle.

Good Luck!

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #148
Big Mama
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Mama
Stats: Start- 238.8 1st Goal- 170
Start Date: July 21, 2014
New introduction

This is my first time on a weight loss board and my first ever post! I am excited to know that I can come on here and read and get encouragement from others who have been where I am at. I have always been big since I can remember. I am 5'2 and weigh 238. I have been blessed with five children. I considered having a weight loss surgery, but then I decided to give it one more try with dieting. I don't want to have to deal with all the excess skin that surgery leaves. With me having had five children I know my skin will probably not all go back, but I think it may be considerably more by doing this with diet instead of surgery. I have never been able to lose more than 20 pounds. To be honest I didn't look at it as a way of life, just a temporary diet to lose. So I always got tired of it and quit. My husband is medium build and can eat what he wants. But he supports me. My oldest two daughters are following in my steps with their eating and weight gain. I am trying to find something that will not only work for me but also for them as well. We had our first down day yesterday and it was ok. I know I will have to better tho if I'm gonna lose any weight. So here's to a new beginning and a new way of life.
Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #149
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mama View Post
This is my first time on a weight loss board and my first ever post! I am excited to know that I can come on here and read and get encouragement from others who have been where I am at. ..I have never been able to lose more than 20 pounds. To be honest I didn't look at it as a way of life, just a temporary diet to lose. So I always got tired of it and quit....My oldest two daughters are following in my steps with their eating and weight gain. I am trying to find something that will not only work for me but also for them as well. We had our first down day yesterday and it was ok. I know I will have to better tho if I'm gonna lose any weight.
to JUDDD and I hope that you enjoy your trial of it while you work out whether or not it fits comfortably into your hectic life (I'm assuming that from the 5 children ).

Is it useful to have other people in your family sharing JUDDD with you? How old are your daughters that have joined you? Some JUDDD BUDDs have children who have used JUDDD successfully.

If you have any questions, do speak up - post it in the http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...d-newbies.html where you can meet other who may also be interested in your question or they ask ones that may be relevant to you.

Good Luck!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #150
Ariadne
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ariadne
Stats: 136/136/115
Hey Big Mama! It sounds like you are motivated and ready for success. I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote