Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #301
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I added a tablespoon of coconut cream (from the top of a can of coconut milk) to my tea and it gave me the worst stomach ache.
I usually know better than to eat straight fat but it seemed tea world dilute it enough.....I guess not.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #302
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Bummer.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #303
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
hi ladies

I am considering a vegan life with keto. I am not sure how well this will go but I have been zero carb for a longggg time with an all meat diet. I am thinking about switching to fish first with veggies.

My thought is does anyone experience weight gain after going from animal to veggies?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #304
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Food Lady
Quote:
My thought is does anyone experience weight gain after going from animal to veggies?
I did, but I wasn't doing low carb. Also, I was nearing 40 when I went vegetarian. Middle-aged spread and all that. I can do moderate carb as a vegetarian, but I don't think I could do it vegan. I rely on dairy and eggs too much.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #305
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I did exactly what I would've done following Atkins; added small servings until I reached my limit.

I started out with vegies and dairy. I lost 10# in a very short period.
First I added beans then gradually added in some whole grains.
I cut back on fats but have found that I feel better with a moderate amount with most coming from whole foods like nuts/seeds, avo, etc but I am not at all afraid of salad dressing and sautéing.

I don't kid myself into thinking I can eat all the starch I want and still eat lots of vegies.

I stretch starches with flax, chia, hemp, etc.

Funny thing is that I thought I was so carb sensitive and had all these triggers but now all that is gone.
Sometimes I think, 'oh, I could eat more of that', but I am aware that it has nothing to do with hunger.

Go at your own pace and do what works.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #306
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Raspberry Sale

I did the grocery shopping last night and I scored.

I got raspberries for .97 per carton.
I got blueberries for $1.98 carton
Strawberries for $1.84 carton
Cucumbers 3/$1
Bell peppers 3/$1
Cilantro 3/$1
Roma Tomatoes .98 lb

They haven't been having much for yellow squash lately. Last week there was one single yellow squash and it looked like it was on its way out.

They haven't had any spaghetti squash for a long time.

They did have jackfruit. I didn't think it was worth $33 and the carbs for something I might not even like. It was $3 per pound and the monster thing weighed 11 pounds.

I tried dried jackfruit once and I didn't like it at all. I have seen lots of vegetarian tacos made from jackfruit, but alas, vegetarian isn't necessarily low carb, so I had to pass. It was the first time I'd seen them in a store.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #307
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Not surprised about spaghetti squash since it's the same season as pumpkin. I still see a few that've survived storage. They're not great, though.

Jackfruit for savory dishes is green and not sweet. That is why it is found mostly in cans packed in water in brine. The green variety is not high in carbs, at all.
They are huge and continue to ripen so no way could I use a fresh one.

Yellow (summer) squash should be available in your neck of the woods....farmer's market?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #308
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You would think we would have farmer's markets around here but we really don't. Occasionally a gardener will set up in the square to sell his extras.

There is one for a month or so during June and July about an hour or so from here and they do have great stuff, when they are open. I stock up and freeze stuff too from there. They have the best tomatoes and okra and squash I have found. They live behind the little building their kids sell it from.

I'm hoping to go that way in a week or so.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #309
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
I've used the jackfruit in the cans, never the fresh. I like it okay but can't say I rave over what I've made with it.

I picked up some great fruit deals this week too, Nigel - raspberries and blackberries and blueberries were all 99 cents a pack. Aldi had watermelon for $3.49, 3 kiwi for 69 cents, and green grapes for 98 cents #. I made a delicious fruit salad today.

We have one semi-decent farmers market about 20 mins away. It used to be great but as years have gone by the number of farmers has greatly diminished. This place has a rule that they can only sell what they actually grow or make, and as the old farmers have retired or died off, their stalls have been gradually taken over by bakers, or other homemade food type sellers. We have a local flea market where we can usually get some good deals on the weekends. Today we picked up HUGE homegrown cantaloupes for $3 each, and a lot of veggies.

My own garden isn't doing so well. We were doing a lot of traveling in late spring so I got a really late start and never have gotten ahead of the weeds. I've only been able to harvest a little parsley and cilantro (very little!) and some herbs. Tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zukes and swiss chard are just getting started, and have a long way to go.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #310
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You got some great deals there penguinpower.

Bummer about the garden. I didn't even try to have one this year.
I had a container garden last year and the funny thing is that one of the bell pepper plants survived thru the freeze and everything and now it has one solitary bell pepper growing on it. Pretty wild.

My wife had mini roses planted in a big pot and they seemed to die off and then we got tons of rain and they came back. I don't know anything about roses, so I was surprised.

We got a big yellow watermelon this weekend from a guy selling them out the back of his truck. It was $8, but unfortunately it was also over ripe. We ate a little of it and I pulverized the rest of it and froze it in bags for juices later on. That's the problem around here...if someone is selling melons, you don't know how long they have been there so generally they are overripe...I had forgotten about that.

On a good note, our local grocery store has the baby watermelons for $1.98...they are usually $3.98, so I might snag a couple tomorrow cuz I have to do the shopping then.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #311
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

You guys got some good deals.

Organic blueberries are finally in at Costco in the big clamshell for $5.49. TJ's will have them cheaper but our place in OR is not near or even close.
We will make a Eugene run soon and stock up on some things.

My blueberries are doing well but producing in small amounts right now. Having a big bowl of fresh berries is just too good....

I bought a pound box of organic cashews at Grocery Outlet for $6.99. They are just plain roasted whole ones. I was worried they would be stale but they taste great.
Organic cashew pieces have been on sale this month at the HFS for 7.50 and I have bought some small amounts...raw. It is nice to have the whole ones sometimes.

I'm waiting for the price of organic peaches to come down. Last year they stayed really affordable all summer so I'm hoping.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #312
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That was a good deal on the blueberries.

I tried growing some a couple years back, but it just gets too hot here and I had no shade to move them to.

They only come on sale here about this time of year for $1.98 for the small plastic box of them. Most of the time, I end up buying frozen blueberries.

I buy about 10 of them when they are on sale and wash them and put them in freezer bags for juicing later on. I sometimes put them in pancakes, but that's about all I do with blueberries. If I ever make muffins, I would put some in there too.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #313
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

I only like wild blueberries. Cultivated ones taste and have the mouth feel of cardboard. Trust me, go wild and you'll never go back.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #314
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

I like the TJ's wild blueberries but not most commercial ones.
The PNW organic ones are really good. The blueberries grown in FL, organic or not, had little flavor.
The blueberries growing in my back yard are awesome.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #315
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

I have a blueberry plant in a pot. Last year, it produced four blueberries lol - and the birds got every one of them. This year there are about 20 berries, and the birds were already checking them out (they are just starting to develop a little color). I brought it inside and have it sitting at the patio door. I'm determined to taste one this year!

We had a very cold and wet spring, and now it's stinking hot - 92 today, which is 10 degrees above our average for this time of year. No rain for days. My poor garden looks very hot and limp.

We picked up two huge cantaloupes at the flea market today - they were $3 each but must weight at least 10# apiece. I also got six red peppers for $2, and 8 lemons for $2. One vendor had white peaches that smelled so good, you could smell them from 20 feet away. We bought a small box and unfortunately they are over-ripe, just like your watermelon, Nigel!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #316
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Coupla tips on the blueberries. If you have it in a pot, move it to a bucket. We have some blueberries in 5 gal buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. They need room for root growth.
This is only temporary until we can move them into the ground but some have stayed in buckets for years waiting....

The other thing is that they are acid lovers. Using a more acidic soil mix (peat) and then using an acid lovers fertilizer will make them happiest. Fertilizers for rhodies/azaleas, etc work great.
We use an organic one then add coffee ground which are also acid.

Even in buckets we get plenty of berries.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #317
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
I only like wild blueberries. Cultivated ones taste and have the mouth feel of cardboard. Trust me, go wild and you'll never go back.
I spent a summer in Alabama in 2001 and I was living right next door to a beautiful forest. We went and picked wild blueberries. They were a lot smaller than the regular blueberries in the store, but they had a lot of flavor.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #318
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peguinpower, I wonder if netting would keep the birds off?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #319
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, right, Nigel.

