Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #61
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I did. Nigel, help me out. Which of your threads did I put that in? Ugh; I have Modern Woman Syndrome. That means I can't remember anything anymore.

OK, I looked and I can't find it. Basically, I eyeball the amount of cooked quinoa or lentils I need to fill the 4 peppers. It's usually something like 3 to 4 cups worth. This time I will use red lentils. I will dump those in a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste, about 1/4 cup water, 2 to 3 cups cubed cheese*, a heaping tablespoon of cumin, a couple of heaping teaspoons of minced garlic out of a jar, a sprinkle of onion salt, onions (as much as I want, sometimes diced fresh, sometimes dry minced, sometimes just powder), a very liberal sprinkling of paprika, and maybe squirt of ketchup for that hint of sweetness. If I have bouillon of some kind on hand, I add a crumbled cube in. Just do it to taste. Mix it up, stuff the cleaned peppers, and cook them on high for 4 to 5 hours in a crock that's been greased with olive oil. Make sure the peppers touch the side; you want them to caramelize on the hot crock.

*You can use shredded cheese, but I always do the cubed because I get a good deal on it. A local dairy makes it out of scraps (cut into tiny cubes), so there's pepperjack and cheddar and swiss and something else in there, and it works fine despite the weird mix. It's $2 a pound, unheard of, and only carried in one grocery store. I've never seen it in my life until now. If it weren't available, I'd just use your typical shredded, packaged Mexican blend or just cheddar.
Sorry FoodLady...I too suffer from CRS (can't remember stuff) and sometimers (sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't.)...might be an age thing or we just have too much on our minds.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #62
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Thanks Food Lady - I think I'll do a batch, I scored a deal on some yellow peppers at the flea market, so I'll try those.
It's good with red, yellow, or orange peppers. I've done it with green and they are not quite sweet enough. Red are my favorite, though. BTW, you absolutely cannot overdo the onion or garlic in this recipe, but the cumin can be overdone.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #63
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I made "fish" tacos. I cooked a gardein fishless fillet, which is battered. I warmed up 2 corn tortillas and split the fillet between them. I topped with cold slaw mix (just bagged stuff from the salad section), pre-made salsa (the refrigerated kind, not the stuff in the jar) and white sauce. For the sauce you mix 1/4 cup sour cream with 1/4 cup mayo and add the juice of half a small lemon. You could do lime also. I sprinkled on some onion salt for good measure. They were just like I remembered from Rubio's Baja Grill in southern California. They put cilantro in their white sauce, not lemon, but this was my idea from a copycat recipe that got it almost right.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #64
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
This is an oldie but goodie - one of our favorite vegetarian dishes, very easy to make, and low carb if you serve over shiritaki or zucchini noodles. We had it for dinner tonight. My comments in ( )

Spinach Stew

ingredients

2 small onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons oil
2 tomatoes, peeled, and sliced (I use a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, reserve juice)
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I also like to add some color peppers too)
2 pounds fresh spinach, chopped, (I use a 2.5# bag from Costco)
OR
2 small packages frozen spinach (much better with the fresh if you have it)
1 teaspoon salt
2 chili peppers
OR
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons peanut butter
directions

In a heavy skillet or stew pot, saute onions in moderately hot oil until golden. Stir in tomatoes and green pepper. After a minute or so, add spinach, salt and hot pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Thin peanut butter with several tablespoons of warm water (I use the reserved tomato juice) to make a smooth paste. Add to the pot. Continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, and keeping a close watch to prevent burning. Add small amounts of water as necessary (I use vegetable broth) so that the stew doesn't stick to the pot bottom. Serve with rice or a stiff porridge. (We love it over mashed potatoes or whole-wheat noodles, or low-carb options)

Recipe Source: "The Africa News Cookbook : African Cooking for Western Kitchens"
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #65
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I'm thinking of making seafood enchiladas with that "fish".
Old 04-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #66
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The spinach stew sounds good. Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry, I never learned to like fish or seafood, not even tuna.
I hope your enchiladas turn out good.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #67
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I made too many sweet potatoes the other day, and don't like them as well after a few days (they seem to lose their flavor), so I tried this and it was really good!

Sweet Potato Chia Chocolate "Pudding"

1 cup cooked and peeled sweet potato
1 to 1-1/4 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 ripe banana
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1/4 cup cocoa powder
A little bit of sweetener if desired, I used some S/F chocolate syrup from Walden Farms

Directions: Use a food processor or good blender and blend together everything except just use 1 cup of milk to start and don't add the sweetener to start. Taste, and then add more almond milk or sweetener if necessary. Chill - sets up and tastes best after a few hours.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #68
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's very interesting Penguin. I would never have thought of that.

Thanks for the recipe.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #69
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Avocado chocolate pudding is good, too.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #70
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Sounds like a good idea Penguin. I see sweet potatoes used in recipes often now. I am not a fan of sweet potatoes and I don't why. It isn't like I have any dislike. I ate plenty while growing up and always love just plain baked, in the jacket.

On the chocolate subject, I'm determined to get the chick pea fudge just perfect. The flavor, texture and sweetness is right but just need to get the solid chocolate to the point where there'll be the perfect firmness.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #71
KetogenicGurl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetogenicGurl
WOE: LC-HF-LP Plant based
Start Date: 2-1-2015
Amazing Ricotta Strawberry ice cream (instant)

I had to share this here as I changed the Stella recipe given.

2 cup frozen strawberry- cut up if large
1 cup LOWFAT or FAT FREE Ricotta- 50 calories p 1/4 cup <4 carbs
Truvia/Stevia, etc sweetener- 1/4 cup
1tbl vanilla.

Blend in food processor 2 minutes… eat or freeze immediately

I added 1/2 tsp. FOOD Glycerine which makes it creamier and more sticky
and I used less strawberries, and ADDED 1/4 C HWC…this is a bit wetter, and when placed in freezer is more like real ice cream.

i am so in love with this dessert.. whole milk Ricotta is too many carbs and calories and sugar..so this is one LC recipe where nonfat/low fat saves calories and carbs.
KetogenicGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #72
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made a simple recipe yesterday out of whey protein powder, dried cranberries, coconut milk and crushed popcorn.

The taste is good, but they are chokey dry...so dry.
I am not sure how to make them less dry, but I'm thinking of making a new batch with some peanut butter added.

Also maybe hull-less popcorn would work better.

Anyway, I like the idea of this recipe to get in some extra protein. It uses a cup of protein powder and a couple of small pieces fill you up.(maybe cuz I had to drink so much water to get them down? lol)
I think I'll keep tweaking this and see if I can get a better version and then I'll post the recipe.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #73
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Lots of pumpkin recipes out there right now.
Chocolate Covered Katie posted a crustless pumpkin pie on her FB page which I will bake later today when I have the over on for dinner.
I'll use almond flour.

I made baking powder using 2 parts cream of tartar and 1 part baking soda.
Commercial baking powder has starch added to reduce clumping so rising power is reduced as well.
The homemade version is awesome and I will never go back!!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #74
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The homemade baking powder sounds good. Mine always expires before I use it.

...if only I liked pumpkin....I have tried to like it for years, but its just not happening...
Old 09-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #75
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tasty Pimento Cheese

I have to start out by saying that I rarely measure unless its a baked item.
I am only guestimating the amounts here, so if you try it, you might have to adjust for your taste.

I have made lots of pimento cheese recipes and I make this a couple of times per month, just cuz I like it and its super easy.

Tasty Pimento Cheese

1 jar roasted red peppers (dollar store size)
4 oz grated pepper jack cheese
12-16 oz grated Colby/jack cheese (I don't know the exact amount cuz I had mine vaccumed sealed in a quart jar and it was pre-shredded from Sam's)
1/3- 1/2 cup sour cream
1/3-1/2 cup mayo

Put all ing. into food processor and pulse til mixed well. I used my Ninja but its just like a food processor. I used the pulse so it wouldn't get totally pulverized.

This pimento cheese is the best I've ever made...reminds me of Prices without all the preservatives.

Today I made stuffed jalepenos out of it. Yum!!

Last edited by Nigel; 09-30-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Old 10-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #76
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I made coconut 'bacon' this morning. I use Simple Veganista recipe leaving out the liquid smoke and adding a little water to make up for the lost liquid.
I don't have maple syrup so subbed agave. I don't even have maple extract.

I stayed in the kitchen and stirred/respreads every five minutes. I tasted it right out of the oven and really didn't think it was worth it BUT after it completely cooled it was crispy and delicious!

I'm going to have a tomato/avo open faced sandwich for lunch and will add coconut 'bacon'.

Really worth keeping this recipe.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #77
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That sounds interesting. I saw coconut bacon on a tv show and Guy Fieri said he really liked it. Thanks for the review.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #78
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

The fat in coconut give it that bacony crispness. Very hard to stop picking at it.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #79
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

It's that time of year when I crave soup. I want seafood chowda, which is what I usually want in late winter. I am loving those Gardein fishless fillets. I'm thinking of microwaving them and slipping the breading off. I always microwave them before crisping in the toaster oven. They don't get rubbery. I'd use daikon radishes instead of potatoes. I think canned would be fine. Maybe I would throw in some Worthington Skallops. Maybe I could top with coconut bacon. I just don't have time to do it this week, but maybe Sunday.

I do think I should make some red lentil soup in the meantime. I can just throw the lentils, some carrot gratings, dry onions, stock, garlic, and bay leaves in a pot and cook 20 minutes. Sometimes I add red wine.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #80
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice to see you here, Foodlady.

I have problems when I eat garlic--it just totally does not agree with me.
Lately onions have been giving me grief too.
I love my salsa so I decided to make some without the onion or garlic.
I didn't think it would be good, but it worked out okay.

I didn't actually measure the tomatoes.

Nigel's Salsa:

1-2 lbs tomatoes
1 medium Anaheim pepper
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
1 small can chopped jalapenos
handful of cilantro

blend all on pulse cycle til you get the consistency you like

I started off with just a few tomatoes and while the salsa had great flavor, it was super hot, so I kept adding tomatoes until it was decently hot.
I just clipped a handful of cilantro from my garden, so I really don't know how much to say it was.

It made 2 jars (12oz) so I froze one to see if it will hold up in the freezer.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #81
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kohlrabi

I made a Kohlrabi gratin last night with gouda cheese.
It was pretty good...when you boil the Kohlrabi, it loses a lot of the cabbage flavor, so it was more like eating au gratin potatoes.

Next, I'm going to make Kohlrabi hash and see how that turns out.

Kohlrabi is very low in carbs...I am surprised there aren't any threads on it somewhere.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #82
Eugaea
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eugaea
WOE: Dec. 2015: Brain tumor removed!
Start Date: October 2015
Kohlrabi is delicious. This super easy recipe from Saveur is a keeper too:

Butter braised kohlrabi

2 lb. kohlrabi, trimmed but unpeeled and cut into 1″ cubes
1 cup chicken stock
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
1 1⁄2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Put kohlrabi, chicken stock, 2 tbsp. butter, and thyme into a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper and cover with a parchment-paper circle cut to fit inside rim of skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kohlrabi is tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover, remove pan from heat, and add the remaining butter, swirling skillet until butter melts. Serve warm.

Let us know how the hash turns out. Sounds tasty!
Eugaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #83
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I used to sautee kohlrabi with fresh corn cut from the cob. It was delicious.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #84
Eugaea
Senior LCF Member

Anyone have a good LCHF recipe for pine nut cookies? I'm not too into fat bombs, but I need something I can take with me during the day to up my fat. I thought that maybe pine nut cookies or macadamia shortbreads would be good - where it's mostly nuts barely held together with batter so the fat content stays high. Anyone want to try their hand at penciling in how to modify recipe? I've got almond and coconut flours on hand, corn starch, and xanthum gum.

The one fat bomb type thing I've liked so far is the 10 Sec Orange Butter Pecan Fat Bomb Bites from lowcarbediem.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #85
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know if anyone over here will have nearly as many HF recipes as on the keto threads.

Beauty and the Foodie has a No Bake Chocolate Lemon Dream Ball that I love, although, I usually lose the lemon and use almond extract.

Otherwise, anything with nut butter and CO or butter, like fudge.

Maybe someone else will chime in......
Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #86
Eugaea
Senior LCF Member

Oops, thanks for the redirect. I lost track of which subforum this thread was in. Or I got distracted by Nigel's delicious kohlrabi. My apologies for posting a recipe with chicken broth upthread! Revise that to using something like Imagine Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth instead.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #87
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eugaea, thanks for the recipe. No worries about the chicken stock, we can always use vegetable stock.
I don't know anything much about modifying cookie recipes as I don't bake very much at all.

Thanks for the idea jem51.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #88
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugaea View Post
Anyone have a good LCHF recipe for pine nut cookies? I'm not too into fat bombs, but I need something I can take with me during the day to up my fat. I thought that maybe pine nut cookies or macadamia shortbreads would be good - where it's mostly nuts barely held together with batter so the fat content stays high. Anyone want to try their hand at penciling in how to modify recipe? I've got almond and coconut flours on hand, corn starch, and xanthum gum.

The one fat bomb type thing I've liked so far is the 10 Sec Orange Butter Pecan Fat Bomb Bites from lowcarbediem.
Well, flourless cookies use egg, sweetener, and nut butter. Is it possible to process the pine nuts or macadamias into a butter in the Cuisinart? I think the proportions are 1 egg, 1 cup sweetener (or was it 3/4 cup?) and 1 cup nut butter. However, I usually add 1/4 cup or so of some kind of low-carb flour like coconut or white whole wheat or almond. IIRC, you bake at 375 for like 10 minutes. I highly recommend parchment paper.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 AM   #89
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is not really a recipe, but I'll post it anyway.

Last night I steamed up a delicata (dumpling) squash in the microwave. I'm not a fan of sweet squashes and this one was, but not as sweet as other winter squashes.

I took out the pulp and added salt, pepper, and butter. Then I mixed an equal portion of that with some leftover mashed potatoes. They were good.

So I figure I'm getting a lot less carbs this way and I can have mashed potatoes again. Next, I'm going to try that with kohlrabi and then with jicama. I'm in experiment mode now, since it's not so hot in the kitchen.

The best part...my wife liked it too. My boy dog loved the squash. He loves all squash. He's so lucky that way.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #90
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quinoa Irish Soda Bread

2 cups quinoa flour
1-3/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp caraway seeds
˝ tsp fine sea salt
Ľ tsp baking soda
1 cup plus 1 tbsp buttermilk or non-dairy buttermilk (
˝ cup golden raisins (I left these out as I didn't have any)

Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two mini metal loaf pans (6x3 inches)
  1. In a large bowl, whisk the quinoa flour, baking powder, caraway seeds, salt, and baking soda.
  2. Add the buttermilk and raisins and mix until blended. Divide dough between prepared pans, spreading evenly.
  3. Bake 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool in pans 5 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks. Makes 2 small loaves.

This stuff was delicious. My sister loved it and I didn't mind it. I was testing recipes out with her this past weekend.

Last edited by Nigel; 12-16-2015 at 02:48 PM..