Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #31
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I tried a lemon cookie recipe which didn't have any eggs so I added two and the cookies turned out okay, but needed more lemon flavor.

I will make them again with only 1 egg and more flavoring.

I also made some almond flour-sesame crackers. They are okay, but very strong on flavor. I couldn't get them as thin as I would like them.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #32
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Isopure Strawberry Smoothie:

Using my 32 "new" Ninja cup, I added almond/coconut milk to about half of it, then some vanilla and cherry flavoring, then a scoop of Isopure zero carb and 26 protein grams, 1/4 cup stevia in the raw, and some frozen strawberries and then set it and the smart IQ pureed it for me and stopped when it was done. I love this machine.

The smoothie is good, no weird after taste since I added the flavorings.
It was great and made me feel better as I was getting very tired before I drank it.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #33
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made the "just like Campbell's" tomato soup recipe.

The sweetner ruined it for me.
Next time, I'll leave out the sweetner.

I love the simplicity of the recipe and it would have been a good soup without the sweetner.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #34
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made some killer good meatballs the other day. Faux meatballs.

I had made lasagna and had leftover ricotta mixed with parmesan and egg, so I added that to a pk of Yves Ground , some ground brazil nuts, and some spices. Those are the most delicious faux meatballs I ever made.

The ricotta-parmesan mix really did something for them. I think I'll make these all the time now.

I don't really measure when I cook, just for baked goods or a brand new recipe that I've never tried. Most of my food, I just make up as I go.

I get a big thrill when something I make turns out good or when a recipe turns out like other people say it does.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #35
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
I have to say that since I can't see you, when I imagine you cooking, I see that dog with an apron!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #36
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hahaha!! He looks just like me.
He is my little kitchen helper/moocher too.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #37
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

You and someone in another thread have inspired me. My mom sent me some walnuts, so I think it's time to make "neat balls" with ground walnuts, gluten, and cottage cheese. I think I should put some kind of hard cheese in there also, and have some kind of sauce. I don't know if I want swedish-style or sesame sour cream. But this might be next week; this week I need to work on stuffed peppers and a batch of chili.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #38
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds good to me. I use Kraft Parmesan in the green can a lot for adding filler to meatballs and meatloaf type recipes. I think most any hard cheese would be good though.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #39
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't use gluten last time and the texture was just all wrong.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #40
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you google gluten free vegetarian meatball recipes, several come up. I noticed one of them uses oats in it. I do use oats in my faux meatloaf--it seems to make it the most like meatloaf.

Hopefully you will find a recipe that works for you. If you do, please share with us.
I'm always interested in Gluten Free Recipes too.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made Buttoni's Daikon Radish Hash Browns

They are pretty good..remind me of turnips. I could get used to them. They do seem like hash browns.

I think I need to find a suitable vegetarian protein to add in for a great breakfast hash.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #42
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I meant to post in here and forgot. So, I got a bargain bag of green bell peppers for 99 cents and was going to make my usual southwestern style stuffed peppers. Instead, I went for Italian: Tofurkey Italian sausage, a little rice, parmesan, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and spaghetti sauce. I put them in the crock pot for 4 hours on high. Yum. They smelled so good while cooking. I think my measurements are as follows: 5 peppers, 1 cup cooked rice, 4 sausages, 1 cup spaghetti sauce, 1 cup dry powder cheese, liberal sprinkles of spices (I never measure, sorry, but it's probably a half teaspoon of each). I forgot salt, usually do. If I did use it, it was onion salt. I oiled the bottom of the crock well with olive oil. I made sure to pre-cook the sausages in the microwave to 165 degrees, just to be safe, and chopped them up before putting into the filling. I count 25 net grams per pepper.

Last edited by Food Lady; 02-17-2015 at 06:37 PM..
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #43
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I think I need to find a suitable vegetarian protein to add in for a great breakfast hash.
Make corned "beef". Get some Tofurkey beef-style deli slices or Morningstar hot dogs. Make a brine with pickling spices in it and soak the "meat" for a day or so (pre-cook the hot dogs for safety). Then you can chop it up and cook it in hash. I've also been known to make a reuben sandwhich with it.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #44
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the ideas.
Those stuffed peppers sound delicious!!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #45
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I made the "just like Campbell's" tomato soup recipe.

The sweetner ruined it for me.
Next time, I'll leave out the sweetner.

I love the simplicity of the recipe and it would have been a good soup without the sweetner.
Have you got this recipe? I used to add a lot of basil, garlic and Italian herbs to Campbell's tomato soup back in the hc days. I sure do miss it.

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #46
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post
Have you got this recipe? I used to add a lot of basil, garlic and Italian herbs to Campbell's tomato soup back in the hc days. I sure do miss it.
Thanks for reminding me. I have made it once. The next time I will leave out the sweetner cuz I just didn't care for it. I like the acidity of tomato products. It does taste a lot like Campbell's soup though.

I usually make mine by sauteeing onion, bell pepper, and celery and then use canned diced tomatoes and some spices and add in cream at the end or no cream, depends on if I have any in the fridge or not, but I like it chunky. Sometimes I blend It all up in my Ninja.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #47
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh silly me...I think you were wanting the recipe, right?

1 can Hunt's tomato sauce(8oz)
1/2 can water
1/2 can cream
1 teaspoon splenda

Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan. Heat and serve.
*note, the splenda does make it sweet, so maybe it needs less*

Last edited by Nigel; 02-20-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #48
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made Linda Sue's squash casserole a few weeks ago. It was good, but I really don't like leftover squash so the boy dog got the leftovers. The casserole was okay, nothing I'd make again though.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #49
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Nigel, you're good in the kitchen. Do you know a good recipe for a chocolate mug cake? I'd just use white whole wheat flour because it only has 14 carbs per 1/4 cup. I have cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips on hand at all times.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #50
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've never made one that was low carb. I' wouldn't mind trying your recipe.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #51
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made Char's Bread and Butter Jalapenos yesterday.
They are delicious!! I didn't have the cloves or the allspice, but they still turned out fine.
I got about 1 1/2 qts of them.
They remind me of fire and ice pickles...they have a good kick to them too.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #52
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fire and Ice Pickles

I made these years ago, but now that I've made the japs, I want to make the pickles again.

Fire 'n Ice Pickles

1 large (46 ounce) jar whole dill pickles, about 6 cups sliced (not kosher dill) ***~I just bought a jar of sliced already~
2-1/2 cups of splenda or stevia, divided
4 cloves of garlic, minced or thinly sliced and divided ***~I left this out of mine and added in a T. of dried onion flakes~
2 teaspoons of pickled jalapeno, chopped, or to taste, can also substitute fresh jalapeno peppers if desired
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of pickling spice, divided, optional (recipe below) ~***Store bought is fine.

Drain the pickles and discard juice but reserve the jar. Slice the pickles into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and divide into four equal parts.

Begin layering into a larger jar, bowl or container, starting with one-fourth of the pickles - in my case it was roughly a 1-1/2 cup measure of pickles per layer. Top the pickles with 1/2 cup sweetner, 1 clove of garlic sliced or chopped, 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon of chopped jalapeno, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pickling spice, if using, dropping a clove in between the layers. Continue repeating the layers, pouring all of the remaining sugar on top.

Cover jar and store on the counter for about an hour, or until the sweetner begins to liquify. Stir or simply shake to mix the pickles well, and pull any undissolved sweetner up from the bottom. Cover and leave on the counter for several more hours, or overnight. Stir and refrigerate 1 to 2 additional days. If desired, transfer the pickles with their juices back into the original or other smaller jars and store in the refrigerator. Avoid consuming the whole pickling spices. ***~I put mine in the fridge after the first hour.

Use for snacking, in sandwiches and burgers, in salads, or wherever you would usually eat pickles!

Cook's Note: To keep these on the mild site, simply eliminate the jalapeno and red pepper flakes. Use a large jar (around 46 ounces) of plain, whole, dill pickles and slice them 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick for best results. Don't use kosher dills. They don't react well to this process and just turn into a shriveled mess. Be cautious about generics. I used the large jar of Great Value dill pickles and they shriveled on me even though they were not marked kosher. If you don't want low carb, then substitute Sugar for the sweetner.

Homemade Pickling Spice

1 tablespoon of whole mustard seed
1/2 tablespoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves, optional
1 small bay leaf, crushed

Combine ingredients. Use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of mixture per layer.

Last edited by Nigel; 03-16-2015 at 11:31 AM..
Old 03-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #53
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
Vegan "Sour Cream" Tofu based

Yesterday, I really enjoyed a restaurant meal that included tofu "sour cream." Vegan sour cream never really tastes like real sour cream to me, but I do like what it does to add texture and creaminess to some things. The store-bought stuff is very pricey. The restaurant's was good, and much better than what I had made on my own in the past. I decided to try to perk up my old recipe a bit to see if I could get it to taste like what I had yesterday. This is pretty close, and one I'll be happy to have in the refrigerator!

Tofu "Sour Cream"

Ingredients:
•1 package silk tofu (mine was 16 oz.)
•5 Tbsp. lemon juice
•2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
•1 tsp. garlic powder
* 1 tsp. mustard powder
•1/2 tsp. salt
•1Tbsp. water (more if too thick)

I dumped all this into my Blend-tec and let 'er whiz. It comes out very smooth and creamy in a high-speed blender. If yours isn't as powerful you might need to add a little more water - try a teaspoon at a time.

Not sure how long it will keep, but at the rate my DH piled it onto his dinner tonight, it won't be around too long.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #54
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Nigel - on another thread you mentioned you'd like to find a vegetarian hot dog recipe. I have saved this one to try - it sounds promising. It's from the Fat-Free Vegan website. I've liked everything I made so far from that site. I'm not sure when I'll have the chance to try it, but here it is in case you have the time now and want to give it a whirl.

Homemade Veggie Dogs - Recipe by Susan Voisin on the Fat Free Vegan website

Ingredients

1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup cooked pinto beans, well-drained
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon hickory smoked salt (optional)
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup oatmeal (rolled or quick oats, uncooked)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds

Instructions

Put the onion and garlic into a food processor and pulse to chop finely. Heat a small non-stick skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion mixture back to food processor.
Add the pinto beans, water, coconut aminos or soy sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings to the food processor. Blend until it’s a thin paste.
Combine remaining ingredients (gluten, oatmeal, yeast, and flax) in a large mixing bowl. Add the contents of the food processor and stir until combined. If it seems that there’s not enough moisture, add another tablespoon or two of water. Knead in the bowl for about two minutes until a heavy gluten “dough” is formed.
Set up a steamer in a pot of water and bring the water to a boil. Cut off 8 pieces of aluminum foil or parchment paper, each about 6 inches long. Divide the gluten into 8 equal pieces. Place a piece of foil or parchment on the counter. Roll a piece of gluten between the palms of your hands until it’s about the size and shape of a hot dog. Place it on the foil/paper and roll up. Roll the tube back and forth, pressing lightly with your hands, to give it an even shape, and then twist the ends closed. Repeat with the remaining gluten to form 8 veggie hot dogs.
Place all the veggie dogs in the top of a steamer, cover, and steam for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Store the veggie dogs in a covered container in the refrigerator. Warm gently in a frying pan or microwave or on a grill before serving.

Preparation time: 20 minute(s) | Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #55
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, PenguinPower. I have added it to my recipe cache. I don't know when I'll be able to try it, but hopefully soon.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #56
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

I had some time to cook today and tried the veggie dogs - they were easier to make than I thought, and are quite good! The only change I made, I don't have any smoked salt (never heard of it lol) so I used a few drops of liquid smoke and 1/8 tsp salt. Next time, I'll up the salt and liquid smoke just a little bit.

The original recipe says it makes 8 hot dogs, but I got 10 nice-sized hot dogs. I used a frozen Hebrew National Fat-Free hot dog as my measurement guide - my hot dogs turned out a little bigger than that one, so I could have probably made 12 out of the recipe. This is the nutritional info that was posted with the original - if you make 10 or 12 dogs from it, the numbers would be even better. Nutrition (per serving): 115 calories, 11 calories from fat, 1.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 135.9mg potassium, 11.6g carbohydrates, 2.5g fiber, less than 1g sugar, 15g protein.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #57
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I decided to go for the cheaper green bell peppers last night, so I grabbed 4 that were already turning orange. Score! Batch of red lentil southwestern stuffed peppers in my future.
I'd like to figure out how to make vegetarian ham for Easter next year.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #58
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Yum, Food Lady - did you post the recipe somewhere? Sounds delish.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #59
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I did. Nigel, help me out. Which of your threads did I put that in? Ugh; I have Modern Woman Syndrome. That means I can't remember anything anymore.

OK, I looked and I can't find it. Basically, I eyeball the amount of cooked quinoa or lentils I need to fill the 4 peppers. It's usually something like 3 to 4 cups worth. This time I will use red lentils. I will dump those in a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, about 1/4 cup water, 2 to 3 cups cubed cheese*, a heaping tablespoon of cumin, a couple of heaping teaspoons of minced garlic out of a jar, a sprinkle of onion salt, onions (as much as I want, sometimes diced fresh, sometimes dry minced, sometimes just powder), a very liberal sprinkling of paprika, and maybe squirt of ketchup for that hint of sweetness. If I have bouillon of some kind on hand, I add a crumbled cube in. Just do it to taste. Mix it up, stuff the cleaned peppers, and cook them on high for 4 to 5 hours in a crock that's been greased with olive oil. Make sure the peppers touch the side; you want them to caramelize on the hot crock.

*You can use shredded cheese, but I always do the cubed because I get a good deal on it. A local dairy makes it out of scraps (cut into tiny cubes), so there's pepperjack and cheddar and swiss and something else in there, and it works fine despite the weird mix. It's $2 a pound, unheard of, and only carried in one grocery store. I've never seen it in my life until now. If it weren't available, I'd just use your typical shredded, packaged Mexican blend or just cheddar.

Last edited by Food Lady; 04-13-2015 at 11:10 PM..
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #60
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Food Lady - I think I'll do a batch, I scored a deal on some yellow peppers at the flea market, so I'll try those.