They guy up the street has a row 15-16 plants long and he just covered the whole row with some kind of thin cover.....not netting but it allows plenty of light to come through.

So, judging from my bushes, we covers them when the berries are changing color but not dark enough for the birds to bother with.

The birds start testing my berries pretty early but by the time their ripe, there's so much other stuff ripening that they don't eat too many.

Growing blueberries is one of the most satisfying, I've experienced.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #320
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I spent a summer in Alabama in 2001 and I was living right next door to a beautiful forest. We went and picked wild blueberries. They were a lot smaller than the regular blueberries in the store, but they had a lot of flavor.
My mom says they have more taste units per square inch. It's true!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #321
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sprouts has blueberries for .98 this week, if anyone is interested.

I went yesterday but I have so many in the freezer, I had to pass on the deal. They didn't have much else or maybe I was just tired already...it was a very long day for me.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #322
Food Lady
Major LCF Poster!

We don't have Sprouts here. sad face
Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #323
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Lady View Post
We don't have Sprouts here. sad face
We don't have one here either...but we do have one about 85 miles east of here and a TJ's and a whole foods. All we have in the town about 12 miles from here is an HEB grocery store and a Walmart and Family Dollar, Dollar General, and a very small Dollar Tree. That's it for stores besides a couple of clothing stores, etc.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #324
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nothing much going on in my neck of the woods, but the heat.

I've been rebuilding part of the back porch and working on fixing up my outdoor kitchen. We decided we wanted to screen it in, so I'll get to that part later...too many irons in the fire as usual and the heat does me in. I'm out in it a lot, but it still gets to me after a while.

I haven't been cooking much, just easy stuff lately and a little juicing. I've been eating lots of salads and veggies.

I don't know if anyone is near Universal City, past San Antonio (Texas), but I saw that they have a produce place called Straight From the Crate, there and they take orders in advance and you have to pick them up. It sounds like a good deal for $40, if the produce is as good as it looks in the pics...you can just buy products outright too.

I am thinking I need to plan a trip over there the next time I'm going to SA.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #325
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Is it a CSA or more like a buying club?

When I was growing up in Atlanta, we always had a screened in porch. I still love them but they are rare here....not as many bugs, I guess.

I remember eating TG dinner on the porch...Nice memory.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #326
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think its more like a buying club/farmer's market.

They provide a list of items they have available that week and you phone in your order. I have no idea how much you get for $40 but people have been very happy with the service. You have to go and pick up your order on Wednesdays or Saturdays.

It's also open to go and shop in 6 days a week. I think its just in Universal City, which is a fair drive for me, but I'm always up for an adventure/trip.

Produce...it takes so little to get me excited. lol

Yeah, we always wanted a screened in porch....the bug zapper helps, but it doesn't kill the mosquitos...it's a constant battle every summer.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-21-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Old 07-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #327
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I went to a cooking demo/class at the local SDA church. This town is very small and the dozen people there seemed like a good size group.

They made an oatmeal/walnut burger that was delicious, cashew cheese and a black bean/rice casserole which was really boring and seemed like a waste of good ingredients, avo dip, asparagus soup which tasted like avocado soup, and a tofu/spinach dip.

A cashew cheese cake with a dark chocolate glaze was prepped in advance and, of course, was a big hit.

The teacher was really disorganized. She is Russian with a strong accent and the recipes were typed up with spelling exactly like her pronunciation (deel for dill, deep for dip). Crazy.

Still gotta give them credit.
She was a real purist never using things like canned beans and such, which was refreshing.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #328
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Air fryer should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to that appliance. I've been following a vegan air fryer group....lots of tips there.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #329
penguinpower
Senior LCF Member

Air fryer! I have to haul mine out of the basement and give it another try. I bought it a couple of years ago when I was still doing LC, and used it exactly once (cooked a chicken). I didn't like the way it turned out and it was a pain to clean so I packed it away. Out of sight out of mind lol. I've grown very fond of oven-fried potatoes though, and never thought to try them in the air fryer instead. Which one did you get, jem? Mine is called a "Big Boss" and it's a lot bigger than I expected it to be.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #330
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The air fryer sounds interesting.